Stickers on my new game inserts?!?!?!

donssword

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
WTF? I went by the Downtown Short Pump (a true misnomer) Gamestop to take advantage of their 25% off used coupon for this weekend to score 2 "school games" for my kids. The Website let me know they were both in-stock at this particular location -- Math Play and Spelling Challenge. Math Play was used but the Spelling Challenge only came new -- but it was the cheaper one, so I bought them both and used the coupon in the $17.99 used Math Play.

And... damned if the sticky-ass GameStop price sticker wasn't on the insert of both games -- even the new Spelling Challenge. They had removed the instruction booklet, to keep it "new" with the "new" cartridge behind the counter, but damned if they didn't pull out the insert and put a damn price sticker on it.

All the games are like this at this particular location, used and new.

How much time does it take to defile the labels of all their used AND new games? Why would they even do this?

I've never seen that on new stuff, but I absolutely hate it when they put a used sticker on the spine of the insert...they suck taking off, and the older ones, i fear, will rip the insert...it definitly ruins the look of the VG wall

Yeah thats one of the reasons I refuse to shop at gamestop...Gamecrazy uses those stickers on the case(ONLY ON OUTSIDE) that come off easily without any residue. Unlike the GS stickers which leave tons of residue.

The GS near me stopped putting the stickers on the side of the insert, but the regional manager got on their asses for that, so now they're doing it (saw it yesterday on a huge stack of used games).

It's really annoying because sometimes the stickers don't come off nicely (I ripped off some of the white on the spine of FFIII while taking it off). That, and it's more work for the employees instead of just slapping the sticker on the outside spine of the game case.

Also, has anyone noticed that the used stickers are harder to get off cleanly? The last 8 used games I bought I've had some difficulty cleanly removing the sticker from the game case. I remember last year it wasn't too difficult.

Mine has started putting the stickers on the insert spine, but they just leave it in without the back peeled so it falls right out when you buy it.

[quote name='LilPaintballer']i find them easy to take off on the spine of inserts even on the case of the game, just one minute and patience[/QUOTE]

Yeah... if you go slowly, they come right off... no residue or damage, even when they're directly on the insert or box.

Besides, OP, if you bought them at the store, then you should have checked to see if the game was a gutted new copy or not if that bothers you.

I bought Virtua Fighter 4 EVOLUTION and it had the sticker on the spine of the insert. Even when going slowly, part of the color stuck to the back of the sticker, leaving the spine slightly faded.

Honestly, there's really no need for this.

[quote name='Vinny']Yeah... if you go slowly, they come right off... no residue or damage, even when they're directly on the insert or box.

Besides, OP, if you bought them at the store, then you should have checked to see if the game was a gutted new copy or not if that bothers you.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, except for any used games that have an old EB Games tag on underneath. I've given up trying to get those things off.

I believe it must be a company wide mandate, since the last time I was out of the area on business, the Gamestops there even had the stickers on the inserts.

It seems to be a pita, but if you're careful and patient and those stickers AREN'T THAT OLD, they should be no problem to take off.

There's definitely an art to getting those stickers off without having to soak the entire insert in Goo Gone to remove the sticker, but it DOES take the aforementioned patience.

[quote name='Vinny']if you go slowly, they come right off[/QUOTE]

I'm glad you have no trouble. I'm a 42 year old anal retentive former comic book collector who used to be a little OCD. I'm good at taking off stickers -- used to have a can of Bestine I kept in the house from Design school back in the late 80s.

The stuff sticks like oil to an artic penguin, and never comes all the way off of paper. I always have to break out the Bestine. I should not have to expose myself to cancer to pull off a price sticker.

I suspect they are doing it as a way to track sell backs -- and if a game price has not changed when they buy it back, then they don't need a new sticker.

I noticed this was the case on *EVERY* used game and a large majority of new games in my local GS.

I won't be buying games from there again. Easy or not, there's too much risk of ruining or damaging the package for my new or mint/used game. fuck 'em.

[quote name='donssword']I'm glad you have no trouble. I'm a 42 year old anal retentive former comic book collector who used to be a little OCD. I'm good at taking off stickers -- used to have a can of Bestine I kept in the house from Design school back in the late 80s.

The stuff sticks like oil to an artic penguin, and never comes all the way off of paper. I always have to break out the Bestine. I should not have to expose myself to cancer to pull off a price sticker.

I suspect they are doing it as a way to track sell backs -- and if a game price has not changed when they buy it back, then they don't need a new sticker.[/QUOTE]

That's weird... the stickers they've been using as of late don't have much sticky residue. Maybe the game has the old style sticker? Those were impossible to remove without Goo Gone or something.

Are you kidding me? They're putting sticks on the INSERTS now?! Why not just leave them on the cases?

Ugh, GameStop finds another way to screw over their customers.

