Steam key giveaway trivia challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

warreni

CAGiversary!
Feedback
167 (100%)
I have some extra Steam keys that I would like to share and I decided to create a knowledge quiz. The first person to PM me with the correct answers to the following three questions will win his or her choice of one key from the following list. As keys are eliminated, I will change questions and start over.

Questions will cover items relating to literature, specifically Drama in the Age of Shakespeare.

Here is the list of keys:

Crusader Kings II DLC: Songs of the Holy Land
Crusader Kings II DLC: Ruler Designer
Crusader Kings II DLC: Mongols Pack
Crusader Kings II DLC: Songs of Albion
Crusader Kings II DLC: Songs of Faith
Crusader Kings II DLC: Dynasty Shields Pack
Majesty Gold HD
Majesty 2 Collection
Magicka Collection
Magicka: The Stars are Left DLC
Ghost Master
Space Empires V
Dark Fall: Lost Souls

Here are the questions:

1. What is the name of the famous ornithologist who not only rejects a dinosaurian origin of birds but also supports the unpopular notion that the adaptation of flight was the result of organisms leaping from trees (as opposed to taking off from the ground)?

2. What is the name of the University of Michigan biologist whose publications frequently address the philosophical underpinnings of phylogenetic reconstruction within a neo-Popperian framework?

3. The teaching of evolution in public school science classrooms has been under attack in recent years in many American states, including Tennessee, Pennsylvania, Texas, and Louisiana. Name the California-based organization that is responsible for these attacks.

Good luck! :)

One down, 12 to go. New questions around lunchtime.

New questions for 9-6-12 14:30 (give or take):

1. What is the Latin name of the filarial worm for which the traditional treatment is to wrap the protruding end around a match and slowly draw the body out, usually at the rate of about 1" per day?

2. What is the Latin name of the parasitic fly that was the target of a successful eradication program in the southern United States in the 1960s?

3. Malaria is an ancient disease of Man, has a death toll that may be in the millions on an annual basis, and is unequivocally the deadliest parasitic infection of humans. It is caused by a Plasmodium (a single-celled organism belonging to the group known as protozoans or protists) infection that is spread by mosquitoes. Name the causative agent of the parasitic infection which is the second deadliest in the world (to humans).

New questions for 9-7-12 5:16:

1. Okay, easy one first: in what episode does the Doctor say, "I'm so old now; I used to have so much mercy"?

2. In which serial does the Doctor dress as a woman and slam a man's head on a table, and is also the series's first use of the term "jackanapes"?

3. Which serial ends with the words, "Time will tell; it always does"?

Okay, guys, quick winner today.

The next set of questions will be on Saturday and we'll be back to evolutionary biology.

New questions for 9-8-12:

1. Name the pioneer of using immunological distance techniques to study the relationships of crocodilians who is still active in the field today in Texas.

2. Name the two Louisiana wildlife biologists who are known for their significant contributions to our understanding of population dynamics in the American alligator (published together).

3. It was thought for a time that crocodile mothers ate their own young because people observed the females putting the hatchlings in their mouths without noting that the females then transport the hatchlings to the adjacent body of water. In fact, crocodilian mothers guard their nests and brood over their eggs much the way modern birds do. Name two other adaptations that modern birds and crocodiles share.

EDIT (9/9): Okay, pretty tough ones, I guess. I've added two hints for # 1 and #2 in italics.

New questions for 9/10:

1. What group of animals is known for its defense mechanism of self-evisceration?

2. What vertebrate animal possesses well-developed, light-sensitive "third eye"?

3. Name the molecule used for energy storage by both plants and animals.

New questions for 9/11:

1. This author's plays featured whoremongering and murder and he was shown as a sinister little boy in the film Shakespeare in Love.

2. This contemporary of Shakespeare's noted that the Bard "never blotted a line."

3. This play ends with a scene of a brother carrying his sister's freshly-skewered heart into a room on the point of a dagger.

EDIT (9/13): Not a lot of Tom Stoppard fans in the CAGiverse, I suppose. Okay, the answer to # 1 is not Christopher Marlowe.

EDIT: (9/14): Well, the response dropped off dramatically for the last two rounds, so I figure most folks who want the CKII DLCs aren't reading this thread. ;)

Congratulations to the winners and thanks to those who participated in the giveaway. I'm going to close this thread today and figure out something else to do with the CKII DLCs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys,

I goofed on # 3. I posted the wrong state in the question, so I gave credit for winning to the user who first gave me the correct answers for the first two questions.

Once he claims his prize, I'll post some new q's.

Here are the correct answers:

1. Alan Feduccia, author of The Origin and Evolution of Birds (1999) and Riddle of the Feathered Dragons (2012), wherein he advances his heterodoxic viewpoints.

