Steam Machine finally available for pre order $449.99 - $749.99

The Alienware Alpha i3 that matches the Steam Machine i3 has dropped to $300 multiple times and doesn't have a useless OS.

All this thread is so em ess are pee.

Yeah, you would be pretty stupid to order one of these.  However, if you want a similar device just wait for these to release and the already released Alpha will drop further.  You can already get the Alpha i5 for the price of the steam machine i3.  Stupid.

The Alienware Alpha i3 that matches the Steam Machine i3 has dropped to $300 multiple times and doesn't have a useless OS.

All this thread is so em ess are pee.

Yeah, you would be pretty stupid to order one of these. However, if you want a similar device just wait for these to release and the already released Alpha will drop further. You can already get the Alpha i5 for the price of the steam machine i3. Stupid.
Curious as to when the alpha has been that cheap. I've kept my eyes on it for a few weeks and was hoping for a sub $400 price.

Not in the same form factor with quality of parts you won't.
That said the Alienware alphas from last year can be had for $350-400 sometimes and are a MUCH better offering as they allow you to run full windows and you're not locked down to just steam.
Alienware = Dell = Shit.

It's always better to pick the parts and build it yourself. I've been doing this for 15+ years.

Many people like the form factor of a console that's why these are intriguing. I spent forever hunting for a case that was horizontal that I could sit on a entertainment stand but never found one and had to settle for a regular pc case. But I do agree in waiting on this particular one since it doesn't mention what the card is.
There are quite a few HTPC cases that can take place of a standard ATX case and use normal sized parts. They work pretty well, with the only detriments being that they're not as roomy/easy to navigate and the airflow isn't as good. I had a Silverstone one for a while and was quite happy with it.

These Steam Machines might look nicer and be more compact, but it doesn't look like they could fit a standard sized graphics card.

And I'm with the prior poster that asked as to why there's no details on which graphics card they use. Kinda curious, since they go into detail about what CPU you get.

There are quite a few HTPC cases that can take place of a standard ATX case and use normal sized parts. They work pretty well, with the only detriments being that they're not as roomy/easy to navigate and the airflow isn't as good. I had a Silverstone one for a while and was quite happy with it.

These Steam Machines might look nicer and be more compact, but it doesn't look like they could fit a standard sized graphics card.

And I'm with the prior poster that asked as to why there's no details on which graphics card they use. Kinda curious, since they go into detail about what CPU you get.
If I'm not mistaken, it's a mobile GPU part they use, that is custom built for them. I would guess it's just going to end up being something like a 960m.

The graphics card they use is a GTX 860m which is found in a lot of gaming laptops. Various websites claim its similar to the GTX 750ti, only a hair less powerful.

I am a born and raised console gamer since colecovision. I always wanted to try PC gaming and when I got the chance to grab Alienware Alpha for $330, I did. The best review I read called the alpha "The gateway drug to PC gaming." I cant begin to tell you how right they were. The machine is great, Im running Witcher 3 on it at a mix of medium and high settings and getting much better framerates than console. With that being said, I am hooked in and already started my build. (Cant wait for my mobo and 980 card to get here!!) If anyone is thinking about it, get the alpha NOW while it still comes with windows 8. Once my build is done, ill move the alpha to my living room as a great HTPC running kodi and hyperspin. It is a cool little box and if you get it on sale + best buy trade credit like i did, youll be happy. NOBODY can build a rig for $330-$350 that will run games like the alpha does. And if it helps a console gamer find out how amazing PC gaming is, its a win/win.
should of gotten the 980 ti, better value

Not in the same form factor with quality of parts you won't.
Not true. I've already done it. https://pcpartpicker.com/b/24Cypg

That said the Alienware alphas from last year can be had for $350-400 sometimes and are a MUCH better offering as they allow you to run full windows and you're not locked down to just steam.

Also not true. The one I built cost me about $350 at the time, including the stuff to make it look nice. Steam Big Picture is just the overlay, not the operating system. It runs on full a Linux (Gnome) distro with access to the desktop and it has full support for any software you could possibly need. Virtual machines are also possible, in case you really need Windows to run your Microsoft Office apps.

i pre ordered the steam link....i don't need the box.....

i don't think i need it at least.

i may need it

i should probably get it.

im gonna get it.

i just pre ordered 4 of them

I'm considering buying one at gamestop, I have so much credit from the recent trade in deals and this credit is burning a whole in pocket. I don't really consider my game stop credit to be real "out of pocket" money, otherwise it wouldn't consider buying one with "real money"

I already own a ps4 and Xbox one.

Also is the low end one VS the high end one really worth the price difference? and yes I know I can build one for a better price but I don't have real money I have GameStop money.

Thnaks

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back