CAGiversary!
Feedback
180 (100%)
header.jpg

Freedom Force $4.49
vs. 3rd Reich $4.49

Both for $6.74

10% off good until 6/5

IMHO, both games are great. They were also made by a little dev called Irrational.

I played the original when it first came out and it was amazing back in the day. I can't say how well it has aged but I bet it is well worth $5-7.50.

[quote name='jer7583']What kind of a game are these?[/QUOTE]

They are fantastic, that is all you need to know.

They are third person, real-time, tactical RPG that involves super heroes and a Silver-Age inspired character, art, and story design (primarily Jack Kirby-esque).

You'll know if you want it based on that.

Okay I just bought it. I spend more than that on lunch some days.

For the kids: Irrational contains certain elements that came together to bring you a little game called
BIOSHOCK.

Why isn't System Shock 2 on steam?

The demo for the original crashes in my Vista x32. Shame, since the demo is usually used as the benchmark for whether a system can run the game =/

Edit:The Third Reich demo runs, so it's possible the original was updated to work with newer systems(not necessarily Vista, but more compatible). I have no way for checking personally, however.

[quote name='jer7583']Why isn't System Shock 2 on steam?[/QUOTE]
Hopefully, one day we will be celebrating an "Welcome to the Store" sale for System Shock 2. Irrational's excellent SWAT4 and Tribes:Vengeance would be nice, too. :)
(What made 2K re-brand Irrational Games with the oh-so-sexy name "2K Boston/2K Australia"? Is Firaxis = "2K Maryland" next?)

Great deal for those games. As a comic book fan and gamer, I really loved them and still own the boxed retail versions in great condition.

I remember I used to create my own "dream team" of super heroes based on comic book characters. Fun stuff.

[quote name='jer7583']
Why isn't System Shock 2 on steam?[/QUOTE]

Because it'd be a nightmare of tech support for them. SS2 can be bitchy about working on modern computers.

I've had the first game forever, never really played it. Might get the second one just because it's so cheap.

[quote name='Vegan']Because it'd be a nightmare of tech support for them. SS2 can be bitchy about working on modern computers.[/QUOTE]

the current mod is very stable, with widescreen support and higher-res textures. I played through it on a couple different win xp and vista 64 rigs
maybe it would be annoying to support, but some hobbyist already put alot of the effort into it

[quote name='Vegan']Because it'd be a nightmare of tech support for them. SS2 can be bitchy about working on modern computers.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I could never get that shit to work on my pc. Just play Deus Ex, Bioshock, or Fallout 3. Hell, even Dead Space.

I beat the first FF back when it was new and it was fun. I got FFv3rdReich not long ago and couldn't play it long. It's like FF 1.5. Too slow for my tastes these days.

Highly underrated games. They're a steal at this price. I may buy them just to have them handy on Steam. I loved both of these games, and hope they finally get around to a 3rd someday.

Anyone getting mouse lag?

And is there any way to make these widescreen?

[quote name='ddrpower']The demo for the original crashes in my Vista x32. Shame, since the demo is usually used as the benchmark for whether a system can run the game =/

[/QUOTE]

Same here. Shame since I would've bit if I could've gotten it to run.

I bought these back when they originally came out, were great little games. Kind of tongue in cheek in a WW2 era way, but still cool.

I agree w/ the general sentiment here. Played both games and enjoyed them greatly, but they might be a little dated for today's fast-twitch gamers.

Wow, I was talking with my friend two days ago about trying to track down the first game since I always see the second one at the local Gamestop.

Thanks OP for pointing out this deal out and thanks Steam for letting me play this game without leaving my house to hunt down a copy!

FF1 > FF2

I wish there were more hero based RTS games being made.

Back when I played FF1 (this was at least 6 years ago), there was an active modding community that made new heroes and scenarios.

I'm tempted on buying this along with Day of Defeat Source (though that one isn't on sale). Are there any good sites with mods for this game? And does this have online multiplayer/co-op?

[quote name='Serik']
Back when I played FF1 (this was at least 6 years ago), there was an active modding community that made new heroes and scenarios.[/QUOTE]

Indeed. I had hundreds of customs skins, meshes, and portraits for FF1, which resulted in thousands of files and directories. Quite messy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Freedom force seems to have competitive multiplayer only. From the FAQ:

How will the multiplayer game work?
Freedom Force comes with full multiplayer support. The multiplayer game is designed to take advantage of the tactical combat and RPG features of the game but employ them quite differently. Currently Freedom Force supports deathmatch on over a dozen made-for-multiplayer maps.

