Steam Weekend Deal: STALKER for $4.99

Serik

CAGiversary!
header.jpg

This weekend: STALKER for $4.99

In other news, Steam will sell EA games. Right now you can purchase Mass Effect, Spore, Need for Speed Underground, Warhammer Online, and FIFA Manager 09. Red Alert 3, Mirror's Edge, and Deadspace are coming soon.

Edit: According to a Steam forum mod, Spore will only use Steam's DRM. A Bioware dev told Blue's News that Mass Effect ($29.99) will only use Steam's built-in DRM; no third-party stuff like SecuROM.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='lowenbotten']Good idea asking that here. Because there's no way you could find that out using Google.[/QUOTE]

I prefer dogpile, but thanks, I've added you to my ignore list.

[quote name='rifle21']What the hell kinda world do we live in where people don't remember one of the greatest movies of all time, yet know the movie that rips it off. sighhhhh.[/quote]

Okay fuck you buddy, I JUST watched Boondock Saints last weekend but haven't seen BTTF in a couple years, alright?

Also I seriously doubt that phrase was first uttered in BTTF anyways.

[quote name='Ecto311']1up did a decent backlog on their Monday podcast shows a few weeks ago. Sounded good enough for $5.[/quote]

Haha, yes, but none of them could figure out that the game made by Ukrainians which is set in Ukraine would have voice acting in Ukrainian. "Um, maybe it's Russian."

Not sure if I'm going to jump on it yet. I meet min specs but not recommended on processor or video card, although video card is close.

[quote name='grifter_mcgraw']The expression is "...couldn't hit the inside of a barn." Just saying.[/quote]
Umm no. It's couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

I was looking forward to playing this game since I saw it a couple years ago, but I have to say I think I've been spoiled by Fallout 3. I don't feel ripped off or anything since I only paid $5 for it, but does it pick up after the beginning? I'm having trouble getting past the graphics, walls of text and glitches here and there ... but I am intrigued by the setting. Just out of curiosity, for those who have played both, how do you guys think this compares to Fallout 3?

[quote name='G33']Don't know if my three-year-old gaming computer can run it, but for $5, I'll try it out.[/QUOTE]

Well its on steam, so if you ever upgrade, you can always redownload and play on your new computer. I've never had any problems with steam personally. You can also put your own games in the Steam game browser, making it a tad more efficient.

Finally gave in and purchased it. The reviews are so mixed on this that it was hard to decide. For $5 I figured it's at least a good way to find out if it's good or not. Plus I just ordered a Q6600 and an Nvidia 9800GT card for a new setup, so I definitely need some games to try out.

Thanks for pointing this deal out though, op, I don't go on Steam that often (because I don't have a good gaming PC yet), so I would have never seen this deal.

I bit on the deal at the last moment
I do own a disk copy already, which I haven't even played, but $5 is just too good of a deal to pass up
Will get rid of this copy of STALKER I have now lol

STALKER is a fantastic game once you understand the nuances. It also has a great mod community but I suggest playing through at least once vanilla (unmodified).

It doesn't hold your hand though. Prepare to really break in the quickload button.

STALKER NEWBIE GUIDE (VANILLA EDITION)

I keep dying in combat!
STALKER is not Halo. Find cover, aim (right mouse), go for headshots (on enemies with heads). Use Q and E to lean around corners. Move slowly, listen for enemies, and stay frosty.

I can't hit anything!
The beginning weapons suck, especially when firing from the hip. You might have better luck grabbing a shotgun and getting in close. Trying to 'snipe' with any unscoped gun will get you killed. About 1/3rd through the game, you can start grabbing scoped rifles which let you engage from farther away.

I can't run very far!
Find artifacts that up your Endurance. Eventually you'll have almost limitless run. But no amount of artifacts will prevent you from getting tired if you're overweight.

I'm always out of space in my backpack!
Once you get a solid rifle, drop your handgun. Anything that can't be taken down with a full rifle mag is only going to be annoyed by pistol rounds.
Try to trim yourself down to two primary weapons and stick with them.
Bread is lighter than rations or sausage and does the same job.
Antirad is lighter than vodka and does a better job. It can also be easily looted in the field, so don't feel the need to carry more than 20. Same for bandages and medkits.

I don't know how long weekend deals usually go for, but the price is still good right now. Also, if you did miss it, STALKER is on GameTap now too.

I've been playing it this month, and there's one suggestion somebody else posted that I'm seconding: Skip the (generic, randomly generated) side quests! They're mostly frustrating or a waste of time. The main plot is long enough. Occasionally, you'll see other side quests that are worth doing, though. But when it's just (find the animal part/clear the bandit camp/find the artifact) then you definitely can pass on it.

Well I'm sure I can't find this for $5, so it was mine in about an hour. 5GB and all...

Haven't played it, but glad it was this weekend's deal. Wonder what next weekend will bring!

(We really should have a Steam Thread, Stickied and just change the title.... much like the Wii VC releases, so can we in the PC gaming forum.)

Damn, I saw this deal Friday, kept telling myself all weekend to buy it, but never got my lazy arse around to it.

[quote name='Hoffer']Damn, I saw this deal Friday, kept telling myself all weekend to buy it, but never got my lazy arse around to it.[/QUOTE]

So, stop whining and buy it now it's still live! :lol:

For $5 this game looks rather good when you set all the video options to its highest settings. I am glad I picked it for the same price of a magazine that would take me a few mins to read I own a game that will take me a couple hours to go thru. Thanks OP.

[quote name='Shimrra']For $5 this game looks rather good when you set all the video options to its highest settings. I am glad I picked it for the same price of a magazine that would take me a few mins to read I own a game that will take me a couple hours to go thru. Thanks OP.[/quote]

Don't forget all the mods, to extend the life of the game, it will....[/yoda]

Damnit. It being the Christmas season, and me having no job since I've been away at school, I can't spare even $5 bucks for this. I've been wanting to check this out for a while too :cry:

Didn't see this until today, but the deal is still there so I went for it. Too many games right now, but I'm looking forward to playing it whenever I get the chance.

[quote name='fuchikoma']STALKER is a fantastic game once you understand the nuances. It also has a great mod community but I suggest playing through at least once vanilla (unmodified).

It doesn't hold your hand though. Prepare to really break in the quickload button.

STALKER NEWBIE GUIDE (VANILLA EDITION)

I keep dying in combat!
STALKER is not Halo. Find cover, aim (right mouse), go for headshots (on enemies with heads). Use Q and E to lean around corners. Move slowly, listen for enemies, and stay frosty.[/quote]

How do you keep dying in this game? It isn't that hard. Most beasties can be easily beaten with "Run backwards while shooting." or training them to a home camp (Which you'll likely reach first if all you have is the popgun.). If you use cover, most human foes will leave cover to pursue you, making even the military guys at the bridge easy pickings with even your popgun. All this is on the hardest difficulty, even.

bread's done
Back