Steam- Torchlight $10

Well just about 6 hours after buying it am i finally able to install it (fell asleep for a few hours, so didn't try it for all 6).

Went ahead and bought this for whenever I can afford a new copy of Windows XP to put on my iMac, LOL... the old gaming PC died like a year ago, and I made the mistake of buying XP Media Center Edition a few years back, foolishly thinking the Xbox 360 integration would actually be something useful. Now I can't install it on the iMac cuz it's more than 1 disc.

[quote name='ddrpower']Curious question:

On the Torchlight blog, it indicates that the retail version of the game will have a ferret as a third pet. The blog fails to mention if it'll be updated to the other versions of the game, or be a retail exclusive pet. Any ideas?[/QUOTE]

This is a good question, as not only did I not know this little factoid, but would also like an answer (already bought it, can't pass up an awesome-and-on-sale action/RPG/dungeon crawler, those are "my" RPG's, don't like turn-based stuff)...

Interesting, a ferret...like Beastmaster!

[quote name='Ryukahn']Put about an hour into this so far, and it's really fun. Definitely recommend it for $10.[/QUOTE]

I put in about the same amount of time and totally agree. Weird thing though is this is the first game that I am having so much fun it felt like i played way longer then I really did... kind of weird because it is normally the other way around (time wise).

But yeah it is a great game.

[quote name='ddrpower']Curious question:

On the Torchlight blog, it indicates that the retail version of the game will have a ferret as a third pet. The blog fails to mention if it'll be updated to the other versions of the game, or be a retail exclusive pet. Any ideas?[/QUOTE]
Hopefully with the mod tools it could be ported over even if it was exclusive.

[quote name='EliotAndrews']I like how even Steam stopped advertising the free weekend of Team Fortress 2 and switched the banner to Torchlight. Truly, this is a worthwhile Weekend Deal.[/QUOTE]

They didn't remove the TF2 banner, they never just remove stuff if there is a special. If there is more than one deal going that warrants a banner, they alternate. I guess you don't use Steam much if you haven't noticed that. Just refresh the page a couple of times and you'll see the banner changes.

I'd been waiting for $10 sale on this title. Played it for an hour and I can already tell this will hold me over until Diablo 3, easily :)

Thank you, OP/CAG! I was 'window shopping' on Steam just a couple nights ago, wistfully hoping that this would go on sale, not because of its cost, but because I usually exhibit no patience on games like this. It's a Christmas (or Festivus) miracle!

[quote name='Raymond']No Online, no pvp, and no loots bragging right = no buy.[/QUOTE]

So do you only own Diablo and MMOs? Because if you do own others than you are being a hypocrite.

But for me it goes: Fun = buy.

[quote name='JolietJake']I'd probably buy if it had online support.[/QUOTE]

While playing it, it does feel like some online or co-op support would have been awesome.

Played it earlier on hard mode and I have to say it may be the best Diablo clone I've played.

Runic doesn't intend to add multiplayer support, but it's possible to mod it in. More info in offtopic spoiler:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROi_PoWQThc
The potential for multiplayer is there.

Also
[quote name='Runic Games Torchlight Q&A re: multiplayer'] 1) Will there be multiplayer in Torchlight (the single player ARPG that is currently released)?

No. The developers do not plan to add a multiplayer to the currently released version of Torchlight. There is a very rare possibility a 3rd party multiplayer mod could arise, but it is unlikely, and isn't official.

2) Then what is this Torchlight Multiplayer I keep hearing about?

The Torchlight MMO is a separate game from the Torchlight ARPG that has already been released. It will be a free-to-play + online shop MMO game set in the Torchlight world. This will be an MMO, and thus multiplayer. This is not a multiplayer mod to the Torchlight ARPG and you will not be able to carry over your current Torchlight character into the MMO version.

3) What is a free-to play MMO? Don't MMOs have a monthly fee?

A free-to-play MMO is free to download and play. The way the game makes money is by selling things (some select things, not everything) for real money in game. These may be potions that increase your exp gain for a duration, items, mounts, etc. (These are just examples and to my knowledge there has been no confirmation from Runic about what exactly will be sold in the Torchlight shop. Shopping at the store is optional, and you can play the game without doing it. There will be no monthly recurring fee to play the game.

4) Why doesn't Torchlight, the ARPG that is currently out, have multiplayer?

Torchlight was made in under a year with the goal of providing a highly moddable single player ARPG experience. Runic decided that, rather than add multiplayer to this version of the game, they would focus on delivering the best single player game they could in their time frame, and then move on to development of their MMO.

5) When will the MMO be released?

Runic has said that their current time frame is 18-24 months from the release of the Torchlight ARPG. I imagine like most release dates, this is subject to change. But again, I remind everyone that I am not affiliated with Runic, so all I have to go by is that general time frame they've given.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Kaltic']So do you only own Diablo and MMOs? Because if you do own others than you are being a hypocrite.

But for me it goes: Fun = buy.[/QUOTE]

But, unlike other games. This game is kinda repetitively. Click, Kill, loot. Click more, Kill more, loot more. No story or whatsoever. I don't think anyone play Diablo in single player.

