STEAM Weekend Deal: X-COM Complete Pack $4.99

Nice, a dollar a piece doesn't sound too bad, though the games look dated, the gameplay itself should be worth $5.

[quote name='Escargoexpress']And I was thinking about picking this up during the steam sale, when it cost over 10 dollars, IIRC[/QUOTE]

Same for me...glad I waited. :)

If anyone picks 'em up, be sure to mention how well they run. Main things I'd be worried about would be animations running too fast and really fast scrolling during a battle.

[quote name='SqueeMK2']If anyone picks 'em up, be sure to mention how well they run. Main things I'd be worried about would be animations running too fast and really fast scrolling during a battle.[/quote]

That's what I want to know.

TBW

I loved X-Com on the PS1. Are these versions any good? I don't want to be cheap about $5, but I hate paying for something I may never use.

I've heard a lot of really great things about X-Com, but have never actually picked it up to try out.

For those of you who have played it, is it a very click intensive game?

I have a netbook coming my way next week and want to put a couple older games on it. This seems like a perfect opportunity to find out what I have been missing out on, but if it requires fast twitch reflexes, I may pass.

[quote name='Swift900']I've heard a lot of really great things about X-Com, but have never actually picked it up to try out.

For those of you who have played it, is it a very click intensive game?

I have a netbook coming my way next week and want to put a couple older games on it. This seems like a perfect opportunity to find out what I have been missing out on, but if it requires fast twitch reflexes, I may pass.[/quote]

XCom 1 and 2 are turn based strategy. I forget about Apoc. The last two are real-time, and not as good.

Tempting I loved XCom 1 and 2 when I was a kid, but I know I just wont have time to play this with my backlog of games.

you bastards. I bought x-com UD before. I better gift x-com UD or something. I bought them.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='noxxle']Aren't the xcom games freeware?[/QUOTE]X-Com was released for free in PC Gamer a few years back, but it's not really considered freeware.

X-Com 1 and Terror is pure turn-based. Apoc is turn-based or hybrid real-time which ever your choose. 4 is a space flight sim and 5 is a fps though I never did play 5.

If nothing else 1 and 2 is worth the $5 imo while 3 is decent. 4 and 5 is forgettable. I still remember buying 1 and 2 from a computer retail store that wasn't specialize in just games.....man I feel old lol.

[quote name='Vinn']X-Com 1 and Terror is pure turn-based. Apoc is turn-based or hybrid real-time which ever your choose. 4 is a space flight sim and 5 is a fps though I never did play 5.

If nothing else 1 and 2 is worth the $5 imo while 3 is decent. 4 and 5 is forgettable. I still remember buying 1 and 2 from a computer retail store that wasn't specialize in just games.....man I feel old lol.[/QUOTE]

QFT =)

Anybody remember Egghead Software? That's where I got mine. =)

Then also Silo Electronics? Got my first 486 IBM Compatible computer (Packard Bell) from there. 25 MHz of blazing glory =)

Not counting apple 2C's now...

[quote name='SqueeMK2']If anyone picks 'em up, be sure to mention how well they run. Main things I'd be worried about would be animations running too fast and really fast scrolling during a battle.[/quote]
The first three (UFO Defense, TFTD, APOC) run in dosbox, so they have no major complications due to age. It also ensures Vista compatibility. The only problem was in the config file that creates some audio glitches, but it is easily fixed with a text editor. They don't even need Steam to run.
The only one that ran fast was 5, because it was Unreal based and has problems with dual cores and laptop speedstepping.

EDIT: Link to forum post about issues with games. http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=724550http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=722303

[quote name='nikkai']Anybody remember Egghead Software? [/quote]

Hell yeah. I still have my original SimCity 2000 box with the Egghead receipt inside. Go 1994. :D

Wow, I played the hell out of the first X-COM and Apocalypse. But I wonder if they even run on Vista? This is Steam we're talking about here, not GOG.com.

I dunno what to do. :(

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']Wow, I played the hell out of the first X-COM and Apocalypse. But I wonder if they even run on Vista? This is Steam we're talking about here, not GOG.com.

I dunno what to do. :([/quote]
Well, UFO, TFTD, and Apoc all run in dosbox, same as any GOG.com dos game, so they would be compatible. The other two, however, are windows games. I haven't read any posts saying they don't run in Vista, but I can't recall any guarenteeing they will. I'm fairly sure Enforcer will run in vista, but Interceptor was released for Win98, so it might have compatibility issues. Hope that isn't a dealbreaker.

EDIT: There are a number of reports of full Vista compatibility in all games, so you shouldn't have anything to worry about.
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=724550

Pass. I'm not a fan of STEAM, but I guess this is a good deal for people who use the service.

Given the age of the titles, the price seems reasonable for the whole set.

Bought. X-Com is still one of my favorites, and for $5, it's worth the convenience of having them downloadable anytime I want. I could do without the godawful Enforcer and Interceptor, but...

And yes, all work fine in Vista.

Can't wait to see what that new X-Com that Ken Levine is supposedly helming is like...

[quote name='noxxle']Aren't the xcom games freeware?[/QUOTE]
[quote name='opportunity777']Although, Microprose may have released some of these titles as freeware.[/quote]

No. As stated, X-Com 1 was given away with PC Gamer a few years back, but it was and is not legal to freely distribute it, thus, not freeware. And certainly, none of the others are freeware either.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Bought. X-Com is still one of my favorites. I could do without the godawful Enforcer and Interceptor, but...

And yes, all work fine in Vista.

Can't wait to see what that new X-Com that Ken Levine is supposedly helming is like...

