Stolen iPod Touch!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohboy10451

Banned
Just got my iPod Touch stolen. I have no idea who it was. I know that there is no way of finding it. Does anyone know what should be my next step? I already changed my passwords for my email addresses.

I would assume Apple has the serial and/or the MAC address of the device registered. The only thing you could hope for is for the idiot that stole it to update the firmware or whatever, so that Apple can at least have a red flag to look for in their net traffic logs.

The ISP of whoever stole it would probably refuse to give you the name and address on the bill unless you had the police department working for you to put some pressure on. You are in NY according to your little info below your avatar, maybe the NYPD deals with this kind of shit often enough to have a procedure? Or maybe they are like any other police department and when you get up to the counter they just tell you "Sorry, we can't do shit about it. Next!"

This is why you should password protect it and set it up so if they get the password wrong ten times, it deletes all the data.. you wouldn't have anything to worry about.

The ISP of whoever stole it would probably refuse to give you the name and address on the bill

What bill?

[quote name='crunchb3rry']The ISP subscription.[/QUOTE]

Oh, you're assuming Apple would cooperate and give up the ISP of the guy who stole it, assuming he even got online with it.

[quote name='Scorch']Oh, you're assuming Apple would cooperate and give up the ISP of the guy who stole it, assuming he even got online with it.[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure if it's reported to the police, and they contact Apple, Apple would.

A good amount of companies won't give your information unless really pressured to or given a court subpeona (which is the only real way they would be required to)

Apple won't do a thing, because they know majority of customers will just buy another iPod

[quote name='Scorch']Oh, you're assuming Apple would cooperate and give up the ISP of the guy who stole it, assuming he even got online with it.[/QUOTE]

Giving up the ISP is not the big problem. It's when you go to the ISP and request they tell you who held that IP address (if it's a dedicated one and not one cycled, as with dial-up). But even the RIAA has trouble with that. I'm sure it's just as much a pain in the ass for the police to get the same kind of info.

Some people have had success with the same scenario from Microsoft though, in regards to stolen Xboxes.

[quote name='davo1224']Doesn't MobileMe have a "Find my iPhone/iPod Touch"?[/QUOTE]

not everyone is able to pay $99 a yr for mobileme

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Giving up the ISP is not the big problem. It's when you go to the ISP and request they tell you who held that IP address (if it's a dedicated one and not one cycled, as with dial-up). But even the RIAA has trouble with that. I'm sure it's just as much a pain in the ass for the police to get the same kind of info.

Some people have had success with the same scenario from Microsoft though, in regards to stolen Xboxes.[/QUOTE]

Why should any company ever give any information to anyone other than the police?

Apple shouldn't give away the ISP of any user and the ISP shouldn't give any personal information.

I lost my touch this past summer on a train through the Czech Republic. Im pretty sure it slid out of my pocket and the 3 Czech girls in the cabin with me took it when i wasnt looking. as soon as they got off i checked but by that time it was too late. all i could do was change my gmail password in the end.

moral of the story: Austrian girls >> Czech girls

If you think you lost it in public someplace you might want to ask customer service/ lost and found and see if anyone turned it in.

[quote name='E_G_Man']If you think you lost it in public someplace you might want to ask customer service/ lost and found and see if anyone turned it in.[/QUOTE]

He lives in the Bronx, i'm sure the meth it was swapped for is long gone as well.

[quote name='Bezerker']He lives in the Bronx, i'm sure the meth it was swapped for is long gone as well.[/QUOTE]

lol exactly

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back