Steamworks For PS3?

Cheapskate

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
So it's confirmed that Valve is bringing Steam to the PS3. Anyone think Microsoft might try to work out a deal to bring it to the XBox360 now (and maybe we'll finally see that Team Fortress 2 update for the consoles?)

Seriously, if PS3 ends up getting the TF2 update and the Xbox doesn't, I think I would actually consider jumping ship to the PS3 (despite it being so much more expensive)...

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Cheapskate']So it's confirmed that Valve is bringing Steam to the PS3. Anyone think Microsoft might try to work out a deal to bring it to the XBox360 now (and maybe we'll finally see that Team Fortress 2 update for the consoles?)

Seriously, if PS3 ends up getting the TF2 update and the Xbox doesn't, I think I would actually consider jumping ship to the PS3 (despite it being so much more expensive)...[/QUOTE]

How is ps3 so much more expensive?

[quote name='Costly Chaos']I honestly don't see Steam coming to Xbox 360. From what I've heard, Valve isn't a big fan of Microsoft.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I don't see it happening. The Xbox platform seems way too closed/restrictive for something like Steam. Don't see either Valve or Microsoft wanting it.

It didn't seem like PS3 was getting Steam proper, but rather Steam Cloud support...meaning you can have save files/user configurations stored on Steam servers for access anywhere you have the internet. It's not like we'll be able to register Portal 2 on PS3 and use it on any other platform Portal 2 can be run on...that'd be nice, but I don't see it happening.

Before yesterday, I would've told you Valve prefers the 360 far more than the PS3. Gabe made some comments awhile back regarding Left4Dead 1 and 2 only coming to 360 as having something to do with 360 having a better community (or something).

It's Steamworks and Steam Cloud support, not Steam itself. Things like automatic updates and saving files/configurations in the cloud.

[quote name='panzerfaust']TF2 on a gamepad would be an absolute disaster.[/QUOTE]

i play mw2 and bfbc2 just fine with the dualshock 3 so why wouldnt it work with tf2?

[quote name='livevil']i play mw2 and bfbc2 just fine with the dualshock 3 so why wouldnt it work with tf2?[/QUOTE]

i was just throwing that comment to the wind, if you're already a pad FPS player there's noting to be concerned about.

[quote name='Salamando3000']It didn't seem like PS3 was getting Steam proper, but rather Steam Cloud support...meaning you can have save files/user configurations stored on Steam servers for access anywhere you have the internet. It's not like we'll be able to register Portal 2 on PS3 and use it on any other platform Portal 2 can be run on...that'd be nice, but I don't see it happening.

Before yesterday, I would've told you Valve prefers the 360 far more than the PS3. Gabe made some comments awhile back regarding Left4Dead 1 and 2 only coming to 360 as having something to do with 360 having a better community (or something).[/QUOTE]

yeah i was really hoping he was going to say lfd1 or even just lfd2 would be released on ps3.

[quote name='Spyder187']OP doesnt know shit from shinola[/QUOTE]

Apparently I don't, thanks for point that out in such a kind and civil manner.

All I'd read is that Steamworks will support auto-updates and DLC. I assumed that to mean the sort of updates and/or additional content that Valve regularly adds to titles like Portal or Team Fortress 2 (and hence why Portal 2 for PS3 would be the "better version" in Valve's own words).

[quote name='Vinny']OP's post is full of misconceptions...[/QUOTE]

Are you sure you're not the one with the misconceptions? All I was talking about was the possibility of the console versions of certain Valve games getting the updates that the PC versions do, thanks to this console version Steamworks. Yeah, I called it Steam in the original post...I thought the two were synonymous, and that the console version was simply going to supply the auto updates and DLC minus the whole store aspect.

But it doesn't change the point of my post, which was wondering out loud about the possibility of console Valve games receiving the PC updates.

How is ps3 so much more expensive

Are you joking? The cheapest you can find a brand new PS3 is still around $300, whereas the cheapest you can find a brand new 360 is now $150. I waited to buy a 360 until Walmart had their "Buy an Arcade for $200, and get a $100 Gift Certificate" deal because I'm too much of a cheapass to spend more than $200 on a system (and even then I debate it, unless its $150 or under). So yes, it's much more expensive.

[quote name='Cheapskate']Are you sure you're not the one with the misconceptions? All I was talking about was the possibility of the console versions of certain Valve games getting the updates that the PC versions do, thanks to this console version Steamworks. Yeah, I called it Steam in the original post...I thought the two were synonymous, and that the console version was simply going to supply the auto updates and DLC minus the whole store aspect.

