[Steam] Guild Wars 50% off sale - Unknown duration(Week long?)

ddrpower

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
header.jpg

Guild Wars Trilogy: http://store.steampowered.com/app/29570/
Guild Wars GOTY: http://store.steampowered.com/app/29540/
Guild Wars Nightfall:http://store.steampowered.com/app/29580/
Guild Wars Faction:http://store.steampowered.com/app/29560/

Trilogy: $20(from $40)
GOTY: $10(from $20)
Nightfall: $15(from $30)
Factions: $15(from $30)

I've been playing the game on and off. I've heard they added some new content right now, but I don't have time to play. I'll get back to it after the semester is over.

[quote name='PrototypeM']I've been playing the game on and off. I've heard they added some new content right now, but I don't have time to play. I'll get back to it after the semester is over.[/QUOTE]

I heard that the "new" content is a $5-10 pair of outfits. I could be wrong and there could be more...But I know Anet, and giving out free stuff isn't their method of madness.

[quote name='thehoweller']I heard that the "new" content is a $5-10 pair of outfits. I could be wrong and there could be more...But I know Anet, and giving out free stuff isn't their method of madness.[/QUOTE]

That's not exactly true...

They don't have a subscription service, so how would one make some kind of revenue off of it?

They do add content, micro content, but anything worth an exp is priced up front.

anyone know if you get cd keys with the steam purchase? i have guild wars goty but want to link nightfall and factions to my current account. i'd rather just buy gw trilogy than purchasing them separate cause its cheaper

So the Trilogy is the whole schebang? All the Guild Wars stuff in one pack? If that's the case, I'm in, baby. Even if I can't play it much, who cares when it's that cheap and there's no subscription fee.

[quote name='anarchyburger']anyone know if you get cd keys with the steam purchase? i have guild wars goty but want to link nightfall and factions to my current account. i'd rather just buy gw trilogy than purchasing them separate cause its cheaper[/QUOTE]

yes steam provides you with a cd key which you have to register with the GW site

[quote name='xycury']That's not exactly true...

They don't have a subscription service, so how would one make some kind of revenue off of it?

They do add content, micro content, but anything worth an exp is priced up front.[/QUOTE]

I'd compare the combat to WoW, but more action-ie. I've always enjoyed the game more-so than WoW...It has a considerable amount of strategy required, not so much as it used to, now though.

It's fun, and well worth $20.

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']So the Trilogy is the whole schebang? All the Guild Wars stuff in one pack? If that's the case, I'm in, baby. Even if I can't play it much, who cares when it's that cheap and there's no subscription fee.[/QUOTE]

You'll be missing the last expansion "Eye of the North", but it's by no means required...And you will be spending 60+ hours (could be more) getting through the other campaigns, before you reach that point. You can find it for $20 if you look for it.

[quote name='Muitabui']yes steam provides you with a cd key which you have to register with the GW site[/QUOTE]
thanks, jumped on this deal and was able to add it to my current guild wars account with no problem. great deal, it came out to $10 each for factions and nightfall since i already had prophecies :)

[quote name='thehoweller']
You'll be missing the last expansion "Eye of the North", but it's by no means required...And you will be spending 60+ hours (could be more) getting through the other campaigns, before you reach that point. You can find it for $20 if you look for it.[/QUOTE]

Intersting. They don't have Eye of the North on Steam yet? I suppose they'll get it eventually and maybe have it for $10... I want the whole set. :D

Or maybe they'll eventually offer the whole thing with Eye of the North for $20 once GW2 is out...

As was noted by somebody else on the steam thread, Newegg has Guild Wars: Prophecies (the regular one) with Eye of the North included for 9.99.

As it's still cheaper to get the trilogy on steam than to buy Factions and Nightfall separately, I don't know how useful that is for anyone taking full advantage of this deal.

But if you just wanted original Guild Wars, Newegg gives you the expansion as well for the same price, and the ability to download this game digitally is a negligible benefit, as you can do that from NCsoft's site already if you have a cd-key/character account.

You know what, i was about to type that this game is amazing and everyone should own it, but at this point if you have never played it, it may be too late for you... the economy is mad broken (at least for the new people) and barely anyone plays through the older campaigns anymore...

but if you are fine with soloing it (and the game has great AI controlled chars that can help you with that) then it is still a must buy

[quote name='NickL']You know what, i was about to type that this game is amazing and everyone should own it, but at this point if you have never played it, it may be too late for you... the economy is mad broken (at least for the new people) and barely anyone plays through the older campaigns anymore...

but if you are fine with soloing it (and the game has great AI controlled chars that can help you with that) then it is still a must buy[/QUOTE]

You can also find guilds that play through older content...Up to 800(?) players in a Guild Alliance...So you're never alone.

I love soloing. I wish WoW had good computer-controlled teammates. :)

Anyway, it appears I used to have a Guild Wars account (eh??), so I just joined it with my old one. It's great. Now I've got everything except Eye of the North.

