Steam's one-day-only sale

[quote name='AwRy108']Wow, way to encourage new users to post on CAG... ...try using a bit more tact next time, tough guy.[/QUOTE]

search_it_noob.gif

sorry but sometimes, no contribution is good contribution.

[quote name='maskedaprentice']my bad, didnt feel like looking. first and last time I post a deal I promise.[/QUOTE]

Nooo, we need you to post deals bro. :cry:

I think that the reasoning behind the post is good enough. Let's say, hypothetically, that no one on CAG noticed the Steam sale? Then Masked would be a hero.

It's an unlikely scenario, yes, but it keeps the probability of finding out about these sales high.

Then again, the sale ended about a half-hour after his post. So, perhaps I'm wrong.

Either way, thank you for the contribution, Masked. We do appreciate your willingness to share sales with others.

[quote name='maskedaprentice']my bad, didnt feel like looking. first and last time I post a deal I promise.[/QUOTE]

No way, keep posting. Ignore those who diss.

Keep posting dude. Use the search if you can, but keep in mind that still won't be a guarantee to not make a repost. You might use different keywords than someone else, do a search, find nothing, then post only to find out it's a repost under a different name. This site is only as good as the deals that get posted, so people should be encouraged to post deals, not get jumped on for it. A simple mod deletion or removal remedies any reposts anyway.

Dont do that, most people do appreciate it.

No, why? this is why these forums are here! it's the whole point, next time just know to search, but just keep in mind that you could save a few people some money with posts like this one!

yeah i have the same issue. i only look at the first page before posting. i think if its a good deal and not on the first page, i think a people will appreciate a repost. most of the time i see expired post because people are replying to old treads. they should have an option to sort by submitted date.

I think we have all done this before, cut the guy some slack. We see a nice deal and in excitement we rush over to post it. Everyone has done this a few times, I'm sure.

The internet and dicks....two things that go hand in had.

I for one just ignore a post if its already been posted. I only flame if people are being blatantly ignorant in a mean way, not just for a double post.

[quote name='shadow763']The internet and dicks....two things that go hand in had.[/QUOTE]

Must... resist... immature... comment.........

PENIS!

[quote name='Vegan']Not only is it a repost, but it's also inaccurate. The sale was already over when this was posted.[/QUOTE]
No, the sale still had about half an hour to go when this was posted.

[quote name='joeyshadows']Is it just me or are steam downloads ridiculously slow? Mirrors edge hit 80% and then dropped to 8kbps.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've had it stall out before like that, although not usually (at least not usually when I'm paying attention to it, so I suppose I might be missing it).

[quote name='joeyshadows']Is it just me or are steam downloads ridiculously slow? Mirrors edge hit 80% and then dropped to 8kbps.[/QUOTE]

That may actually be the fault of your service provider and not Steam. A lot of providers advertise "Burst" speeds to make it sound like downloads are really fast, but "Burst" speeds only work for small downloads (web pages and small media). After that "Burst" runs out you will notice your speed tends to drop significantly (usually 1/2 or less). Then for really long downloads your provider or router may actually be throttling you and thus your speeds get ridiculously slow.

Then again, I dont have Steam so I could be completely off base...

[quote name='TctclMvPhase']That may actually be the fault of your service provider and not Steam. A lot of providers advertise "Burst" speeds to make it sound like downloads are really fast, but "Burst" speeds only work for small downloads (web pages and small media). After that "Burst" runs out you will notice your speed tends to drop significantly (usually 1/2 or less). Then for really long downloads your provider or router may actually be throttling you and thus your speeds get ridiculously slow.[/quote]

Yeah, the cable providers do that "burst" thing a lot, but they'd have to be explicitly throttling you to get speeds as low as 8KB/s. When I had cable it was less than half Comcast's claimed speed (whereas my DSL is over 90%).

You know, I could swear we had actual mods to point out reposts and unneeded posts. Did people get deputized to be Jr. Mods and I wasn't included? I want to be a wannabe Jr. Mod too, damn it! :bomb:

I hate being mean about this, but it seems like the only posts that actually get closed or moved are ones that are actually useful-like for games that are listed in some thousand post thread that you'd have to read as a full time job to ever see. THOSE get canned, which I'm completely opposed to :(

[quote name='DontHurt']yeah i have the same issue. i only look at the first page before posting. i think if its a good deal and not on the first page, i think a people will appreciate a repost. most of the time i see expired post because people are replying to old treads. they should have an option to sort by submitted date.[/QUOTE]

The first page is not really enough for you to determine if it's a repeat - usually, it takes two or sometimes three pages just to cover the last 24 hours.

Whether a repost is justified is almost a subjective thing; I'm in favor of it when the alternative is that the deal is buried in another, absurdly long thread. In this case, though, the thread on the Steam sale has consistently been on the front page of the forums for the past five days, and the deal itself wasn't exactly a secret since it's on the front page of Steam's website, client, and the notifications that pop up when you log in.

But then again, the mods had no problem with reposting KOTOR, L4D, or any other one of the Steam deals as individual threads, so...

It's cool dude, I didn't notice until you posted this thread.

I sometimes wonder if some you people are as condescending in person as you are online.

[quote name='Shampy']It's cool dude, I didn't notice until you posted this thread.

I sometimes wonder if some you people are as condescending in person as you are online.[/QUOTE]

It's hard to come up with direct real-life comparisons to a message board repost, but if we had a company-wide meeting or email at work (as an example) and then someone came up to me later and reiterated everything like it was news... yes I would be.

[quote name='Vegan']It's hard to come up with direct real-life comparisons to a message board repost, but if we had a company-wide meeting or email at work (as an example) and then someone came up to me later and reiterated everything like it was news... yes I would be.[/QUOTE]

You do realize you just summarized middle management, right?

[quote name='52club']You do realize you just summarized middle management, right?[/QUOTE]

Dilbert humor FTW.

Well, tbh, for me, I stopped looking at the Steam thread because it was not only cumbersome as of Tuesday and too long, but the week or so of deals was supposed to be over. Cyber Monday was the last day of the deals, so I figured the thread would die off and people were talking about what deals they had, what ones the wish were there, etc..like it already was when I last checked it. This is all assuming that's the thread where the "original" of these deals was, the one day only sale...IMO if that's the case, I don't have a problem with this "repost" because I'm sure at least some of us stopped reading it knowing Cyber Monday was to be the last deal day.

[quote name='maskedaprentice']my bad, didnt feel like looking.[/QUOTE]

Its not that hard, its on the first two pages.

[quote name='maskedaprentice']first and last time I post a deal I promise.[/QUOTE]

Really? No please, where would CAG be without you. *kiss ass* *kiss ass* Lets all make him king so he keeps on posting. Please post. /endsarcasm

thanks for the post. I don't care if it's a repost. A lot of times I miss out on the big posts that bunch the deals together and like to see them singled out. So you know what, I'm good with this thread, even though deal was dead awhile back haha

[quote name='Vegan']It's hard to come up with direct real-life comparisons to a message board repost, but if we had a company-wide meeting or email at work (as an example) and then someone came up to me later and reiterated everything like it was news... yes I would be.[/QUOTE]

No one's making you come into the thread and read it.

bread's done
Back