Steam Weekend Deal (09/30) - MtG: Duels of the Planeswalkers - Complete Pack 50% off

Volcynika

CAGiversary!
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/6290/

$17.49 for the entire pack.

Also all the little individual packs are 50% off as well.

As posted as well, the DLC cards are normally obtainable by playing the game, so you can get the original game ($4.99) + two expansions ($2.49 each) for $10 and save about $7.50.

65bea68ce41a5b640e6484082dbe38a5ecf93d43_full.jpg

Join the CAG Magic: the Gathering DotP Steam group!

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol the complete pack is just a bunch of stupid unlocks that can be obtained normally through gameplay and some cosmetic changes making every card in X deck shiny. I recommend that anyone who wants the game to just buy the core title and the expansion packs for $10 total instead.

[quote name='Psybuster']Lol the complete pack is just a bunch of stupid unlocks that can be obtained normally through gameplay and some cosmetic changes making every card in X deck shiny. I recommend that anyone who wants the game to just buy the core title and the expansion packs for $10 total instead.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info, I put that in the OP.

Nice. I pre-ordered the game (and thus got the first expansion for free), but I'll definitely pick up the second expansion for $2.49.

I'll be getting the 2nd XP as well. If you want to read some bitching, check the Steam forum. There's a lot of issues with the game. I haven't run into most of them or they don't really bother me too much.

Loved this game on XBLA, I was planning on double dipping at some point. Not sure if this is a sweet enough deal or just wait for a better sale during the thanksgiving/xmas sales. Mainly just want to have a copy of this on my laptop for when I travel.

Thanks! I had been waiting for a sale on this! In for the base game and 2 Xpacks! It is tempting to wait for the Christmas sale...but I doubt it would get much lower.

I'm in for this. I already own this for the 360 and love it, but I can't play with some of my friends on the 360 so I have been waiting for this to go on sale like this.

Even though I've put a grand total of 13 minutes into this since I bought the preorder pack, I'll still pick up the second expansion pack. Damn completist in me.

[quote name='dudejeff22']Magic The Gathering still exists?

Why?[/QUOTE]

I'd say right now it's bigger than it's ever been. I just went back to playing the new release sets and it really is amazing how much of a well-thought out and well put-together game M:tG really is. A lot of the mechanics like Kicking and Landfall add some interesting strategic elements to the game.

[quote name='MSI Magus']There is no online play with other people right?[/QUOTE]

Of course there is. It's integrated with Steam Friends, as well.

[quote name='Mike UFC']Even though I've put a grand total of 13 minutes into this since I bought the preorder pack, I'll still pick up the second expansion pack. Damn completist in me.[/QUOTE]

Why? Why bother if you're not going to play it?

What a crappy weekend deal.

[quote name='shingletingle']What a crappy weekend deal.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Who has time for crap like this with everything else that is available? I'm still swamped with real games that I need to play... and I play a lot.

I picked up the second expansion, got the first one back when I pre-ordered.
I don't really play this one much anymore since I'm on MTGO nowadays, but it's still fun every once in awhile

Seems like as good a price as any to get in on this. I used to play magic way back in the day when the cards first came out. I still have a bunch of alpha and beta cards laying around even though they were long since "banned" from official play in tournaments and such.

Be interesting to see what all has changed in the rules.

I downloaded the demo. That's as far as it's going. The first enemy just chips away at me with a flying POS and there is jack I can do about it. Now I remember why I quit this shit in the first place. Thanks for the info anyhow OP. MIGHT try it again later.

If you're having trouble with the demo, a few suggestions:

-Are you able to turn the difficulty down? If so, do it.
-Make sure you get a good starting hand with at least 3 Mana. If not, pause and choose to restart the battle.

Green deck (I assume that's what you play in the demo?) doesn't have much defense against flying enemies, but you can try to get stronger creatures and chip away at the opponent before he/she does you in.

