Stop and Shop will buy GCs from any major retailer for 80%.

justins76

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
Just got the word from corporate this program is set to launch in the Fall. You will be able to sell Stop and Shop your GC from any major retailer (no list given) and recieve 80% value in a Stop and Shop GC. You can use it on gas,cigarettes, and other GCs including Vise, Mastercard ect.

Who the hell would do this? Its throwing away money. Even if you have a gift card for a store that isnt around any major retailer accepts them on their website.

I love the "just got the word from corporate" as if youre someone important they actually talk to directly and report to.

And finally.....this isnt a deal in any way shape or form. You lose money and in my book that isnt a deal at all. They are just saying "give me your 10 dollars and ill give you back 8 dollars".

Last edited by a moderator:
this isnt a deal in any way shape or form. You lose money and in my book that isnt a deal at all.
It can be for people who don't want to use gift cards at specific retailers/stores they do not like/have some bad history with. For example, if I got a $20 iTunes card from a family member, I would not want it because I don't use iTunes and do not intend on using that said service in the future. However, if I just said, "Yeah, thanks for the gift, but I don't like iTunes, can I just have $20?", that could, and would likely be considered very rude.

I've got a $20 BestBuy gift card from my brother who gave it to me last Christmas, and I intend on holding on to it until I find something I actually want, but for other people who just want some cash without being a little shit to the person who gave the gift to them, this is a fine alternative. Of course, there are some cases where it's okay to be direct with the person giving you a gift about some problems regarding their gift(s), but many times, it is not.

You can get more money from your gift card(s) by trading on the CAG trading subforum here, though:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forum/20-trading/

Last edited by a moderator:
While it's not a great deal for someone more savvy and patient who can sell it on their own for say ~90% value, I think it's a good option when in need of quick funds. Faster than eBay and CL.

bread's done
Back