steampowered.com Railworks 2 train sim complete dlc pack $199.99 (reg. $1073)

PublikDefender

CAGiversary!
Railworks DLC Complete Pack (windows pc)

Individual price: $1073.35
Package price: -$873.36

78+% Off All DLC Pack until 2/14 10AM PST: $199.99
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/7282/

System req for railworks 2:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/24010/

• Windows xp/vista/7

• Processor: 1.7 GHz or faster
  • Memory: 512 MB RAM
  • Graphics: 64 MB with Pixel Shader 2.0** (AGP PCIe only)
  • DirectX®: Version 9.0c (Included)
  • Hard Drive: 6 GB of free space
  • Sound: Direct X 9.0c compatible
(note: railworks 2 has gone on sale in the past for $19.99 but is currently $39.99)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='itachiitachi']It kind of seems like the DLC was way overpriced in the first place($21 for 3 trains and 4 level really?)...[/QUOTE]

$21 for 3 trains must seem like a steal to model enthusiasts when a it costs $70+ for a single train car replica.

[quote name='itachiitachi']It kind of seems like the DLC was way overpriced in the first place($21 for 3 trains and 4 level really?) so that they could lower it to just overpriced and make money off people buying something because it is "on sale"[/QUOTE]

I know this is a specialized game, and I'm sure these dl paks aren't expected to sell many copies. But really, how can these prices be justified?

[quote name='Dysheekie']I'm not trying to be an a-hole here, and this will sound ignorant -- but what do all the buttons on trains do? I can see a control for speeding up and slowing down, but what does everything else do?[/QUOTE]

windshield wipers?

[quote name='nasum']windshield wipers?[/QUOTE]

I'm sold. In for all the DLC as well, assuming one of the packs includes winterized wipers.

[quote name='Dysheekie']I'm sold. In for all the DLC as well, assuming one of the packs includes winterized wipers.[/QUOTE]

Heh. The game actually does have wipers. And other buttons for lights and horns. Choooooooooooo! As far as other controls, the brakes and throttle are seperate controls, just like in your car, except you operate them by hand. But that's pretty much it. The engineer's cab is sparse, although each train is modeled differently, which is sort of cool. In advanced mode, you have to look around to find all the controls in the cab... in the simple mode (sort of an "arcade" mode), there is an overlay that is the same for every cab, so you don't have to re-learn each cab's layout.

Maybe you're thinking of all the buttons in an airplane cockpit.

[quote name='mogamer']I know this is a specialized game, and I'm sure these dl paks aren't expected to sell many copies. But really, how can these prices be justified?[/QUOTE]

The fact that the game is specialized is the reason the prices are so high. Because sales are so low they have to charge high prices in order to justify development costs. A realistic train simulator isn't exactly going fly off the shelves. Even if the DLC packs cost 10% of what they do now, I doubt they'd sell more than 2-3 times as many DLC packs as they are now. And how crowded is the train simulation market to drive prices down?

I usually associate model trains with older, creepy men with mustaches.
With that being said, in for 4 for me and my older men pals.

"$200!? What a rip! Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go spend ANOTHER hundred bucks to add a bunch of games to my backlog that I'll never play."

-Every single CAG on this thread

I just bought Sid Meier's Railroads instead. Can often find it on sale for $5-10. Sure, its more of the arcade variety on railroads, but its a lot of fun.

The game itself was a holiday deal on Steam that was pretty damn cheap. The whole revenue for this game is all of the DLC. For 90% of the people the base game is plenty for your choo choo fix.

[quote name='Ilikecoldbeverages']"$200!? What a rip! Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go spend ANOTHER hundred bucks to add a bunch of games to my backlog that I'll never play."

-Every single CAG on this thread[/QUOTE]

Exactly--they'll spend $500 over 3 months on backlog but $150 on a quality peripheral (not this thread but "high-end" PC peripheral threads always get panned) and that is just NUTS!

[quote name='Spokker']I'm not sure how a rail simulator is any more of a retarded waste of time than Call of Duty, but okay.[/QUOTE]

lol. Best Response.

