Steam Weekend Deal: All id Games 50%

Kurina

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
http://www.steampowered.com/v/index.php?area=sub&SubId=440

Quite a few games listed. You can buy every game listed for $34.99, or others incredibly cheap. Doom 3 only $10, and a few other older classics that people may enjoy.

This weekend only, id Software games are 50% off. This includes the id Super Pack for only $34.99 (over $200 worth of games). Or take 50% off individual titles such as Doom, Quake, Wolfenstein, Commander Keen, Heretic, and Hexen. Offer ends Monday, September 8.
---
Everything: $34.99

Individual Games
Commander Keen - $2.49
Doom 3 $9.99
Doom 3 Resurrection of Evil - $9.99
Doom II - $4.99
Final Doom - $4.99
HeXen - $2.49
HeXen II - $2.49
HeXen: Deathkings of the Dark Citadel - $2.49
heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders - $2.49
Master Levels for Doom II - $4.99
Quake - $4.99
Quake II - $4.99
Quake II Mission Pack: Ground Zero - $2.49
Quake II Mission Pack: The Reckoning - $2.49
Quake III: Team Arena - $9.99
Quake Mission Pack 1: Scourge of Armagon - $2.49
Quake Mission Pack 2: Dissolution of Eternity - $2.49
Quake III Arena - $9.99
Return to Castle Wolfenstein - $9.99
Spear of Destiny - $2.49
Ultimate Doom - $4.99
Wolfenstein 3D - $2.49

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Megalith']These 2D/3D graphics in Hexen and Heretic are a blast.

BTW, is anyone even able to get custom resolutions working for GLQuake?[/quote]
I haven't gotten anything outside of the default to run...:bomb:

[quote name='marcand']I love Quake1 and I am sad that they went away from the who Gothic theme for the futuristic robot stuff. I must have played through each level a dozen times in my day. Too bad GLQUAKE isn't included. I would be shocked if it was.[/QUOTE]

There's nothing gothic about being able to find the Super Nailgun, Grenade Launcher, Rocket Launcher, and Thunderbolt in there.

NOTHING.

[quote name='cwalker3']I haven't gotten anything outside of the default to run...:bomb:[/QUOTE]

Everytime I try to change the resolution, the game crashes on me. The only thing that works is running it in 32 bit color =/

[quote name='PikaPichu']I'm planning on buying the super pack and had a question. Will Quake 3 be useless once id launches Quake Live?[/QUOTE]

No. Mod support in QuakeLive is still up in the air, so it doesn't make Q3 redundant at all.

[quote name='PikaPichu']Everytime I try to change the resolution, the game crashes on me. The only thing that works is running it in 32 bit color =/[/quote]
Yep, me too.

[quote name='Nohbdy']There's nothing gothic about being able to find the Super Nailgun, Grenade Launcher, Rocket Launcher, and Thunderbolt in there.

NOTHING.[/quote]

O SNAP!

Geez. Sorry. My point was that Quake 1 had cool monsters and awesome castle levels with traps and crap where Quake 2 had ROBOTS AND ROBOT MONSTERS (yawn).

If you're having trouble with Quake configs...

I'm planning on taking the WAD files and plugging them into a source-port anyway. Might as well play it looking as best as it can.

The only game I've played out of all of those is DooM3, and I didn't like it that much. Should I get any of these?

This pack is just plain awesome. A lot of it is due to nostalgia. I spent most of the day fragging away at Q3:A. For some reason, I never bought a copy for myself and only got to play it on a friend's computer.

Totally worth the $35 for me.

Can i buy those now and install them later?
I am currently using a Mac and will have my Windows PC up and running next month.

[quote name='Megalith']Hope I can run these on my 8800GT.

Speaking of Steam, WTF is the image on the home page always blank?[/quote]
I've always wondered the same thing as well....

[quote name='Marat']Can i buy those now and install them later?
I am currently using a Mac and will have my Windows PC up and running next month.[/quote]

yep. create a steam account, purchase, and its permanently tied to the account. You can DL/Play anytime/anywhere.

[quote name='Tee_Ken']I've always wondered the same thing as well....[/quote]

what blank homepage image? sounds like flash player isnt working for you.

[quote name='Marat']Can i buy those now and install them later?
I am currently using a Mac and will have my Windows PC up and running next month.[/quote]

Not only that - if you're so inclined, you can find the Mac OS X binaries online (or updated engines like ioquake3) and play them now, just copying over the files.

