Steam Treasure Hunt - Dec 6-20 - Play games for chances to win, plus sales every day!

CoffeeEdge

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
So, now that we're just getting starting to get over the awesome overload from the Give & Get sale and finally have a moment to take a breath and actually play some of the games we bought, and right when we were thinking that we were safe from the next huge promotion was the usual late-December Holiday Sale, Steam is back with...

If you want the quick explanation, just click the above banner and read it yourself, but here's the detailed breakdown that should answer any questions anyone should have. Every ~48 hours/two days, from now until December 20th, Steam will present users with a set of four "objectives." Some of these might be things outside of games (for instance, set up an avatar for your Steam community profile). Many of them, however, will be in-game tasks, related to earning specific achievements and/or leaderboard scores in specific games. And before you ask, yes, these objectives count retroactively, so if you've done any of them at any time in the past, the system will count that.

So, what's the point of completing all these random objectives, you ask? Chances at fabulous giveaways, that's what! Each objective you complete earns you one entry into that 48-hour period's giveaway (up to four, obviously, since that's how many objectives will be live at one time), and for each 48-hour period, 20 randomly selected winners from the pool of earned entries will win 5 games from their wishlist! The more objectives you complete, the better your odds. Also, I'm not sure if winners automatically get whatever their top 5 wishlisted games are, or if they get to pick them when they win; best to keep your wishlist ranked, just in case.

And on top of that, there's the ultimate grand prize giveaway: every user who completes at least 10 objectives total by December 20th will be entered into a drawing for 100 games of their choosing. One caveat: you must not only complete 10 objectives, but you must log in to Steam at any point on the 20th (Pacific Time). Complete your 10 objectives, log in on the 20th, and you're automatically entered. Out of everyone who qualifies, three winners will be randomly selected.

So, a giveaway (that odds are, you won't win), that's cool and all, but this is Steam we're talking about here, so of course that's not all there is to it. You might be thinking "well gee, most of these objectives are going to be based on achievements in games I might not own, so that kind of sucks for us who don't have those games." Well, here's where this promo benefits everyone: the games that are featured for the objectives during each 48-hour period will be on sale. So, even if you don't win anything, every two days, you'll have a few new Steam deals to empty your bank account on (as if you had any money left over after the Give & Get sale).

Oh, and for all you Team Fortress 2 hatwhores out there, there's something here for you, as well. You'll get exclusive hat unlocks for completing 5, 15, and 28 objectives throughout this event. Enjoy, you sluts!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Now, for today's objectives and deals (I'll move this section to the top of the post later):

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

EDIT: BONUS FUNFACT - YOUR WALLET IS DOOMED BECAUSE CHRISTMAS COMES TO STEAM EARLY THIS YEAR

Guess what, folks? Turns out the detailed rules for the Treasure Hunt promo actually out the start date of this year's big Holiday Sale. It's early this year, and will start on the 20th. Yup, this Treasure Hunt promo is going back-to-back with the Holiday Sale, which has usually proven to be the biggest sale of the year, for Steam. Our wallets are going to get POUNDED.

Here's the section of the rules I'm referring to:
Grand Prize Drawing: To enter, a user must complete 10 or more objectives above by the end of December 19, 2010, and then be logged into Steam at some time on December 20, 2010 (12:01am PST – 11:59 PM PST), the first day of the Steam Christmas Sale.

Last edited by a moderator:
A neat idea I guess, but I won't be able to participate much. I'm visiting family for the holidays and even if I end up having some of the titles required I won't be able to play them.

Might be able to get a TF2 hat, and enter a few of the 5 game wishlist lotteries though.

Crap, it's not enough that I bought a ton of games from Steam during the BF sale...now they want me to buy even more AND PLAY THEM so I can win even more games?!?

This...I will resist.

[Damn...those are some good discounts on Chime and Poker Night...no, need to resist!]

[quote name='crzyboy88']Dammit Steam. 100 games? REALLY?! They're actually giving away 100 games. Holy crap.[/QUOTE]

Actually, a total of 440 games total will be given away, if you add it all up.

[quote name='Aliens']Please tell me the "traditional" Winter sale will still be coming...[/QUOTE]
Duh. Actually, the rules for the Treasure Hunt promo out the start date of the Holiday Sale. It's early this year, and will start on the 20th. Yup; this promo is back-to-back with the Holiday Sale. Our wallets are going to get POUNDED.

