Stores holding back 360's?

Negative

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
Well, I scored a 360 last night, using some old aquaintances from my old college job at a certain Wal-mart. After selling me one, and being very hush-hush about it, turns out they have around 20+ sitting on a pallet in the back. They claim to have been told these 360's CANNOT be sold until January 6, after the Christmas rush. I wonder if this order came directly from Microsoft (ebay hoarders), I mean, this is the time these things would sell. Maybe other stores are doing the same?

makes no sense to me. the rush is over on ebay because its too late to get it by christmas. dont see the point of waiting until the holidays are over for microsoft to release more. everybody loses. the parents aren't going to buy the system since the holiday is over and microsoft is losing out on possible software sales because of it. if its true, then its very dumb.

[quote name='Scorch']:roll::roll::roll:

If you believe that, i've got a bridge in France to sell you.[/QUOTE]

Actually, his idea isn't that farfetched. I know for a fact a certain retailer had over 900 in a distribution warehouse just a couple of days ago.

[quote name='neocisco']Actually, his idea isn't that farfetched. I know for a fact a certain retailer had over 900 in a distribution warehouse just a couple of days ago.[/QUOTE]ive been hearing that "900 in a warehouse somewhere" story since launch. theirs no advantage for them to sell them after new years. yesterday and today would have been a perfect release if they really did have them available.

I mean, the guy calls me at 8pm on a Thursday, and tells me if I am still interested in one. I make the drive and he delivers. He brings the box from the back, scans it, puts it in a concealed box, and even walks me outside w/ it. Tells me they have been instructed not to sell till January, but since they know me from way back when, they can let one go. I just find it funny.

[quote name='thagoat']ive been hearing that "900 in a warehouse somewhere" story since launch. theirs no advantage for them to sell them after new years. yesterday and today would have been a perfect release if they really did have them available.[/QUOTE]

I work for said retailer and I checked the stock myself. It was there, believe me. Why, I'm not sure. Remember, there will be a lot of Christmas $ to be spent and people will still want 360's even though it's after 12/25. This could be a financial move on the retailers' part to try to increase some purchasing before the end of the fiscal year.

[quote name='neocisco']I work for said retailer and I checked the stock myself. It was there, believe me. Why, I'm not sure. Remember, there will be a lot of Christmas $ to be spent and people will still want 360's even though it's after 12/25. This could be a financial move on the retailers' part to try to increase some purchasing before the end of the fiscal year.[/QUOTE]

I still don't get it. How is NOT selling a 360 a good financial move exactly? Theoretically, they could sell all of them in one day AND sell a lot of games and accessories too. THAT would be the best financial move, not letting them sit in a warehouse until after x-mas.

The only thing I can think of is that they want to start the new year with strong sales numbers they can show the stock holders. They'd also show the 360 in their flyer to get the stock sold out quickly.

[quote name='thorbahn3']The only thing I can think of is that they want to start the new year with strong sales numbers they can show the stock holders. They'd also show the 360 in their flyer to get the stock sold out quickly.[/QUOTE]

I think fiscal years end in March for retailers, not Janurary.

[quote name='SolidSnakeX99']I mean, the guy calls me at 8pm on a Thursday, and tells me if I am still interested in one. I make the drive and he delivers. He brings the box from the back, scans it, puts it in a concealed box, and even walks me outside w/ it. Tells me they have been instructed not to sell till January, but since they know me from way back when, they can let one go. I just find it funny.[/QUOTE]

If that's true, how does he explain that he sold an XBox 360 before January? Either he charged you for something else and someone has to explain how a 360 magically disappeared from the store or he explains to his manager why he went against a company directive to not sell the 360. Either way, it looks like you just got someone fired because you had to have a 360. I'm not calling you a liar but the story doesn't make much sense, unless you slipped him a couple twenties and he was just a holiday worker anyway.

It's a great time to be a cheap ass gamer.

[quote name='SolidSnakeX99']I mean, the guy calls me at 8pm on a Thursday, and tells me if I am still interested in one. I make the drive and he delivers. He brings the box from the back, scans it, puts it in a concealed box, and even walks me outside w/ it. Tells me they have been instructed not to sell till January, but since they know me from way back when, they can let one go. I just find it funny.[/QUOTE]

Here is the thing. I worked at a walmart, your friend to ring the "forbidden" xbox would have to put in 2 codes that recognize him as him. They do this because they monitor every single thing. If you rung a coupon twice by accident, they would come and talk to you the next day. The only thing I can think of that would keep them from selling them is either M$ order or they want all of the people who got gift cards for xmas a chance to get one. Maybe you friend likes you? or needs a solid from you in the future. He's not really risking his job. When I worked at walmart you could piss on customers then set the store on fire. Then some "manager" that is 49th in line for store manager would come by and tell you the so-so told so-so that so-so doesn't want you to do that.

