Stolen PSN ID =/

Moonlk

CAGiversary!
Hey, just wanted to know if anyone has ever dealt with someone stealing their PSN id, charging the hell out of your debit card..and changing your psn email id...

Cause that just happened to me. Just wanted some information that might help me, and what to maybe expect out of this.

I've called tech support, but nothing until monday.

Call your bank and try to get the charges reversed, although, since you said its a debit card, its going to be very tough.

I didn't gameshare with anyone. I just turned on the playstation tonight, couldnt sign in. Checked my email, someone charged $70 to my account, and then switched the account email on me. This makes me so mad I can't stand it.

you should make a police report. If the police contact sony, they should be able to catch whoever stole your account.

does anyone else have access to your ps3? also did you click on any messages from people you dont know or possibly sign into your psn account on someone elses ps3?

as far as i know its hard to hack into someones ps3 account unless they did it through one of the ways i mentioned and game sharing. id suggest if your psn pass is the same as your pass for other sites/email you may want to change it.

1. Lock your bank account immediately.
2. Call Sony, if they won't reverse the charges, then you do step 3. If it happened today, then forget this and just call your bank. The time you call and where you are located are good details for the bank to know since they can find out where the actual transaction occurred. Especially when you call on the day of when the unauthorized transaction occurred.
3. Call your bank and file a claim. The reason why you should do step 2 first is because the bank will ask you if you called Sony to see if they were willing to help. Since you're filing the claim, you will just tell them Sony wasn't going to cooperate with you.
4. Wait patiently.

The bank will give your money back temporary until the investigation is finished, so remember not to use it until it's official.

5. Get your PSN account back if not done so already and starting using prepaid PSN cards.

Someone used by debit card number online and bought something from Toys R Us in Philly while I was in Tampa. Dunno how this happen since it's been couple of years since I used by debit card, but after waiting awhile, I was able to get my $50 back. So you shouldn't have a problem get your $70 back.

Just stay confident and don't lie. If Sony doesn't cooperate with your bank, then there is a good chance of the bank favoring you.

Btw, I have Bank of America, but the process should be similar for all banks.

Check your system and see if any of the purchased stuff is there. If it is then you can narrow it down pretty easy. I had $20 in my account waiting on some DLC, when I went to download it there was around $3 left, I went to my downloads and saw all kinds of LBP stuff on the list from a few days before. Didnt take long to figure out which kid that was.

[quote name='Moonlk']Hey, just wanted to know if anyone has ever dealt with someone stealing their PSN id, charging the hell out of your debit card..and changing your psn email id...

Cause that just happened to me. Just wanted some information that might help me, and what to maybe expect out of this.

I've called tech support, but nothing until monday.[/QUOTE]
never happen to me
but i know sony knows what ip spent the money and that person gets banned
i am 100% about this

Thanks for all the help, I appreciate it. As for it being an error on my part, its impossible. My PSN account email has been changed FOUR minutes after the 70 was placed, so I'm locked out of my account AND the money. Doesn't make sense, you know?

[quote name='Moonlk']Thanks for all the help, I appreciate it. As for it being an error on my part, its impossible. My PSN account email has been changed FOUR minutes after the 70 was placed, so I'm locked out of my account AND the money. Doesn't make sense, you know?[/QUOTE]

when you change your password you have 2 diff options getting an email sent to you with a link or using that security awnser dealy but even then to get to that point theyd need your email address and dob you used when signing up.

is there anyone you know whod have access to knowledge of any of that info?

This is very unfortunate. Hope it works out for you and you get to find out who did it. A holes stealing your stuff through the ps3...shit, gotta watch out for everything these days.

Never sold a psn card to anyone. Last time I was on the ps3 was wednesday, and the junk happened on friday.

Did you use a weak PSN password? You should use a password program such as "Password Safe" for Windows/Linux. Or, if you're using a Mac, use your keyring. Make the password to random characters around 20 characters long. Also, make sure you do not use Internet Explorer to access your account via the web--use Firefox with both the No Script and Flash block addons. Clear your cache before and after you log into your PSN account.

As for cleaning up this mess, call Sony ASAP and report the hack. Take control of your account and change all of your passwords for your e-mail, etc. Call your bank and report the unauthorized transactions. File a police report. It may be a good idea to ask your bank to change your account numbers. Hopefully, Sony will be able to track down the IP address of the dirt bag and prosecute the person.

Also, make sure your antivirus is up-to-date and you have your system fully patched and free of spyware.

