Steam: Modern Warfare 2 Free Weekend

DukeEdwardI

CAGiversary!
Feedback
59 (100%)
mw2_spot.jpg

Link

Starting this Thursday at 4pm pacific time. Pre-loading is available.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Haaaaaaaahahahaha, hooohohohohoho, heeeeheeeheehe[/QUOTE]

My reaction as soon as I saw it.

It's almost like Activision is saying, even with a discount, our game is still worth more than almost everything else available.

I might go ahead and buy Battlefield: Bad Company 2, since it's better and CHEAPER despite being full price.

It's sad considering brand new copies of MW 2 are as low as $30 on Ebay, and are all Steamworks enabled.

Bad Comp 2 is way better IMO, and way cheaper! You can get it now for $30 at EAstore.com using the coupon. Some ppl were smart enought to grab it for $19.95 when they had the digital download on sale a week or 2 ago.

[quote name='Guy Legend']Is the file really over 11gb? Ugh...[/QUOTE]

Yea, since there is no way to break apart the SP and MP, you've gotta download the whole file.

And since the preload never worked (I think the max it downloaded for people was 3.88 gb, at least that's as far as I got) everyone is grabbing it right now, so servers are hammered.

same boat here with the localization.txt and the small d/l. I am updating @ 3% right now. I guess it is back to ff xiii

The free weekend is a waste of bandwidth and hard drive space, not a deal
Also, the "weekend deal" price of what it should have been MSRP for is not a deal

[quote name='wankerjr']The "weekend deal" discount they're offering is pathetic.[/QUOTE]

*sigh* agree a measly 15% doesnt really count as a "weekend deal"

[quote name='wankerjr']The "weekend deal" discount they're offering is pathetic.[/QUOTE]

The horrible game they're discounting isn't worth anything over $20.

fuck this game.

Start up and it defaults to 640x480. Fix the settings and click "back to main menu"...which kicks me out of the game. Start it back up and select Team Deathmatch. Wait and...error, can't find game. Select Team Deathmatch again. Join a game in progress, on a losing team getting slaughtered by pros. 4 minutes later, kicked back to lobby with pro shitheads bragging on mic. Exit game, select "delete local content..."

[quote name='Sporadic']fuck this game.

Start up and it defaults to 640x480. Fix the settings and click "back to main menu"...which kicks me out of the game. Start it back up and select Team Deathmatch. Wait and...error, can't find game. Select Team Deathmatch again. Join a game in progress, on a losing team getting slaughtered by pros. 4 minutes later, kicked back to lobby with pro shitheads bragging on mic. Exit game, select "delete local content..."[/QUOTE]

The last part of this can pretty much be any FPS though... I've had lots of games of Bad Company 2 where I join and get put on a losing team getting slaughtered. I'm no MW2 apologist, but this isn't just an MW 2 scenario, and can pretty much apply to any FPS, PC or console.

My default resolution was a bit higher than that, but it didn't boot me out either when I changed it. I did have the can't find game error the first time I tried playing, and that's annoying, because it took like 3 or 4 minutes before it kicked me back out. I'm not trying to start some MW 2 argument or anything, I just wanted to put out the reaction I had to the free weekend (which, surprisingly, was mostly positive).

Also, for anyone getting this on the free weekend, use the Mute All button under sound options right away. But again, this is an issue with all games that use a mic.

My experience has been positive, other than the first game getting that error, and the second game having real bad lag... the other 10 or 11 games I played had almost no lag and no hackers that I saw (which apparently is a big problem as well). I've heard all the hackers play on Ground War, though.

It does have some gameplay probs, lots of camping and a ton of people using G18's, but it doesn't seem all that bad. Definitely not worth $50.99 for sure... probably $30 or under.

[quote name='dood23']They're also pushing the $15 DLC (ie wallet rape) on this too.[/QUOTE]
Yup 2.5M in the 1st week, Xbots clearly had no problem with it so it'll be interesting to see if the PC community can hold their ground with overpriced DLC.
It's essentially $5 for 3 maps since the other 2 were ripped from CoD4.

I bought Bad Company 2 for $20, I played the single player until the save point issues frustrated me. I recently switched to the multi-player. I got very frustrated that the Medic class doesn't even have any Medic abilities starting out.

This morning I played (after downloading the 11+ gigs) and was stunned to see how much better the game seemed to control compared to Bad Company 2. It is probably because I'm not that great at shooters, and MW2 is aimed somewhat towards people like me. However, I came away from one match just liking the controls in MW2 a lot better. Don't get me wrong though I got to experience what it is like to be filling someone full of bullets and have them sprinting towards me with a knife, only to be the one that dies.

The deal on this isn't the game being "on sale". It is a free weekend rental of a really fun multiplayer shooter. Plus I don't have to give Activision a dime of my money to play this weekend, and most likely get burnt out.

[quote name='Jeff Stephen']Yup 2.5M in the 1st week, Xbots clearly had no problem with it so it'll be interesting to see if the PC community can hold their ground with overpriced DLC.
It's essentially $5 for 3 maps since the other 2 were ripped from CoD4.[/QUOTE]
Are they still haveing issues with the DLC?

who knows maybe they will surprise us all and then all the CODs will be on sale the last day...its wishful thinking

Meh, we can only hope. I dont think MW2 is a Steam dependant game meaning they dont use Steam servers, it just happens to be available on Steam. So most likely they can only drop the price but so much, where as the actual Steam dependant games they do awesome deals with every week!

[quote name='Dann-o']Meh, we can only hope. I dont think MW2 is a Steam dependant game meaning they dont use Steam servers, it just happens to be available on Steam. So most likely they can only drop the price but so much, where as the actual Steam dependant games they do awesome deals with every week![/QUOTE]

MW2 uses Steamworks. You have to install Steam to play it. And whether a game has Steamworks or not has no bearing on the discount it'll receive when it goes on sale. Borderlands was half-off last weekend, and that's not Steamworks.

I have to admit, when this first came out, it was great on PC. It's always fun playing a new COD online at release, since there are no cheats/exploits etc.

I most definitely would not pay $60, but I paid $20 with some trade-ins, and got over 200 hours out of the MP and Spec Ops. Haven't played in ages though (moved from PC to Xbox 360 in terms of gaming), but the MP was fun besides the rediculous killstreaks.

Battlefield: BC2 definitely beats it in every aspect by a long shot, though, except maybe map design (the biggest flaw in BC/BC2).

Free weekend...hah! 11gb of bandwidth and some of you couldn't even play it -.-

[quote name='geohouse']Damn only multiplayer, i'll pass.[/QUOTE]

Of course it is, if they gave people 48 hours to play the single player everyone would beat it and then never buy it. They want ya hooked on the MP ranking so youll buy the whole game.

All the COD games have been to expensive to be worth what little you actually get out of them so like the others Ill nab it used off ebay in a year or so. Course given how activision keeps the damn msrp so high on COD anymore I might never play it, hell MW is still like 30 bucks on pc most places.

I have bad company 2 to hold me over anyway till BF3 comes out.

[quote name='geohouse']Damn only multiplayer, i'll pass.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's what I remembered it saying-annoying I don't see that now, which means I'd waste all weekend downloading it, blow 11GB of my quota or whatever, and then it turns out it's really just multiplayer.

bread's done
Back