Steam Deals Thread V13 ~ Star Wars Empire at War $6.80 | The Legend of Korra $10.04 | Red Faction Guerrilla $2.99 |

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNinjaSquirrel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
Summer sale has come and gone; welcome to the Steam Deals Thread V13!

Stop: Before you go any further be sure you are using Enhanced Steam. It will save you a lot of time and embarrassment in the future.

Daily Deal
Star Wars: Empire at War Gold Edition - $19.99 $6.80

Yesterday's Deal

N/A

Midweek Madness
The Legend of Korra - $14.99 $10.04

Red Faction - $9.99 $1.49
Red Faction II - $9.99 $1.49
Red Faction Armageddon - $19.99 $2.99
Red Faction Guerrilla - $19.99 $2.99 

Thanks to EastX, Detruire, Psydero, and everyone else that has contributed to the thread!

Last edited by a moderator:
Valve does have some questionable customer service.
Some?

I fear for anyone having to deal with Steam support for the first time and may the lord have mercy on you if its something serious. With a userbase so large, its unfathomable how completely rotten and basically non-existent their support is. uPlay and Origin may not have the same sized userbase, but at the very least dealing with their service is mostly a decent experience. Steam support is an exercise in futility.

Some?

I fear for anyone having to deal with Steam support for the first time. With a userbase so large, its unfathomable how completely rotten and basically non-existent their support is. uPlay and Origin may not have the same sized userbase, but at the very least dealing with their service is mostly a decent experience. Steam support is an exercise in futility.
I was banned once because someone brute forced my account (I'm fairly sure, it was a unique password and you can't install without a password. Plus I log processes.) during a time I couldn't use Steam Guard (Somewhat early in its life) because I would never received a confirmation email to add my computer as a safe device. One day I was at work but remoted in to my home computer and saw myself get kicked, so I changed the password (And tested Steam Guard again, which finally worked for me). Then a month or two later, bam the ban happened. Sent a support ticket, no reply for a week. They give me minimal information, I ask for more within an hour of them replying. A week later, I get a reply that's even less helpful. Finally a week after that I get a final reply saying that I have been unbanned and they wouldn't tell me why.

3 weeks of being unable to access my account roughly with zero explanation. Unable to use my account what so ever. I'll never understand how they still haven't fixed their customer service. It's absolutely fucking abysmal.

I have to say that I actually got phone support one time for Origin.  The Origin representative was great and very helpful.

I really wish Steam would put more into customer service.  

Along the same line, I would say that if buying an older game go with GOG for update and support.  septerra core for instance is better going through GOG.

My two main issues with Steam;

1) customer support (not to say I do not appreciate the forums for each game)

2)update/support of older titles

just my 2 cents

eh.. so use that financial growth to hire more help. Basically you imply that Valve has the means to improve their customer service quality but chose not too? And all the excess profit are used to expand Emperor Gaben waist line?
I'm not sure why but that's the reality of it (in terms of their employee size). A lot of the money goes into wacky research (like VR, SteamOS, Steam gamepad, etc.).

I'm not sure why but that's the reality of it (in terms of their employee size). A lot of the money goes into wacky research (like VR, SteamOS, Steam gamepad, how to fit GabeN through doors, etc.).
56922481.jpg

I'll never understand how they still haven't fixed their customer service. It's absolutely fucking abysmal.
They have no financial incentive to do so. Think about it. Origin and uPlay are a joke compared to Steam, and most of their users only exist because they have to use said service just to play certain games. Steam has no competition, thus they have no incentive to improve customer support. Until such time as the US passes more consumer friendly laws and we get the ability to move our libraries to another service at will, we're all kinda fucked. For the most part Steam only changes/improves things that have a return on investment.

They have no financial incentive to do so. Think about it. Origin and uPlay are a joke compared to Steam, and most of their users only exist because they have to use said service just to play certain games. Steam has no competition, thus they have no incentive to improve customer support. Until such time as the US passes more consumer friendly laws
Don't count on this anytime soon under a Republican Congress. We can't even get student-loan reform.

and we get the ability to move our libraries to another service at will, we're all kinda fucked. For the most part Steam only changes/improves things that have a return on investment.
And this is just a pipe dream. No government entity is going to question the license/subscription model for digital goods because it's too embedded in our business culture. And changing from a license to an ownership model is the only way portability would ever work. And, frankly, there's no incentive, as you say, for any of the digital stores to support that, because hosting your games and supporting them with tech support (such as it may be) and patches does cost those companies money to do.

Student loan reform? I just want Congress to vote on something other than repealing Obamacare. The whole political issues spectrum is open, let's shake it up a little.

https://twitter.com/VG_Dave/status/541987994673377281

At least it was like -76% off from Putinland.

Edit: Maybe I can finish Witcher 1&2 before release. :D

https://twitter.com/VG_Dave/status/541987994673377281

At least it was like -76% off from Putinland.

