Steam Deals Thread V13 ~ Star Wars Empire at War $6.80 | The Legend of Korra $10.04 | Red Faction Guerrilla $2.99 |

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNinjaSquirrel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
Summer sale has come and gone; welcome to the Steam Deals Thread V13!

Stop: Before you go any further be sure you are using Enhanced Steam. It will save you a lot of time and embarrassment in the future.

Daily Deal
Star Wars: Empire at War Gold Edition - $19.99 $6.80

Yesterday's Deal

N/A

Midweek Madness
The Legend of Korra - $14.99 $10.04

Red Faction - $9.99 $1.49
Red Faction II - $9.99 $1.49
Red Faction Armageddon - $19.99 $2.99
Red Faction Guerrilla - $19.99 $2.99 

Thanks to EastX, Detruire, Psydero, and everyone else that has contributed to the thread!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just finished Resident Evil: Revelations (PC), a few minutes or so ago - and yes, it's good...really good.

Even though I liked RE6 despite its numerous flaws - yes, Revelations as a game, is way more consistent + better overall than Resident Evil 6 (PC).

If you Kickstarted or pre-purchased Defense Grid 2, it is now unlocked.

If you liked the first, this is more of the same with a few new additions. The voice acting and dialog, oh my, makes the ears bleed and the soul wither. Other than that, I am having fun so far.

Just finished Resident Evil: Revelations (PC), a few minutes or so ago - and yes, it's good...really good.

Even though I liked RE6 despite its numerous flaws - yes, Revelations as a game, is way more consistent + better overall than Resident Evil 6 (PC).
I don't know why anyone would compare it to RE6, they have completely different styles of gameplay. Apples and oranges.

Anyone have experience with this collection on Steam in comparison to GOG? I know GOG does some nice treatments for these older games and I was wondering if these editions on Steam have been optimized to play on newer systems as well?
Fom http://www.bethblog.com/2014/06/18/fallout-classics-return-to-steam/ --
  • All three games have Steam Cloud enabled for save games.
  • Fallout 1 & Fallout 2 can be launched in either default or classic versions. Default allows for high resolutions and Classic is the original, unmodified release.
  • Fallout Tactics is unmodified. Multiplayer works with direct connect.
  • While Fallout 1 and Fallout 2 can run full screen on Windows 8, Fallout Tactics is will need to be run in ‘Windowed Mode’ on Windows 8.

I don't want to play a fruit.
bananasinpyjamas.jpg

I don't know why anyone would compare it to RE6, they have completely different styles of gameplay. Apples and oranges.
They both are part of the RE franchise.

While they are different - i.e. RE:R, for the most part, uses way more survival horror gameplay elements (even though it has a few of those RE5+6 elements - i.e. play as different characters; have an AI companion with you most of the game; KB-mouse controls are more like RE5+6); while RE6 is more action-esque and more of a blockbuster - RE:R just is paced better, overall.

RE6's biggest problem for me was in different campaigns, expect to experience the same areas, levels + boss-fights over-and-over again and again...without much or any change to the actual level, area, or boss-fight. RE:R does use back-tracking + you will go through some of the same areas again....but, with some kind of change - i.e. it might be normal at one point w/ normal traversal by foot, then later that whole area's underwater later and the gameplay's much different.

RE6 is also a much bigger game, much more ambitious, and much huger scope than RE:R. And that doesn't always translate into a better experience, IMHO.

RE:R is better than RE6, IMHO.

RE6's biggest problem for me was in different campaigns, expect to experience the same areas, levels + boss-fights over-and-over again and again...without much or any change to the actual level, area, or boss-fight. RE:R does use back-tracking + you will go through some of the same areas again....but, with some kind of change - i.e. it might be normal at one point w/ normal traversal by foot, then later that whole area's underwater later and the gameplay's much different.
You're wrong. That's the coolest part of RE6, the interwoven story told from multiple perspectives.

You're wrong. That's the coolest part of RE6, the interwoven story told from multiple perspectives.
I never complained about the interwoven story - that was very cool.

It's how they tackled it, which varies in its execution - namely, on the gameplay.