No. As stated, X-Com 1 was given away with PC Gamer a few years back, but it was and is not legal to freely distribute it, thus, not freeware. And certainly, none of the others are freeware either.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I changed it after you wrote that. I wasn't sure anymore. *shrug*

Not like it really matters, but I guess it's good for clarification.

[quote name='opportunity777']Pass. I'm not a fan of STEAM, but I guess this is a good deal for people who use the service.[/quote]

Note that a lot of the DOS-ish Steam games don't actually require Steam to run, just to download. With all of the DOS X-Com games, you should be able to buy the game, download it, then do whatever you want with the directory. (Specifically, X-Com 1, 2, and Apoc (as well as Commander Keen) all work after copying them to a Linux machine. Interceptor gives a Steam error though.)

This is, of course, assuming your problem is with the Steam DRM. (Which I really don't like either.)

Of more general interest, it appears the Steam version of X-Com is the DOS version, as opposed to the Windows port included with the PC Gamer CD, which is nice in a "more likely to actually work" kind of way.

If you haven't played XCom before...PICK THIS UP! You will NOT regret that classic title. Reminds me of why I will always be a PC gamer!

i hear x-com 1 has problems with vista

2nd best pc game of all time, there's a lot of things to do. right behind the cash cow called world of warcraft

[quote name='TyRiKe']i hear x-com 1 has problems with vista

2nd best pc game of all time, there's a lot of things to do. right behind the cash cow called world of warcraft[/QUOTE]

The Steam versions of X-COM, TFTD, and Apocalypse all runs in DOSbox, a DOS emulator, which itself works flawlessly in Vista. There are no problems whatsoever.

Damn I had been trying to avoid buying these. Was addicted to the first one ages ago. For 5 bucks I had to buy them. I am weak.

IMO X-com 1 is STILL worth $50. Hell, I bought the PS1 MOUSE to play it. How many of you seriously even knew the PS1 even had a mouse, much less have actually seen one? Exceptional game. If you are a fan of any of the recent UFO games, yeah, that's basically X-com.

Just picked this up as a gift for my brother as 1 and Terror are his favorite games ever. Now he doesn't need the ancient laptop I scavenged for him a few years back to play his original copy. lol Thanks OP! :D

[quote name='nikkai']QFT =)

Anybody remember Egghead Software? That's where I got mine. =)

Then also Silo Electronics? Got my first 486 IBM Compatible computer (Packard Bell) from there. 25 MHz of blazing glory =)

Not counting apple 2C's now...[/QUOTE]

I still have an Egghead Cue card laying around actually. Used to shop there for PC games all the time.

[quote name='nikkai']Anybody remember Egghead Software? That's where I got mine. =) [/quote]

Nice! I worked at Egghead after high school for a couple years back in like 96-97.

These games are hella good. The first two are pure gaming gold. In fact, I'll go as far as to say that there hasn't been an isometric turn-based strategy/tactics game released that trumps the first two. (I'd say the first one, but the second is basically the same, but re-skinned with different enemies-technologies and larger maps).

I think our copies came from Egghead too.

The third one was OK, not as good, and I never played the last two.

[quote name='mietha']How many of you seriously even knew the PS1 even had a mouse, much less have actually seen one?[/quote]
Me. I used it to play Lemmings 3D.

If you are a fan of any of the recent UFO games, yeah, that's basically X-com.
I kind of doubt that anyone who is a fan of UFO Aftermath/shock/lite, is completely unaware of X-COM.

[quote name='lordwow']I'm going to go ahead and grab this for when I get a PC in a month or so.[/QUOTE]

I guarantee that whatever PC you're typing that from can run X-COM.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']I guarantee that whatever PC you're typing that from can run X-COM.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure my Mac would agree.

[quote name='lordwow']I'm not sure my Mac would agree.[/quote]Actually, I've tried X-Com with a version of DOSbox for Mac OS X, and it works fine! The Steam client even works using the commercial Crossover emulation software, so you might even be able to use both, though I haven't tried the version purchased off Steam.

if you're definitely getting a new PC soon, you might as well purchase it now through the website at this price, since it's doubtful the whole pack will get cheaper than this.

[quote name='SevereTireDamage']if you're definitely getting a new PC soon, you might as well purchase it now through the website at this price, since it's doubtful the whole pack will get cheaper than this.[/quote]

[quote name='lordwow']I'm going to go ahead and grab this for when I get a PC in a month or so.[/quote]

...That's what he said. ;)

[quote name='rebthor']Now if I only could figure out how to play. I wish that steam had the docs available.[/quote]
Store pages have manuals. They are on the right hand column, after the general info on the game. Also, XCOM games are extremely well documented, with several in depth strategy guides, beginner guides, and tech information available through a Google search.

[quote name='SevereTireDamage']Actually, I've tried X-Com with a version of DOSbox for Mac OS X, and it works fine! The Steam client even works using the commercial Crossover emulation software, so you might even be able to use both, though I haven't tried the version purchased off Steam.

if you're definitely getting a new PC soon, you might as well purchase it now through the website at this price, since it's doubtful the whole pack will get cheaper than this.[/QUOTE]

You can't dual boot/use Crossover on PowerPC Macs.

I already did purchase it.

I bought the pack and could only play X-Com 1 for about 10 minutes. I played a lot of XC3 back in the day and frankly the game needs to be in real time. In XC1 I was getting 1 hit KO'd by Aliens that weren't even on the screen. On top of all that the user interface is terrible. I guess I'm just spoiled from modern games and can't go back to the classics. It was still worth $5 though.

X-Com is still regarded by many as one of the best games of all time - it's been at the top of several lists (no, I don't recall which). It's still my #1 game pic. Just something about it...especially when you pop one of those little grey f@ckers with a missile launcher! Take that, egghead!!!

bread's done
Back