Steam weekend deal: 50% off Dawn of War II

there's also a listing for the Company of Heroes complete pack for $20 but the link doesn't work yet

edit: the super pack sadly doesn't include either Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor or Warhammer 40k Dawn of War Soulstorm

well 25 is still a bit much for Dawn of War, I mean it's probably worth it, but I know I could grab it cheaper than 25 sometime in the future.

I might bite but, can I get any recommendations/opinions from fellow CAGs on this game?

I'm not really into Multi-Player in most of my games, so single player is very important to me.

I'm tempted on buying Heroes of Valor, Dawn of War Gold, and Dark Crusade.

I already own the other 2 Company of Heroes, Dawn of War 2, and Dawn of War Soul Storm.

I'm guessing Dawn of War games aren't cross-expansion compatible right? (ie. Soul Storm players can't play with people who don't own Soul Storm)

@Xiemos, single player on this game is amazing in my opinion, very interesting story line and well done maps. However make sure you play through the side missions as well, the extra gear and experience is very helpful.

[quote name='buckythekat']edit: the super pack sadly doesn't include either Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor or Warhammer 40k Dawn of War Soulstorm[/QUOTE]
Which is a shame. I'd actually cough up $25 to get all of CoH and DoW1 on Steam, but $55? Screw it.

And for anyone looking for DoW2, I'd recommend grabbing it here instead. $19 and you register the key via Steam anyway, and this store is legitimate. Not sure I'd recommend DoW2 itself, but hey. $6 cheaper.
http://www.onlinekeystore.com/Warhammer-Dawn-of-War-II-STEAM.html

[quote name='wynams']I was generally unimpressed by dow2.

DoW I and all its expansions were awesome![/QUOTE]
Same feeling with me. DoW2's not a particularly bad game, but it's nothing compared to DoW1 or hell, even CoH.

Hmm, bought Soulstorm when it was $7.50 on sale, so the Relic pack sounds pretty good since I'd be able to have all the games on Steam as well as the first 2 CoH games (right now I own DoW Gold and CoH, so I'd probably sell them off if I got them on Steam). But it would be nice if it included Tales of Valor or had an option for a pack that includes DoW2. Hmm, maybe I'll just wait until they have a bigger value pack for $50 or thereabouts.

The relic super pack for 25 is a awesome deal. Soulstorm and Tales of Valor are considered inferior to the games that came previous in the series. So missing out on them I don't think is that much of a loss.

[quote name='buckythekat']there's also a listing for the Company of Heroes complete pack for $20 but the link doesn't work yet

edit: the super pack sadly doesn't include either Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor or Warhammer 40k Dawn of War Soulstorm[/QUOTE]

Where do you see company of heroes complete?

[quote name='msdmoney']Where do you see company of heroes complete?[/QUOTE]

originally when you viewed the Relic page it showed up but it looks like it's gone now

too bad :whistle2:(

I've heard positive things about the DoW2 single player. I played the multiplayer beta and it was alright, but the 1v1 multiplayer was pretty bad, and the service was really unstable with 3v3s, and even if that's fixed, I'm not sure if it's a good game. I did kind of enjoy playing it with my friends, but the UI was annoying in a couple regards, and it's a bad sign when you have to look at the symbols above the units to tell what type of squad it is. You'd think they'd be able to design the squads to be distinctive enough visually that you don't have to resort to looking at the floating symbol. Bad art design.

I appreciated the attempt at 3v3 play, since I've been digging co-op games recently. I also enjoyed CoH and DoW1 a lot, and played a lot of multiplayer with those games (despite the fact that DoW1 multiplayer was intensely punishing for tiny mistakes, arbitrary when it came to squad with hero vrs. squad with hero fights, and had almost no concept of defensive play.)

Wow, I am a video game expert, I predicted this correctly based on the direct to drive sale. Please ignore the other 15 predictions I've made that have been incorrect.

I'm having a weird issue. My paypal account has $15.01 in it and I try to purchase the company of heroes pack which is $14.99 but it says I don't have enough in my account. Is it because the regular price is $29.99 and it doesn't calculate the sale until the very end? This is so frustrating.