The problem for me was doing the same exact missions, areas, and boss-fights in a different campaign without much difference in their actual gameplay.

There was a gameplay overlapping, which I was very fond of, though...

RE6 Spoilers

The only time I was really applauding the same boss-fight was the boss fight w/ the dinosaur-like monster was different: one perspective was on the ground w/ one campaign for Leon; while in another campaign, you were in a helicopter shooting at it....

Now that - that was damn cool.

MysterD said:
They both are part of the RE franchise.

While they are different - i.e. RE:R, for the most part, uses way more survival horror gameplay elements (even though it has a few of those RE5+6 elements - i.e. play as different characters; have an AI companion with you most of the game; KB-mouse controls are more like RE5+6); while RE6 is more action-esque and more of a blockbuster - RE:R just is paced better, overall.
I think of RE6 is a Hollywood movie. RE:R as an indie movie. 6 is over the top. R is one you want to like, but poorly executed.

Kept thinking the Talk Like a Pirate deals were a weekend promotion.  Whoops.  I'll wait and pick up that card game during the next sale when I'll get extra cards for spending my GabeNbux.  This is also why I didn't grab Amalur last week, figuring it'll go on sale for that price again before I'd get to playing it.

It speaks volumes when the best part of a game is how the story is told.

Especially an RE title. Yuck.
You're reading too much into my post. I was responding to MysterD's vitrol toward the RE6 presentation, and wondering if he also hated non-linear movies. I liked the mechanics of RE6 better than RE5 (RE:R is on the to-play-"soon" list).

I found the interwoven story told from multiple perspectives cool, and it's rarely found in games I play.

Can anyone recommend a good online guide for understanding all the Steam database bullshit? These tags, codes and region restrictions are making my head hurt.

Kept thinking the Talk Like a Pirate deals were a weekend promotion. Whoops. I'll wait and pick up that card game during the next sale when I'll get extra cards for spending my GabeNbux. This is also why I didn't grab Amalur last week, figuring it'll go on sale for that price again before I'd get to playing it.
That card game is kinda fun, but not nearly as strategic as made out to be. Oh, and it is pretty frustrating as well due to the fact that scores can fluctuate ridiculously in the last turn or two. Meaning, you can kick ass the entire game, have a 30 point lead, and lose by 20 points on the last turn. :|

So I finally got around to playing some Garden Warfare.

Game would freeze on load initially and it turns out it does not play nice with any overlays.  Meaning if you run into the same issue then disable Origin overlay (yep, Origin slows it to a crawl) and anything else (in my case i had Overwulf running too).

Once I got it going though it is a TON of fun.  Exactly what a PvZ MP game should be like.  I heard it was fun, but I didn't think they'd get it this right.  

Right now I'm leaning towards the Cactus class but I do want to try them all out.  I'll admit the game play isn't entire new (FPS/TD mix) but everything about it is done well.  I've been playing the defend your garden mode and you get matched up with other plants and fight off waves of zombies.  You can just shoot away or also use your special abilities.  The Cactus has a wall of defense, land mine, and a drone you fly and shoot zombies from above.  I played a bit with the chomper and it has a special ability where you burrow into the ground and jump out and swallow zombies whole.  So far the Chomper is like a melee class and the Cactus is like a machine gunner.  

Different rounds also have boss zombies that are a lot tougher to bring down.  Strategy helps too since different teammates are better at different things.  You earn coins during each round and then you can use the coins to buy sticker packs that can do anything from unlock skins to give you turrets you can plant during the game.

I also tried around of PvP and that was pretty fun too, though I prefer the PvE.

Only annoyances so far:

1.  Disconnection issues.  So far I've been able to finish 4-5 rounds, but I was disconnected out of 3 others.  The plus side is it saves the coins you've earned up to that point.  The sucky part is if it happens near the end of a round you don't get the bonus points for finishing the round.

2.  Kids.  A lot of kids playing this.  I don't mind, except they like to leave their mics on the entire round and you hear their whiny voices all round.  Maybe there is a way to mute them, I'll have to look into that.  

If I'm playing a multiplayer game I pretty much mute everybody. 99% of what anybody says is idiotic and serves no purpose in the context of the game.