How many players are supported in multiplayer?
Multiplayer supports up to four players, each commanding a squad of up to four heroes.

[quote name='ddrpower']The demo for the original crashes in my Vista x32. Shame, since the demo is usually used as the benchmark for whether a system can run the game =/

Edit:The Third Reich demo runs, so it's possible the original was updated to work with newer systems(not necessarily Vista, but more compatible). I have no way for checking personally, however.[/QUOTE]

Ya the first one isn't supposed to work in Vista. Irrational had to make a XP SP2 patch, because it wasn't working for that either. The patch does allow it to work in XP SP3 though, I've tried it myself.

According to the Vista compatibility wiki, Third Reich does work in Vista.

[quote name='mogamer']Ya the first one isn't supposed to work in Vista. [/QUOTE]

Freedom Force on Steam works fine in 32-bit Vista with SP2.

[quote name='jer7583']Why isn't System Shock 2 on steam?[/QUOTE] EA owns the rights to System Shock now and I don't believe they're on Steam (yet).

I loved these games. I played the first via Bootleg (shocker of shockers) and actually purchased the second the day it came out for the full retail of $45 (or whatever it was, but it was about that). A great Silver Age interactive comic in full panaramic KIRBYVISION(C)!

Does anyone know if you already have these games, if they can be activated and used on Steam for multiplayer?

[quote name='Thrinn']EA owns the rights to System Shock now and I don't believe they're on Steam (yet).[/QUOTE]

Mass Effect, Mirror's Edge, Dead Space, Red Alert 3, Spore and more I can not remember

[quote name='dfg']Does anyone know if you already have these games, if they can be activated and used on Steam for multiplayer?[/QUOTE] According to their list of CD Keys that you can activate on Steam, doesn't look like it.

[quote name='aznguyen316']the demo auto closes on my system. WinXP... even warned me before opening not compatible. weird.[/QUOTE]

You probably mean the first game's demo.

The first game had a patch(1.3) that allowed it to run on 2000(and subsequently, future operating systems). The demo was not patched, so you can't run that. Try the Third Reich demo, that one works like a charm. Whether or not you like it is a different story.

[quote name='Mysterio']Freedom Force on Steam works fine in 32-bit Vista with SP2.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the info. I'll give it a try on my 32 bit Ultimate machine.

Thanks for posting these games. I played the first one years ago and always wanted to pick the second up. As others have noted, highly recommended for fans of silver age comics.

[quote name='ddrpower']You probably mean the first game's demo.

The first game had a patch(1.3) that allowed it to run on 2000(and subsequently, future operating systems). The demo was not patched, so you can't run that. Try the Third Reich demo, that one works like a charm. Whether or not you like it is a different story.[/QUOTE]

oh okay thanks, I'll do that then.

I picked these up a few days ago. Haven't tried Third Reich (TR) yet, but FF BSOD'd my system in fullscreen. Also it doesn't support widescreen resolutions at all. Too old.

Fix to all of this? Properties>launch options I added "-window" as a guess, and it runs like a dream, albeit in a window. I hope TR works the same when I get to it.

[quote name='Andrigaar']I picked these up a few days ago. Haven't tried Third Reich (TR) yet, but FF BSOD'd my system in fullscreen. Also it doesn't support widescreen resolutions at all. Too old.

Fix to all of this? Properties>launch options I added "-window" as a guess, and it runs like a dream, albeit in a window. I hope TR works the same when I get to it.[/QUOTE]

3rd reich has native widescreen support, runs on vista 64 fine for me

[quote name='Andrigaar']I picked these up a few days ago. Haven't tried Third Reich (TR) yet, but FF BSOD'd my system in fullscreen. Also it doesn't support widescreen resolutions at all. Too old.[/QUOTE]

For me, FF supports widescreen resolutions. I'm currently running it at 1680x1050, 32 bit on 32-bit Vista. The highest resolution listed in the Options menu is 1920x1080, 32 bit.

[quote name='Mysterio']For me, FF supports widescreen resolutions. I'm currently running it at 1680x1050, 32 bit on 32-bit Vista. The highest resolution listed in the Options menu is 1920x1080, 32 bit.[/QUOTE]

Both games support widescreen but has horizontal stretch.

It doesn't look too bad because of the graphical style of the game IMHO.

Playing in windowed mode is always an option.

[quote name='Pajama_Man']Both games support widescreen but has horizontal stretch.[/QUOTE]

:lol:

Yeah, if you put it that way, every game ever made supports widescreen. There's no game that'll refuse to run on a widescreen monitor, that's not what widescreen support means.

bread's done
Back