I don't know why there's no love for DoWII. I thought it was fantastic in both single and multiplayer. Just the thing to hold you over until Starcraft II. I bopught it for $35 and thought it was well worth it.

Some great deals for RTS fans there. I already have all of the games on sale except for CoH: Tales of Valor, which I will be buying when I get home.

[quote name='xycury']well 25 is still a bit much for Dawn of War, I mean it's probably worth it, but I know I could grab it cheaper than 25 sometime in the future.[/QUOTE]

Heck, with logic like this, nothing would ever get purchased by CAG's, especially PC games.

[quote name='SqueeMK2']Same feeling with me. DoW2's not a particularly bad game, but it's nothing compared to DoW1 or hell, even CoH.[/QUOTE]

So should I pick up DoW1 then?

I'd only be buying the game for the single player campaign.

[quote name='Xiemos']I might bite but, can I get any recommendations/opinions from fellow CAGs on this game?

I'm not really into Multi-Player in most of my games, so single player is very important to me.[/QUOTE]

I'm not a multiplayer RTS player either, and I enjoyed the heck of out this game. It's got that RPG mechanic for tweaking your squads that's very addicting and most of the missions are fairly quick to run so it's kind of a pick up and play type game for nice 30 minute missions.

Story is not the greatest, but that's not the reason I bought this anyway.

Great buy at this price.

Kind of tricky question. DoW1 has an enjoyable single player campaign, but it's very simple. It's in the "AI occasionally gets units and sends them at you but doesn't actually think for itself" camp. The game has pretty decent AI for skirmish mode, but the campaign doesn't use it. Except in the case of Dark Crusade's campaign, which is a world map that plays more along the lines of skirmishes.

DoW2 has a slightly better campaign, however it's less of an RTS. No base building whatsoever in the campaign mode, and you only control a maximum of 4 squads, who can level up and pick up loot and fight boss battles. It's more like a Warhammer 40,000 Diablo. DoW2 also doesn't have as enjoyable skirmish AI to play against, and a hell of a lot fewer maps, races, and units.

As much as I prefer DoW1, it mostly depends on if the RPG-lite campaign of DoW2 sounds better to you or not, or if you'll play singleplayer skirmishes against the AI. Also depends how much stock you put in graphics, because DoW2 is much prettier. DoW1 certainly isn't bad, but it doesn't have much eyecandy nowadays. Also worth noting that DoW1 is a much larger game, especially with expansions. The number of units a single player can field is much higher than DoW2, and squads can reinforce anywhere on the map. It tends to have much, much larger battles than DoW2, and supports 4v4 multiplayer/skirmish whereas DoW2 goes to 3v3. Overall I'd recommend DoW1 over DoW2.

If you do go for DoW1, I'd recommend the platinum pack and ignore Soulstorm. Soulstorm would be nice to have for the sake of having all of them, but it's by far the weakest of the DoW1 expansions and has quite a few bugs.

[quote name='SqueeMK2']Kind of tricky question. DoW1 has an enjoyable single player campaign, but it's very simple. It's in the "AI occasionally gets units and sends them at you but doesn't actually think for itself" camp. The game has pretty decent AI for skirmish mode, but the campaign doesn't use it. Except in the case of Dark Crusade's campaign, which is a world map that plays more along the lines of skirmishes.

DoW2 has a slightly better campaign, however it's less of an RTS. No base building whatsoever in the campaign mode, and you only control a maximum of 4 squads, who can level up and pick up loot and fight boss battles. It's more like a Warhammer 40,000 Diablo. DoW2 also doesn't have as enjoyable skirmish AI to play against, and a hell of a lot fewer maps, races, and units.

As much as I prefer DoW1, it mostly depends on if the RPG-lite campaign of DoW2 sounds better to you or not, or if you'll play singleplayer skirmishes against the AI. Also depends how much stock you put in graphics, because DoW2 is much prettier. DoW1 certainly isn't bad, but it doesn't have much eyecandy nowadays. Also worth noting that DoW1 is a much larger game, especially with expansions. The number of units a single player can field is much higher than DoW2, and squads can reinforce anywhere on the map. It tends to have much, much larger battles than DoW2, and supports 4v4 multiplayer/skirmish whereas DoW2 goes to 3v3. Overall I'd recommend DoW1 over DoW2.