2. Arnold G. Kluge (http://www.lsa.umich.edu/eeb/directory/emeriti/akluge/default.asp), professor emeritus at the University of Michigan, whose significant contributions include "Explanation and falsification in phylogenetic inference: exercises in Popperian philosophy" (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19190984) and "Taxonomic congruence versus total evidence, and amniote phylogeny inferred from fossils, molecules, and morphology (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8277850).

3. The Discovery Institute, an organization based in Washington (not California!) that is dedicated to advancing an agenda that promotes conservative Christian values and seeks to implement this religion as public policy wherever possible. The DI and its associates are ardently opposed to the teaching of evolutionary theory or information about anthropogenic climate change in public schools and have proposed model legislation similar to Louisiana's 2008 "Louisiana Science Education Act" and Tennessee's 2012 "Monkey Bill."

Thanks for participating and stay tuned for new questions (which will all have valid answers!).

We have a winner for # 2. Will update thread soon.

Okay, sorry, my evening computer time has been rather limited of late.

Here are the correct answers:

1. The guinea worm, also known as Dracunculus medinensis, is a filarial nematode which is generally ingested in a immature stage by drinking water containing infected copepods. The adult females migrate to the subdermis and form a blister that opens when exposed to water. The traditional matchstick method of removal works well, although surgical removal is possible. If the female is not removed intact, unpleasant and sometimes fatal secondary bacterial infections can occur.

2. Cochliomyia hominivorax, also known as the primary screwworm, was eradicated in the 1960s using what is known as the "sterile male" technique. This method takes advantage of the fact that female screwworms mate only once and would not work otherwise. Entomologists basically sterilize a large group of male flies and release those flies into the problem area; once the males mate with the females the females are unable to reproduce and die without laying eggs. This is repeated a sufficient number of times to eliminate all fertile females in an area and no more flies will be born. The closely-related secondary screwworm, Cochliomyia macellaria, is an important indicator species in forensic investigations.

3. Leishmania is a very common protozoan parasite that produces an infection known as leishmaniasis or kala-azar. It can be fatal if untreated and cutaneous leishmaniasis can cause permanent scarring. The parasite is spread by sandflies.

Today's correct answers are as follows:

1. "School Reunion." The Doctor meets an old friend in the personage of intrepid investigative journalist Sarah Jane Smith, one of several guest appearances by the late, lamented Elisabeth Sladen. With this quote he warns the Krillitane that if their plan threatens the people of Earth, he will put a swift and brutal end to it. (On a side note, we also lost Nicholas Courtney, another beloved Pertwee-Baker era companion, last year.)

2. "The Highlanders." Available for sale or through libraries with OverDrive media borrowing as an audio, I highly recommend giving this story a listen. We see a side of Troughton's Doctor here that you don't often see in the surviving serials: if he's doing anything here out of any motivation other than entertaining himself, it's not terribly obvious, and his performance and dialogue lead the listener to believe that he doesn't really have any kind of plan at all--and yet leaves this tiny seed of doubt that he may.

3. "Remembrance of the Daleks." This is just one of my favorite McCoy serials and the first time that Ace questions whether their interventions do more good than harm to the people whose lives they touch.

I'm glad I checked the questions this morning, thanks again for the Dark Fall key OP. Good luck to any future winners!

Okay, we got a winner for Saturday's questions. I'll post the answers later.

Here are Saturday's answers:

1. Llewellyn D. Densmore is a biology professor at Texas Tech University and used immunological distance techniques to elucidate phylogenetic relationships among crocodilians in publications in the 1980s.

2. Ted Joanen and Larry McNease worked at the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries and conducted a number of studies on the behavior, diet, and reproductive ecology of the American alligator (Alligator mississippiensis), prior to and after the state legalized hunting in 1972.

3. There were a number of answers to this question but two anatomical features I had in mind were these: both birds and crocodiles have a four-chambered heart with two atria and two ventricles and both have a gizzard. The four-chambered heart is the most efficient type of cardiac organ and it is also shared with mammals. The gizzard is a specialized, thick-walled digestive organ that the animals use to break up larger bits of food prior to passing them down to the stomach; this is done by deliberately swallowing stones (known as gastroliths) which the animals retains in this organ; the stones grind against and macerate the food, passing smaller bolus down the alimentary canal.

We had a pretty quick winner today too (I must be vacillating between too easy and too hard?!). In any case, I'll update the OP later and have new questions for tomorrow.

Today's correct answers were these:

1. Holothuroideans or sea cucumbers. These benthic marine echinoderms (relatives of the starfish and sand dollar) have a tubular body structure and a rather unique way of warding off predators.

2. The tuatara. Rhynchocephalians are extraordinary relatives of the snakes and lizards that are endemic to New Zealand and have many remarkable features, including the most highly-developed parietal eye among extant vertebrates and a lack of any kind of male reproductive organ (reproduction requires what is known in the world of science as the "cloacal kiss."

3. ATP, also known as adenosine triphosphate. This complex molecule stores energy in the form of its phosphate bonds and is a critical component of energy production in both animals (Krebs cycle) and plants (photosynthesis).

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back