Edit: Maybe I can finish Witcher 1&2 before release. :D
Argh. I want to be able to "dislike" this! I was really looking forward to this coming out in February--I even snakeybro'd it and did a preorder on GOG (through a 3rd party, of course--I couldn't completely abandon my CAG principles).

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to rest secure in the knowledge that CD Projekt Red is probably delaying it so they have sufficient time to ensure that it will be the GOTY for 2015.

Argh. I want to be able to "dislike" this! I was really looking forward to this coming out in February--I even snakeybro'd it and did a preorder on GOG (through a 3rd party, of course--I couldn't completely abandon my CAG principles).

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to rest secure in the knowledge that CD Projekt Red is probably delaying it so they have sufficient time to ensure that it will be the GOTY for 2015.
You preordered on GOG?

Mind-Blown.jpg

Isn't it better to buy it on Steam so MAYBE you can use the same key to register it on GOG like it happened with Witcher 2?

I believe they said it's not planned to be possible with The Witcher 3.
This plus I didn't want to run the risk of a Steam key region-lock/revocation before release because I was using a Yakov Smirnoff third-party trader. I've never heard of CD Projekt pulling any of those kinds of shenanigans with GOG.

I hope the GOG Galaxy patcher works better than the old system... Patching The Witcher (1) (GOG Edition) was a really annoying.
I have no experience with patching GOG games, but is it really worse than Steam's "let's redownload the whole damn thing" system?

This plus I didn't want to run the risk of a Steam key region-lock/revocation before release because I was using a Yakov Smirnoff third-party trader. I've never heard of CD Projekt pulling any of those kinds of shenanigans with GOG.

I have no experience with patching GOG games, but is it really worse than Steam's "let's redownload the whole damn thing" system?
With Steam, usually you only download the files that were updated.

With GOG... you either get an update patch (for many modern releases) or you have to download the entire thing again.

With GOG... you either get an update patch (for many modern releases) or you have to download the entire thing again.
I remember GOG having patch issues with some semi-recent games such as Wasteland 2 and maybe Divinity Original Sin.

Steam has the best patching system by far, I'd be surprised if anything ever comes close to being as good.

Hm. I've found that it's also hit-or-miss with Steam. Sometimes "patching" involves just downloading updated files and sometimes it involves redownloading 10s of gigs' worth of data (aka "the whole game").

New Bundlestars Killer Bundle - $4.99

STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl
Demonicon
Pixel Piracy
Year Walk (excellent game, btw)
Alone in the Dark (excellent game, btw)
Albedo
Kraven Manor
Fate: Cursed King
Loren the Amazon Princess
Real Boxing

Links are a' coming
Waggles, were both of these editorial comments supposed to be YCS?

Never mind, I glanced at some reviews for Year Walk on Steam, and apparently it's considered to be quite good.

Still a pretty great bundle for Demonicon, Loren, and the last Fate game.

The only games that I've had to redownload the "whole" game were early access titles. Other than that any huge downloads are usually the addition of some dlc or language files.

Wow, that's actually a pretty good bundle. Actually really want Pixel Piracy, Year Walk, and Fate, and have a morbid curiosity toward Alone in the Dark. If somebody doesn't own those and somehow also doesn't have Stalker this is a fantastic deal.

The only games that I've had to redownload the "whole" game were early access titles. Other than that any huge downloads are usually the addition of some dlc or language files.
Maybe I'm just remembering it wrong or maybe I'm annoyed with Steam because I had to redownload LOTRO several times in the past week for some kind of weird DirectX 9 issue that I still haven't successfully resolved.

Did the Steam store search bar auto-complete function basically stop working for anyone else? In both client and browsers, it went from working, to only working on the first letter typed, and now zilch. I hate results pages when I know exactly what I'm looking for.

Did the Steam store search bar auto-complete function basically stop working for anyone else? In both client and browsers, it went from working, to only working on the first letter typed, and now zilch. I hate results pages when I know exactly what I'm looking for.
It doesn't work for me either, even exact word searches tend to bug out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69REY-a8xxU

And that IS an excellent bundle. Well worth the five bucks. Warning though, Alone in the Dark still has limited activation Securom. :(

And here's an Activision Delisting Alert!

Family Guy: Back to the Multiverse is 80% off right now. This probably means it'll be removed at the end of the year. Get it from a Russian for a couple of bucks.

Same here, I was figuring it was just my phone acting up.

And here's an Activision Delisting Alert!

Family Guy: Back to the Multiverse is 80% off right now. This probably means it'll be removed at the end of the year. Get it from a Russian for a couple of bucks.
I was holding out for a good sale on the PS3 version so I could play co-op with my nephew (or possibly even my wife), and I snagged it for $10 (=cheap for console :drool:) during the recent sale. I'm not getting that Man-Boob pack for $7 or whatever ridiculous price they're trying to sell it for, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back