Dicked around trying to remember my account info. Wham, got in, on the website at least.

But when I try to log into the game, apparently it's different login info? My account name doesn't work, so I try my account name @ncsoft (which is what the website says my GW account is). Doesn't work. I'm sure I'm using the right PW at least, and the account name should be right since it's what the site lists.

I dunno if it's the security question or what. A character on the account? I really have no idea. I tried leaving it blank for no characters and it didn't work. Tried a few character names I might have chosen. Nope.

I had to e-mail support. Lame. Should have just opened a new account. The old one had nothing on it I wanted anyway (except the account name).

Anyway. My useless story of the day. Just wanted to bitch.

I'm debating whether I should grab Trilogy or not. Already have the original and Nightfall, so I'd be paying $20 to play it on Steam w/Factions. :p I will probably pass until GW2 comes out and perhaps the trilogy goes even cheaper...

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']I love soloing. I wish WoW had good computer-controlled teammates. :)

Anyway, it appears I used to have a Guild Wars account (eh??), so I just joined it with my old one. It's great. Now I've got everything except Eye of the North.

Dicked around trying to remember my account info. Wham, got in, on the website at least.

But when I try to log into the game, apparently it's different login info? My account name doesn't work, so I try my account name @ncsoft (which is what the website says my GW account is). Doesn't work. I'm sure I'm using the right PW at least, and the account name should be right since it's what the site lists.

I dunno if it's the security question or what. A character on the account? I really have no idea. I tried leaving it blank for no characters and it didn't work. Tried a few character names I might have chosen. Nope.

I had to e-mail support. Lame. Should have just opened a new account. The old one had nothing on it I wanted anyway (except the account name).

Anyway. My useless story of the day. Just wanted to bitch.[/QUOTE]

Stick with your old account. If you've old characters you'll have a crapton of "Birthday Presents" they're little minipets you get once a year for your character aging.

If your characters are 3+ years old, you might just have a gold mine.

Also, what's your account name...A friend of mine and I are trying to start playing.

Guild Wars 2 comes out in 2011, so I'm thinking about picking up the trilogy. Soloing sounds like fun, but I have a pretty big backlog of games to go through already, by the time I get around to GW, GW2 will probably be out. Decisions decisions...

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']I love soloing. I wish WoW had good computer-controlled teammates. :)

Anyway. My useless story of the day. Just wanted to bitch.[/QUOTE]

for the log in info part..
exact same story of my life

[quote name='Muitabui']for the log in info part..
exact same story of my life[/QUOTE]
I had this issue too, turns it you have to list one of your characters full names (GW requires both a first and last). I couldn't remember so I had to contact support and they got me the info I needed.

Same here with character names.

Seeing this deal made me want to reinstall Prophecies, and I didn't have a damn clue what my character name was.

Emailing with support now.

I've had prohecies and factions since they came out tho haven't played in almost 2 years ( got back into wow with some friends). however I've been wanting eye of the north especially with the chance that it may help with gw2. what would you guys say is the cheapest way to get this (don't really care for nightfall)

That whole character name security thing question is absurd. I truly cannot remember what I named my characters. Seriously no idea. It'll be interesting to find out.

Very cool about the bday presents!! I hope I had a lot of characters on there. :D They'll all be level 1, because I really did not play the game, ever. Just messed around and thought "damn this looks cool..." And now all of a sudden I have practically the whole set.

My account name is Jesse Dylan or JesseDylan or JesseDylan@ncsoft or something like that if anyone wants to "add" me (or whatever it is you do on GW!).

Oh, and on steam I'm JesseDylanWatson or Jesse Dylan. Or Jesse_Dylan.

Sorry.

One of the most ludicrous things about the damn internet is trying to keep track of a billion login names and passwords. It's stupid. I'd just have the same thing for everything, but each requires something a little different.

Anyway.

Long jabber. I'm excited to play this game. Should've gotten into it when it first came out. I love WoW, but I like how soloable this one is. I always seem to get bogged down by everyone wanting my attention in WoW. I don't like feeling like I have responsibilities to a game. It makes me want to not log in (responsibilities and the monthly fee...)

Speaking of life stories, there's mine. Usually I reserve the jabber for the Steam thread.

I recently re-downloaded Guild Wars and then didn't play it - the Security Question confused me for a long time, too, but I managed to remember my character names. :)

I absolutely love PvP in Guild Wars - I bought the PvP pack for like $20, which gives you all the PvP content. This was several years ago.

There's nothing better than designing something, and then killing other people with it.

I played the first one years ago. Really liked it but the expansions were 40$ before and I didnt have the money to get it. Didn't have a great pc so the graphics n gameplay sucked for me.

Yikes, I didn't know the extra content was so pricey. Do they have sales?

I wish support would get back to me already. I want to log in.

Just in case the "extra content is so pricey" comment was directed at me saying the PvP Pack was $20 - you'll get the PvP content from buying the full games. You can buy the PvP Content by itself, however - which was a good deal at the time, since this was like 2 or 3 years ago.

