Steam Weekend Deal - Mount & Blade - 85% Off

cheapo72

CAGiversary!
Feedback
180 (100%)
mountandblade_spotlight.jpg

Until Monday, the medieval sandbox of Mount & Blade is available for only $4.99 (85% off)

Steam Demo
Fileshack 1.011 Demo (probably more recent)
Metacritic (72)

The game lends itself to modding, and whether you want Roman Phalanxes, lasers & robots, or just better-looking horses you'll find it among the wealth of mods:

ModDB
TaleWorlds forum
The M&B Repository

and a good guide to get you started.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of deals have popped up for this game in the past, but I've been hesitant. Even at $4.99, I still can't find any enthusiasm.

CAGer's, how is this game, truly?

Game is awsome. Picked it up last time it was on sale. Game has a great mod community. Some really great mods out there for it. Worth checking out

Mount and Blade was a tremendous disappointment for me. The combat is fun for the first couple of hours but after a while big army battles just feel like canned animation spamfests. The melee is much better done in Dark Messiah anyway.

And everything outside of the battles? COMPLETE trash. Quests, overworld, economy, the enemy lords constantly respawning with armies 3 times your max size no matter how often you whup them, nothing you do matters. You have no impact on the world other than occasionally changing colors of the castles to your team's and burning villages whenever you need money.

That said, try the demo. It's the whole damn game with just a 7 level cap. For $5, it is decent and I might have even bought it myself, but don't think you're supporting something amazing here.

Easily worth $5. Yes, it's one of those games that definitely burns out after a while, but the mounted horseback combat is something that really has never been done so well, even in AAA games.

It's definitely dated, but I have a blast with it. It's definitely worth 5 bucks if you're any kind of medieval combat enthusiast.

I bought it for like $18 when it was just in beta years ago and I think it's totally worth it at THAT price.

But yea, try the demo and see if it's your thang.

Jumped on it... backlog is now 18 games including Assassins Creed 2, Bioshock 2, Bad Company 1, Trine, Killzone 2, Resistance 2, and MGS4. Darn you weekend deals consuming yet more of my money! Just let me do my homework while listening to Daft Punk!

Seriously though CAG... You have made me spend around $400 this year on games.... and literally saved me over $1000. Love this forum, but dag nabbit stop posting such awesome deals!

[quote name='EliotAndrews']Lots of deals have popped up for this game in the past, but I've been hesitant. Even at $4.99, I still can't find any enthusiasm.

CAGer's, how is this game, truly?[/QUOTE]

I grabbed it for $5 during the D2D 5th Anniversary Sale, and I have found it to be $5 worth of fun. For that price, the awesome combat is worth it. For any more, the lame everything else might be a deal breaker.

I picked it up last year when it was on a steam weekend sale for probably $10 or so.

I honestly had a blast with it, though it does get repetitive. Even so, I myself got it, and talked two friends into getting it, and we all played for a few weeks solid and exchanged stories and screenshots of epic battles.

The combat is challenging, well done, and makes you feel like a badass when you control it well.

At least when I played, there were several mods out there that made it even more enjoyable. Higher res armor/weapon textures. Removing the battlefield unit caps (when armies of 200 vs 200 engaged, it normally played out in 'waves' of like 30 units on each side til it was resolved. The mod removed this so that there were actually hundreds of units fighting it out at once)

It is not a pretty game (I was running it on a decent gaming rig at high resolution)

mb7.jpg

Taking these stairs was not easy.

mb3.jpg

There used to be bad guyz here until my archers breached the wall.

Best mounted combat ever ... seriously, worth $5 for that alone ... the game can get kinda old overall but the mounted combat is great. It's the closest I've come in a game to feeling like I'm in Braveheart or some other movie with epic battles where some of the guys are on horse and some are on foot.

I'm really looking forward to the sequel/ expansion to this ... as the game has tremendous potential and with some fine tuning and smoothing of the edges it would be incredible.

Problem is that all the mods just felt like reskins of the game rather than expansions or anything close to turning the game's crap into something that's not an insult to the player.

