Stuck in an eBay situation.

menikmati

CAGiversary!
Feedback
26 (100%)
Moderators, PLEASE move this thread to the right forum because I have no clue where it should be.

So I happened to sell my copy of AC: WW last week on eBay. The winner was a 0 feedback bidder but I got the PayPal payment right away and I printed out the shipping label and packed it up.

Dropped it off at the post office on the 12th and to pay the fees, assuming it would get there shortly because it was by Priority Mail. Well, the 18th rolls around and he sends me an e-mail stating that he has yet to receive it. I reply by saying that I shipped it out on the 12th and it should be coming if not already.

Then this afternoon I get ANOTHER e-mail regarding he didn't get the game yet. I then proceeded to take a picture of the receipt and PayPal invoice (I left a copy of the invoice in the box also) to prove that I had shipped it to the correct address (it was a direct shipping label printout).

Now I'm most likely on the brink of getting negative feedback but also ANOTHER $34.99+tax and shipping if he/she continues to not receive the game. The thing is that I had placed shipping insurance as an optional fee of $2.00 which was not chosen and there is no way to prove that the game was received (but sent due to my receipt).

Anyone know what the fuck to do in my situation? I'd hate to go out hunting for another AC:WW (already a pain in the ass to find in my area) and ship it just to find out they wanted another copy of the game.

I have no idea on what to do but in the future Calculate Delivery Confermation charges into S&H. That way he can't say he didn't get an item and you can track when it gets there.

If you paid for delivery confirmation, you should be protected. If not, Paypal and eBay are notorious for erring on the side of the bidder.

NEVER SEND ANYTHING WITHOUT DELIVERY CONFIRMATION EVER. YOU WILL AUTOMATICALLY LOSE ANY CHARGEBACK, REGARDLESS WHETHER OR NOT YOU SENT. He can take a picture of himself playing Animal Crossing and giving you the finger and send it to Paypal, and you will still LOSE. Consider this a lesson learned - read the terms of paypals seller protection policy before accpting paypal. This problem comes up once a week here it seems.

Although if he indeed is ripping you off - you won't need to find a replacement because I bet he will only want his money back - he'd have no need for another copy of the game

Dave

[quote name='menikmati']
So I happened to sell my copy of AC: WW last week on eBay. The winner was a 0 feedback bidder but I got the PayPal payment right away and I printed out the shipping label and packed it up.
.[/QUOTE]

And another thing, if you are printing out the shipping label, just use Paypal's click and ship - delivery confirmation would have been free, and its .14 for first class packages

Dave

Well your saying you printed the label so I am assuming you used paypals shipping and the delivery confirmation is on it. You can check to see if its delivered if you login to your paypal account and hit track shipment. I dont think hes scamming you usually scammers wont contact you and just chargeback

I'm not sure he used PayPal shipping because the OP mentions paying fees when he dropped it off at the PO? You also wouldn't get a receipt at the PO for a package with a postage paid PayPal Shipping label.

You are screwed as far as PayPal is concerned if you don't have Delivery Confirmation (as has been said.)

My advice is to file a lost mail claim with the USPS. I think there is some form or something you can file. I wouldn't hold my breath on anything coming of it though.

Of course it is possible the USPS lost or misdirected the package. I would agree that the 90%+ probability is that the buyer is lying, but you can't be sure without DC.

My opinion is that if you mail something without DC you are basically agreeing to accept the word of the buyer on whether or not the package makes it to them.

[quote name='m0dem']Well your saying you printed the label so I am assuming you used paypals shipping and the delivery confirmation is on it. You can check to see if its delivered if you login to your paypal account and hit track shipment. I dont think hes scamming you usually scammers wont contact you and just chargeback[/QUOTE]

Wow I didn't know that (I just scroll to the bottom as quick as possible and click Continue to print the damn thing).

I just logged into PayPal and it says that it was indeed delivered on Thursday the 19th at 2:41pm.

So if he/she still presses that they never got the package even after I show them the DC Confirmation and I still get negative feedback, what do I do?

[quote name='menikmati']Wow I didn't know that (I just scroll to the bottom as quick as possible and click Continue to print the damn thing).

I just logged into PayPal and it says that it was indeed delivered on Thursday the 19th at 2:41pm.

So if he/she still presses that they never got the package even after I show them the DC Confirmation and I still get negative feedback, what do I do?[/QUOTE]

Ha! In this case you are golden. Give PayPal the DC number and you will win the chargeback. (If it comes to that.)

I'd e-mail them the DC number and just say that the USPS shows it as delivered.

You can't be expected to be responsible for someone stealing it off their porch, etc. (And if the DC shows it as delivered it is VERY doubtful that they don't actually have it.)

I'm surprised the dumbass decided to scam you after seeing the DC on the mailing label.

