Store chains you miss that went out of business?

LOL. All that's going through my mind right now is a mental image of "OWNED" in big bold red letters on everyone of those stores.

The best store around here was beyond a doubt was HILLS, it was such a great store becuase it was the first to actually clearance items..

at christmas time when they had the games right up front on display I'd wait and play them all.. Atari, Coleco, Intellivesion, Nintendo and Vetrex

Next would be Hecks

and our mall which was the first local indoor mall was filled with great shops
Murphy's Mart
Circus World - toys
Funway Freeway - arcade
Hot Sam's
Record Exchange
Cole's
Baskin' Robbins

it was a 12/13 y.o. dream and it was great to have friends who ran/owned the arcade...

I miss Caldor and Clover.

First page posts reminded me of Best as well...I hated that one though, stuff was usually dented and overpriced.

Adray's! Thats where i got my street fighther 2 SNES game. I remember taking the bus to get there right when the store opens so i can get back home and play my game. Miss that place.

[quote name='Darwin23']Adray's! Thats where i got my street fighther 2 SNES game. I remember taking the bus to get there right when the store opens so i can get back home and play my game. Miss that place.[/quote]

Ohhh, I nearly forgot about that place! I remember the store not looking so hot --just a step away from Swap Meet decor-- but they had some great deals like a SNES Super Advantage BOGO.

Let's see....

Waldensoftware and Babbages: Met lots of friends there in highschool and still keep up with a couple.

Heck's: a department store like Walmart and with all the transformers a kid could dream of.

Hills: This is where I got all my 7800 games....that's right, I was a fucking rebel and didn't own a Nintendo. I had a lousy Atari 7800.

Aladdin's Castle: Damn, I miss arcades :(

Childrens Palace: Loved taking the bikes and scooters for a spin around the store. No one ever said anything.

Natural Wonders: sure everything was overprized, but damn I can just relax thinking of that store.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']You don't mean JJ Newberry's by any chance, do you?http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newberry's
[/quote]

Yeah, I meant JJ Newberry's.

The Eastport Plaza store here in Portland (about five blocks from me, opened with the mall in the sixties and stayed open until the mall was closed and demolished and replaced with a strip center in the late 90s) had two floors. The lower floor was pretty cramped and looked like it might have originally been a storage room. I remember getting a Dr. Mario sticker set there for a buck one time.

Here's a 60's-era postcard of the Eastport Plaza store and restraunt I found online a while ago. The restraunt was gone by the late 80s but I believe the store's lunch counter remained open until the end (at least that's what I remember, anyways).

bread's done
Back