You're reading too much into my post. I was responding to MysterD's vitrol toward the RE6 presentation, and wondering if he also hated non-linear movies. I liked the mechanics of RE6 better than RE5 (RE:R is on the to-play-"soon" list).

I found the interwoven story told from multiple perspectives cool, and it's rarely found in games I play.
My problem is NOT w/ the interwoven story elements - I thought it was cool, seeing how the stories do actually connect. I just thought this could've been executed better - A LOT better, on the gameplay front.

I think RE:R does a better job w/ the multiple characters + stories, on the gameplay-wise side-front.

It's the actual gameplay in RE6 that suffered b/c of how they re-used levels; re-used long-winded boss fights (especially the re-use of a certain type of boss fight in 2 campaigns); and other things.

Also - it's probably NOT best to play RE6's campaigns in a row, in some regards - especially with doing Chris's campaign and then Jake's campaign (which is the order the game had them listed in!). While, playing all of the campaigns in a row might help you connect the stories together better by doing so - the repetitious nature of certain things (levels + boss fights) w/out much differences entirely is the major problem I found w/ the game; and that's pretty much my only real complaint really w/ RE6.

Regardless, I thought the 1st campaign (Leon's) and the last (Ada's) were the two best campaigns in the game - and easily worth the price of admission for RE6.

Movies are a different beast entirely. RE6 (game) lasted me around 30+ hours, whereas movies last normally say around 1hr 30m to sometimes even 3 hours. It's much more tolerable to have a little bit of repetition in a film, as opposed to a bunch of repetition in a 30-hour plus game. Movies that have done the multiple-stories thing - such as Pulp Fiction, 11:14, and Go, IMHO, I thought did at least a decent job w/ it.

It's the actual gameplay in RE6 that suffered b/c of how they re-used levels; re-used long-winded boss fights (especially the re-use of a certain type of boss fight in 2 campaigns); and other things.

Also - it's probably NOT best to play RE6's campaigns in a row, in some regards - especially with doing Chris's campaign and then Jake's campaign (which is the order the game had them listed in!). While, playing all of the campaigns in a row might help you connect the stories together better by doing so - the repetitious nature of certain things (levels + boss fights) w/out much differences entirely is the major problem I found w/ the game; and that's pretty much my only real complaint really w/ RE6.

Regardless, I thought the 1st campaign (Leon's) and the last (Ada's) were the two best campaigns in the game - and easily worth the price of admission for RE6.
I played all the RE6 campaigns back-to-back in coop but not in the menu-presented-order. I think I played it in this order. I don't get the "repetition" you complain about. Each campaign story is unique and intersects with the other campaign stories a few times.

I liked Jake's campaign and Leon's campaign the best. Ada's was weird because I was playing the SP campaign in coop so Ada's partner was nameless, faceless, and had no dialog/interactions.

Favorite character: Sherry.

Runner Up: Helena

<waits for MysterD's extensive review of Double Dragon: Neon's story>

2. Kids. A lot of kids playing this. I don't mind, except they like to leave their mics on the entire round and you hear their whiny voices all round. Maybe there is a way to mute them, I'll have to look into that.
Yes, there is. If I can remember it right, on the player list, if you click on the "speaker" icon, it mutes all players voices

I played all the RE6 campaigns back-to-back in coop but not in the menu-presented-order. I don't get the "repetition" you complain about. Each campaign story is unique and intersects with the other campaign stories a few times.

<waits for MysterD's extensive review of Double Dragon: Neon's story>
Ashes, I actually don't have Double Dragon: Neon.

When I get it, of course - you can expect a review from me on that.

I played Resident Evil 6 mostly solo, all by my lonesome self. While some things do overlap and then part of the area of a level's much different - and that is fine, to an extent, as long as it ain't too damn extensive for me. In some parts, it did get to me and felt extensive.

Namely, I found the overlapping in Jake's and Chris's campaigns....

...which have the same boss-fight w/ the same Huge B.O.W. Monster, multiple times...

...quite freaking annoying. Once was enough for that particular boss fight, IMHO - especially since it's so epic, in the first place. It's not something that needed to be replicated again + again, in different campaigns, IMHO.

