Steam Deals Thread V13 ~ Star Wars Empire at War $6.80 | The Legend of Korra $10.04 | Red Faction Guerrilla $2.99 |

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNinjaSquirrel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
Summer sale has come and gone; welcome to the Steam Deals Thread V13!

Stop: Before you go any further be sure you are using Enhanced Steam. It will save you a lot of time and embarrassment in the future.

Daily Deal
Star Wars: Empire at War Gold Edition - $19.99 $6.80

Yesterday's Deal

N/A

Midweek Madness
The Legend of Korra - $14.99 $10.04

Red Faction - $9.99 $1.49
Red Faction II - $9.99 $1.49
Red Faction Armageddon - $19.99 $2.99
Red Faction Guerrilla - $19.99 $2.99 

Thanks to EastX, Detruire, Psydero, and everyone else that has contributed to the thread!

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone wanna recommend a good HoMM type game that's capable of running on older (winXP) systems? Only ones I know of are the Kings Bounty series (which I've played and enjoyed, not sure how it'll work on XP) and the Disciples series, which I've never played.

And no one bothers to scramble around trying to get it because they already have 18 extra copies they can't unload.

Please tell me you did not buy bundle shit on Steam.
Technically Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons has been in a bundle. Same as How to Survive. They just weren't in a very good bundle-tier.

Brasil (respect the spelling) is still doesn't have region-locked gifts? WATTTT. I haven't been paying attention (not that I was in the market for training since the news).
Psst' Not talking about on Steam directly. There are just certain storefronts based there that you can enjoy provided you're willing to move to South America.

But yeah, Steam doesn't have the ability to region-lock keys without publisher consent as far as I know, so no mass region-locking on those.. for now.

I posted my haul. But no one gives a shit about that. (and I won a few in auctions and only bought Super Time Force)

EDIT: Simply noted that I did some spodering and said I bought a singular IG bundle. I know what clutter is.

Psst' Not talking about on Steam directly. There are just certain storefronts based there that you can enjoy provided you're willing to move to South America.

But yeah, Steam doesn't have the ability to region-lock keys without publisher consent as far as I know, so no mass region-locking on those.. for now.
Got it. No news then.

That weird ass comma thing annoys me almost as much a date first then month. Damned foreigners!

I did see one time when some dude from Brazil went on Kickstarter thought he was pledging 15 dollars by using a comma after the 15, but, well... ;)
Month-Day-Year format drives me batty. I grit my teeth when I use it to avoid blowing my cover. Year-Month-Day or Day-Month-Year are both ordered... but Month-Day-Year makes as much sense to me as Month-Year-Day.

That's seriously funny.

Removed store name – Post Apocalyptic Mayhem
Wow, weird. No great loss... though I do wonder what happened (publisher contract ended?).

By bundle fodder, do you mean games that have ever been in bundles or games that were bought from bundles?

I was just respecting their local currency. Can't offend the nation offering us the best deals right now. :bouncy:
By bundle fodder, I mean padding your haul list with the HB Weekly, IG Friday, etc, that happened to occur in December. Picking up single games (even if previously bundled) shows deliberate action, thus granting them importance.

The regional trade blocking when buying on the Steam store to 'gift' to someone else and Steam key activating region locks are two different things. The latter is up to the publishers (or developers I guess though indies don't normally do it). Some stuff on Nuuvem is key activation region locked (like pretty much everything these days from Sega and Deep Silver outside of DLC) but a fair bit still isn't. For now.

Basically if you don't see a big red "Region Locked" in English on the store page you should be safe. Probably.
I'd also strongly advise checking steamlocks.tk (a nice front-end to steamdb), and taking a look at comments on reddit.

I was surprised at the number of CAGs picking up Prison Architect on the Steam Sale, after it had been a ~$2.50 incremental on the BTA of Humble Indie Bundle 12. (A similar case could be made for Crimzon Clover in Humble Flash Shmups bundle.) ...although neither of those are bundlefodder, nor do I expect extra copies of those to be floating around.

By bundle fodder, I mean padding your haul list with the HB Weekly, IG Friday, etc, that happened to occur in December. Picking up single games (even if previously bundled) shows deliberate action, thus granting them importance.
Almost certainly guilty of this in my haul post. I think of it as transactions since the start of the sale. Otherwise, you might as well exclude purchases made at venues other than Steam or spodered games. Can't be expected to remember where I bought each and every item over the course of a two week sale anyway.

