Steam Weekend Deal: Metro 2033 $24.99

animalspinners

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
http://store.steampowered.com/app/43110/

Metro 2033 is $24.99 this weekend as a "weekend special". Ends Monday at 10 am. It's a Steamworks game so it comes with Steam Achievements, but not 360 ones (since someone always asks).

I'd be interested but I think this will get far, far cheaper and the Bethesda deal is more bang for your buck by far. I enjoyed the game on 360, but this is also definitely a game that's not for everyone.

[quote name='Xealot42']I've been wanting to try this out but I'm not sure if I could play it very well until I build a new PC.[/QUOTE]

I would say unless you're going to play it ASAP, I'd hold off for a better deal.. I see this one being sub $20 in a few months after some official price drops and another sale.

It runs very poorly on my system which is a Core2Duo @ 3.7ghz, Win7x64, 8GB DDR2 2100 and a GTX470 - about 20fps at medium settings. All other games I've thrown at it run great maxed out @ 1680x1050, including all Stalker games, JC2, SC2 Beta, FO3, etc, etc. I'd say wait for Metro to be at least $10 and patched.

[quote name='Hudson187']It runs very poorly on my system which is a Core2Duo @ 3.7ghz, Win7x64, 8GB DDR2 2100 and a GTX470 - about 20fps at medium settings. All other games I've thrown at it run great maxed out @ 1680x1050, including all Stalker games, JC2, SC2 Beta, FO3, etc, etc. I'd say wait for Metro to be at least $10 and patched.[/QUOTE]

Well your system would run it fine if you weren't bottle necked at the CPU.

Yea, a GTX 470 does not go well with a core2duo.

I have an E5200 myself at 3 ghz, but it's paired with an HD4830. Which is the fastest card I'm putting into this rig.

I was very interested in playing this game, but I'll hold off for a better deal down the road. Plus, I'd doubt it'll play very well on my M11x.

It's an okay game. I bought an activation code from someone here. It is the biggest system hog this side of Crysis. I've got a monster rig and it only runs at 25 FPS on medium settings.

my 3ghz c2d with 4870 512mb at 1920x1200 runs the game at high settings on dx9, the fps never drops below 50, dx10 causes a huge drop though, but no significant graphic change.. as seems to be the case with almost every dx10 game

The game looks and runs great on 4870, so I think theres something wrong if a GTX470 cant run it on medium... unless its with dx11, or dx10 settings

Crap this is supremely tempting, but I have way too much on my plate right now, and I heard it's fairly short with next to no replay value. Here's hoping I can score a copy for $15 in the near future.

Eh... it's a good deal, but a bad weekend to put Metro on sale since Fallout 3 GOTY is the same price with more bang for the buck. I'll probably wait for the $10-15 range...

At this point in the release cycle? $25 isn't even close to a deal. Get back to me when you're offering $15, $20 retail.

Metro 2033 wasn't all that great anyhow. $25 is still a bit much.

[quote name='RollingSkull']At this point in the release cycle? $25 isn't even close to a deal. Get back to me when you're offering $15, $20 retail.

Metro 2033 wasn't all that great anyhow. $25 is still a bit much.[/QUOTE]

I don't know, I kinda think that it being half off less than 3 months later from release is pretty good.

But yeah, won't pick this up until it's about $10.

I caved and bought it. This is the one game I been wanting the most since it came out. Mostly because the atmosphere and setting seems awesome. So for 25 bucks I had to get it. I hope it runs well on my system.

3ghz quad core, 8 gigs of ram, ati radeon 4870x2 2 gigs of ram. so i am hoping for the best. I can play crysis maxed out so hoping I can run this atleast at high settings.

[quote name='maingon']I caved and bought it. This is the one game I been wanting the most since it came out. Mostly because the atmosphere and setting seems awesome. So for 25 bucks I had to get it. I hope it runs well on my system.

3ghz quad core, 8 gigs of ram, ati radeon 4870x2 2 gigs of ram. so i am hoping for the best. I can play crysis maxed out so hoping I can run this atleast at high settings.[/QUOTE]

You'll have no problem running this game then. I have a 2.66Ghz quad core, 8gb ram and just one Radeon 4890 1GB. I run it on 1080p and max settings with no problems at all, you should be running it smoother than I am.

[quote name='FrankTheTank3388']You'll have no problem running this game then. I have a 2.66Ghz quad core, 8gb ram and just one Radeon 4890 1GB. I run it on 1080p and max settings with no problems at all, you should be running it smoother than I am.[/QUOTE]

sweet! thanks

[quote name='RollingSkull']At this point in the release cycle? $25 isn't even close to a deal. Get back to me when you're offering $15, $20 retail.

Metro 2033 wasn't all that great anyhow. $25 is still a bit much.[/QUOTE]

:whistle2:?

Could you define "this point in the release cycle" for me please, because when I ponder the idea of purchasing this 3 month old game-- now half off for a $50 full-fledged retail release-- I don't have the same sentiments or attributes factored in? I understand you are probably factoring in your opinion of the game, but, if it has an 81 on Meta and most gamers admire it, maybe it wasn't your type of game if you didn't like it? I'm not insinuating anything or trying to be sarcastic or offensive, I'm honestly confused.