Especially even more so true, if you play the campaigns in the order, as the game has it presented to you - i.e. Leon; Chris; Jake; then Ada.

That particular boss fight did NOT need to be re-done, numerous times.

When doing another campaign w/ the same-style boss-fight - they could've easily allowed for "skipping" over boss fights that basically actually play the same way.

As I mentioned earlier....

...The overlapping "dino" boss-fight w/ Ada's campaign w/ being in the helicopter + while Leon's campaign being in the ground was freaking epic + awesome - b/c they were both done so differently, gameplay-wise.

With that boss fight in particular b/c it's so different in game-play, I'd have no problem w/ them making the player not be able to skip the boss-fight, since it's so different in how it's tackled.

There's also this other thing you mentioned - you played it in co-op; which could add an extra element to the game that you and others that love co-op could highly appreciate - which could also be why I'm hearing some people loving Destiny for its co-op elements, yet others not liking it too much when being played alone. I'm sure those who play RE6 in co-op, that extra element co-op element could override a little or even completely the repetition element + other flaws, depending on how the gamer wants to feel + look at things.

Well...I didn't play RE6 in co-op, for better and/or for worse, which depends on one wants to look at that. Maybe the game lends itself better suited to co-op experience b/c of some of its repetitive native (i.e. re-used boss-fights and some areas/levels)? I can't speak for it here - since I don't normally play that way; and I didn't play that way for RE6. I play most of my games solo, if and when it's allowed - and when games do allow it, I do feel my solo-experience should also be top-notch, as should the MP experience for MP players. I'm just not truly that fond of most MP experiences, these days + age.

I don't expect you to always agree with me, yet I don't expect me to always agree with you. We're allowed to have different opinions on things. Games are so subjective, anyways - what you see as awesome, I might not see the same way; and this all could be for very different reasons.

OK, who left the toaster oven on?
Well, Ashes says that she didn't "get the repetition" that I was complaining about.

So - I felt that I had to point out my complaints, in spoiler territory.

I surely could also go on about another epic boss fight in Resident Evil 6, which is used more than once in different campaigns...

...i.e. the boss-battle where those storage crates are, to be specific - which isn't too much different in the campaigns that its used in, gameplay-wise...

...but, I figured my long-winded post was already long-winded enough.

The Pinball Arcade Kickstarter for The Addams Family pinball is already 70% to goal, so get in now if you're interested. They also announced that they were interested in doing The Simpsons Pinball Party as their next table -- another awesome license and a very deep table.

So I finally got around to playing some Garden Warfare.
Sounds awesome... are there no singleplayer modes though? Not only don't I want to hear dumb kids, I probably don't want to play with them either.

I played Resident Evil 6 mostly solo, all by my lonesome self.
That's your problem.. you played it wrong. RE6 is much better in co-op.

If you're gonna compare RE6 and RE:R, you should list some of RE:R's flaws.. RE6 technically has much better gameplay when it comes to the shooting mechanics. While the enemies have weakpoints in RE:R, it's not as obvious as in RE4/5/6 and your shots barely make the enemies react. I would say the shooting is the worst part of the game. Also, your "partner" in the game is useless and doesn't do any damage, so while you may not have liked the character presentation in RE6.. at least they weren't just for show. Some of the issues may have been fixed if it wasn't originally designed for the 3DS

For atmosphere and story RE:R wins hands down, but the way RE6's story was presented added to the charm of the game for me.. so while the story wasn't great in RE6, the presentation was pretty good. For gameplay I prefer RE6, but for story/atmosphere I'd go with RE:R.

The Pinball Arcade Kickstarter for The Addams Family pinball is already 70% to goal, so get in now if you're interested. They also announced that they were interested in doing The Simpsons Pinball Party as their next table -- another awesome license and a very deep table.

Sounds awesome... are there no singleplayer modes though? Not only don't I want to hear dumb kids, I probably don't want to play with them either.
Not that I could find. Maybe someone else is more familiar with the modes. The main mode I played was called Garden Ops and it's billed as a single player mode, but it's not, it matches you up with 3 other players and you play co-op defending your garden from hordes of zombies.