Random thoughts:

I had about $23 in Steambux when the sale started and I hoped I could blow it on a variety of cheap things, but the sale was pretty crap, so . . . I bought Talisman when it was $0.99, I bought the Lords of Xulima DLC pack because I wanted the soundtrack and monster manual (~$3.49), and I bought Wasteland 2 when it hit 50% off. I had to pony up about $2.50 of actual money. 

A generous CAG also gifted me Shadowrun Returns during the recap days, which gave me a warm, fuzzy feeling on what had been an otherwise pretty crap day. 

The addition of cardz to Two Worlds II prompted me to try to jump back into Pirates of the Flying Fortress, and I'm slowly getting back into a TW2 groove. I'm still wandering around an island full of weird carnivorous plants and other oddball things I haven't encountered in any other part of Antaloor, hunting for a cemetery. 

A Christmas present of an XBOX 360 controller for Windows prompted me to download Injustice Ultimate Edition and I've been adjusting to the different control-scheme for that game from the DualShock. I wrapped up the story much more quickly this time around (I guess the game doesn't link your actual progress to your WBID, irrespective of what system you're on), as it only took me about 4-5 hours and I think it was almost twice that time on the console. I've been enjoying running through battles or the odd S.T.A.R. labs mission with the huge roster in the game. As a fan of the DC universe, it's a pretty fun game. 

Kareteka is surprisingly short. It looks good and is fairly entertaining, but I haven't played anything in a long time that I could finish in less than an hour. The rhythm-fighting gameplay can be pretty frustrating at times, though; I'm not sure whether the controls are not sensitive enough or my natural lack of rhythm is coming back to haunt me yet again, as it has in countless Guitar Hero/Rock Band games in the past. 

EDIT: Oh, and I ended up redownloading TW1 after all, because I want that ~$0.48 to buy cardz for stuff I'm probably getting level 1 badges for (Injustice and Tomb Raider). 

Before I forget, for you South Americans, the jacksparrow code for 10% off on the Batman Pack (Arkham City GOTY, Arkham Origins, Arkham Origins Blackgate) at Nuuvem is working again until the end of the day. Makes it $13,49 or a little less than $5 in USD.
Argh. Wanting to try Origins lately. I would totally get this if it included all the DLC. Have to wait for now...

Anyone wanna recommend a good HoMM type game that's capable of running on older (winXP) systems? Only ones I know of are the Kings Bounty series (which I've played and enjoyed, not sure how it'll work on XP) and the Disciples series, which I've never played.
Eador Genesis... maybe?

Eador Genesis... maybe?
Heard great things about Battle for Wesnoth. Not steam, but free. Haven't played it yet, but worth a look and you can't beat the price.

Yeah, doesn't seem worth it to me without the DLC.
Well, I see it as $2.50 for Blackgate and $2.50 for Arkham Origins which is the lowest either has been. I'm hoping they put the Season Pass on deep discount (was ~$3 on Nuuvem previously), and then I'll grab the Black Mask pack somewhere else (I already got the 2 supply drops for 50 cents each). That and I'll have an extra copy of Arkham City.

I was surprised at the number of CAGs picking up Prison Architect on the Steam Sale, after it had been a ~$2.50 incremental on the BTA of Humble Indie Bundle 12. (A similar case could be made for Crimzon Clover in Humble Flash Shmups bundle.) ...although neither of those are bundlefodder, nor do I expect extra copies of those to be floating around.
I didn't even particularly want Prison Architect but I got it during that bundle because the price was too good. Can't believe how many people didn't buy in at that level...I'm guessing it's a combination of automatic hate toward both fixed third tier humble levels and EA

I found this deal on Reddit. If anyone is interested in GRID Autosportfunstockdigital has it for $5.64 (-85% off).

Then use the code #FUNISHOT to knock an additional 20% off (or $1.13) making the final total $4.51.

**Supposedly keys aren't received immediately after purchase and take some time to be delivered.

***This would be the lowest price to date, previous low was $9.99 on 12/25/14 through Steam & Amazon.

Well, I see it as $2.50 for Blackgate and $2.50 for Arkham Origins which is the lowest either has been. I'm hoping they put the Season Pass on deep discount (was ~$3 on Nuuvem previously), and then I'll grab the Black Mask pack somewhere else (I already got the 2 supply drops for 50 cents each). That and I'll have an extra copy of Arkham City.
By the time you collect all of that, it'll all be bundled

Almost certainly guilty of this in my haul post. I think of it as transactions since the start of the sale. Otherwise, you might as well exclude purchases made at venues other than Steam or spodered games. Can't be expected to remember where I bought each and every item over the course of a two week sale anyway.
Cannot remember which games you bought and which games you spodered?