[quote name='turls']Exactly--they'll spend $500 over 3 months on backlog but $150 on a quality peripheral (not this thread but "high-end" PC peripheral threads always get panned) and that is just NUTS![/QUOTE]

I wonder how much these people have spent catching pokemon or how many have a $250 Wii that they've barely touched in the last couple of years.

This is a niche product and if you're into that kind of thing, it seems like a great deal.

[quote name='turls']Exactly--they'll spend $500 over 3 months on backlog but $150 on a quality peripheral (not this thread but "high-end" PC peripheral threads always get panned) and that is just NUTS![/QUOTE]

$150 is nothing for a PC peripheral after you've spent $1000 on train sim DLC.

[quote name='mogamer']I know this is a specialized game, and I'm sure these dl paks aren't expected to sell many copies. But really, how can these prices be justified?[/QUOTE]
Because for a route it's usually one guy modeling miles and miles of real-world track.

Here is an example of an excellent *free* route for Microsoft Train Simulator.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJfGudn1WvY

It recreates the Los Angeles-San Diego corridor, all 121 miles, very accurately (within the limitations of Train Simulator, of course, a 2001 game). It was made by one guy over many months.

The Surfliner cars (the blue ones) he is using cost $20. http://3dtrains.com/products/trainsets/amtrak_surfliner.shtml The Metrolink cars can be found for free.

A lot of work goes into this stuff, and payware is usually higher quality.

[quote name='Ilikecoldbeverages']"$200!? What a rip! Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go spend ANOTHER hundred bucks to add a bunch of games to my backlog that I'll never play."

-Every single CAG on this thread[/QUOTE]

Collecting games for teh backlaog = better than buying 1 assy PC game.

[quote name='Thrinn']A realistic train simulator isn't exactly going fly off the shelves. Even if the DLC packs cost 10% of what they do now, I doubt they'd sell more than 2-3 times as many DLC packs as they are now. And how crowded is the train simulation market to drive prices down?[/QUOTE]

Most of this stuff is coming out of Europe and I imagine most of the sales originate there. There are Japanese train simulators but I don't think they directly compete because they aren't that accessible to non-Japanese. A lot of them are just comprised of videos that are sped up or down on the PS2/PS3 and such and aren't released here.

Right now, Railworks 2 directly competes with Trainz. In a nutshell, the difference is that Railworks 2 focuses more on the real world and Trainz is more like a model train set. Both have their pros and cons. Microsoft Train Simulator is the old standby. It's ancient, which is why it has a ton of payware and freeware content available, but you're stuck with 2001 visuals.

I don't think these games are as niche as you think they are. They aren't million sellers but a few hundred thousand in sales isn't terrible.

The DLC doesn't interest me, but the base sim, I'll keep my eye on that. My boys enjoyed Microsoft Train Sim, but it no longer works even remotely well for us. This (I mean the main sim) might do the trick if it ever goes on firesale again.

[quote name='jab1235']it's not, this one just cost's more :/[/QUOTE]I bought the game for $20 when it was on sale and none of the add-ons. The game essentially costs as much as you want it to cost.

Unlike Mass Effect 2, which puts major plot points into the DLC (Liara romance), you don't need to download any DLC to enjoy Railworks 2.

[quote name='Dysheekie']I'm not trying to be an a-hole here, and this will sound ignorant -- but what do all the buttons on trains do? I can see a control for speeding up and slowing down, but what does everything else do?[/QUOTE]

In Trainz, Railworks 2 and Microsoft Train Simulator, there are three types of trains to play, steam, electric and diesel.

Electric and diesel are very similar and are the easiest. You set your reverser to forward, neutral or backward and then throttle up or down. The gameplay during passenger operations consists of braking correctly at platforms and sticking to the schedule. If you overshoot the platform, for example, loading takes longer and you cause a delay. Freight gameplay consists of picking up the right cargo and delivering it somewhere. Trainz has interactive industries.

Steam trains are more involved. You have to worry about a handful of factors like coal shoveling and steam injection. Most people start with automatic fireman turned on to make it simpler.

