Steam Deals Thread V13 ~ Star Wars Empire at War $6.80 | The Legend of Korra $10.04 | Red Faction Guerrilla $2.99 |

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNinjaSquirrel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
Summer sale has come and gone; welcome to the Steam Deals Thread V13!

Stop: Before you go any further be sure you are using Enhanced Steam. It will save you a lot of time and embarrassment in the future.

Daily Deal
Star Wars: Empire at War Gold Edition - $19.99 $6.80

Yesterday's Deal

N/A

Midweek Madness
The Legend of Korra - $14.99 $10.04

Red Faction - $9.99 $1.49
Red Faction II - $9.99 $1.49
Red Faction Armageddon - $19.99 $2.99
Red Faction Guerrilla - $19.99 $2.99 

Thanks to EastX, Detruire, Psydero, and everyone else that has contributed to the thread!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am coming up on 1000 games on Steam, but rather than make #1000 the big deal, I am actually going to make the last 25 a big deal. Thus I am looking for your overall Top 5 games or if you want to make specific recommendations based on what I own and play, my game list is here. From this I'll build my Top 25 and plan on getting them during the Fall/Winter sale.
I went through your games list. You and I buy a lot of the same bundles have a lot of the same games.

- Age of Mythology HD

- Borderlands 2

- LEGO Lord of the Rings

- Sonic Generations

- Portal 2

- Trials Evolution Gold

I did some of my own digging into the new store page CSS and some of the new features.  Here are a few screenshots of what I came up with when I applied the new CSS elements to the existing store page.  Keep in mind that the store page will most likely be rendered in a completely new and different way - but this is basically a few snapshots into what Valve is working on:

Top of store page, and submenus (SO BLUE)

54q3Go0.png

Purchase area:

BFr6jvg.png

DLC list and new hover box:

bFnCKeo.png

System requirements, related games, etc

YpOOXzP.png

What the current "highlight games you already own" looks like:

jamKnG5.png

Sorry for all the image spam, thought you guys might find it interesting.   :)

I did some of my own digging into the new store page CSS and some of the new features. Here are a few screenshots of what I came up with when I applied the new CSS elements to the existing store page. Keep in mind that the store page will most likely be rendered in a completely new and different way - but this is basically a few snapshots into what Valve is working on:

Top of store page, and submenus (SO BLUE)

Sorry for all the image spam, thought you guys might find it interesting. :)

Dude... they really owe you a paycheck.

I did some of my own digging into the new store page CSS and some of the new features. Here are a few screenshots of what I came up with when I applied the new CSS elements to the existing store page. Keep in mind that the store page will most likely be rendered in a completely new and different way - but this is basically a few snapshots into what Valve is working on:

Sorry for all the image spam, thought you guys might find it interesting. :)
Definitely an improvement, even though they jacked your work. But as Foxhack said, you'll still have to fix their screw-ups.

These new features all sound like what ES has been doing for ages. It's a shame Valve would rather copy them than hire the person that implemented them first.
I agree, especially since that person has applied multiple times and has been turned down, and moreso that the person who put those features into Enhanced Steam currently can't afford housing where he lives and is getting ready to move into a cardboard box (hopefully with broadband!).

Either way, I'm glad to know that a few of Enhanced Steam's best features are making their way into Steam and that over a million people who have downloaded Enhanced Steam will go "whoa, Valve totally ripped off Enhanced Steam." Quite the compliment, actually.

The good news is that I'm sure they won't be using ALL of Enhanced Steam's features, so I'll still have something to do. The bad news is that it may take a couple of weeks to get everything working right after this update goes live.

Either way, I'm glad to know that a few of Enhanced Steam's best features are making their way into Steam and that over a million people who have downloaded Enhanced Steam will go "whoa, Valve totally ripped off Enhanced Steam." Quite the compliment, actually.
Here's the honest truth... Valve doesn't have the balls to copy everything that ES does because ES helps the consumer make an informed decision. Steam is (understandably) interested only in selling games.

As far as I'm concerned, ES will always be > Steam. I'd just love to see you get paid for your work.

The good news is that I'm sure they won't be using ALL of Enhanced Steam's features, so I'll still have something to do. The bad news is that it may take a couple of weeks to get everything working right after this update goes live.
Enhanced Steam is awesome.

Also, thanks for this:

4RZ5muP.png

I agree, especially since that person has applied multiple times and has been turned down, and moreso that the person who put those features into Enhanced Steam currently can't afford housing where he lives and is getting ready to move into a cardboard box (hopefully with broadband!).
Damn, dude, hope everything is going alright for you. Don't go bunking with the hobos under the bridge.

You're the guy who came up with Enhanced Steam? I can't thank you enough for that, those features are awesome.

While ES is certainly fantastic and I can't live without it, it's rather silly to assume Valve is copying features directly from ES. Everything they have added thus far as been logical and requested billions of times, it just so happens that Jshack beat them to the punch. Valve moves slow as hell, we all know this. I doubt this some nefarious plot to steal the hard work of Jshack. Gaben is running out of shit to do and it's time for them to start focusing on the UI and website overhaul that people have been asking for an eternity.

