STEAM weekend deal: Mount & Blade $7.50

But what is it? Steam says its an RPG, but the description keeps talking about fighting mechanics. Is it like Dynasty Warriors game?

[quote name='vherub']This had a recent price drop to $5 at ebgames:

http://www.ebgames.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=72613[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but it's OOS online, and good luck finding it at B&M.

[quote name='SevereTireDamage']$5? Wow, that's a very steep drop. Kind of sad - that must mean it's been selling poorly, for such a well-reviewed game.[/QUOTE]
Well, judging by the size of the community, it seems to be doing pretty well. Remember, that although it was only recently released to retail and most digital distribution, it has actually been available for purchase directly from the developers for years, for people who were involved in the beta releases. It's had a long time to rack up decent sales.

[quote name='jalu6']But what is it? Steam says its an RPG, but the description keeps talking about fighting mechanics. Is it like Dynasty Warriors game?[/QUOTE]
It's a combat action game, with some fairly deep RPG elements.

Well I bought it, it looked too damn good to pass up for 7.50. It looks like alot of fun :) and I don't have an EB games to even look for it at so this is good. Thanks OP for pointing this out :D

just bought this for 20.00 on amazon... ugh.
But i like it. though im having trouble getting out of a city i went to visit. Im almost to the point of restarting.

I was thinking about this or the witcher at the time but never got around to buying either one. I am still not sure if I will even play it. Damn what you guys think should I get it?

[quote name='Shimrra']I was thinking about this or the witcher at the time but never got around to buying either one. I am still not sure if I will even play it. Damn what you guys think should I get it?[/QUOTE]

Well, you'll need to be willing to invest some time in either of them, so if you don't have the time to invest, then I wouldn't really recommend either.

My local gamestop has a copy. If I buy it, will I be able to add the CD key to steam such that I can download it forever?

[quote name='Cheadyp']My local gamestop has a copy. If I buy it, will I be able to add the CD key to steam such that I can download it forever?[/QUOTE]

no

[quote name='Sporadic']no[/quote]

Can you only do that with Valve games or something? In steam there is a button that says "Activate a product on steam." How do you know what games is that button good for?

[quote name='Cheadyp']Can you only do that with Valve games or something? In steam there is a button that says "Activate a product on steam." How do you know what games is that button good for?[/QUOTE]

Which retail CD Keys are accepted on Steam?

All retail Valve games and a number of third-party games can be registered to your Steam account. All of the following games can be registered through Steam:
• Valve CD Keys in this format: ####-#####-####
• Valve CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
• Alpha Prime CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
• Dark Messiah CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
• GTI Racing CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
• Lost Planet: Extreme Conditions CD-keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
• Prey CD Keys in this format: AAB1BB2C345CDD6E E7
• RACE - the WTCC Game CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
• RACE 07 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
• Ragdoll Kung Fu CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
• Red Orchestra CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
• SiN Episodes: Emergence CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
• The Ship CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
Opposing Force CD-keys cannot be registered through Steam. Opposing Force was included in a retail Half-Life package. The Half-Life CD-key included in the package will unlock all of the games in that package, including Opposing Force.

[quote name='kirkblitz']mmo?[/QUOTE]
No.

By the way, Sporadic, I don't know where you got that list, but it's way outdated. Here's the current list:
* Valve CD Keys in this format: ####-#####-####
* Valve CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
* Alpha Prime CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
* Dark Messiah CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
* Dark Messiah CD Keys may also have been printed incorrectly, please see the Dark Messiah article
* Dawn of War Soulstorm CD Keys in this format: 1AB2-3FGH-456I-K8LM-OP9Q
* Defense Grid CD Keys in this format (Direct2Drive only): 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
* Football Manager 2009 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2CD3FGH456I7JK8LMNOP9Q
* GTI Racing CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
* GTR Evolution CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
* Lost Planet: Extreme Conditions CD-keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
* NBA 2K9 CD-keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
* Prey CD Keys in this format: AAB1BB2C345CDD6E E7
* RACE - the WTCC Game CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
* RACE 07 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
* Ragdoll Kung Fu CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
* Red Orchestra CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
* SiN Episodes: Emergence CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
* Saint's Row 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
* The Ship CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
* STCC - The Game CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
* Worldwide Soccer Manager CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q

I've heard a lot of gushing over this game on podcasts, and it's been described as an expensive sandboxy game.

My question is: Is there a story, is there a path of objectives to fulfill? Or is it really just dicking around? Because it could be the greatest game in the world but if there aren't goals and an end, it just doesn't do it for me.

[quote name='Vegan']IMy question is: Is there a story, is there a path of objectives to fulfill? Or is it really just dicking around? Because it could be the greatest game in the world but if there aren't goals and an end, it just doesn't do it for me.[/QUOTE]

It's totally sandbox. There are quests you can do, but there are no forced story paths or anything like that. You're free to do what you want, how you want. And there is no ending, so you can play it forever.

The Gamers with Jobs guys splooged all over this one. So really its $7.50 plus the cost of a napkin.

From their explanation, the largest draw is the realistic (not lock on) combat and the make your own story world.

Im just having fun right now recruiting volunteers and attacking looters. It's alot of fun for what I payed for it. I was a huge fan of the movie braveheart and just any movie about that time period and this kinda brings that out :D

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']It's totally sandbox. There are quests you can do, but there are no forced story paths or anything like that. You're free to do what you want, how you want. And there is no ending, so you can play it forever.[/quote]

Ah, see, that's a turn-off for me.