The appeal of the game is different for individuals. Some like taking screenshots or video and showing them off. Some enjoy recreating different eras in railroad history. Some like recreating the present day. Some enjoy playing around with the editor. Some find the game relaxing.

Personally, I would enjoy more SimCity-like gameplay elements, such as a persistent world with "sims" that have an origin and a destination, and a financial aspect in which your train operation loses or makes money. This is coming out soon and it looks promising: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ik94pfxg_q4&feature=related

[quote name='Spokker']Because for a route it's usually one guy modeling miles and miles of real-world track.

A lot of work goes into this stuff, and payware is usually higher quality.[/QUOTE]

QFT, and +1 to all the other people who are more familiar with hardcore simming. The expansion packs/DLC/payware addons are quite extensive and also they usually go through great lengths to ensure utmost reality.

The development costs are usually high because of the fidelity demanded by the users, and the teams that work on them are typically small. I am not very familiar with train sims, but I know flight sims and can say that there has been more than one payware add-on that has grown into fully featured professional training tools that are marketed/sold to airlines to help train their real pilots with.

[quote name='funsocaltiger']lol. Best Response.[/QUOTE]
Honestly, I thought it was a terrible response.

But apparently hating on CoD is the cool thing to do these days. This becomes obvious when people use a topic about a train simulator to somehow force an insult about CoD.

I don't think they should be releasing a CoD game yearly, but let's be realistic. There are far worse games out there than CoD. I don't care for the multi-player, but I enjoy to single-player.

Ah but what can you do...

Success always attracts haters.

[quote name='Ryan0991']Honestly, I thought it was a terrible response.[/QUOTE]

I purchased the last 3 COD/MW games on release day and also Platinumed all the COD/MW games with PS3 trophies with the exception of Black Ops (because I don't care for Zombies that much). I just think it is the funniest response.

The bottom line is that there is no more real justification to hate on this than any other game. My favorite thing ever = someone else's idea of the most retarded thing ever.

[quote name='Ryan0991']Honestly, I thought it was a terrible response.

But apparently hating on CoD is the cool thing to do these days. This becomes obvious when people use a topic about a train simulator to somehow force an insult about CoD.

I don't think they should be releasing a CoD game yearly, but let's be realistic. There are far worse games out there than CoD. I don't care for the multi-player, but I enjoy to single-player.

Ah but what can you do...

Success always attracts haters.[/QUOTE]

I play blops AND railworks. Hells yeah.

[quote name='Ryan0991']Honestly, I thought it was a terrible response.

But apparently hating on CoD is the cool thing to do these days. This becomes obvious when people use a topic about a train simulator to somehow force an insult about CoD.[/QUOTE]It could have been any successful game. Pick Madden or Halo and throw it in there instead.

Madden in itself is a simulation. You could say, "Let me spend $60 every year for a roster update and play with fake football players!"

The point is that all of these games are time and money sinks.
[quote name='Guerrilla']Wow- so many haters in this thread. It's not my cup of tea, but it's a great deal for train enthusiasts.[/QUOTE]It never makes sense to say, "I'm not interested in that genre, game sucks lol."

The question to ask when judging a game is, "Does it accomplish what it set out to do?" Despite some problems with AI, I think Railworks does what it does very well. And free updates are being released regularly. Hell, Railworks 2 was a major update to Railworks and it was provided for free to all Railworks owners.

I'm sure this is great if you're into trains.

But I dare anyone to read the descriptions for any of these expansions on the website for more than 30 seconds without wanting to hang yourself out of boredom.

[quote name='Slim Gatsby']
But I dare anyone to read the descriptions for any of these expansions on the website for more than 30 seconds without wanting to hang yourself out of boredom.[/QUOTE]Interest in train simulators is usually an extension of one's interest in trains in general. So if you aren't already interested in trains, you won't enjoy this.

Personally, I'm into mass transit networks in general, so Railworks isn't my ideal game. Something like Transport Tycoon is more my cup of tea.

Interestingly enough, Flight Simulator sees this same kind of criticism. To some, simulating a transatlantic flight (with a little fast forward thrown in) is fun. Even among those in the same hobby, that kind of thing seems boring, and others prefer to fly short hops between small airports. The same is true for railroad simulators. Some like blasting through the countryside in a high speed train, while others prefer freight activities in the railyards.

