Steam Midweek Madness - AvP Classic 2000 $2 / Commandos Collection - $5

animalspinners

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
http://store.steampowered.com/app/3730/ - AvP 2000

No end date given, but probably Thursday at 7 pm EST as that's when they've been stopping the Midweek Madness deals.

I own it, can't go wrong for $2, it is worth at least that. It also has the MP back in. From personal experience, the game runs great despite being an older game, Rebellion did a great job.

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/4156

Also on sale is the Commandos Pack for $4.99. Included in the collection are

- Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines
- Commandos: Beyond the Call of Duty
- Commandos 2
- Commandos 3

These games, namely the first two Commandos games, appear to have problems with newer systems (i.e any computer built in the last 4 years, probably) that Eidos didn't bother to fix on the Steam versions - saving / loading glitches, and speed problems. The saving / loading is fixed, however read about the speed problem here:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=545609

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='2000man']I haven't played this one. Is it still worth it? I can't argue with the price. Is it worth my time?[/QUOTE]

Great old school game; for $2, just get it.
I got it for $5 when it first came out, and had a blast with it.

[quote name='thetruelokre']got this, the commandos pack and zombie driver for 12 bucks, can't beat that for 6 games

thanks for making me look at steam this week op[/QUOTE]

i'm still searching and cant a commandos pack?

got a link?

Some years ago, before Steam, and around the time when Xplosiv and "Sold Out"
were popular, I bought a bunch of older PC games, new in box. I got the
Xplosiv version of AvP, and the full, large boxed version of part 2. Of course,
I know that I'll be rebuying all of those, once they're cheap enough.

I miss big game boxes.

[quote name='Peter908']Commandos pack seems to be on sale as well for $5. (4 commando games)[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I'll update the thread.

The Steam forums are ablaze with issues of the games (especially Commandos 1) not working, including the games running too fast, not being able to save / load, and other issues.

It looks like the saving / loading has a fix, but the fix for it running too fast seems to involve a number of outside programs. Buyer beware if you don't feel like messing around with it to get it to run.

If you want to spend a little more, the GoG versions of the first two Commandos game are available for $5.99 and according to their forums, have been fixed to allow the correct speed. I guess Eidos itself doesn't care and just keeps selling the games on Steam, without a fix.

For anyone who gets the Commandos pack, here is the link to fix the saving / loading issues:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1137064

I have no idea why Valve doesn't, at the very least, check to make sure games are in proper working order before allowing publishers to put deals on them. Considering Commandos works fine in GoG (and a few other places according to Steam forums, like Gamestop's DD) the publisher needs to make sure it works in Steam (especially when putting it on sale). This isn't the first time I've seen them put games that don't work on sale.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='animalspinners']Considering Commandos works fine in GoG (and a few other places according to Steam forums, like Gamestop's DD) Eidos / SE needs to make sure it works in Steam. This isn't the first time I've seen them put games that don't work on sale.[/QUOTE]

I don't think Eidos still have publishing rights to the game, or maybe their publishing contract from the '90s didn't cover digital download versions. You'll note steam lists Kalypso Media as the publishers of the game, as do GOG and GamersGate. And even the Commandos trademarks are all owned by the developers, not Eidos.

I'd say responsibility for keeping the game working if they're going to sell it lies with Pyro Studios, especially if they're hoping this sale will drum up interest in the upcoming sequel. Though it seems odd that GG would have a working version, I didn't know they ship compatibility wrappers like GOG does.

[quote name='bitter1961']I don't think Eidos still have publishing rights to the game, or maybe their publishing contract from the '90s didn't cover digital download versions. You'll note steam lists Kalypso Media as the publishers of the game, as do GOG and GamersGate. And even the Commandos trademarks are all owned by the developers, not Eidos.
.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I edited my post, I'm living in the past I guess, haha.

Hate to be so vein but I feel like a lot will be lost with AvP due to the decade old graphics and I'd just stop playing it. Don't think I'll bite this week.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Hate to be so vein but I feel like a lot will be lost with AvP due to the decade old graphics and I'd just stop playing it. Don't think I'll bite this week.[/QUOTE]

They "upped" the resolution available for gameplay, but the textures still look like ass. It's still fun in short bursts. The guns feel really weak though.

Commandos Bundle does not appear to be a sale price, $4.99 appears to be the normal price for the new bundle, so it's possible it could go on sale at some point in the future and be lower.

[quote name='gamerdogbert']Commandos Bundle does not appear to be a sale price, $4.99 appears to be the normal price for the new bundle, so it's possible it could go on sale at some point in the future and be lower.[/QUOTE]

The front page lists it as a Midweek Madness... it rotates between that and AvP.

AvP at first was just listed with no price cut, then a straight $1.99, then finally $4.99 reduced to $1.99. Hell, they didn't even update the news feed with the sales.

It's an error on Steams part I believe. It even comes up as a Midweek Madness when you start Steam (it did for me). It'll probably shoot back up come Thursday. If you are interested, I wouldn't wait.

Wow...I knew this would happen. I posted the day AVP 2000 Classic beame available on Steam for $5...but like a CAG, I waited myself. For $2...I finally bit to play this awesome game again!

I also bit on the Commandos bundle for $5. $7 total to relive these great games is an utter steal! Thank you OP...great job! :)

got the commandos pack last night..the biggest problem I have with these are whether I should split them up, or keep it as a 'pack' on my collection spread sheet :lol:

[quote name='Dark Lord Greg']how can you say no for $2?[/QUOTE]

Easy....no. ;) Played it when it was released, had fun, dont have any desire to try it again.

But have never played the commandos series and am considering that.

I'm on the fence, since I've heard a lot about the game in recent weeks, but never played the game when it was released.

Any thoughts/reviews that can help me out?

It's probably worth it to note that X-Play named AvP 2000 as one of their recent "Games for Cheap Bastards" just at the $5 mark. At $2, couldn't pass it up

Both deals are for great games. If you haven't played them before then they are must buys. I've already run through them back in the day so I'll pass. Can't see myself playing them again with all the other games I have waiting for me to play them.

bread's done
Back