If you do go for DoW1, I'd recommend the platinum pack and ignore Soulstorm. Soulstorm would be nice to have for the sake of having all of them, but it's by far the weakest of the DoW1 expansions and has quite a few bugs.[/QUOTE]

Thanks man for the detailed answer. I think I'm going to pick up DoW1 for now and if I enjoy it I'll pick up DoW2 down the road sometime.

[quote name='SqueeMK2']Which is a shame. I'd actually cough up $25 to get all of CoH and DoW1 on Steam, but $55? Screw it.

And for anyone looking for DoW2, I'd recommend grabbing it here instead. $19 and you register the key via Steam anyway, and this store is legitimate. Not sure I'd recommend DoW2 itself, but hey. $6 cheaper.
onlinekeystore.com/Warhammer-Dawn-of-War-II-STEAM.html[/QUOTE]

Anybody else have experience with this? I'm a bit wary to be honest, I mean where do these keys really come from? Just never seen a website like this so I'm suspicious.

Apparently since I'm a new user I'm not allowed to post links, including quotes from other users. How retarded. So copy and paste the URL in the quote if needed.

edit: Pretty sure I'm getting CoH and the first expansion, just on the fence with the DoW games. I already played the original DoW back when it first came out and enjoyed it a lot, just not sure how eager I am to play it again although the expansions give some incentive. DoW2 looks very cool so I might get that instead although of course it is more expensive. On the other hand the relic pack with CoH and DoW is a good deal. Decisions, decisions...

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='TestType']Anybody else have experience with this? I'm a bit wary to be honest, I mean where do these keys really come from? Just never seen a website like this so I'm suspicious.

Apparently since I'm a new user I'm not allowed to post links, including quotes from other users. How retarded. So copy and paste the URL in the quote if needed.

edit: Pretty sure I'm getting CoH and the first expansion, just on the fence with the DoW games. I already played the original DoW back when it first came out and enjoyed it a lot, just not sure how eager I am to play it again although the expansions give some incentive. DoW2 looks very cool so I might get that instead although of course it is more expensive. On the other hand the relic pack with CoH and DoW is a good deal. Decisions, decisions...[/QUOTE]
Supposedly they get their keys from much, much cheaper retail copies in other countries like Russia, China, India, etc. Or buy keys directly from the publisher. For instance, I bought DoW2 from a key seller, and the only difference between mine and a US retail copy is it was called "Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II (RU)" when I registered it on Steam.

Plus since you're paying via Paypal, I think they don't get your credit/debit card number. Since I'm not terribly big on Paypal I can't say with certainty though.

[quote name='SqueeMK2']Supposedly they get their keys from much, much cheaper retail copies in other countries like Russia, China, India, etc. Or buy keys directly from the publisher. For instance, I bought DoW2 from a key seller, and the only difference between mine and a US retail copy is it was called "Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II (RU)" when I registered it on Steam.

Plus since you're paying via Paypal, I think they don't get your credit/debit card number. Since I'm not terribly big on Paypal I can't say with certainty though.[/QUOTE]

Alright, thanks. I'm not too worried about my credit card, more worried about losing my Steam account because of some dodgy CD keys or something. But I guess it simply wouldn't work if key wasn't legit.

I think I'll spring for CoH for now, maybe DoW2 later before the sale is out. Not getting DoW1 as I doubt I'd play it much.

[quote name='SqueeMK2']Supposedly they get their keys from much, much cheaper retail copies in other countries like Russia, China, India, etc. Or buy keys directly from the publisher. For instance, I bought DoW2 from a key seller, and the only difference between mine and a US retail copy is it was called "Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II (RU)" when I registered it on Steam.
[/QUOTE]

I recall reading a story about copies of Team Fortress 2 getting banned because users were using cheaper foreign versions in the U.S. That was several years ago, so maybe Valve's policies have changed. It probably won't happen to you, especially since DoW2 doesn't have nearly as much clout as TF2, but just FYI.

bread's done
Back