Hideo Kojima + Guillermo del Toro = Silent Hills

I hope this one can be at least as good as The Room.  The last few have strayed too far from the course.

(About as minimal as a teaser as you can get.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE0JDQJFbTw

I don't necessarily think it is a plot to steal the hard work of jshack, but I do feel as though his work may have motivated them to move a bit quicker. As more and more people use a web browser and ES to browse the Steam store, Valve loses more money and so do devs. The more data consumers have to make informed choices, the lower prices they end up paying. Thus Valve has an incentive to improve their client to provide some of the less damning info, and try to keep the user base within the client for purchasing.

Steam made some changes to F2P games and now they count as games (if you have installed/played even in past).

Some random F2P is now my 1000th game.

You're the guy who came up with Enhanced Steam? I can't thank you enough for that, those features are awesome.
Yep, I'm the guy. :) Glad you enjoy it and if there is anything you need please let me know.

While ES is certainly fantastic and I can't live without it, it's rather silly to assume Valve is copying features directly from ES. Everything they have added thus far as been logical and requested billions of times, it just so happens that Jshack beat them to the punch. Valve moves slow as hell, we all know this. I doubt this some nefarious plot to steal the hard work of Jshack. Gaben is running out of shit to do and it's time for them to start focusing on the UI and website overhaul that people have been asking for an eternity.
I'm not alleging that they're copying features from Enhanced Steam. In fact, most of these features exist in Enhanced Steam solely because they make sense on a storefront like Steam. Almost every feature I code, by the time I'm done I think to myself "Why doesn't Steam already have...?" Like, "Why doesn't Steam already have an empty cart button?"

This is just the next logical progression of their store, and i totally get that. Part of the reason people are upset about them "stealing" features (and I got quite a few emails about this since yesterday) is that they feel like Enhanced Steam has kind of been used by Valve as a testing ground for new ideas.

Making features that work in all of Steam's language and country configurations is pretty hard work actually. When I ship new features, they're going out to millions of people - some of these features work and some don't. Valve is paying really close attention to the features that work. One user wrote me and said "They're learning from your successes and failures" and I think that's pretty accurate.

The issue crops up because most companies pay for R&D.

I don't necessarily think it is a plot to steal the hard work of jshack, but I do feel as though his work may have motivated them to move a bit quicker. As more and more people use a web browser and ES to browse the Steam store, Valve loses more money and so do devs. The more data consumers have to make informed choices, the lower prices they end up paying. Thus Valve has an incentive to improve their client to provide some of the less damning info, and try to keep the user base within the client for purchasing.
Also this. The more useful features they can provide themselves, the less reason people will have to go looking for something like Enhanced Steam. Since over 1 in 75 Steam users has used Enhanced Steam at some point, they're certainly catching on to stuff like this. Of course, I've sent them numerous emails explaining that I'm not trying to make them lose money and that if they request that a particular feature be removed all they have to do is ask.

Also, it looks like they're adding a fairly prominent DRM warning to store pages, so they're also taking ideas that benefit the average consumer.

Gaben is running out of shit to do and it's time for them to start focusing on the UI and website overhaul that people have been asking for an eternity.
I kind of wonder what exactly it is that they do sometimes besides sit back and rake in the cash. It's not making games very often. The client gets a ton of updates, though mostly for Linux and Big Picture stuff, so I guess there's that.

But yeah an overhaul of the UI is way overdue and they've put themselves in the position of having to redefine discovery of how and what games a user sees by washing their hands of the whole curation thing.

Hideo Kojima + Guillermo del Toro = Silent Hills

I hope this one can be at least as good as The Room. The last few have strayed too far from the course.
https://twitter.com/charlesrandall/status/499336374676639744

I have no problem with Del Toro. I do have a problem with Kojima - he's not a horror / suspense guy.

Steam made some changes to F2P games and now they count as games (if you have installed/played even in past).

Some random F2P is now my 1000th game.
Oddly, it took a couple of games out of my profile, Rusty Hearts and Spiral Knights aren't listed anymore but Battle for Graxia still is.

Oh did I mention that Konami accidentally leaked Metal Gear Solid V and Ground Zeroes coming to STEAM? I just visited the site and the link is there so... pretty much confirmed?

https://uk.games.konami-europe.com/

(Courtesy of this NeoGAF thread.)
Kinda funny seeing old console franchise coming to PC, like the dev/publisher finally realised the gloriousness of the PC master race, when another old franchise, which was on PC from its beginning, is going to be an XBOX exclusive. At least for a while.

Oh did I mention that Konami accidentally leaked Metal Gear Solid V and Ground Zeroes coming to STEAM? I just visited the site and the link is there so... pretty much confirmed?

https://uk.games.konami-europe.com/

(Courtesy of this NeoGAF thread.)

Kinda funny seeing old console franchise coming to PC, like the dev/publisher finally realised the gloriousness of the PC master race, when another old franchise, which was on PC from its beginning, is going to be an XBOX exclusive. At least for a while.
I thought the first two did make it to PC. Then after that...

Solid 1 and 2 were ported to PC, not to mention Metal Gear was a PC franchise to begin with (the first games wereon the MSX computer system).

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back