Your family loves you very much, and is concerned about some difficulties you've been having lately.

addiction-intervention.jpg

I really don't care where you bought stuff from (I can probably guess)... or even exactly how much you paid... it's more about highlighting things that you were happy to find for a good price. But FFS exclude the bundle fodder and spodered games.

I found this deal on Reddit. If anyone is interested in GRID Autosport, funstockdigital.com has it for $5.64 (-85% off).

Then use the code #FUNISHOT to knock an additional 20% off (or $1.13) making the final total $4.51.

**Supposedly keys aren't received immediately after purchase and take some time to be delivered.
When I bought that Pac-Man deal back then, it took them more than a week to deliver my keys. I thought it was just my case, but a lot of people had that issue. And if it is again that case with Grid (as it seems to be) I'll just pass

Cannot remember which games you bought and which games you spodered?

Your family loves you very much, and is concerned about some difficulties you've been having lately.

addiction-intervention.jpg

I really don't care where you bought stuff from (I can probably guess)... or even exactly how much you paid... it's more about highlighting things that you were happy to find for a good price. But FFS exclude the bundle fodder and spodered games.
For you, Ashes, I will try to remember this for my next haul post. :bow:

I have actually purchased something I already owned (just once so far). Is this an indicator of a problem? My memory is not what it used to be. Too much LDS in the 60's.

I have actually purchased something I already owned (just once so far). Is this an indicator of a problem? My memory is not what it used to be. Too much LDS in the 60's.
Did that for the first time the other day on Amazon, was Stealth Bastard Deluxe DLC. Was only 44 cents but still.. :wall:

Had to request something be removed from my library/account for the first time too recently, because I redeemed a key for the wrong edition of a game.

I found this deal on Reddit. If anyone is interested in GRID Autosport, funstockdigital has it for $5.64 (-85% off).

Then use the code #FUNISHOT to knock an additional 20% off (or $1.13) making the final total $4.51.

***This would be the lowest price to date, previous low was $9.99 on 12/25/14 through Steam & Amazon.
This is really tempting, given that $5 is 80% off of the MSRP on Steam and I don't believe I've seen a GRID game go below 75% off (aside from being free).

By the time you collect all of that, it'll all be bundled
Probably, but I like a gamble.

For you, Ashes, I will try to remember this for my next haul post. :bow:

The church of latter day saints screwed your memory up?

Remember Me (yes yes Syntax Error you think it's a pile of dog shit) is apparently $4.60ish equivalent on Origin (but a Steam key) if you 'reside' in Brazil.

When I bought that Pac-Man deal back then, it took them more than a week to deliver my keys. I thought it was just my case, but a lot of people had that issue. And if it is again that case with Grid (as it seems to be) I'll just pass
I decided to throw caution to the wind by making my first purchase from Funstock Digital via PayPal. I thought I'd be up for a new adventurous purchase, time will tell.

The delay might be from them using multiple checkout partners (PayPal then Sage Pay). Thankfully I'm not in any rush.

About 10 pages behind on the discussion (unless it's still going on for those 10 pages, reading them later), but I think the other thing effecting Steam sales as of late is the economy isn't as shitty as it was. In 07-10 (possibly longer, my memory is pretty bad) you needed eye catching 75%+ sales to get people to part with their cash. Restaurants were doing it to, lots of pretty cheap and great happy hours out there to draw in business, likely same with specials. Tons of text/more below (didn't realize how long it got so decided to spoiler it)

For the past couple years, those restaurants have changed the happy hours to either just be more expensive or remove things etc. making it more expensive (Know of two local places, off hand, that removed half price food specials for happy hour. One just limited it and upped the price, the other I think got rid of it all together (and significantly raised the price of drinks). Sure it's possible most couldn't sustain the cheaper pricing but eh...seems a bit convenient. 

Anyways, to Steam/other distributors, now you don't need to convince people as much to part with their cash, so you ease the discounts and rake in cash. I'm sure it's a mix of distributors and publishers (or most publishers and a bit of distributors) but yeah. Wouldn't be shocked, thinking about it, if it's part of the reason we saw a reduction in flash sales and voting on Steam, hell maybe even the loss of a game. Don't need to make you feel you have to buy it right now or the offer is gone forever, because you'll probably buy the damn thing anyways. I'd argue before the limited time(ness) of 8 hours before helped fuel impluse buys and that sense of losing out on a great deal, thus again convincing people to spend their money. 

The one thing it doesn't excuse is the repeating of the same damn games. You don't need to put Left 4 Dead 2 up for the 400th time, at this point anyone not having it is probably not buying the damn thing. They need to clear out some of the stuff that goes on sale EVERY SINGLE SALE for years now and start putting different things up. Seems it be an obvious smart business move, but nah lets put up what everyone owns...again. 