My guess is it's someone that knows you then... Though, it is incredibly easy to hack someone's email these days... So it could still be random. Especially if you have a weak password in place or have easy to answer security questions. I usually use fake(I know, lol) answers for those, as most basic information about any person can be found pretty easily on the internet.

I'm gonna keep this updated to make this as an example to anyone who has been a victim of fraud, or anyone that thinks they can get away with it.

As for getting my account back, as stated before I cannot. They changed my user ID (Email) so I cannot get into it anymore.

I filed a police report this morning. Unfortunately I cannot contact the bank, and the number that Sony provided me with will not be open until monday. Should I keep fighting on the help hotline until its resolved or try contacting on monday?

[quote name='Moonlk']I'm gonna keep this updated to make this as an example to anyone who has been a victim of fraud, or anyone that thinks they can get away with it.

As for getting my account back, as stated before I cannot. They changed my user ID (Email) so I cannot get into it anymore.

I filed a police report this morning. Unfortunately I cannot contact the bank, and the number that Sony provided me with will not be open until monday. Should I keep fighting on the help hotline until its resolved or try contacting on monday?[/QUOTE]

By getting your account back, we mean contact Sony and tell them that you've gotten hacked and they've changed your e-mail address on you.

if u haven't shared any info anyone, maybe one of your "friends" found out your info and hacked you. just call customer service and change your passwords on ALL your online accounts just in case. I always make sure my password is different for every account i use, and don't use any guessable info. also just write random BS on your security questions Example, Q:what is your mother's maiden name? A: I'm still a virgin:bouncy:. No one is going to guess that. Anyways good luck getting ur account back and tell us how this goes.

This is definitely weird. I tried the video mentioned above...and this was something awkward.

The "alternate" email was (mypassword)@dsf.ds.station.sony.com

Something is awful fishy about this....and by the way, it didn't work.

[quote name='Moonlk']This is definitely weird. I tried the video mentioned above...and this was something awkward.

The "alternate" email was (mypassword)@dsf.ds.station.sony.com

Something is awful fishy about this....and by the way, it didn't work.[/QUOTE]
That does sound really fishy and very odd. I've known people that've used that method of getting their accounts back and it's worked for them, I guess the person that stole your account changed a lot more than just your email.

Was your email address a web-based email account (hotmail, yahoo, gmail, etc....)? If so, did you have a PSN email sitting in there? If so, that is my first guess as to where you were hacked.

As for someone charging your debit card, that sucks but now you know not to leave that information anywhere online. Delete that and never leave it in there. Better yet, go purchase PSN cards then you can only lose what you have placed in there. What I am scratching my head about is why they only spent $70.....that doesn't make too much sense unless they were trying to stay low...but changing your login information messed that up. A lot of what they did does not make too much sense, but they did it....no one said all criminals were smart.

As for getting your account back, sounds like you are SOL until you can get in touch with Sony.

Here's an update. The criminal charged more money to the account bringing me to a whopping negative in the bank account. Called Sony this morning. They immediately gave me the account back, and refunded a small portion of the money. The rest will have to be disputed with the bank since this asshole spent it already. The card has been cancelled, and a new one will be gave to me in two weeks.

I had to give the detectives name and email address so that he can do whatever he has to do (which he didn't seem very happy to help me, that asshole.)

So what did this little criminal use to buy all this mind you?

Ehe. Tekken 6 PSP, Patapon 2, LocoRoco 2, Dynasty Warriors Strikeforce, Monster Hunter Freedom Unite.

Did you have a really easy password (like 123456 or abcdef)? Somebody might have just guessed your password and got it right.

so all he bought were psp games? is it possible to find out who it is by the psp they used to put those games on?congrats on getting your account back btw i hope they find whoever did this. when you d yur new login be sure to mix it up even if its so complex you have to write it down. same thing for your security question like someone mentioned earlier make sure its not easy to figure out.

[quote name='Moonlk']Here's an update. The criminal charged more money to the account bringing me to a whopping negative in the bank account. Called Sony this morning. They immediately gave me the account back, and refunded a small portion of the money. The rest will have to be disputed with the bank since this asshole spent it already. The card has been cancelled, and a new one will be gave to me in two weeks.

I had to give the detectives name and email address so that he can do whatever he has to do (which he didn't seem very happy to help me, that asshole.)

So what did this little criminal use to buy all this mind you?

