Steam Weekend Deal (06-03): Supreme Commander 2 50% off

Volcynika

CAGiversary!
SC2_spotlight_storev5.jpg

For those interested: $21.99 -> $10.99 (odd price)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/40100/

Its a decent game - I picked it up @ release (only played a few hours though...) - I still think SupCom 1 and expansion are more "in-depth".

This dropped like a rock. Makes me sad I picked it up from Gamestop for $20 back during a one day sale.

[quote name='jer7583']any games for windows live achievements?[/QUOTE]

No.
This game requires Steam and has Steam Achievements, though...

[quote name='jer7583']any games for windows live achievements?[/QUOTE]
No but there are 47 Steam Achievements.

Anyone with a passing interest in RTS games should at least take a look. It's been updated quite a bit but it mainly needs more maps (no SDK). SupCom FA is still my favorite of the series, but for $10.99 it's a good buy.

[quote name='Showstoppa42']As an alternative deal, for those who like to have the physical disc and who might have some credit at one of these stores...

Both Amazon and Gamestop are selling Supreme Commander 2 for $21.99 with a $10 future credit. The game can be registered on (and requires) Steam.

http://www.amazon.com/Supreme-Commander-2-Pc/dp/B002BXN6GY

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?sku=647612&affid=9797[/QUOTE]

The physical disc is worthless since the game ties itself into your Steam account. I remember reading reports that the game doesn't even install from the disc, that once it ties itself into Steam it downloads and installs from Steam similar to if you put it from them.

$10.99 straight up is probably the best deal due to Steamworks.

[quote name='animalspinners']The physical disc is worthless since the game ties itself into your Steam account. I remember reading reports that the game doesn't even install from the disc, that once it ties itself into Steam it downloads and installs from Steam similar to if you put it from them.

$10.99 straight up is probably the best deal due to Steamworks.[/QUOTE]

there is a good way and a bad way to install it from the disc, and you probably only know the bad way. I don't remember, but in the forums someone outlined what you had to do.

I installed it from the disc and saved myself an hour or so downloading.

But be warned, there is a lot of post patching, would take about a night's worth...

On the fence about this since its $20 at Gamestop, but still $50 at Target, Walmart and Best Buy.

i picked it up and still pop it in on the xbox as a palate cleaner between games...story is worthless really, but still a fun game and at that price you cant beat it

[quote name='GlassAgate']Was the game a dud, was there poor marketing off it, or was it just a bad time to release it?[/QUOTE]

No map editor, fans of SC 1 for the most part hated it, it didn't really catch on (i.e no one really bought it) with other people which was the point of the changes in the first place, and it really wasn't worth $50 at release imo. Not to mention the shadow of Starcraft 2 is a big shadow indeed.

But the main point I heard and heard often was that they nerfed what made SC 1 unique into just another RTS... I think the developers wanted to make the game not so complicated for new fans to the franchise.

Definitely not a dud though, and well worth the $11. I'll probably pick it up tomorrow, the demo was enjoyable enough.

[quote name='GlassAgate']Was the game a dud, was there poor marketing off it, or was it just a bad time to release it?[/QUOTE]

Poor marketing and bad timing would be my guess.

Even at this price it looks too weird for me to get it. I dont really like what Ive seen of the gameplay videos and no reviews really give it a good score. I mean users even rate it down. Hell no. I stop trusting site reviews like IGNs when users at other sites rate it lower.

I actually really want Dawn of Discovery...

In general, it just wasn't recieved well. After playing the first quite a bit and enjoying it, and then playing the demo for 2 and hearing everything I have from the people I know that bought it, it just seems generic and lackluster.

The first Supreme Commander was great because it had an in-depth economic system and massive battles. The second basically strips out all of the economic elements from the first, replacing it with the more generic resource management of almost every other RTS game, and drastically scales back the conflicts with unit caps and weakening the super (or rather no longer super) units, instead giving you a research tree to upgrade units with and smaller maps that will have you fighting in much closer quarters. In a way, it just doesn't feel like the same type of game as the original Supreme Commander even though the setting is the same, it's almost like going from Dawn of War 1 to Dawn of War 2 in terms of gameplay.

The second game doesn't seem BAD, per say, but it definitely isn't the best example of the genre by far and no longer features anything to make it stand out from the plethora of other (and many better) RTS games out there.

wow...personally I didn't think it was too bad, especially at this price. That said I did not play the original SC. My last experience with this company was with TA:CC which was great for its time, but most people stuck with SC:BW so I ended up dropping TA.

Wow, been out for just over 3 months and already $11? Sure wish more games had this big of a discount 3 months after release!

I would totally pick this up if I didn't have a backlog of RTS games the diameter of Jupiter.

[quote name='Reaperain']Even at this price it looks too weird for me to get it. I dont really like what Ive seen of the gameplay videos and no reviews really give it a good score. I mean users even rate it down. Hell no. I stop trusting site reviews like IGNs when users at other sites rate it lower.

I actually really want Dawn of Discovery...[/QUOTE]

Me too. When it goes on sale for

[quote name='animalspinners']No map editor, fans of SC 1 for the most part hated it, it didn't really catch on (i.e no one really bought it) with other people which was the point of the changes in the first place, and it really wasn't worth $50 at release imo. Not to mention the shadow of Starcraft 2 is a big shadow indeed.

But the main point I heard and heard often was that they nerfed what made SC 1 unique into just another RTS... I think the developers wanted to make the game not so complicated for new fans to the franchise.

Definitely not a dud though, and well worth the $11. I'll probably pick it up tomorrow, the demo was enjoyable enough.[/QUOTE]

thanks. this alone is enough for me not to bite. i think ill just rebuy SC1 since i cant find my copy anymore.

I actually found the first game to be a bit overly complex for my liking and was wishing the game would be slightly more "dumbed-down."

A more simplified SupCom is exactly what I'm looking for.

[quote name='Wildcat1080']Tempting. I'll probably mull it over all weekend and cave in on Sunday night like I always do. Steam is amazing (at taking money).[/QUOTE]

Same situation here, but hey, got to give credit where credit is due: YOU! You know that it's your lack of self control and OCD that you have the obsession to get any cheap game that goes on sales, even with the huge backlog you'll never find time to even get through a quarter of those games.

/self reflection :(

I just got Dawn of War 2, so I don't need any more RTS games for a while. THey should have spaced them out more.

bread's done
Back