But it doesn't change the point of my post, which was wondering out loud about the possibility of console Valve games receiving the PC updates.

Are you joking? The cheapest you can find a brand new PS3 is still around $300, whereas the cheapest you can find a brand new 360 is now $150. I waited to buy a 360 until Walmart had their "Buy an Arcade for $200, and get a $100 Gift Certificate" deal because I'm too much of a cheapass to spend more than $200 on a system (and even then I debate it, unless its $150 or under). So yes, it's much more expensive.[/QUOTE]

If you're someone who posts on this forum, you're not someone who is personally looking for a 360 Arcade unless you've already got a 360 HDD, which in turn means you have a 360.

[quote name='Cheapskate']So it's confirmed that Valve is bringing Steam to the PS3. Anyone think Microsoft might try to work out a deal to bring it to the XBox360 now (and maybe we'll finally see that Team Fortress 2 update for the consoles?)

Seriously, if PS3 ends up getting the TF2 update and the Xbox doesn't, I think I would actually consider jumping ship to the PS3 (despite it being so much more expensive)...[/QUOTE]

No, 360 will never get steamworks because it's too closed of a platform and after Kinect kills Microsoft's entertainment division this Fall, MS is going third party.

Get a second job to pay for the superior ps3

[quote name='KingBroly']If you're someone who posts on this forum, you're not someone who is personally looking for a 360 Arcade unless you've already got a 360 HDD, which in turn means you have a 360.[/QUOTE]

Well, I'm on this forum, and I was personally looking for a 360 Arcade, so...I don't exist? And then bought a 360 HDD right after (not before), a measly 20GB one using part of the Walmart gift card I got with the Arcade, because for me personally, gaming cheaply is more important than a huge HDD that I'm probably never going to fill up.

[quote name='KingBroly']If you're someone who posts on this forum, you're not someone who is personally looking for a 360 Arcade unless you've already got a 360 HDD, which in turn means you have a 360.[/QUOTE]

Well, I'm on this forum, and I was personally looking for a 360 Arcade, so...I don't exist? And then bought a 360 HDD right after (not before), a measly 20GB one using part of the Walmart gift card I got with the Arcade, because for me personally, gaming cheaply is more important than a huge HDD that I'm probably never going to fill up.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Steam is getting steam cloud, not full on steam. There is a huge difference there, OP.[/QUOTE]

That is true. At the same time, it is getting Steam Cloud, as well as several other SteamWorks features. And Steam Cloud allows you to seamlessly transition save games across platforms and installations. It also allows for automatic updates to be handled by Steam's servers instead of Sony's. Although this isn't full Steam integration, its enough that it should be turning people's heads.

For instance, this could easily allow for Steam achievements in PS3 games. It could also mean Steam stat tracking in PS3 games. There are any number of advantages that Steamworks provides to developers. And Sony has compromised with Valve on this. It would not be unreasonable to expect much heftier support from Valve for the PS3 in the future. And if other Steam regulars are allowed similar freedoms, we just might see more support from them as well. This is definitely worth keeping an eye on.

[quote name='Richard Kain']That is true. At the same time, it is getting Steam Cloud, as well as several other SteamWorks features. And Steam Cloud allows you to seamlessly transition save games across platforms and installations. It also allows for automatic updates to be handled by Steam's servers instead of Sony's. Although this isn't full Steam integration, its enough that it should be turning people's heads.

For instance, this could easily allow for Steam achievements in PS3 games. It could also mean Steam stat tracking in PS3 games. There are any number of advantages that Steamworks provides to developers. And Sony has compromised with Valve on this. It would not be unreasonable to expect much heftier support from Valve for the PS3 in the future. And if other Steam regulars are allowed similar freedoms, we just might see more support from them as well. This is definitely worth keeping an eye on.[/QUOTE]

I can see why Gabe had a huge change of heart!

how long do steam accounts last for? i bought hl2 3 or so years ago through steam but havent used steam since they added that mp zombie game.

[quote name='lokizz']how long do steam accounts last for? i bought hl2 3 or so years ago through steam but havent used steam since they added that mp zombie game.[/QUOTE]

Forever unless you somehow got banned for violating TOS or something. Your account won't be suspended for inactivity, so just log in.

Apparently Valve is shooting for cross-platform co-op for PC/PS3 for Portal 2.

Also remember that Half-Life on PS2 had keyboard support, so there's a good chance Portal 2 on PS3 will support KB/M as well.

[quote name='lokizz']how long do steam accounts last for? i bought hl2 3 or so years ago through steam but havent used steam since they added that mp zombie game.[/QUOTE]

might wanna log in and make sure it didn't get jacked.

bread's done
Back