The other issue I have, you don't need to put up things like Wolfenstein, NBA 2k15, DayZ, etc. Maybe I'm drastically wrong, but is having those up on the sale page at 25-33% off really increasing the sales of those titles that much? The front page deals should be like your local stores deal, they mean to draw you in and buy the other (expensive stuff). They don't want you coming in to buy a can of beans for the $0.50 deal, they want you to come in and gets those beans, then decide you need a steak, some cereal, and other non-sale/expensive items. Likewise, I don't get the idea of using a poor discount on, say, DayZ as a way to get people in the door, throw up a game that isn't as popular but will get people in for the great deal. "Hey, we got C,S,D! for $2, and Doctor Who: The Adventure games for $1.50 (or whatever)." Use heavy discounts and cheaper stuff to draw people in and get them buying their DayZs etc. for full/slight discount. 

Granted the last point is arguably by the way, kind of one the fence myself if I'm being bias because I hate those damn deals and want good ones, or actually showing a bit of business sense. 

One last thing on the point of having a sale game, already covered why (same as above, draw people in). Also get idiots whales to spend tons on junk. Still don't get why they don't figure out some way to do an achievement based one. With the cards, trinkets, and everything else added now, seems it should be easy enough to find a way to do it where completing a daily checklist or x amount of achievements, etc. gets people some trinket. Not only is it more fun then many of the recent ones, but it also should drive sales from people buying the dailies to get the achievements done and get their reward. Sure don't need to (last sale is a good example) but....if you can make even more, why the hell not do it?

If you don't want to read that mass text and/or mess (or at least first) basically go on about how poor discounts featured on games that will already sell seems a bad decision, the addition on achievement based  sale game would (imo) increase sales, economy possibly reason for reduction on flash sales, and how having the same games as front page deals every sale needs to change (not in that order).

Remember Me (yes yes Syntax Error you think it's a pile of dog shit) is apparently $4.60ish equivalent on Origin (but a Steam key) if you 'reside' in Brazil.
Nice price. I liked the game... the Atmosphere/Story/Setting were the high point of it. Mechanically it was a Batman AA-ish (lite) combat and some Assassin's Creed exploration/puzzle solving. It is a very linear game. If the setting doesn't intrigue you then skip it.

Edit: Don't stress over the combolab DLC... it is very much preorder DLC. I used it because I had it, but I wouldn't have noticed if I didn't.

I liked it. They tried to do something different and I thought the Total Recall in Paris type story and the art and the main character all worked really well.

It's more of a really pretty visual novel in 3D with very light combat, but I was fine with that.

I'm looking forward to their next game Life is Strange.

Easily worth that. Underrated game.

Fantastic story + character development, once it actually gets going in that direction + in the gameplay department. Takes a few hours before it really goes somewhere, in both regards.

EDIT:

I liked it. They tried to do something different and I thought the Total Recall in Paris type story and the art and the main character all worked really well.

It's more of a really pretty visual novel in 3D with very light combat, but I was fine with that.

I'm looking forward to their next game Life is Strange.
I absolutely loved the art direction of that game.

The other thing I really loved was the rewind and remix memory puzzles. Those were cool as can be. I do wish the game had more of those, though.

And yeah - Life Is Strange looks very promising.

The correct purchases from the sale:

Gem Auction Wins:

Jagged Alliance Flashback
Claire
Silence of the Sleep

Purchases for myself:

The Desolate Hope
Damned
Hammerwatch
Shadow Warrior
Hero Siege
The Long Dark
Deadcore
Wasteland 2
Hunters of the Dead
How To Survive DLC

Gifts I Received:

Among the Sleep
Farsky
Dungeon of the Endless

Gifts I Gave:

Contraption Maker
Viscera Cleanup Detail
Prison Architect
Super Meat Boy
How To Survive Collection
Don't Starve - Reign of Giants DLC
Shadowrun Returns
Shovel Knight

If your answers are different than these, you failed the sale.

I have no idea how that might work. Seriously. Explain?

I have a Humbly Bundly link for Dust. The first person who tells me how pretty I am, and really means it, can have it.

I found this deal on Reddit. If anyone is interested in GRID Autosport, funstockdigital has it for $5.64 (-85% off).

Apparently the deal ended abruptly as the site now shows it regular price. Some people on Reddit reported the site seemed to be down for a bit not long ago so I don't know if this was an intentional sale or what. They had no timer and no clear info how long the sale was for or when it started. Also no price tracking site tracks them AFAIK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back