Steam Weekend: Sol Survivor free weekend & 50% off! Tower defense for $5 or less.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
[youtube]_kpkSYF0TOo[/youtube]
Review: http://www.mygamer.com/index.php?page=gameportal&mode=reviews&id=555796

Sol Survivor is on sale for $4.99. It's also available in a 4-pack for $14.98, which makes the game $3.75 per person. You can try the game for free this weekend.
Sol Survivor is a tower defense game with local- and online cooperative and competitive multiplayer modes. It supports all the best Steam features like Achievements and Cloud and works with the Xbox 360 controller too.

Sol Survivor group buy thread

The official CAG Steam games discussion thread

9bc442b759df237a34eef29038628c1542c05515_full.jpg

Join the CAG Sol Survivor Steam group!

Last edited by a moderator:
I recall paying $3.75 during the Summer Sale. Still a fantastic deal, though.

Thanks to 4-Packs, CAG's can band together to save even more money.

How does this stack up in terms of quality, difficulty, replayability to Defense Grid? I'm certainly willing to shell out $5 even if the general consensus is that it's not as good, but I'm looking for someone who's played both to give me the low-down.

Graphically and sound-wise it's not nearly as nice as Defense Grid. Nor can you rewind to specific waves in this one. What's special about Sol Survivor is that there are multiple playable characters who possess different towers and special attacks. This adds some variety and lets you customize the experience to your playstyle. There are a ton of levels too. And unlike Defense Grid, Sol Survivor has multiplayer, which to me is its main selling point. If you're unsure, I suggest you try it during the free weekend.

it feels less polished and sometimes it's hard to pin point why your strategy failed
I found that this wasn't the case in Defense Grid
but for $5 I'd buy it again

[quote name='EliotAndrews']I recall paying $3.75 during the Summer Sale. Still a fantastic deal, though.

Thanks to 4-Packs, CAG's can band together to save even more money.[/QUOTE]

4-Pack is $15 and $15/4 = $3.75

Is that what you are thinking of? Or you mean it was that price normally during summer?

Well, I'm cheap, but for $1.25 it's a good chunk of effort to get 4 people together, paypalled, and gifted. I've done it twice for bigger savings. I'm not a super-CAG I guess. =(

Also, thanks for the feedback. I'll try it out this weekend. I'm not certain about the multiplayer, but I should give it a whirl just in case. Sometimes it surprises you. On the other hand, many people said multiplayer was the only reason to play Mount and Blade and I found the MP rather frustrating while the SP ate a good 60 hours of my time without batting an eye.

You won't find as solid of a tower defense game as this that supports as many players online as it does other than Warcraft 3 or Starcraft 2 custom maps. You'll play this game for the multiplayer since there are campaign co-op modes, survival type modes, versus and a multitude of customization options that offers a lot of different ways to play it along with all the commander abilities/tower type combinations you can use.

It's not the prettiest, but there's quite a whole lot to the package in terms of even singleplayer gameplay. The campaign has different medals you can earn by completing levels in certain ways or on specific difficulties. There are definitely some challenging levels that may require you to try a different commander or mix up your tower placement since the paths and terrain differ for each level. I've already spent quite a few hours going through the campaign.

As a big fan of the tower defense genre, I highly recommend it, but especially so if you have some buddies to play with. There are other great options out there for sure, but a standalone tower defense game that has this solid of a multiplayer package is a rarity from what I've seen.

I had never heard of this game before but I just spent over an hour playing it and I really like it. Another easy buy for me. There is something about tower defense games that just suck me in.

Will definitely try it out when I get back home tonight. If I really like it, I'll pick it up for a fiver. If it doesn't completely suck me in, I'll wait a bit for it to be a holiday deal. I've got a crapload of stuff to play right now anyway.

bread's done
Back