They did that to my copy of no more heroes, I was used to it being on the outside so I started peeling it and my stupid ass messed up the label :( I prefer the old way.

If it weren't for those stickers, I would always buy used games. But now, I'm not even going to go to gamestop anymore. Screw them.

Why can't they use stickers like barnes and nobles? The stickers they use come off really easily.

It really makes no fucking sense to even put the damn tags on the spines. All the stores I've seen end up just pulling the games off the shelves to scan their front tags when counting inventory.

It's bad enough they have two stickers being slapped on the covers, but now a third one?

The reasoning for that is:

1)When a game is spined on the wall the customer will see the price.
2)The sticker won't peel off as they do if they are on the actual case spine.

I was fairly amused when somebody here suggested that they can track how much they sold it for and that's why they keep the price on the spine, wow, good imagination, man.

[quote name='microbim']The reasoning for that is:

I was fairly amused when somebody here suggested that they can track how much they sold it for and that's why they keep the price on the spine, wow, good imagination, man.[/QUOTE]

1) No, you can see the bar code for the title and not the price
2) I've never seen a sticker peel off in the first place

...and even in the event it were true, none of it could outweigh the fact that it ruins the game insert permanently, and no excuse could change the fact that I will *NEVER* buy a game with a sticker placed on the insert.

That has to be the #1 thing I hate most. Yes, more than crappy trade-in prices and gutting new copies. Those two things, they can be avoided - sell on eBay, and buy elsewhere. Either way, you'll come out ahead.

But with this...there's no way it doesn't truly screw me. With coupons, EBStop is the cheapest way to obtain new used games. If there's a game I can't get another way, I try to peel it off right in front of them. If it won't, I ask for another one.

[quote name='donssword']WTF? I went by the Downtown Short Pump (a true misnomer) Gamestop to take advantage of their 25% off used coupon for this weekend to score 2 "school games" for my kids. The Website let me know they were both in-stock at this particular location -- Math Play and Spelling Challenge. Math Play was used but the Spelling Challenge only came new -- but it was the cheaper one, so I bought them both and used the coupon in the $17.99 used Math Play.

And... damned if the sticky-ass GameStop price sticker wasn't on the insert of both games -- even the new Spelling Challenge. They had removed the instruction booklet, to keep it "new" with the "new" cartridge behind the counter, but damned if they didn't pull out the insert and put a damn price sticker on it.

All the games are like this at this particular location, used and new.

How much time does it take to defile the labels of all their used AND new games? Why would they even do this?[/quote]Thats why I dont shop at GameStop, they have shady business pratcices of selling used games as new etc. TO me a new game is new and sealed!!!bottom line!! Demand a new sealed copy or dont buy!

I have probably been to over a dozen game stops and all but one overstickered on the outside of the case.

The ONE that didn't actually put the sticker on the inside of the cover with the back still attached. I was extremely impressed with that when I got home.... other than the fact that the employees there were trying to convince me that DDR: Mario was a broken game and that they were laughing at me for buying PS2 Rez when they bought Rez for $10 in HD. (Good for you if you have a 360.. I guess)

I just realized there's at least ONE good thing about the GameStop stickers; they're not those big, circular EB Games stickers that were slapped on used games. Holy hell, you'd need two bottles of Goo Gone to get rid of those.

For anybody that has trouble removing stickers from cases, manuals, or cover art, take a blowdryer and heat up the sticker. They come off more easily and will leave less residue.

this is a very annoying thing that ive noticed all stores doing now. so i assume its a company wide thing. if youre lucky youll have a store that doesnt peel the sticker off and just puts it on the inside of the plastic, but i only got that once out of the last 4 or 5 used games i got there.

if you do get a new game like that demand that they give you a 10% discount. there is a specific discount code for "open/show worn merchandise".

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']
if you do get a new game like that demand that they give you a 10% discount. there is a specific discount code for "open/show worn merchandise". [/quote]

Are you sure stickered games count for that discount? I thought it was only on gutted games.

[quote name='Samus']Are you sure stickered games count for that discount? I thought it was only on gutted games.[/QUOTE]

If you can show me a game that has a GS price sticker on the case insert that is not a gutted copy, I'll mail you a cookie.

[quote name='microbim']The reasoning for that is:

I was fairly amused when somebody here suggested that they can track how much they sold it for and that's why they keep the price on the spine, wow, good imagination, man.[/QUOTE]

Actually, a GS employee told me it makes inventory tracking easier with the bar code on the spine. They don't have to pull each game out and scan the back of them. Either way, it's ridiculous, especially on so called "new" titles.

[quote name='Okari']Mine has started putting the stickers on the insert spine, but they just leave it in without the back peeled so it falls right out when you buy it.[/QUOTE]

Same thing here. It's nice that they do that, way better than having to peel it off.

bread's done
Back