[quote name='eastx']If you're having trouble with the demo, a few suggestions:

-Make sure you get a good starting hand with at least 3 Mana. If not, pause and choose to restart the battle.

Green deck (I assume that's what you play in the demo?) doesn't have much defense against flying enemies, but you can try to get stronger creatures and chip away at the opponent before he/she does you in.[/QUOTE]

I'll take a breather and try again. . . and again. . .

[quote name='basilofbkrst']I downloaded the demo. That's as far as it's going. The first enemy just chips away at me with a flying POS and there is jack I can do about it. Now I remember why I quit this shit in the first place. Thanks for the info anyhow OP. MIGHT try it again later.[/QUOTE]

lol that's one of the many aspects that makes the game interesting 0_o

although honestly i recommend everyone in this thread to try and find the really old MTG game that came out like 10 years ago. there's free roam exploration, rpg elements, and full deck building freedom. I even prefer its graphics over Planeswalker's exaggerated bullshit.

If you do decide to buy the game, best suggestion I can give is turn the music down, way, way down. :lol:

I will be grabbing the 2nd expansion.

The fact they never patched in online co-op still baffles me. I'll never get the 2-headed giant achievement unless I want to control both players myself.

[quote name='Psybuster']Lol the complete pack is just a bunch of stupid unlocks that can be obtained normally through gameplay and some cosmetic changes making every card in X deck shiny. I recommend that anyone who wants the game to just buy the core title and the expansion packs for $10 total instead.[/QUOTE]

If only I had seen this before buying the pack without really knowing what I was getting. I picked it up on total impulse.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Go to a local shop and do a booster draft with that money. Much more entertaining =D[/QUOTE]

After spending a good amount of time with the game (blazed through the first 12 duels of the campaign), I completely agree. The decks play like draft decks only worse since you're not even allowed to build it yourself. I picked this up because I remembered reading general praise for it and I used to be a huge fan of Magic, following the tournament scene and everything. Sadly, it seems this game is not meant for anyone who takes MTG anywhere near that seriously. The fact that the hand holding is hard coded into the game, not allowing you to build a decent deck from scratch, forcing you to choose one of their many decks that have hints of quality, but are ultimately littered with trash that you cannot remove, but only pile on top of, ruins the game for me. Very disappointing.

[quote name='eastx']If you're having trouble with the demo, a few suggestions:

Green deck (I assume that's what you play in the demo?) doesn't have much defense against flying enemies, but you can try to get stronger creatures and chip away at the opponent before he/she does you in.[/QUOTE]

My wife and I play a lot of MtG together IRL and we never play by base hand size rules just because we find it is too easy to get mana screwed. We usually play that you draw 7 or 8 cards and if you do not have at least 2 lands your allowed to shuffle again. It honestly makes the game 10x more fun because it becomes less a game about who is lucky enough to draw the proper amounts of mana and more a game about skill and strategy(well with luck involved in the draw too, but to a lesser degree).

If you do decide to buy the game, best suggestion I can give is turn the music down, way, way down.

I will be grabbing the 2nd expansion.

I do not think I would ever play this game with just the music going. I bought this to play while listening to podcasts or for when my wife wants to watch TV/movies(the PC is next to the TV so I could watch what she watches and spend time with her while having a game to play!).

[quote name='panzerfaust']

although honestly i recommend everyone in this thread to try and find the really old MTG game that came out like 10 years ago. there's free roam exploration, rpg elements, and full deck building freedom. I even prefer its graphics over Planeswalker's exaggerated bullshit.[/QUOTE]

That game is made by MicroProse and it is indeed fucking awesome. it came out more like 15 years ago though i believe. It even had 2 expansions. These games are probably the only official MTG games worth playing, worth every penny on ebay, if you track down boxed copies, they came with oversized cards too.

