"Stop renting, start buying" program from GameStop

Dirt

CAGiversary!
Feedback
18 (95%)
Forgive me if this is old...

Ok so I went to Gamestop last night and bought a new copy of Red Dead Revolver for 20 bucks and the guy tells me they have a new deal called 'Stop Renting Start Buying' and he says if you buy a new 20 dollar game you can bring it back within a month along with the receipt and they will give you 12 dollars for it. He said it was basically like renting it for a month for 8 dollars.

Seeing as how at the Movie Gallery next door to the Gamestop it is 5 dollars for only 5 days [which would come out to 30 dollars for a month] that is a pretty good deal.

The obvious downfall however is you can only do this with 20 dollar games ... hence ... older games. So no renting brand new 50 dollars games for a month for 8 dollars.

So I guess in the end to make a long story short if you want to rent a brand new game go to a regular rental place. If you want to rent an older game go to Gamestop.

:bouncy:

So you basically buy a new, 20$ game at Gamestop, and if you return it within 30 days, they buy it back from you for 12 bucks? Do they give you cash or store credit?
That does sound pretty good, much better than buying a game, not liking it, then 'trading it in' for the 2-6 bucks they would probably give in trade for it.
And Sean, what you're saying is buy a 50-buck game, 'return' it within 30 days for 35 or so? Which is about the same ratio as the 20 in-12 back deal.

So let me get this straight. Gamestop gives $12 credit for $20 retail games?

So if I found a bunch of cheap ass $5 games somewhere that gamestop sold for $20, I could get $12 each credit for them there?

Or is it like you have to have bought it from them?

[quote name='jer7583']So let me get this straight. Gamestop gives $12 credit for $20 retail games?

So if I found a bunch of cheap ass $5 games somewhere that gamestop sold for $20, I could get $12 each credit for them there?

Or is it like you have to have bought it from them?[/QUOTE]

OP says you need a receipt

I heard GameStop had originally planned a "Stop buying at EB, start buying here" program but axed it and bought EB instead. :lol:

(Yeah I know, that joke was so funny everyone forgot to laugh.)

Seriously though, that's not bad.

anytime a gamestop employee is talking.. my usual strategy is to not listen, combined with head nodding and thinking about other things.

then i follow with 'is there a strategy guide for this?? no i don't want it, i was just curious if there was one. thanks!'

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Who wants to take bets that they will re-seal the games and sell them as new?[/QUOTE]

I bet they won't. I'm not stating it won't ever happen, but as a general rule, it won't.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Who wants to take bets that they will re-seal the games and sell them as new?[/QUOTE]

fuck , they wont even reseal them....

This should be in Cheap Ass Deals, not here. Regardless, it was mentioned before, but no thread was started. This should be moved.

You don't understand how they make money, right? Uhh..
EB/GameStop/Game Crazy makes MONEY off of USED GAMES. Example, MARIO GOLF
Retail $19.99, Purchased from Nintendo for $17.00, Profit = $2.99
Used Copy = $17.99, Purchased from Customer for $7, Profit, $10.99

EVERY videogame store wants to sell used. Thats where they make 75% more on each sale compared to new. For them to buy a game USED and CONVERT to new would be retarded, considering $20 Players Choice titles don't sell all that well when used one's can be gotten for $3-5 cheaper, or less with a discount card. All stores WANT to improve there TRADE and USED numbers, as again, it makes them MONEY. There is NO way they would ever convert a USED to NEW. Now, NEW to USED has been done, when getting rid of old PS1, Dreamcast etc. games.

[quote name='gizmogc']You don't understand how they make money, right? Uhh..
EB/GameStop/Game Crazy makes MONEY off of USED GAMES. Example, MARIO GOLF
Retail $19.99, Purchased from Nintendo for $17.00, Profit = $2.99
Used Copy = $17.99, Purchased from Customer for $7, Profit, $10.99

EVERY videogame store wants to sell used. Thats where they make 75% more on each sale compared to new. For them to buy a game USED and CONVERT to new would be retarded, considering $20 Players Choice titles don't sell all that well when used one's can be gotten for $3-5 cheaper, or less with a discount card. All stores WANT to improve there TRADE and USED numbers, as again, it makes them MONEY. There is NO way they would ever convert a USED to NEW. Now, NEW to USED has been done, when getting rid of old PS1, Dreamcast etc. games.[/QUOTE]

I understand they want to buy and sell used, but if they can re-sell it as new for $20 instead of $17 why wouldn't they do that? Even though CAG may be more interested in buying used for a few bucks off, I would guess the majority of gamers would buy new and not even notice that it was resealed.

Becuase they still 'lose' money. The computer will reigtser that used product sold as 'new' therefor it posts in there computer, which goes to the bosses, as a $3 profit, not $10. They would rather take the $3 'loss' and make a $10 'profit'. Its kinda hard to explain, but all stores want there used sold VERY high, not there new.

[quote name='gizmogc']Becuase they still 'lose' money. The computer will reigtser that used product sold as 'new' therefor it posts in there computer, which goes to the bosses, as a $3 profit, not $10. They would rather take the $3 'loss' and make a $10 'profit'. Its kinda hard to explain, but all stores want there used sold VERY high, not there new.[/QUOTE]

I got it now. It's a technical loss not necessarily an actual loss. Kinda.

Neat idea. If they were giving cash back I might do it. I have to assume you're gonna get credit though right? And of course I never pay full price for my games anyway :evil:

And speaking of EB + GS making more on the used games (which is obvious if you think about it) I was floored when an EB employee at a local mall asked a dude buying a POed copy of Halo 2 for $45 if he wanted a new one for just $5 more! (This was a while back.) I've ALWAYS heard this spun the other way 'You can buy it used and save $5!' Either the employee was on the dumb side or there was some sort of personal angle going on there.

Not to knock the OP, but if it's LIKE renting for $8 a month, then isn't it STILL renting?

I wish they would do that for $50 games. Would it work to give $35 within a month for a new game?

Or you can just buy a used game, play it, and return it within 7-8 days and get your entire refund back. You could then use the credit to buy another game, and so on and so on.

This isn't very moral, but it could be a good deal for the poor.

I dont know about you guys, but once I buy a game I like to keep it. I mean, dont you like to own a piece of history? :)

Isn't resealing a game and selling it as new illegal because it isn't new? I thought that was why GameStop had to stop their 7 day no questions asked return policy. They would take games back, give you your full money back and resell it as new. But it wasn't new, so they were sued for lying (or something like that). That's just what I've heard, but it would seem highly shady/suspect if a company was claiming a game was "new" after being played for 30 days.

[quote name='KingSpike']Isn't resealing a game and selling it as new illegal because it isn't new? I thought that was why GameStop had to stop their 7 day no questions asked return policy. They would take games back, give you your full money back and resell it as new. But it wasn't new, so they were sued for lying (or something like that). That's just what I've heard, but it would seem highly shady/suspect if a company was claiming a game was "new" after being played for 30 days.[/QUOTE]

I bought an obviously re-sealed game at Fry's for trade-in to Gamerush (so I didn't care plus I was curious) and it was definitely used. Very good condition, but used nonetheless. It was discounted by 49 cents from the other copies but it didn't say used or returned - just "discounted". Not sure how that happens, since Fry's won't take back opened software unless it is defective.

bread's done
Back