Ehe. Tekken 6 PSP, Patapon 2, LocoRoco 2, Dynasty Warriors Strikeforce, Monster Hunter Freedom Unite.[/QUOTE]

Glad to see Sony fix the situation quickly on their side. I've heard good and bad things about their CS here. I'm sure you'll get the rest of your money back through the bank

Hopefully this is just an isolated incident rather than some new exploit for hackers. I do encourage everyone here to delete their CC information from their account.

This has happened to me! And usually the way someone does this from my experience is that they would just like with passwords for websites they would track what you typed. The difference is it's a bit tougher to track. But still the way you can take care of it is to think about these questions:
Have you ever shared with someone you didn't know?
Is your password something easy? (One, Sony, favorite game)
Have you taken advice on what your password should be?
Did you register on the PSN site? Or through your actual PS3?
Unfortunately you will have to just wait it out. They will almost positively ask you to confirm your personal details. For me the guy was a amateur so he didn't change the email he only changed the password.
You probably will be in for a bit of a wait as far PSN is concerned. But make sure you sit down and have a talk with your bank about the debit issue. The thing with me is I don't spend on PSN so I can't really be sure about what will happen with the debit.
Of course you might have to wait with that debit issue because you'll have to prove you didn't pay for the crap on there. And there might be trouble with whether you have to pay the charges in the end.

[quote name='D-I-R-T-Y-R-E-D']This has happened to me! And usually the way someone does this from my experience is that they would just like with passwords for websites they would track what you typed. The difference is it's a bit tougher to track. But still the way you can take care of it is to think about these questions:
Have you ever shared with someone you didn't know?
Is your password something easy? (One, Sony, favorite game)
Have you taken advice on what your password should be?
Did you register on the PSN site? Or through your actual PS3?
Unfortunately you will have to just wait it out. They will almost positively ask you to confirm your personal details. For me the guy was a amateur so he didn't change the email he only changed the password.
You probably will be in for a bit of a wait as far PSN is concerned. But make sure you sit down and have a talk with your bank about the debit issue. The thing with me is I don't spend on PSN so I can't really be sure about what will happen with the debit.
Of course you might have to wait with that debit issue because you'll have to prove you didn't pay for the crap on there. And there might be trouble with whether you have to pay the charges in the end.[/QUOTE]

Most of your questions have already been asked, and the bank is on my side when it comes to this. I've never filed a dispute before.

The big problem is my police department. They're going to be very lazy when it comes to this, and I will be on their ass big time about this. They're not very good at what they do, unfortunately. They had the balls to tell me nothing would come out of this. On the other hand, Sony is wanting to work with the PD and catch whoever done this.

You could call the FBI and see if they may have jurisdiction (especially if the crime was accross state lines). Oh, you could try the state police. Maybe tell them that your local police department is not helping you.

[quote name='Moonlk']I didn't gameshare with anyone. I just turned on the playstation tonight, couldnt sign in. Checked my email, someone charged $70 to my account, and then switched the account email on me. This makes me so mad I can't stand it.[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry to hear about it. I suggest you to buy a Playstation Network card next time. I don't trust Playstation Network account with my own credit card for a reason.

Hi. Just wanted to share my story. My PSN account was hacked last week - my id and password wouldnt work so i contacted PSN. They told me someone hacked into it and spent £100. They suspended the account and later gave me new password. Called my bank to cancel the credit card. PSN said they would investigate into it - got call from them yesterday telling me that they are currently tracing who did it and will pursue further action against them. They also told me that they will not be refunding the £100 and cited the Terms of Service to me, i.e. they are not responsible for any unauthorised transactions. Also told me that I could call police and/or contact Bank to request charge back, but if I request a charge back from bank my account will be blocked/banned permanently as my account would show £-100 balance. I've got a few games/DLCs in my account which I had bought previously and this will all be lost. This is really not fair and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions to prevent my account from being blocked and to get my £100 refund. Also, similar to other post, the unauthorised transactions were all for PSP which includes Tekken 6 and some other random games. Is there any way to transfer my previous purchases (eg COD maps) and my saved games/prestiges to another account? Thanks in advance for your help. NB. I live in the UK.

[quote name='Moonlk']Most of your questions have already been asked, and the bank is on my side when it comes to this. I've never filed a dispute before.

The big problem is my police department. They're going to be very lazy when it comes to this, and I will be on their ass big time about this. They're not very good at what they do, unfortunately. They had the balls to tell me nothing would come out of this. On the other hand, Sony is wanting to work with the PD and catch whoever done this.[/QUOTE]

Let me throw this out - I am not in law enforcement nor am I defending them. What I am saying is based purely on my experience with the system and from playing ball with numerous officers and sheriffs in the past.