i loved MTG like 10 years ago, i quit around the time Mercadian masks came out... i felt the game turned into too much of a cash grab and it was very difficult and expensive to keep up with the new set every 3 months, especially for a high schooler. also i didnt like the direction of the set's themes (i like my medieval fantasy, thank you very much).

if they ever release that old microprose game on gog or steam, im buying it day 1 however

[quote name='postulio']i felt the game turned into too much of a cash grab and it was very difficult and expensive to keep up with the new set every 3 months, especially for a high schooler.[/QUOTE]
It's turned into even more of a cash grab recently. As of a few years ago they now release an additional set each year, introduced a "mythic" rarity level, started releasing premium decks for $35, and are now selling packs of 15 foil cards for $15 per pack. The worst is the mythic rares, to be competitive you need to buy 4 copies of specific ones and those can cost $50+ each.

[quote name='Thrinn']It's turned into even more of a cash grab recently. As of a few years ago they now release an additional set each year, introduced a "mythic" rarity level, started releasing premium decks for $35, and are now selling packs of 15 foil cards for $15 per pack. The worst is the mythic rares, to be competitive you need to buy 4 copies of specific ones and those can cost $50+ each.[/QUOTE]

OUCH!

well im glad i dont play. I am content with the years that i did, i have very fond memories of it. i still have my cards, would love to play with someone but no one i know plays and i refuse to spend money on it.

[quote name='postulio']OUCH!

well im glad i dont play. I am content with the years that i did, i have very fond memories of it. i still have my cards, would love to play with someone but no one i know plays and i refuse to spend money on it.[/QUOTE]

IMO that's what makes the Planeswalkers game great; a small initial cost and you can play as much as you want without worrying about being "competitive". It actually got me into buying cards again, for about a week. Then I realized that was a huge sink.

[quote name='radioactivez0r']IMO that's what makes the Planeswalkers game great; a small initial cost and you can play as much as you want without worrying about being "competitive".[/QUOTE]Yeah, that seems to be the primary appeal of this particular game. It does a really good job of hitting that mark.

I like Magic casually, and I have absolutely no interest in competitive play. That's why Planewalkers is just about perfect for me.

So there is no customization at all to the decks ? You only use pre-built ones ? .. that takes away alot of the strategy to the game. Might hold off on this one then.

[quote name='AdvOfJet']So there is no customization at all to the decks ? You only use pre-built ones ? .. that takes away alot of the strategy to the game. Might hold off on this one then.[/QUOTE]

Well as you win you do unlock something like 20-40 more cards for each deck that gives you SOME customization, but at the same time yes the decks are limited. If you want to play something with huge decks that you have to spend hours and hours making then that is what Magic the Gathering Online is for. This is more for giving you a handful of decks to play quick games with, kind of like going to a friends house and randomly deciding to play with one of his decks.

Holy crap! This is an amazing deal. I spent hours playing MTG and it's worth every penny at FULL price for the casual player. I own this on Xbox and Steam - well worth it.

I have this game for 360 and highly recommend it. What's nice about it is that you can slightly customize your deck with unlocks, and the fact that if you ever play online, everyone is limited to the same cards. It makes it more about deck building and strategy than who can afford the best decks.

just picked it up after playing the demo. i'm trying to decide now if i should pick up the expansions or not... anyone have any input?

[quote name='houdinilogic']just picked it up after playing the demo. i'm trying to decide now if i should pick up the expansions or not... anyone have any input?[/QUOTE]

i see the game as a really friendly way to learn to play the game, and in that sense it's a great purchase.

i wouldn't see the point in going farther with it though, when you could buy enough real cards with the same amount of money and enjoy making your own decks/strategies, which is half the satisfaction the game itself offers, which is not available in the computer game

if you don't have a friend to play casually with irl, and you enjoy just playing with pre-made decks -- then i guess go for it.

After picking up and playing the base game for a few hours I definitely see the value in the expansions, so I picked those up too. I like playing it solo, and having more cards and a longer campaign will make the game go further for me.

bread's done
Back