Steam Weekend Deal - DiRT 2 - 50% Off

cheapo72

CAGiversary!
Feedback
180 (100%)
dirt2_spotlight.jpg

Through the weekend, Colin McRae DiRT 2 is available for $19.99 (50% off).

Demo
Steam Demo
Metacritic (89)

[quote name='Shimrra']debating...what control pads are you guys using to play this?[/QUOTE]
360 controller works great for this and pretty much every other game it works with on pc.

I'm using an old Controller S. It works okay once you move the analog throttle and brake saturation to 90% or 100%. It defaulted at 25% leaving the other 75% full throttle or brake. Widen the saturation, and you can feather them more accurately.

I don't know if I'm going to get this. I only played the demo. On one hand, it's cheap, and it's a great showcase for when I get a DX11 graphics card. On the other hand, I'm not particularly interested in the game.

Despite the gaming rig I built, I hadn't really played PC games in the past year. The last couple months of Steam deals has really caught be back up in a hurry though. Great service.

Hows the online multiplayer in this? Fun at all or do you have to be amazing just to stand a chance with the regular online players?

[quote name='Chuplayer']I'm using an old Controller S. It works okay once you move the analog throttle and brake saturation to 90% or 100%. It defaulted at 25% leaving the other 75% full throttle or brake. Widen the saturation, and you can feather them more accurately.[/QUOTE]

I just had to QFT. The Morocco race goes from unplayable to awesome when you can actually work the throttle. I think I might spend the $$$ on this game after all.

I started to regret buying the Codemasters pack until I got around to this, plays awesome with 360 and DS3 controllers.

Wow, $20 is great. I'll have to bite. I might have gotten it without GFWL, but being online with all my 360 friends, achievements, and native controller support is just icing on the cake.

This game rules! So glad I got it. The only thing I don't like is that you have to use the keyboard to navigate through menus. You can't use your gamepad. I like to sit a bit further away from my screen than the distance at which I can reach the keyboard, so I'm always moving back and forth between races.

I use my Xbox 360 controller just fine to navigate through the menus, don't have to use my keyboard at all.

This game looked pretty good on the 360, but DAMN, it looks considerably better on the PC maxed out at 1920x1080.

[quote name='NickNorman']Wow, $20 is great. I'll have to bite. I might have gotten it without GFWL, but being online with all my 360 friends, achievements, and native controller support is just icing on the cake.[/QUOTE]

Does this game have all the GFWL features in it when you purchase it off of Steam? If so, I'll give this a shot rather than waiting for the 360 version to drop (it seems like it never does).

[quote name='Reck_Havoc']I use my Xbox 360 controller just fine to navigate through the menus, don't have to use my keyboard at all.

This game looked pretty good on the 360, but DAMN, it looks considerably better on the PC maxed out at 1920x1080.[/QUOTE]

Hm... I guess that's one of the luxuries of using a 360 controller. I'm not. It's ridiculous that you need to use a 360 controller to navigate through the menus.

[quote name='menikmati']Does this game have all the GFWL features in it when you purchase it off of Steam?[/QUOTE]

Yes. Just like Street Fighter 4.

[quote name='Chuplayer']Yes. Just like Street Fighter 4.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, looks like I'll purchase this later on today. Hopefully it doesn't choke up too bad on my system. Been a while since I got a graphics intensive PC game (last one I got was Battlefield 2), hopefully my 8800GT can pull it off.

[quote name='menikmati']Thanks, looks like I'll purchase this later on today. Hopefully it doesn't choke up too bad on my system. Been a while since I got a graphics intensive PC game (last one I got was Battlefield 2), hopefully my 8800GT can pull it off.[/QUOTE]

I have the 320MB version of the 8800GTS and it runs fine at 1920x1200. Strangely the menus can get a little choppy, but the races themselves have been smooth as silk.

[quote name='markyshizzle']i believe this has live achievements too[/QUOTE]

It does. I've unlocked a handful.

Picked it up, ordered an xbox 360 controller too, figured I might as well upgrade what I use on my PC since the xbox360 controller uses Xinput. Gawd knows I had trouble with Trine and a DirectInput controller, not going through again with Dirt 2.

[quote name='Spooon69']Picked it up, ordered an xbox 360 controller too, figured I might as well upgrade what I use on my PC since the xbox360 controller uses Xinput. Gawd knows I had trouble with Trine and a DirectInput controller, not going through again with Dirt 2.[/QUOTE]

The only problem I've found is that you can't navigate menus with a DirectInput controller.

I'd avoid using Xinput. It's an unnecessary protocol change that screws up the triggers on older software and probably will never be patched to fix that. No need to reinforce Micro$oft's poor decisions.

bread's done
Back