So even among those who enjoy these types of games, there are plenty of differing opinions about what's fun and what's not.

P.S. Sigged.

P.S.S. While we're talking about trains, can anyone tell me how to get the train not to crash in North Corel? I guess if someone here plays train games they're probably really good at this part.

But I dare anyone to read the descriptions for any of these expansions on the website for more than 30 seconds without wanting to hang yourself out of boredom.

Of course somewhere, on some train forum, there are a bunch of train enthusiasts perplexed over how gamers can be so enamored by the painstaking boredom of grinding, achievement collecting, etc.

[quote name='Ilikecoldbeverages']on some train forum, there are a bunch of train enthusiasts perplexed over how gamers can be so enamored by the painstaking boredom of grinding, achievement collecting, etc.[/QUOTE]Railworks 2 has achievements, haha. Trains plus achievements can really put your Asperger syndrome into overdrive.

Who threw Momma from the train? OK on a serious note, this is a good deal. OP thanks for posting it. I'm not saying that the DLC packages aren't overpriced, but this large of a price slash has to be considered a deal (look at the amount of content and the publishers asking price). I won't be purchasing it, I am happy with my RR Tycoon 2. But the Choo Choo fanatics may be salivating all over this. Lets all grow up a bit and focus on the reason for this site. It isn't for "Cheap" games really, it is for Great Deals on games. And if you are a Rail enthusiast, this would qualify.

[quote name='gcorlett']You should buy the base game. (Yes, I do own the base game.) If you like MS Train Sim, you'll feel right at home with Railworks.

Railworks is a direct descendant of MS Train Simulator, through several generations and different parent companies.

MS Train Simulator -> Rail Simulator -> Railworks -> Railworks2.

It's not terribly "fun", no, but it's an excellent simulator.

I haven't bought any DLC and don't really feel compelled to. There's lots of tracks and trains in the base game for casual rail fans.

The appeal of the DLC, i think, is mainly to get tracks that you have a specific interest in. I would buy an add-on for track that runs through the city where I live, for instance. It's a very rare bird that wants it all, though. $200 is a crazy price. For more content than you could play in a lifetime.[/QUOTE]

I was wondering how many posts it would take to get a serious answer as to who wants this and why it's expensive. Far too many it seems. Thanks for the info though. Helps shed some light on who wants this and why it's $200.

[quote name='typical guy']This is silly expensive. It costs the same as windows OS and that's on sale![/QUOTE]

Talk about retarded waste of money! Doesn't get worse than paying for an OS.

they should make a dlc that lets you do a loop-de-loop. if they do that i'll buy the whole pack.

Bought Railworks 2 during the recent holiday sale, but I haven't gotten around to playing it yet because I've sunk all my playing time into Defense Grid, Torchlight & Super Meat Boy. I'm a big fan of trains though, so I'm sure I'll get around to playing it sooner or later. As for the DLC, if it were $50 (and I had tried and liked the main game) I might consider pulling the trigger. But even the $200 sale price is a little but steep for me. There's a reason that I'm a member of CAG.

Though there's another reason for hesitating on buying this which hasn't been mentioned yet. In the Holiday sale thread, a guy who recommended the game to those interested in trains said that Steam had put the whole package up for sale six months before. I do believe that he said that they had it listed at $200 back then as well. But they're releasing new DLC for this game on a weekly basis. So there's been a couple of dozen DLC packs added since they last had this available at that $200 price point.

When you think about it, the people who bought this bundle last time are now looking at a situation where if they wanna get the DLC that has since been released, they might be better off dropping another $200. It'd be cheaper than buying the packs separately. That's just crazy.

If I ever get Rich (or crazy) enough to drop $200 on a DLC super bundle, I'd probably still wait a year or so until the DLC releases start to dry up.

[quote name='H4Y4TO']I want to know who would pay 1073.35$ for this...[/QUOTE]

Youve spent more than that on fast food or some other frivolous thing that you didnt really need at all over time I guarantee it.

bread's done
Back