Hi, sorry--yeah, I was not real specific about that; I had assumed I'd still need to pay the $20 for the PvP Pack and stuff "like" it (I know very little about the game), however, now that you've assuaged my fears, I'm back to thinking I got a real steal for $20. :)

Well, if they ever e-mail me back about my account anyway...

Played this game almost religiously while in college, still login from time to time for weekend events.....just a heads up, Factions will try the nerves of even the most patient people, due to the sheer number of mobs and deaths it throws at you...Nightfall is much more progressive....Great game, can't wait for GW2!! Oh yeah, customer service is a biotch to deal with....good luck...

[quote name='tlester2']Played this game almost religiously while in college, still login from time to time for weekend events.....just a heads up, Factions will try the nerves of even the most patient people, due to the sheer number of mobs and deaths it throws at you...Nightfall is much more progressive....Great game, can't wait for GW2!! Oh yeah, customer service is a biotch to deal with....good luck...[/QUOTE]

Spot on...Factions was shit. Although I hate the addition of Heroes/too much space for actual players to cover in groups.

Yeah, I never was big on heroes, as I usually found a group to roll with. If anybody wants to hit me up, I'll most likely be on later tonight after happy hour and finishing up gow3......my ign is Ryu Rikimaru, and I've got characters that can fit any bill, so helping out newbies is not a problem.

Wow, support e-mailed me back wanting to know a ton of stuff... Nothing someone trying to steal my account wouldn't be able to come up with if they knew me tho (even you guys in here could probably figure it out if you looked at my various profiles and put your mind to it)! And they wanted some stuff I couldn't answer, as in original CD keys. I have no idea what they were. i thought they'd keep track of that for me. All I have is my new Steam CD key for Trilogy.

In their defense, back in the day when I first played (or did not play, actually--bought and messed around), I had huge video problems. Their support team worked with me tirelessly to determine that it was my video card. Even after they knew it was nothing to do with their product, they still helped me extensively.

Although tech support and customer service are entirely different things...

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']Wow, support e-mailed me back wanting to know a ton of stuff... Nothing someone trying to steal my account wouldn't be able to come up with if they knew me tho (even you guys in here could probably figure it out if you looked at my various profiles and put your mind to it)! And they wanted some stuff I couldn't answer, as in original CD keys. I have no idea what they were. i thought they'd keep track of that for me. All I have is my new Steam CD key for Trilogy.

In their defense, back in the day when I first played (or did not play, actually--bought and messed around), I had huge video problems. Their support team worked with me tirelessly to determine that it was my video card. Even after they knew it was nothing to do with their product, they still helped me extensively.

Although tech support and customer service are entirely different things...[/QUOTE]

Did you email them from the email your account is registered to? I did even though I no longer use that email address and they sent along the character name no problem.

Darn, actually I think I just filled out a web form. But that's where they sent e-mail back to me was my address. Had the same one for 5 or 6 years, so it should be the same on the account.

They're kinda slooow.

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']Darn, actually I think I just filled out a web form. But that's where they sent e-mail back to me was my address. Had the same one for 5 or 6 years, so it should be the same on the account.

They're kinda slooow.[/QUOTE]

The whole character name confirmation's a ridiculous idea. People losing their accounts to people guessing their passwords, or friends after they've given them out...Deserve to lose their accounts.

That alone has probably added to the game's dropping numbers.

Yeah, I have nothing to add, frankly, except to agree and underscore that character names as a security question is nuts. I've got WoW characters I've spent in excess of 200 hours playing (eek), and to be honest I don't think I can remember their names. The odds of remembering one of the Guild Wars characters I spent 10 minutes with? Little to none.

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']Yeah, I have nothing to add, frankly, except to agree and underscore that character names as a security question is nuts. I've got WoW characters I've spent in excess of 200 hours playing (eek), and to be honest I don't think I can remember their names. The odds of remembering one of the Guild Wars characters I spent 10 minutes with? Little to none.[/QUOTE]

If you think 200's bad.......

haha! No, it's not... All that matters is you're having a good time! I was just guessing with 200. It might be higher. :S (It probably is, but I swore off using the /played thing cause it gave me anxiety ha)

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']haha! No, it's not... All that matters is you're having a good time! I was just guessing with 200. It might be higher. :S (It probably is, but I swore off using the /played thing cause it gave me anxiety ha)[/QUOTE]

I know the feeling, once you type that and start breaking it down into days...OMFG

So...I didn't understand what you guys meant about the character names, until I had the game installed. Gaaah.

To onlookers:An increased security measure to the game accounts now are that you need to provide the name of a character on the account to log in. I haven't played in about a year. Time to email support.

[quote name='thehoweller']The whole character name confirmation's a ridiculous idea. People losing their accounts to people guessing their passwords, or friends after they've given them out...Deserve to lose their accounts.[/QUOTE]
Try doing a little research next time. That is not the reason.

bread's done
Back