I know our Wal-Mart has plenty in the back - none have been sold out, but my friend (an employee) found out by accident. Totally absurd for them to hold it back until January.

This 360 launch has defied all logical business and financial sense. I've learned so far that if you have a supply of the hottest toy/product, you put it on the shelves and let it sell. It makes no sense to put something on the shelf that COULD sell while you leave a product in the wharehouse that WILL sell. Alot of companies are seeming to do this for some reason. This strategy will actually make retailers LOSE money because of inflation and the compound interest that money could've made in bonds, savings accounts, or whatever financial instruments mega-companies use to hedge against inflation. Simply put the 15 million dollars (just a number to throw out) Wal-Mart will make from the 360 will have less purchasing power next month that it will this month. So in January, Wal-Mart might only be able to purchase 15 metric tons of Chinese made clothes instead of the 16 metric tons it could've purchased this month. So Wal-Mart would make less profit off their initial investment or they raise prices on their clothes to make up the margin. Or, Wal-Mart could've bought gold to hedge against inflation like many countries, companies, and individuals are across the world. Gold should be at a significantly greater price in the next few months, so Wal-Mart stands to lose money again. Who every thought up this strategy at the corporate level should be fired immediately and banned from ever working in the business sector again. I understand why Microsoft and Madison Avenue wants an artificial shortage but I don't see how this helps the mega-retailers bottom line. Sorry for being so wordy, but this situation really confuses me. Anyone know anybody at the corporate level in Wal-Mart?

It's a great time to be a cheap ass gamer.

I know for a fact a certain retailer will have 360's in January, are instructed to save a certain number, and it will be on the cover of a certain ad.

[quote name='neocisco']I work for said retailer and I checked the stock myself. It was there, believe me. Why, I'm not sure. Remember, there will be a lot of Christmas $ to be spent and people will still want 360's even though it's after 12/25. This could be a financial move on the retailers' part to try to increase some purchasing before the end of the fiscal year.[/QUOTE]

From my understanding that certain retailer (that I work for too) just got that amount in a few days ago and they have been sending the product to stores (as mine got 10 yesterday, which went all within minutes). That same location number showed 0 in earlier this week as well.

The theory of intentional holiday scarcity is this:
Parents promise their children a 360 for christmas. No 360s are to be found. Parents buy something else because they simply cannot let christmas come without any gifts. After the holidays are over, plenty of 360s are available. The parents, fulfilling their promise, purchase a 360 in addition to the christmas gifts they have already given.

An executive of the Tiger Electronics admitted they did this exact thing with the Furby and that it was, indeed, successful in increasing sales.

[quote name='Demolition Man']From my understanding that certain retailer (that I work for too) just got that amount in a few days ago and they have been sending the product to stores (as mine got 10 yesterday, which went all within minutes). That same location number showed 0 in earlier this week as well.[/QUOTE]

:twisted: I love it when we're secretive about where we work. Oh, wait, it's in your sig.#-o :lol:

[quote name='Scorch']:roll::roll::roll:

If you believe that, i've got a bridge in France to sell you.[/QUOTE]

So hey Scorch, I'd like more info on that bridge now. :lol:

[quote name='Zing']The theory of intentional holiday scarcity is this:
Parents promise their children a 360 for christmas. No 360s are to be found. Parents buy something else because they simply cannot let christmas come without any gifts. After the holidays are over, plenty of 360s are available. The parents, fulfilling their promise, purchase a 360 in addition to the christmas gifts they have already given.

An executive of the Tiger Electronics admitted they did this exact thing with the Furby and that it was, indeed, successful in increasing sales.[/QUOTE]

Very good point, Zing. The thing is, I thought there was a cut off when this ceases to be effective. A furby is a low cost item that won't kill a paycheck in January. Most people I know don't have funds for a 500 dollar purchase in January. The 360 is just too expensive to justify getting it because of a "promise". This strategy should ultimately backfire, but then again I've underestimated parents willingness to spoil their kids rotten before.

Merry Christmas everyone and I hope you got a bunch of cheap games like I did!

Don't forget that a "shortage" also provides a ton of free publicity/advertising as well. If there was no shortage, then news stations would not run stories including it among the hot holiday toys. Nobody would line up overnight just for a second shipment of it, and that would not be covered in a news story. Don't forget that a lot of people buy something just on word of mouth or because they see everyone else buying it, even if they know nothing about it. Just look at the Ipod. Retailers and Microsoft have created an image for the 360 as something that you need immediately because who knows when you could get another chance to buy it. If the news shows Joe Consumer that some people are paying $1000 for one of these thing on ebay, then what is Joe doing sitting there watching this when he could be out there getting one for a song at $400. Perhaps this free advertisement and notoriety is worth more to Microsoft than the additional units of hardware and software that could be sold.

bread's done
Back