Steam Weekend Deal: Fallout 3 - $24.99 (50% off)

DukeEdwardI

CAGiversary!
Feedback
59 (100%)
This weekend's deal is Fallout 3 for $24.99 (50% off)

fallout-3-news-banner.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/22300/

This game is fantastic on the PC due to the copious amounts of mods available. www.fallout3nexus.com is the best place to get them.

However, I've heard very bad things about some game-breaking patches. I don't know much, perhaps some other folks might be able to share more about that.

Also, this game is Live enabled. So you can get achievements and stuff.

I picked up the pc version last year and put about 50 hours into it without any patches. I don't remember any huge bugs. Of course, if you get it from steam it's automatically going to be the most recent version. That's a great price.

[quote name='buckythekat']very tempting

but wouldn't it still be a better deal to just wait for the GOTY edition in October?[/QUOTE]

my thoughts exactly...

but wouldn't it still be a better deal to just wait for the GOTY edition in October?[/QUOTE]

Agreed, though having this on Steam would be very nice.

I second this notion. I have been anxious to play Fallout 3 for a long time now but this close to the release of GOTY, I can wait a little longer. If they had made this deal even 3 months ago I probably would have bitten, but at this point I'll hold out. Of course I'll probably also wait for the GOTY to drop under $30 as well so I probably won't be playing this for a while anyway, lol.

The GOTY version comes out in october? That's good to know, I was contemplating this, but I'll wait for that version since it will have all the DLC included.

If you buy this for $24.99 then buy all of the DLC, that's an extra $40. There's also ANOTHER DLC coming out (something to do with aliens?), so add an extra $10 in there. A grand total of $75 to play the COMPLETE version of Fallout 3.

Yeah, I'm waiting for the GOTY version. Cause you KNOW there will be a sale on it.

I loved the GOW 2 post yesterday about not buying a games saves the most money. I agree with this. However, you also have to look at a price in perspective. From my perspective I picked up the PC version back on Black Friday for $30. So over seven full months later is $25 a good deal? Yes it is because it is the best deal available at this time, but if you waited ths long you will do better in the near future IMO, such as the GOY edition.

On a side not I CANNOT believe the DLC packs were not included in this 50% off sale. I would have picked those up immediately. I can see it now. I'm going to have to purchase the entire Fallout 3 package (including the original game) to get a decent deal on the DLC. That isn't exactly a scenario that encourages early purchase of your game IMO.

The reason the DLC packs are not included in this sale, is because they are not sold on Steam. You have to download them via Games for Windows Live.

Not a bad price at all, but I have to agree with the other cheapasses in this thread - I'll wait for the inevitable GOTY edition with all five DLC packs included, even if that costs $50 it sounds like a better value.

As a note on the "game breaking patch", Fallout 3 is unstable, but works most of the time. The crashes I've had didn't affect my enjoyment that much(as a note, save a lot on the Wastelands because you don't have autosave there). The patch that you are likely referring to is 1.5, the second newest patch on steam. The way persistent worlds was handled was modified, which broke many mods. There is a fix to this, using FO3edit, that will make most of the older mods compatible again, so you don't have to worry much about the fact that the patch is in.

However, I agree with the sentiment of the others, although Fallout 3 at $25 is a phenomenal deal, the GOTY would be a better buy.

I just saw this on Steam, and I will bite since I most likely won't have access to Live in October due to being at college. So I can get the GOTY edition for Christmas or something. I probably won't have beat vanilla FO3 anyways by then.

Hold for GotY. Fallout 3 is a great game, and the DLC packs are greater... yeah, I went there.

Anyway, the game is unstable by nature. Even someone who thought Oblivion and Fallout 3 were the greatest games of this generation would have to consent that Bethesda is not an exceptionally talented group of programmers. Like one CAG said, quicksave often on the Wasteland. Not only are you most likely to die there, but dying/crashing there and relying on autosave can cost you 30 minutes of good exploration. I have no idea why they didn't include time-based autosave there.

Wait, I answered my own question just a few sentences ago. :p

The game was crashing on me a few times but I think it may be because I disabled my paging file a while ago. I re-added a fixed 2GB paging file of Windows, updated my video card drivers, and installed the newest patch found here: http://fallout.bethsoft.com/eng/downloads/updates.html

After rebooting I ran the game at a slightly lower resolution so not to push my system so hard and have had no crashes for an hour so far. ;)

[quote name='Capitalizt']The game was crashing on me a few times but I think it may be because I disabled my paging file a while ago. I re-added a fixed 2GB paging file of Windows, updated my video card drivers, and installed the newest patch found here: http://fallout.bethsoft.com/eng/downloads/updates.html

After rebooting I ran the game at a slightly lower resolution so not to push my system so hard and have had no crashes for an hour so far. ;)[/QUOTE]

The latest patch only adds achievements for Point Lookout, the most recent DLC.

Out of curiosity, how does DLC work for the Steam version of Fallout 3 since DLC is handled by the Games for Windows Marketplace?

[quote name='thepik241']Out of curiosity, how does DLC work for the Steam version of Fallout 3 since DLC is handled by the Games for Windows Marketplace?[/QUOTE]

It's the exact same as the retail version of Fallout 3. It still has GFWL integrated into it, and you still use the GFW Marketplace to buy the DLC.

Man, I was tempted to get this but I want the DLC so I guess I'll take everyone's advice and hold out for the GOTY edition to hit Steam. Hope Steam actually has a sale on it this year though.

So really buying this, plus one of the 4000 microsoft points cards for $30 deals (since DLC is thru GFWL)...only comes to be $55 for the game with all 5 DLCs. That way you don't have to wait until October for the GOTY edition...unless you just dont want to use GFWL I guess.

bread's done
Back