The combat is where this game truly excels ... sure the rest can be fun, but it can also be frustrating once you piss off a few of the different factions and they all want to kill you.

To get your $5 worth, here's what I advise doing ... there are a couple exploits you can use with the 'character import' feature ... max out your stats and raise an army. Then take your army and max out your money and buy some good items, a better horse, etc. Then go find one of the major armies in the game and attack them.

An epic battle will ensue with tons of men on the field, horses with fully armored knights and just ride around fighting .. it's truly just the most fun you can have in this game. Plus, when the battle is over you can capture slaves that can either be added to your army or sold at towns and cities. You can also recruit special characters at bars and taverns that will fight in your army and you can equip them with awesome armor and ride into battle with them.

Honestly, if they took these core components and built a better engine and added better graphics, this game could be one of the best on the market. It's just really really fun to play and mess around in ... and it's addictive. The type of game you play for 5 hours straight and then don't play for 5 months ... but once you boot it up, the attempts to raise an army, raid cities and caravans and take on quests for different warring factions is simply addictive as hell!

I bought this game for 29.99 and do not regret it. You would think that it would be boring as hell from some of the reviews, but I've easily put close to 200 hours into this game. I just enjoy the setting and the combat.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Mount and Blade was a tremendous disappointment for me. The combat is fun for the first couple of hours but after a while big army battles just feel like canned animation spamfests. The melee is much better done in Dark Messiah anyway.

And everything outside of the battles? COMPLETE trash. Quests, overworld, economy, the enemy lords constantly respawning with armies 3 times your max size no matter how often you whup them, nothing you do matters. You have no impact on the world other than occasionally changing colors of the castles to your team's and burning villages whenever you need money.

That said, try the demo. It's the whole damn game with just a 7 level cap. For $5, it is decent and I might have even bought it myself, but don't think you're supporting something amazing here.[/QUOTE]
Agreed 100%. I bought this a long time ago, and while I do think I got $5 worth of amusement out of it, the experience seemed to actually get worse the longer I played it. It feels like less of a game and more of a tech demo for some indy project.

I honestly don't think the combat is all it's cracked up to be. When you're first starting out and having small skirmishes with a dozen men or so on each side, it seems promising, but the experience doesn't scale well. When large armies encounter each other, it basically devolves into a clusterfuck of hundreds of men running into each other while trying to find a nearby enemy. There's some limited control for tactics, but by this point, you'll probably just ignore them and ride around, taking out enemies one by one.

Outside of this, there are elements of RPG and management games, but everything is tuned so poorly that you'll certainly want to mod the game to avoid having to grind for 100s of hours just to build an army that's still only a fraction of the size of the NPC armies. The actual content is lacking, too. I realize they're going for a big sandbox experience, but this is a little too sandboxy for me -- all of the characters and places are completely generic, and it doesn't really feel like anything you're doing has any impact on the world.

I haven't played in a while, so it's possible things have improved. The overall premise is nice, but it just wasn't executed well. I may revisit in the future to see if it evolves into something interesting, but while I don't regret paying $5 for this, if I had the chance to buy it again I'd probably pass for now.

Wow, people are complaining about a $5 game? I've gotten way more than $5 worth out of this one. The mods alone make this game a keeper. There's a Star Wars mod that blows Battlefront out of the water. Currently, I'm playing an old LoTR mod for an older version of the game. It's a bit rough around the edges at times, but I highly recommend this one. I might pick up an extra gift copy.

[quote name='aspower']Wow, people are complaining about a $5 game? I've gotten way more than $5 worth out of this one. The mods alone make this game a keeper. There's a Star Wars mod that blows Battlefront out of the water. Currently, I'm playing an old LoTR mod for an older version of the game. It's a bit rough around the edges at times, but I highly recommend this one. I might pick up an extra gift copy.[/QUOTE]

There is no way this game is better than Star Wars Jedi Academy for the lightsaber battles though.

[quote name='MrDarkstorm']There is no way this game is better than Star Wars Jedi Academy for the lightsaber battles though.[/QUOTE]

Except for the price ;)

bread's done
Back