I sometimes think CAG spoils us, we expect games to release for $60-$50 and then within several weeks plummet down to $10-$20, and if not, it's not a "real sale" (or so a lot of the commentary here states over the time I've been here)...Really, half off 90 something days after release is generally considered to be a deal when the game is 80+ on the Meta and the majority of gamers give it a thumbs up. To each their own though, I understand this is CAG and we all have our "thresholds" of what is a bargain and what isn't.

[quote name='BWS1982']:whistle2:?

Could you define "this point in the release cycle" for me please, because when I ponder the idea of purchasing this 3 month old game-- now half off for a $50 full-fledged retail release-- I don't have the same sentiments or attributes factored in? I understand you are probably factoring in your opinion of the game, but, if it has an 81 on Meta and most gamers admire it, maybe it wasn't your type of game if you didn't like it? I'm not insinuating anything or trying to be sarcastic or offensive, I'm honestly confused.

I sometimes think CAG spoils us, we expect games to release for $60-$50 and then within several weeks plummet down to $10-$20, and if not, it's not a "real sale" (or so a lot of the commentary here states over the time I've been here)...Really, half off 90 something days after release is generally considered to be a deal when the game is 80+ on the Meta and the majority of gamers give it a thumbs up. To each their own though, I understand this is CAG and we all have our "thresholds" of what is a bargain and what isn't.[/QUOTE]
your comment is so true, same here when it comes to being cheap i am getting the same way expecting all games to be 10 or no deal. CAG spoils us plus we all have backlogs mine is well over 200 by now, damn you cag lol

I went ahead and picked it up. I'm upgrading my computer later this week anyways, so I'll have a nice game to play as soon as I'm done.

[quote name='FruitsPunchSmrai']my 3ghz c2d with 4870 512mb at 1920x1200 runs the game at high settings on dx9, the fps never drops below 50, dx10 causes a huge drop though, but no significant graphic change.. as seems to be the case with almost every dx10 game

The game looks and runs great on 4870, so I think theres something wrong if a GTX470 cant run it on medium... unless its with dx11, or dx10 settings[/QUOTE]

4870 512mb at 1920x1200? It almost seems like it would be taxed badly at that res at HIGH with only 512MB of ram.

I used a 4850 512mb at 1680x1050 and HIGH was stuffy at times and this is with a quad core. Normal does run much better though.

[quote name='FrankTheTank3388']You'll have no problem running this game then. I have a 2.66Ghz quad core, 8gb ram and just one Radeon 4890 1GB. I run it on 1080p and max settings with no problems at all, you should be running it smoother than I am.[/QUOTE]

Well, I bit. Mostly because these specs sound the same as mine. Frank, is that 2.66GHz CPU of yours a Core i5 750? That's what I've got.

I'll see how it runs when I get home from work later.

[quote name='dcon agent 000']4870 512mb at 1920x1200? It almost seems like it would be taxed badly at that res at HIGH with only 512MB of ram.

I used a 4850 512mb at 1680x1050 and HIGH was stuffy at times and this is with a quad core. Normal does run much better though.[/QUOTE]

Linear games arent very taxing when it comes to Memory, on top of that, its DDR5, that alone makes it more efficient that 1gb of ddr3 (or so I've heard anyway)

But yeah, it runs great at that res on high settings, no v-sync, AAA, 4x AF
Don't forget 4870 is at least 30% faster than 4850, and this game is almost only GPU intense

Btw, this game is amazing, its got its faults, but it's one of the most immersive games ive ever played

I decided to pick it up and it runs better than I thought it would on my setup (at least in the hour that I have played so far).

This isn't in dead deals?

[quote name='Xealot42']I decided to pick it up and it runs better than I thought it would on my setup (at least in the hour that I have played so far).[/QUOTE]

I got it at the last minute, and I'm glad I did. I updated my ATI Radeon HD 4890 drivers a day later, and now things run even more smoothly. I can do DX10 and very high with the other AA and texture filtering settings set to their lower settings, and most of the time the game runs at impressive framerates. The part at the beginning of the game seems to be the most taxing so far. The part where you are in that lobby and all those lights are shining into the room through the windows. Before I updated the drivers, it was unplayable. After I updated the drivers, it took a noticeable framerate hit but was still playable. I don't know how much more of the game is like that, but I haven't encountered any performance worse than that.

In addition, I played Crysis Warhead 64-bit in DX10 after updating the drivers. I believe I had everything maxed out. The game seems smoother now. This 4890 1GB DDR5 graphics card is really impressive.

Also, Metro 2033 supports DX10 1080p no problemo with ATI cards. I have to do some whack workaround to get the Crysis games to do DX10 and 1080p. Unless that got fixed in the latest driver update, but I didn't bother removing my fix to find out.

My specs...
1920x1080 60Hz (games played at that resolution and framerate)
Core i5 750 2.66GHz not overclocked
Radeon HD 4890 1GB DDR5 from Asus not overclocked
8GB DDR3 RAM

bread's done
Back