Steam Weekend Deal - Risen - 50% off

50% off isn't bad, but from what I hear Risen is a subpar game. Of course, tastes are different for everyone so anyone interested may jump on this.

Risen is excellent, and is from the creators of Gothic 1 through 3. $15 is a fucking steal for it.

It reviewed pretty well but its not a game for everyone... some people don't really like European PC RPG's.

Should also note in the OP that this is the weekend deal so it's good all weekend.

Take advantage of the Weekend Deal and save 50% on Risen!

Offer expires on Monday, Nov. 15th at 10AM PST.

I'm currently working on New Vegas when I have the time. Is Risen worth the time or money, or is New Vegas just better? I am enjoying New Vegas's setting and factions.

Although I never actually finished the game, I managed to get to the final chapter in Risen before giving up on it. While it's a decent RPG there are quite a few glaring flaws that ended up making me lose interest in it.

While the voice work is excellent the characters themselves are pretty bland and uninspired. The story is pretty weak too (it starts off pretty interesting, especially when you're picking one of the factions to side with, but it just starts plummeting by the third chapter). A lot of the sidequests (and even some of the main quests) are pretty boring and the dungeon crawling can get pretty old pretty quick later on. And although the combat can be pretty merciless a lot of the time once you start getting used to the system, leveling up and getting better equipment it starts to get easier. Finally, I think there were far too many dungeons and caves, and not enough towns. It may seem a bit silly, but I like to have plenty of NPCs to interact with, not just mostly enemies and creatures.

Risen is by no means a terrible game (especially at a $15 price point). The combat system works well enough most of the time and the game has a lot of content. But the weak story, bland characters and repetitive dungeon crawling made me lose interest before I could finish it.

[quote name='Pajama_Man']Keep in mind the game has a 3rd Party DRM TAGES 3 machine activation limit.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for bringing this up. To my understanding there is not a way to revoke activations meaning that after 3 installs you would have to go back to TAGES support to be granted another installation.

I don't know, its a maybe for me 15 dollars isn't that much but I have such a backlog right now, it may be next summer before I get around to playing it unless its really compelling...

Bumpage... cause if you put the time in, you may get hooked. And check a FAQ on how to be a full wizard, because it's easy to get pushed into a melee class.. and they're not as fun.

Good game on PC. Heard the 360 version sucked, so don't go off of that.

I can at least say this much for it - it is gorgeous with the settings turned up. Amazing atmosphere and use of color. Very unique mixture of Mediterranean and traditional fantasy cues.

The game is much better on pc than 360, almost an entirely different game in terms of performance and graphical quality. It's also a pretty good western rpg, and don't trust most of the usual reviews because the American media always bashes euro rpgs (or any western rpg not from Bioware and Bethesda/Obsidian). It's a genre they just don't get.

[quote name='tmacairjordan87']The game is much better on pc than 360, almost an entirely different game in terms of performance and graphical quality. It's also a pretty good western rpg, and don't trust most of the usual reviews because the American media always bashes euro rpgs (or any western rpg not from Bioware and Bethesda/Obsidian). It's a genre they just don't get.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, I'm in the middle of Divinity II (that's why I'm passing on Risen right now) and it's ten times more fun than Dragon Age, with much more freedom and things to do.

I will pick this game up eventually, but right now I have probably 100+ games I need to finish. I'll keep an eye out around Xmas to see what deals they have then. I've also got my eye on Divinity II as well.

Wasn't too bad of a game when I played it. I loved the overall freedom of the game and the atmosphere. At $15 I may just have to buy it for myself...

[quote name='tmacairjordan87']The game is much better on pc than 360, almost an entirely different game in terms of performance and graphical quality. It's also a pretty good western rpg, and don't trust most of the usual reviews because the American media always bashes euro rpgs (or any western rpg not from Bioware and Bethesda/Obsidian). It's a genre they just don't get.[/QUOTE]

:roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

George Bush doesn't care about black people

[quote name='killerthrust']George Bush doesn't care about black people[/QUOTE]

Well yeah that's obvious :p

It just is what it is, you can tell from observing who doesn't like what, and the modern day media tends to hate on jrpgs (with good reason there) and western euro-rpgs. You'll see New Vegas, which is great by the way, get high scores despite crippling bugs and framerate, but a game like Risen or Gothic get penalized for those same things despite having rpg mechanics on par with Bethesda and Obsidian (and especially Bioware after ME2, one of the most rpg lite games ever)

[quote name='tmacairjordan87']Well yeah that's obvious :p

It just is what it is, you can tell from observing who doesn't like what, and the modern day media tends to hate on jrpgs (with good reason there) and western euro-rpgs. You'll see New Vegas, which is great by the way, get high scores despite crippling bugs and framerate, but a game like Risen or Gothic get penalized for those same things despite having rpg mechanics on par with Bethesda and Obsidian (and especially Bioware after ME2, one of the most rpg lite games ever)

Just so everyone knows Steam ran out of keys for Risen early Friday even though they are still selling the game. Although you can still buy and download the game you can't play it unless you get a pirate - no cd crack .exe.

There's no word when they will have more keys, but common consensus is probably Monday. With only a one line "sorry" on the message board and not pulling the game or placing a warning on the sale page Steam really screwed it up on this one. DRM F*@!s the paying consumer again!

bread's done
Back