Steam Weekend Deal: Mount & Blade: Warband. ($10.20, 66% Off)

EliotAndrews

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
Get your weapons ready - Mount & Blade is the Weekend Deal.

spotlight_306x270.jpg

Mount & Blade ($7.50, 75% Off)
Mount & Blade: Warband ($10.20, 66% Off)

Both are normally $29.99.

Personally, word of mouth has been mixed for this game, so I'm hesitant. Not to worry, though, a demo is available on the Mount & Blade page.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='radioactivez0r']And M&B Warband is also a deal, though not as much of a discount - 66%:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/48700/[/QUOTE]
Strangely enough, instantly after I posted this, Steam's homepage got updated with the proper picture. (Though there's no text below it yet.)

Even so, the original post has been beefed up. I won't put both Mount & Blade original and Warband on the topic title just to keep things succinct, though that may end up making me look lazy or uninformative. If I get enough complaints, I'll extend the title.

Well, unlike the vast majority of players (it would seem), I found mounted combat to be incredibly difficult in this game (the original). While movement is fluid (possibly a little too fluid), manually aiming your weapon in such a way that you can actually strike a target in a consistent way is highly problematic. Action games that feature first-person combat have to have a relatively easy control scheme or the game is just an exercise in frustration. Unfortunately, that's precisely what Mount and Blade is (on an unrelated note, Resident Evil 5 seems to suffer from a very similar problem).

Incredible game. Everyone buy it or you're dumb. This is the best deal on it so far (it was $14.99 during the Summer sales). Vastly open gameplay possibilities, infinite replayability, terrific multiplayer (up to 64 players) and a sprawling mod community.

I bought the singleplayer M&B for $5 (so this isn't too great of a sale for the original), but it wasn't a game that really grabbed me so it's sitting pretty far down in my backlog.

I think I'll skip Warband for now, especially since in the free multiplayer beta it seemed to really punish lag, though that was still a beta. Maybe I'll get it and try it again when it's down to around $5, which shouldn't be too far into the future. Looks like you can activate Warband keys on steam, so that leaves a lot of places to offer better deals on it too.

Looks interesting, but I don't know if I would like it for sure. If there was a demo, or it was only $5, I would be all over it for sure.

[quote name='BrolyB593']Looks interesting, but I don't know if I would like it for sure. If there was a demo, or it was only $5, I would be all over it for sure.[/QUOTE]

Mount & Blade has a demo on its steam page (right-hand side, grey "Download Demo" button). Warband can be downloaded from the developers, and runs in trial mode if you don't have a serial key (up to level 7 and no multiplayer, it looks like).

That said, Mount & Blade has been $5 before and surely will again. Warband probably won't be too far behind.

Anyone who's played both. Is it worth getting Mount and Blade if I pick up Warband, or does Warband, as a stand alone, have enough?

[quote name='Maskim']Anyone who's played both. Is it worth getting Mount and Blade if I pick up Warband, or does Warband, as a stand alone, have enough?[/QUOTE]

Warband is everything Mount & Blade regular is and more. Supposed to be improved in every aspect. I can't back those claims up myself, just what I've read on the Steam forums.

Warband completely replaces original M&B. It's a basically an updated version that the devs tacked MP on to and released as a separate project for greed.

Fortunately, $10.20 is the first time Warband has been offered a price commensurate with its value. It is a decent but poorly designed medieval combat game. Definitely worth a shot at that price if you find the demo to your liking. But the overworld, quests, talking to other lords, raising armies, relationship system, trading,... everything apart from that solid army combat is pretty awful.

heard many good things bout this game and backloggery is dieing down so I dont mind picking and trying these games.

[quote name='Muitabui']heard many good things bout this game and backloggery is dieing down so I dont mind picking and trying these games.[/QUOTE]

DO NOT BUY THEM BOTH.

Just buy Warband.

Thanks for the heads-up.

I dug M&B - it was basically a medieval version of Sid Meier's Pirates - but w/ awesome horse combat.
DLing M&B:WB now from Steam.

If you're a fan of mods for games get the first one and you can have everything from Star Wars to Fallout type atmospheres going on in the game.

If you want less mods but a larger game and don't mind waiting for the mods pick up the second one

Dunno if I'll jump on this one, as I have an untouched copy of Mount and Blade from a previous sale. Need to figure if graphical improvements are worth $10, since I don't care about multiplayer.

Although Warband is supposedly better, if someone is just dying to have the first game and lives near a Half Price Books, check there first. I've visited multiple ones recently, and all of them had quite a few Mount & Blade copies for around $6 or less. Not a huge savings of course, but still cheaper.

[quote name='Kurina']Although Warband is supposedly better, if someone is just dying to have the first game and lives near a Half Price Books, check there first. I've visited multiple ones recently, and all of them had quite a few Mount & Blade copies for around $6 or less. Not a huge savings of course, but still cheaper.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.
Then you'll get a physical copy and still get a Steam copy.
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-wusf-3601

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Incredible game. Everyone buy it or you're dumb. This is the best deal on it so far (it was $14.99 during the Summer sales). Vastly open gameplay possibilities, infinite replayability, terrific multiplayer (up to 64 players) and a sprawling mod community.[/QUOTE]

What he said.

I bought the game after seeing the giantbomb video and the positive remarks on here and I've got to say...it's awesome! The physics are great and the multiplayer action is probably the most fun I have had in a very long time. Thanks!

bread's done
Back