Stranglehold PS3 Collector's Edition

There are no good deals. This version of the game suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks. There are sound glitches, wacky framerate glitches, awkward controls, and lots of other little annoying things about it.

Also, the included movie in the collector's edition is shit. Barring the questionable video, the audio is almost always out of sync with the video and makes the movie feel weird.

The PC and 360 versions are so much better. I love Stranglehold, but I hate the PS3 version.

[quote name='Chuplayer']There are no good deals. This version of the game suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks. There are sound glitches, wacky framerate glitches, awkward controls, and lots of other little annoying things about it.

Also, the included movie in the collector's edition is shit. Barring the questionable video, the audio is almost always out of sync with the video and makes the movie feel weird.

The PC and 360 versions are so much better. I love Stranglehold, but I hate the PS3 version.[/quote]

I never had any problems with the PS3 version.

If you can find it, pick it up. Definitely worth it. Best bet is probably Ebay.

[quote name='daladezman']damn is that from personal experience? ive been looking for this game myself[/QUOTE]
Absolutely from personal experience. In fact, I thought my PS3 was broken, but the things that happened in that game that made me think it was broken only happened with this one game and never happened again since I stopped playing it. That was nearly a year ago, and I'm confident my PS3 is just fine now.

[quote name='daladezman']also could be a bad disc lol[/QUOTE]
For the gameplay parts, maybe. For the movie, definitely not. It was confirmed by Midway themselves on Midway's forums (don't know if they're still around) that they got remastered video but not remastered audio. That caused syncing issues.

the movie on the disk is a good movie but its a dub version of the film. the game itself is ok but if youre looking for it because you really want to play it id try renting it first. but you can find it pretty cheap all over new and used.

I never had any problems. It's a fun game the first time through but has little replay value. I'd suggest merely renting it, unless you really want to see Hard Boiled, which isn't very high quality HD.

[quote name='lokizz']the movie on the disk is a good movie but its a dub version of the film. the game itself is ok but if youre looking for it because you really want to play it id try renting it first. but you can find it pretty cheap all over new and used.[/QUOTE]

It does have Cantonese audio, but the subtitles are dubtitles, IIRC, and they're really tiny.

[quote name='Chuplayer']There are no good deals. This version of the game suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks. There are sound glitches, wacky framerate glitches, awkward controls, and lots of other little annoying things about it.

The PC and 360 versions are so much better. I love Stranglehold, but I hate the PS3 version.[/QUOTE]

I can confirm the glitchy behavior on the PS3 version. The game even locked up my entire PS3 a few times while I was playing. The bonus movie is tolerable, but the english dub is definitely out of sync. I found that things matched up better if you listen to the original Cantonese audio track. As for deals, I got the collector's edition for $20 new at Best Buy awhile back, so it's already on the cheap side if you're looking for deals. Regular editions can of course be had for under $10 though, which might be the route to go with this one since the only bonus is a half baked version of Hard Boiled.

Wow, I actually did have a lot of errors like that when I was playing the demo version of the game (sound messing up, freezing my PS3), but I assumed that the retail disc would be free of them since few people complained about it online. The movie transfer isn't sounding too great from your descriptions either. I wanted to pick it up since I'm a big John Woo and Chow Yun Fat fan ("A Better Tomorrow" is one of my favorite movies), but I guess I'll pass. Thanks guys.

[quote name='CloakBass']Wow, I actually did have a lot of errors like that when I was playing the demo version of the game (sound messing up, freezing my PS3), but I assumed that the retail disc would be free of them since few people complained about it online. The movie transfer isn't sounding too great from your descriptions either. I wanted to pick it up since I'm a big John Woo and Chow Yun Fat fan ("A Better Tomorrow" is one of my favorite movies), but I guess I'll pass. Thanks guys.[/QUOTE]

Yea, I'd almost say you'd be better off just grabbing the regular edition super cheap and then finding a used copy of Hard Boiled on DVD somewhere (amazon marketplace would be a good start). The quality of the film on the collector's edition is no greater than a DVD version (it might be even a little worse). It's certainly not in high definition, like you might be led to believe, since it's on a blu-ray disc.

Ah, so is the regular edition free of those glitches? I want to play the game, but I would rather not subject my PS3 that sort of torture.

I never had any glitches when I played it a few months ago. Perhaps an update fixed any issues people have been having. Although the game is fun, its far from being a deep experience. And movie quality wise, its not great. Then again it is a free movie so who can complain. I say you just pony up for the SE unless you really want hard boiled blu ray with remastered everything and specials and whatnot cause if your gonna play it anyway might as well get the most out of it and regular or SE its gonna play the same, bugs or not. Plus from what ive seen recently the SE is only a few bucks more than the regular edition.

bread's done
Back