Here's the section of the rules I'm referring to:
Grand Prize Drawing: To enter, a user must complete 10 or more objectives above by the end of December 19, 2010, and then be logged into Steam at some time on December 20, 2010 (12:01am PST – 11:59 PM PST), the first day of the Steam Christmas Sale.

This is a sweet piece of info, so I'm adding it to the OP.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Aliens']Please tell me the "traditional" Winter sale will still be coming...[/QUOTE]

This simply appears to be a tideover.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Actually, a total of 440 games total will be given away, if you add it all up.
[/QUOTE]

Actually: 3x100 + 7 (every 2 days) x 20 (winners) x 5 games.

Crap, managed to fail the chime thing to get to the next level so far, lol.

Genius counter to the ongoing pre-Christmas sales by every other digital distributor. It's a mad time to be a PC gamer. I do love it when Competition yields results.

[quote name='TheLongshot']Unfortunately, I won't be home until next week, so I can't do any of this...[/QUOTE]
The good news is that any tasks that you have already done, you should automatically get entered. Dunno if you have to log in to submit your entries, but them again you can do that remotely by logging into the Steam store.

Pretty cool idea and I'm glad that you don't have to complete every objective to still be a winner. Think I'll get Poker Night when I get home. Glad I waited on it.

[quote name='Pheace']Actually: 3x100 + 7 (every 2 days) x 20 (winners) x 5 games.

Crap, managed to fail the chime thing to get to the next level so far, lol.[/QUOTE]

Oh sure enough, my bad. Forgot to multiply by 5. So, 1000 games in total!

steam has done it again, just when we thought we knew the sales schedule...they go and do something like this

Alright alright, I'll BUY Poker Night Steam, ok?! Sheesh...

Awesome promo though, I can see myself really getting hooked on this one.

Holy...! Have they no mercy? I need money buy christmas presents too you know!

But nice deals today, I'll be checking with anticipation for every new deal. Just picked up Chime (was on my wishlist) and Poker Night which I also wanted to get once it went cheaper, even though both are dirt cheap at their default prices. Two $5 games for less than $5, sweet.

Man, what an awesome promo. More sales on games is a great thing and it's a double win that if you like that game, you have a chance at winning MORE games just for playing it!

Sigh, sorry Mom & Dad, no Christmas gifts for you this year.

[quote name='52club']I was just thinking the GFW marketplace was making some headway.[/QUOTE]

Ow right, forgot about stalker, lol.

Not even sure if I'll get it now >.>

Not that their sale has helped my impression of it so far. Client crashes on my main computer, the inclient store royally sucks, can you even search? No gifting, no paypal.

Loooooooooooong way to go.

I can't believe steam would do this to me... I just got done buying stuff during the Thanksgiving sale and now this cool promotion?? WHY!!!! Oh well, probably gonna get Poker Night.

Damnit Steam, this is Finals week! Now not only do I have to study, but tonight I'll be purchasing Poker Night and Chime and playing them until I get those objectives done! So much work to do this week!

Hmm...this sounds nice and all but I'm not dropping money on games that I don't have any interest in just to get an entry into a contest. That's no better than trophy/achievement whores who buy/rent/play horrible abominations just to inflate their damn gamer score.

That said, this becomes a lot more interesting if games I care about go on sale and get objectives.

[quote name='Ardrid']Hmm...this sounds nice and all but I'm not dropping money on games that I don't have any interest in just to get an entry into a contest.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't expect anyone to do that...except the TF2 hatwhores, that is.

it would be nice for steam to buy my wallet dinner for all the...pain that it's about to suffer

just bought chime and poker night before coming in to work, this is going to be a rough few weeks on the pocketbook =/

Sort of confused on the Chime achievement. I played the time version of that level and got over 1.4 million. Do I have to do the non-timed one?

Regardless, the game is great.

Poker Night feels like a game that would be $10-$15 on xbla. I'm more than happy to pay $3 and from what I've played, it rocks.

Oh and poker night is pretty fun, for a poker game. About as much fun as you can have while playing with fake money. There is a lot of dialog that is genuinely funny.

[quote name='DemonAlcohol']Yea, i'm confused on that as well. I'm not sure how to play on 'easy' since the only options are 3,6 and 9 minutes.[/QUOTE]

9 minutes worked for me. I assumed more time = easier to get higher score xD

Especially since I didn't manage to get to the next song with 3 >.>

[quote name='Pheace']9 minutes worked for me. I assumed more time = easier to get higher score xD

Especially since I didn't manage to get to the next song with 3 >.>[/QUOTE]
Ditto, the 9 minute game got me the challenge.

bread's done
Back