[quote name='Doomed']The only game I've played out of all of those is DooM3, and I didn't like it that much. Should I get any of these?[/quote]

Doom 3 is kind of known for not being very good due to extremely formulaic design, over and over again. The previous installments are much more fun, graphics aside. As you probably know, id is known for its fast-paced mindless shooters. For Doom 3 they slowed it down significantly and tried to add some stupid story through PDA audio recordings.

Despite a lot of the hate it gets for not being the standard id FSP, Doom 3 was a critical and commercial smash. It's id's best selling game to date, and it also got 8's and 9's across the board.

Don't get me wrong...I was highly disappointed by it not being the standard Doom affair. Still, after you get past that, Doom 3 is a very good game, bordering on great.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Despite a lot of the hate it gets for not being the standard id FSP, Doom 3 was a critical and commercial smash. It's id's best selling game to date, and it also got 8's and 9's across the board.

Don't get me wrong...I was highly disappointed by it not being the standard Doom affair. Still, after you get past that, Doom 3 is a very good game, bordering on great.[/quote]

Agreed! I hope that Doom4 will be back to the frenzy that Doom I and Doom II was. Having said that, I enjoyed Doom3 a lot.

I got the $34.99 deal this weekend and I am glad that I did.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Despite a lot of the hate it gets for not being the standard id FSP, Doom 3 was a critical and commercial smash. It's id's best selling game to date, and it also got 8's and 9's across the board.

Don't get me wrong...I was highly disappointed by it not being the standard Doom affair. Still, after you get past that, Doom 3 is a very good game, bordering on great.[/quote]

most reviews centered largely around the graphics rather than the gameplay mechanics or story, thats what i didnt like.

Doom 3 was indeed great - even the story was very good IMO. Quite a creepy game. But yeah, part 4 should be more run and gun.

I remember reading that the guys working on Doom 4 are making it more run and gun, moving away from the more survival horror/cheap scares of doom 3 to what it should be-You, the badass marine against everyone else.

What I wonder is if they are going to bring hell back to earth again?

i've been meaning to jump on this deal, but have read many posts about problems with the doom and quake games. something regarding dosbox and compatibility and engine and lots of other things. can anybody shed some light on this?

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']i've been meaning to jump on this deal, but have read many posts about problems with the doom and quake games. something regarding dosbox and compatibility and engine and lots of other things. can anybody shed some light on this?[/quote]

I'll be running everything through source ports anyway. Problem solved, and they'll look more modern.

I hate people who complain. $35 for $220 worth of games (is that after the 50% too) with most of them being classics? This may be the greatest (legal and glitch free) gaming deal ever. I'm just glad I caught this before the weekend ended.

Thanks to the people who aren't haters.

source ports? do you need to download some extra programs and edit the files in the steam folder or is this changeable in steam? i could foresee it getting really confusing if each game needs a different source port. am i even getting this right? or do i look like a big moron right now?

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']am i even getting this right? or do i look like a big moron right now?[/QUOTE]

You don't look like anything 'cause you have no avatar! Come on dude, you should get one.
I don't think you sounded bad either, though you should capitalize words where appropriate. :p

Yeah, I'd like to know more about that source stuff too.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Lord Omega Yagami']$35 for $220 worth of games.[/QUOTE]

Well, I would actually say that I don't really think that Q3, Q3 Team Arena, RTCW, Doom 3, and Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil are "worth" $20 a piece, or that Quake, Quake II, Doom, and Doom II are "worth" $10 a piece. Still, it is a good deal.

Summary of source ports:people have recreated the engines for the games such as Duke Nukem 3D and quake, and revamped them to be higher resolution or stuff like that. The thing is, it's illegal to distribute the original game with those recreations. Therefore, you buy the games through steam, so you get the original files. Take those files, use them with the recreations, and you have an upgraded port of the original game. Note that not all games have such ports, but this is a summary.

Bought Commander Keen, had no use for the other games. Doom 3 had me tempted, but it gave me a headache with it's dark graphics.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Well, I would actually say that I don't really think that Q3, Q3 Team Arena, RTCW, Doom 3, and Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil are "worth" $20 a piece, or that Quake, Quake II, Doom, and Doom II are "worth" $10 a piece. Still, it is a good deal.[/quote]

I agree with the first part, but the second? Damn, that's cold. I mean, maybe the-most-mindless-of-mindless-shooters aren't your thing, but if that's the case, why even be having this discussion?

[quote name='Sporadic']Jesus, this is the third weekend deal in a row that I felt like I "had" to buy.

Those bastards at Value sure do love taking all of my money :)[/quote]

I know these deals were so good my credit card came out of my pocket instantly:

id Super Pack: $34.99
Bioshock: $14.99
AudioSurf: $4.99

I can't wait for Friday!

bread's done
Back