I will say that playing with the kids isn't really an issue. I didn't come across anyone mad or saying offensive stuff.

Thoughts on Dead Rising 3 (2 hours in):

In a way, it's what I expected, but in another way it's a little different than what I wanted. I always liked the DR series because it's sort of a quirky, humorous zombie game. Doesn't take itself too seriously. Most of that is still in there. Zany weapons, crazy combo weapon creations, silly plot, etc. You still have masks you can put on zombies (I think, still haven't figured that out yet).

I think the main issue I have is with the "upgraded" fancy graphics the look of the game doesn't really reflect the zany nature of the game. I guess I shouldn't be complaining, but overall everything looks more realistic, but then it sort of is at odds with the game. I guess I wish the graphics were a little more cartoonish. Odd complaint I guess.

Otherwise, the game is just more of the same from the DR series. Kill a ton of zombies, do missions, find collectibles, create combo weapons, kill more zombies, etc. Wish they would bring the photo mode back, but that's been long gone.

{Spoder's thoughts on RE:R + RE6}

That's your problem.. you played it wrong. RE6 is much better in co-op.

If you're gonna compare RE6 and RE:R, you should list some of RE:R's flaws.. RE6 technically has much better gameplay when it comes to the shooting mechanics. While the enemies have weakpoints in RE:R, it's not as obvious as in RE4/5/6 and your shots barely make the enemies react. I would say the shooting is the worst part of the game. Also, your "partner" in the game is useless and doesn't do any damage, so while you may not have liked the character presentation in RE6.. at least they weren't just for show. Some of the issues may have been fixed if it wasn't originally designed for the 3DS

For atmosphere and story RE:R wins hands down, but the way RE6's story was presented added to the charm of the game for me.. so while the story wasn't great in RE6, the presentation was pretty good. For gameplay I prefer RE6, but for story/atmosphere I'd go with RE:R.
There should be a better solution from the dev's for playing the game solo, if they actually allow for it to be played like such. There are things they could've done, to make things better for solo-players. I chose to play this way, since it was an actual given option by the dev's + publisher.

For example - D3 + RoS in solo gives the player optional Lore to read/listen to + also plenty of constant character banter from the AI, to keep the player engaged in elements that are normally more common in SP games; making it a much more SP-friendly game than that series ever was before. Granted, the storytelling isn't by any means great in D3, mind you - but at least it's still there and another reason to actually try to keep the player constantly engaged, if they're going to tackle the game solo-style. RE6 doesn't have to take those methods or do those things D3 does - but, they could come up w/ something to make the game more engaging, at times...especially w/ those interwoven sections, levels, and boss fights.

RE6 is NOT a spectacular story + the characters aren't spectacular, by any means. There's so many characters, though - that the lack of character-depth can be a bit forgiven, since it has such huge ensemble of characters from the game's entire franchise...and (probably) after numerous games, they've expanded plenty (probably) already on the actual characters. Keep in mind, I ain't played RE1,2,3 - so, I've probably missed out on some of that stuff).

The RE6 story itself is more of the typical "Virus let loose, some agents must save the day + find out who's corrupt and at the bottom of this" template that RE series has been using. The thing that makes this RE6 stand-out - there's so much overlapping + interweaving of the plot here, that this actually works for the benefits of the game, on the story + plot side of things. On the gameplay front - this overlapping doesn't always works for me b/c the repetitious nature of areas + boss-fights, which can be overbearing...especially on the things I've already mentioned and cited, in my few posts about RE6 today.

RE:R really never bothered me with the way the AI handled. I never really paid much attention to if the AI was doing damage - interesting that you do mention this, though...as I don't really recall the AI actually really killing enemies. Though, when they do shoot - at least they were knocking them back a bit. I've been able to line-up shots b/c of their "attacks". As you said - for atmosphere + story, RE:R is certainly much better than what RE6 had going on - I certainly agree w/ that.

Garden Warfare is MP only. Your best bet would probably be to group with some CAGs here that own it. Fox obviously, and I think Carlmundo and Sifu have it. I remember a few others picked it up when it was on sale but I forget who exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back