[quote name='Raymond']But, unlike other games. This game is kinda repetitively. Click, Kill, loot. Click more, Kill more, loot more. No story or whatsoever. I don't think anyone play Diablo in single player.[/QUOTE]
You would be wrong good sir. There are many of us out there who do not enjoy the inane idiocy of the online community and prefer to play on our own. I put in about 100 hours on D2 back in the day, all solo.

[quote name='Raymond']But, unlike other games. This game is kinda repetitively. Click, Kill, loot. Click more, Kill more, loot more. No story or whatsoever. I don't think anyone play Diablo in single player.[/QUOTE]

Er, there is a story, so not sure what you were playing. It may not be on the grand scale of a Final Fantasy or some thing similar, but a story is still there.

As I have said many times before, every game is repetitive. Whether you like a game or not is going to be determined by your enjoyment of the repetition after 5 to 10 hours.

[quote name='SDC']As I have said many times before, every game is repetitive. Whether you like a game or not is going to be determined by your enjoyment of the repetition after 5 to 10 hours.[/QUOTE]

I already knew someone is going to say this. Like I also said, this game got no story or whatsoever to keep you from coming back other than the repetitive monster killing. Other games have at least a story or strategy involve in combat. Not just mindlessly clicking.

Why are you guys bashing my balls on how I should like this game? Go ahead and enjoy the game yourself.

I put a couple hundred hours in to Diablo II and most of that was SP. I never played on Battlenet with random people, too much duping and cheating. I either played SP or with my friends in private games.

People like what they like, and there's little point in trying to account for (or argue against) taste. For my part, I adore the teamwork element of dungeon crawls, so I'm fairly turned off by the fact that Torchlight has no multiplayer. But there are plenty of people who love playing Diablo solo, and I can easily see that Torchlight is practically tailor-made for them.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Raymond']I already knew someone is going to say this. Like I also said, this game got no story or whatsoever to keep you from coming back other than the repetitive monster killing. Other games have at least a story or strategy involve in combat. Not just mindlessly clicking.

Why are you guys bashing my balls on how I should like this game? Go ahead and enjoy the game yourself.[/QUOTE]

I think you're confusing the point of people expressing themselves about your *reasoning* with people saying you *have to* like it. I watched a several minute GT.com review that someone linked and already know there is a story, I think it's your attitude that is an area of contention, not your taste in gaming. Nobody's telling you to fall in love with the game, but you're just as easily allowed to say "it's not my style" and move on, rather than spinning or downplaying facets of the game, or outright covering up some (like an absence of story? I saw the review, there IS one, it's not MGS caliber but there IS ONE). I have yet to try it, but from a video know you're not being truthful. Most games involve some level of repetition, if that particular action is not your taste, of course doing it repeatedly will wear on you, what's your point there? Any game at all can be broken down to repetition, if summarized cleverly, so that doesn't fly, sorry.

I've bought the game, but the last 8 times I tried to download it, the server's been busy. I entirely bought it for solo, don't care about an omission of online, and rarely play games online. If I want human elements fused with my games, I opt for split screen or local play (or LAN party type), as it's fun to be around your teammates/opponents.

Quick question: I bought the D2D version when it was $15 and I've put a lot of time into it already. Is it possible to use my savegame with the Steam version? I'm considering rebuying it just for the convenience of Steam.

[quote name='Raymond']I already knew someone is going to say this. Like I also said, this game got no story or whatsoever to keep you from coming back other than the repetitive monster killing. Other games have at least a story or strategy involve in combat. Not just mindlessly clicking.

Why are you guys bashing my balls on how I should like this game? Go ahead and enjoy the game yourself.[/QUOTE]

I wasn't saying that to be rude, dude I like games with stories, sure, but if the repetitive gameplay is boring they won't hold my interest anyway.
I don't know what it is about Diablo-style games (I don't play them myself), but some people just LOVE getting that next piece of loot.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I couldn't care less if you don't like it.

However, if you are going to criticize the game, do so appropriately. The game does have story, and it isn't just "mindless clicking"... unless, maybe, if you are playing on easy.

I played this for a few hours while being trapped inside by snow. I absolutely love this game! Thanks for the deal OP and Steam.

Temptation won.. but steam keeps telling me the servers are busy so I can't actually download it.

Bought it, couldn't say no especially since I had ALOT of fun playing D1 and 2 by myself back in the day. But I've spent so much on games the past month :(

Klank, I changed my DL location from chicago to Dallas and it started on first try. Try changing that.l

[quote name='JUDOHAWK']Bought it, couldn't say no especially since I had ALOT of fun playing D1 and 2 by myself back in the day. But I've spent so much on games the past month :(

Klank, I changed my DL location from chicago to Dallas and it started on first try. Try changing that.l[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up about that. Worked like a charm.

[quote name='JUDOHAWK']
Klank, I changed my DL location from chicago to Dallas and it started on first try. Try changing that.l[/QUOTE]

+1
This also helped me. Thanks!

bread's done
Back