Steam Treasure Hunt - Dec 6-20 - Play games for chances to win, plus sales every day!

CoffeeEdge

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
So, now that we're just getting starting to get over the awesome overload from the Give & Get sale and finally have a moment to take a breath and actually play some of the games we bought, and right when we were thinking that we were safe from the next huge promotion was the usual late-December Holiday Sale, Steam is back with...

If you want the quick explanation, just click the above banner and read it yourself, but here's the detailed breakdown that should answer any questions anyone should have. Every ~48 hours/two days, from now until December 20th, Steam will present users with a set of four "objectives." Some of these might be things outside of games (for instance, set up an avatar for your Steam community profile). Many of them, however, will be in-game tasks, related to earning specific achievements and/or leaderboard scores in specific games. And before you ask, yes, these objectives count retroactively, so if you've done any of them at any time in the past, the system will count that.

So, what's the point of completing all these random objectives, you ask? Chances at fabulous giveaways, that's what! Each objective you complete earns you one entry into that 48-hour period's giveaway (up to four, obviously, since that's how many objectives will be live at one time), and for each 48-hour period, 20 randomly selected winners from the pool of earned entries will win 5 games from their wishlist! The more objectives you complete, the better your odds. Also, I'm not sure if winners automatically get whatever their top 5 wishlisted games are, or if they get to pick them when they win; best to keep your wishlist ranked, just in case.

And on top of that, there's the ultimate grand prize giveaway: every user who completes at least 10 objectives total by December 20th will be entered into a drawing for 100 games of their choosing. One caveat: you must not only complete 10 objectives, but you must log in to Steam at any point on the 20th (Pacific Time). Complete your 10 objectives, log in on the 20th, and you're automatically entered. Out of everyone who qualifies, three winners will be randomly selected.

So, a giveaway (that odds are, you won't win), that's cool and all, but this is Steam we're talking about here, so of course that's not all there is to it. You might be thinking "well gee, most of these objectives are going to be based on achievements in games I might not own, so that kind of sucks for us who don't have those games." Well, here's where this promo benefits everyone: the games that are featured for the objectives during each 48-hour period will be on sale. So, even if you don't win anything, every two days, you'll have a few new Steam deals to empty your bank account on (as if you had any money left over after the Give & Get sale).

Oh, and for all you Team Fortress 2 hatwhores out there, there's something here for you, as well. You'll get exclusive hat unlocks for completing 5, 15, and 28 objectives throughout this event. Enjoy, you sluts!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Now, for today's objectives and deals (I'll move this section to the top of the post later):

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

EDIT: BONUS FUNFACT - YOUR WALLET IS DOOMED BECAUSE CHRISTMAS COMES TO STEAM EARLY THIS YEAR

Guess what, folks? Turns out the detailed rules for the Treasure Hunt promo actually out the start date of this year's big Holiday Sale. It's early this year, and will start on the 20th. Yup, this Treasure Hunt promo is going back-to-back with the Holiday Sale, which has usually proven to be the biggest sale of the year, for Steam. Our wallets are going to get POUNDED.

Here's the section of the rules I'm referring to:
Grand Prize Drawing: To enter, a user must complete 10 or more objectives above by the end of December 19, 2010, and then be logged into Steam at some time on December 20, 2010 (12:01am PST – 11:59 PM PST), the first day of the Steam Christmas Sale.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Jugglenaut']Damnit Steam, this is Finals week! Now not only do I have to study, but tonight I'll be purchasing Poker Night and Chime and playing them until I get those objectives done! So much work to do this week![/QUOTE]

I'm in the same boat.

In for Chime. Already had an avatar, and will play some more poker to grab the Heavy's loot. These F'in crazy Steam sales actually brought me back to PCs (my Mac and consoles had wooed me away years ago). As a result, I am building a HAF 932/i7 950/GTX580 rig to handle all the inevitable AAA titles I'll pick up between now and the end of the true winter sale.

So not only are they extracting even more money from my bank account, they're making me play the games too. fuck you, Steam, for cleverly taking advantage of my OCD tendencies.

Going to use up a lot of bandwidth downloading games in the next two weeks; not only does my wallet hate me, ComCast might end up having a few words with me...

I don't even play TF2 often but I want to get the hat. Ugh Steam. I probably won't get it but hopefully I can get at least 15 objectives.

Already have an avatar and I just (finally) got the Heavy's Iron Curtain.

I wonder just how few people will actually get that last hat...too bad I won't be one of them.

Goodbye, December, it was nice knowing you.

PS to other companies: Take note, this is how you get more people slowly introduced to your community features. Make them set it up to win free stuff.

Oh. My. God.

Jumped on this. Poker Night and Chime, bought. "Iron Curtain" was frustrating to get, but I got it on a first turn all-in with the Heavy and smoked him.

I felt bad I took his gun. :(

But I got a chance to get free games! :D

I gifted Chime to 2 friends. Game is awesome and cheap. Portions of the proceed goes to charity, so it's win all around. Cheap & awesome game, charities, entries into contest... Win-Win!

[quote name='fore1337']Awesome news thanks OP!
Already have chime on XBL so will probably pass.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough, but just so you know, in case it might affect your decision, the PC version does have an exclusive extra song, none other than "Still Alive" from Portal, and the game controls much, much better with a mouse.

[quote name='Explosive Pandas']So how difficult is it to get the Chime and Poker Night Objectives? Just wondering before I buy either, although $4.25 isn't going to make or break me.[/QUOTE]
I managed to get double the achievement on Chime first try; there's a "how to play" video floating around if you need help. The 9-minute run is the "easy" version. You don't need to be good at it, but you do need to have a vague idea of how to play.

The steam page won't show the completed achievement until you refresh.

For those on the fence poker night has some fun dialog but it starts repeating fast. The poker itself is frustrating as some rules are bent a bit. For one in order to get the heavy's weapon you have to take him out it's not last man standing. Also, I had the game either glitch or with some wierd rules on going all in. On more than one occasion it didn't give me my extra chips back that they couldn't afford to bet against after losing.

[quote name='forbiddenx']Man the poker achievement is a toughy[/QUOTE]Don't know if you care anything about your stats but the second everyone ante's up if the heavy didn't throw in his gun, just hit escape and go to new game. Repeat process till he offers up the gun.

At that point it's just poker - and try and stay in any hands the heavy is in, in the event he goes all-in since you don't want someone ELSE eliminating him from play.

Edit: Also completely agree with pROvIs, the game is basically all about the dialog which starts repeating. The rules are sound though - maybe you experienced some glitches. I earned the items and I doubt I'll go back to it.

I snagged Chime and currently I'm considering Poker Night. Damn, I thought I would have a few weeks to catch my breath from the last sales. Valve once again shows the rest how it's done.

Edit: I just bought Poker Night and got the Chime achievement.

[quote name='ras752000']Somebody must have got tired of all the "add me, add me, add me" and modded this thread back to the stone age (2 days ago).[/QUOTE]

That was the steam deals thread, actually. Since most of the discussion of all steam deals (of which this treasure hunt is included) has moved into the one thread, I thought we were just gonna let this thread die.

bread's done
Back