This game is addictive ... but damn I keep getting my ass handed to me by random groups of mercenaries/barbarians/whatever the hell they are ... It's been fun but it is a bit repetitive ... I love the combat aspect, what would make this game even sweeter is if they took the more detailed aspects of a game like Civilization and integrated it with the combat system for battles (of course, scaling down the whole 'dominate the world' type aspect of the civ games) ... lots of potential, definitely worth $7.50 to check out.

I like the concept, but are the movements and animations as bad as they look in the youtube videos? It looks like a Morrowind combat mod gone HORRIBLY wrong.

Also, how are the really big battles (like hundreds of people) running for you guys? Always looks choppy as hell on youtube. I'd like to think my GTX 280 SLI and e8400 running at 4ghz would destroy them, but for all i know it's CPU limited and the dual core would screw me.

The combat isn't really "realistic" but it is fairly fun and satisfying.

Unfortunately, it is the only part that IS satisfying. The overworld gameplay is terrible. All the quests are stupid. The economy is retarded. ... Basically, any time you spend outside of combat feels completely pointless. Basically, it is a light action medieval combat sim in search of a non-shit game. $7.50 is what M&B is worth, but not really any more than that.

I think I remember one of the back columnists in PC Gamer talking about this recently, that it wasn't any good without a ton of mods (but that it was if you basically let modders turn it into a game?) I can't remember the details very well...

Well I think it's a pretty good game for how small the dev team is and was even smaller when they started. I had no problem buying it for 7.50 just to throw some support to an indy dev. I probably would've bought it for 15 on the year end sale but I didn't know about this game. I have a heavy imagination lol, so I can go around and pretend something is happening ingame, I am getting sick of delivering letters though xD

[quote name='Wolfpup']I think I remember one of the back columnists in PC Gamer talking about this recently, that it wasn't any good without a ton of mods (but that it was if you basically let modders turn it into a game?) I can't remember the details very well...[/QUOTE]

Lies. It's great on it's own, but when you bring in the countless high-quality mods that the community has made, it's becomes incredible.

This game has an incredibly addictive quality to it, even with shoddy graphics ... I know because I went to bed at 7 am this morning. It really is akin to a Medieval Sid Meier's Pirates ... speaking of mods, anyone have a list of any of the must haves?

Thanks guys for letting me know about 3rd party CD keys being able to be activated in Steam--I had a couple of those I got cheap on clearance that I just activated. Cool!

Shit, I could have just bought it, but I downloaded the demo instead. After I finished playing the demo (and loved it), I went to go buy it and THEY WERE OUT OF CD-KEYS....

Arg...

[quote name='JazzFlight']Shit, I could have just bought it, but I downloaded the demo instead. After I finished playing the demo (and loved it), I went to go buy it and THEY WERE OUT OF CD-KEYS....

Arg...[/QUOTE]

Dude I'm in the same boat. I played the tutorial last night and I didn't get a chance to start a new character until a few hours ago. I played the demo unitl it wouldn't let me play anymore. I want I want for $7.50 :(

Ryan

[quote name='JazzFlight']Shit, I could have just bought it, but I downloaded the demo instead. After I finished playing the demo (and loved it), I went to go buy it and THEY WERE OUT OF CD-KEYS....

Arg...[/quote]

Seriously? That's hilarious. Digital distribution, indeed! :lol:

[quote name='Smokie99']Sounds like they didn't expect it to sell so well and decided to pull the plug.[/QUOTE]

No. They just ran out of CD-keys. It happens with Steam occasionally, during sales (for instance, they ran out of UT3 keys during the Holiday sale).

See, some games on Steam that are also available at retail, pull CD-keys for every user that purchases the game via Steam from the same pool of CD-keys as the retail copies. Thus, Valve doesn't have infinite copies of everything in the store (though this does not apply to all games), so they occasionally have to obtain more keys from the publisher.

But they don't pull deals because they "sell too well." That's ridiculous.

[quote name='Cheadyp']My local gamestop has a copy. If I buy it, will I be able to add the CD key to steam such that I can download it forever?[/quote]

I picked up a copy at my local gamestop for 5 bucks.

You can't activate it on steam, HOWEVER, the copy I bought came with a coupon to activate the game at gamersgate.com.

Thus, for 5 bucks I got not only a boxed copy, but a digital copy for unlimited future downloads, should I so desire.

Awesome deal, esp. since steam is now sold out.

I don't do this often, but I'm gonna be skipping this deal
I'm really not into the whole medieval deal much, and the presentation doesn't look that great (although I'm sure the gameplay makes up for it from the good words everybody has about it :))

Arg...[/quote]

Same here. I played 4.4 hours of the demo and went to go buy it but couldn't. :bomb:

$7.50 is such a good deal for how much fun I had. I hope I can still get it at that price.

For the record, I played this for about 12 hours or so having a lot of fun until I realized absolutely how pointless the entire non-combat aspect of the game was.

What mods ARE good for this game? The way I see it, the combat is never going to get "realistic" but are there any that make the non-combat portions tolerable?

By the way, folks, here's a handy guide to get started on the game. You start out with nothing, and it is tough working your way up due mostly to silly design choices rather than anything else.

1. Find a town with a tournament.
2. Win the tournament with bets on yourself.
3. Run through every local village and hire as many recruits as you can.
4. Pull in some more professional talent from taverns if the funds permit.
5. Bop raiders upside the head for their loot.
6. Grow until you can pillage villages.
7. Raid villages and sell the loot. Repeat forever.

Optional: Take a "Collect Taxes" quest from a lord, but just never give him the cash.

Don't bother doing any other quests. That entire part of the experience is pointless.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back