Your problem is that you are bringing a small case up. If they had stolen enough for it to be a felony in your state, it would raise more eyebrows. My guess is they pilfered under whatever a felony count is and this is not drawing as much attention as a felony case would - unless they end up linking the person to a bunch of cases. They will get around to your case, it is just not at the top of the list. Beyond that, these matters rarely get resolved in any expedited manner.

[quote name='annoyed_annoyed']Hi. Just wanted to share my story. My PSN account was hacked last week - my id and password wouldnt work so i contacted PSN. They told me someone hacked into it and spent £100. They suspended the account and later gave me new password. Called my bank to cancel the credit card. PSN said they would investigate into it - got call from them yesterday telling me that they are currently tracing who did it and will pursue further action against them. They also told me that they will not be refunding the £100 and cited the Terms of Service to me, i.e. they are not responsible for any unauthorised transactions. Also told me that I could call police and/or contact Bank to request charge back, but if I request a charge back from bank my account will be blocked/banned permanently as my account would show £-100 balance. I've got a few games/DLCs in my account which I had bought previously and this will all be lost. This is really not fair and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions to prevent my account from being blocked and to get my £100 refund. Also, similar to other post, the unauthorised transactions were all for PSP which includes Tekken 6 and some other random games. Is there any way to transfer my previous purchases (eg COD maps) and my saved games/prestiges to another account? Thanks in advance for your help. NB. I live in the UK.[/QUOTE]
They will ban your account permanently if you initiate a charge back. There is no way to transfer purchased contents to another account. You will have to decide if you want to lose your earned trophies and purchased contents or give up the £100.

[quote name='annoyed_annoyed']Hi. Just wanted to share my story. My PSN account was hacked last week - my id and password wouldnt work so i contacted PSN. They told me someone hacked into it and spent £100. They suspended the account and later gave me new password. Called my bank to cancel the credit card. PSN said they would investigate into it - got call from them yesterday telling me that they are currently tracing who did it and will pursue further action against them. They also told me that they will not be refunding the £100 and cited the Terms of Service to me, i.e. they are not responsible for any unauthorised transactions. Also told me that I could call police and/or contact Bank to request charge back, but if I request a charge back from bank my account will be blocked/banned permanently as my account would show £-100 balance. I've got a few games/DLCs in my account which I had bought previously and this will all be lost. This is really not fair and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions to prevent my account from being blocked and to get my £100 refund. Also, similar to other post, the unauthorised transactions were all for PSP which includes Tekken 6 and some other random games. Is there any way to transfer my previous purchases (eg COD maps) and my saved games/prestiges to another account? Thanks in advance for your help. NB. I live in the UK.[/QUOTE]
I'm not sure how the UK handles it but here in the States if the person is caught, prosecuted and plea out, part of their agreement(which varies from State to State) is usually to repay what they stole as restitution. This is done through the courts, usually. You may get your money back but you're going to have to follow it through and it'll take a while with no real guarantees.

Eat the £100 and try to find the person and sue them for the money, plus all of your hardship.

The only reason my account wasn't banned for disputing my charges was I was instructed from Sony's security division to dispute what they could not refund me. Which because the asshole spent $110 on crappy psp games =/

This thread has sort of freaked me out. I'm going to change my passwords and buy pre-paid PSN cards instead of using my debit.

You shouldn't use a debit card anyway. At least with a credit card, they have a good fraud department and will track the bastards down. If you do find the person who did this, you must sue them and make them pay, otherwise this vicious cycle will continue. People do this crap b/c they can get away with it.

I set the fraud alert off on several of my credit cards trying to add funds to my PSN wallet, so I just defaulted to using PSN cards. It really is the way to go, too bad it's really annoying to have to go to a store to buy cards. I did use a Discover branded giftcard once though, that's always another option.

The funds are starting to come back into the account, thank goodness.should have all this straightened out by friday.

[quote name='Frank Deluded']This thread has sort of freaked me out. I'm going to change my passwords and buy pre-paid PSN cards instead of using my debit.[/QUOTE]

Me too. I'm taking my Credit Card info off of PSN and going with pre-paid cards from now on.

Too bad M$ doesn't let you erase your CC info on the 360.

I NEVER use a debit card online, EVER. I always use a credit card too.

I'm glad many of you are taking a safer approach to what COULD happen to you online, especially in regards to the cards and the accounts linked to them. Gosh, if I would've seen a topic like this, I would've freaked out as well. Just imagine being the poor guy that spent his weekend off dealing with this...

bread's done
Back