Just curious about the comments that you paid a fee and have a receipt to scan? Did you actually pay at the counter when you dropped off the package? If so you probably double paid the postage on it.

Just sent a message to the buyer using eBay about the situation, just hoping for a polite answer and we can both get our damn feedback without any more problems.

Thank god for you CAGs and DC!

[quote name='wubb']
I'm surprised the dumbass decided to scam you after seeing the DC on the mailing label.
[/QUOTE]

I'm not, I get it at least twice a month where they wait until a day or two after it is delivered and then say they never got it and that's with the DC on the package (and hard to miss since I am using the neon green slips).

[quote name='menikmati']

So if he/she still presses that they never got the package even after I show them the DC Confirmation and I still get negative feedback, what do I do?[/QUOTE]

Even if the negative feedback gets left, and it gets left unfairly, you are stuck with it unless you give them bad feedback as well and then you can both agree to mutually withdraw the feedback.

I just sold 10 items on eBay and used DC on none of them. I've always made it an option in S&H, but never included it automatically.

As much as I've used eBay, I still feel like a nub in eBay, and this thread only proves that I AM a nub.

I'll do DC from now on, but I'm worried that in the meantime I've got 3 or 4 people of my 10 who are going to try and pull a fast one on me with this DC deal. Is DC my only recourse for proving that I shipped an item? Receipts/insurance stubs mean nothing? Any other course of action even possible?

I can't believe how big of an idiot I am.

If you have insurance you'd be able to get your money back in the case of a lost or damaged package. The buyer would win a PayPal chargeback, but let's say the USPS concludes their insurance investigation by finding that the package was delivered to the buyer undamaged. You have a pretty tight mail fraud claim. Frankly I'd be surprised if anyone would pull this on a package that was insured. And you'd probably be able to scare them off (if they are lying) by telling them you'll be filing an insurance claim and the postal investigators will probably be in touch with them in the next few days.

No DC and no insurance, you are probably 100% out of luck. You could try asking at your PO about what you can do. (I think there is a lost package form or something - they won't pay you anything back without insurance though obviously.) Remember, it's always a possibility that the buyer is in fact not lying about the package being lost.

And yeah when I see sellers listing DC as an optional cost upgrade on their S+H I always chuckle. As a buyer I know when the package gets to me, I don't need an online number to confirm that fact for me. Same for the large % of listers that mention they won't be responsible for lost or damaged mail. If you accept PayPal, guess what... (I can still somewhat see the point of putting that in, as I guess it could convince some buyers off putting in a claim.)

I've never had a buyer falsely claim to not get a package. Although I do put DC on everything.

What's also surprising is how many powersellers who you would think would know better don't use DC. I would never pay extra for DC as a buyer either if it's listed as an option.

for the sellers here that say they've never had a problem by not putting a DC number

you guys should read my other thread about me almost losing 225 dollars with paypal.
it will change your minds with DC!

I print all my labels on the usps website, with the free d/c. USPS also sends out an email saying it is being shipped with the d/c #

I put DC#'s on all my things, even half.com - I just go thru paypal and manually enter their address to send to get the .14 DC since most of the Half.com stuff is media mail.

Also another point to mention, you're only protected as a seller if you do DC to a CONFIRMED Paypal address. So even if you got DC but shipped to an "unconfirmed" Paypal address, Paypal still won't do jack for you.

Welcome to the world of Ebay/Papypal.

menikmati, what kind of email did you get? Was it from Paypal? Is it a chargeback or a dispute for a item not received?

Never sell items with Paypal without following their Seller's Protection Policy.

Here are the requirements to be eligible:

- Have a qualified Verified Business or Premier Account.
- Ship to the confirmed address on the Transaction Details page
- Retain reasonable proof of postage that can be tracked online
- Require signature receipt on items equal to or more in value than $250.00 USD

Even then, you'll still have to watch out for other loopholes in the system (i.e. item not as described) and the fact that Paypal's employees are monkeys.

Paypal's incompetence on handling an online money transaction is the reason why I've stopped taking Paypal as a payment anymore. Uninfmored sellers and buyers can be easily scammed with Paypal.

[quote name='menikmati']Just sent a message to the buyer using eBay about the situation, just hoping for a polite answer and we can both get our damn feedback without any more problems. Thank god for you CAGs and DC![/QUOTE]
(1) I would have not told the Buyer you have DC proving the item was delivered. Let the guy file a chargeback. Then Paypal asks for DC & you just type the number. Case Closed. >Plus it puts a nice red flag on the Buyer's account to let Paypal know he's a liar/scammer.<

(2) I also would not leave feedback for this buyer until day 90. If you give him the feedback he deserves (a NEG - "he claimed package not delivered even though it was"), he'll just neg you right back and harm your future sales. Giving a neg to a buyer is like shooting yourself in the foot. (Negs don't hurt buyers, but they ruin sellers' reputation.)

(3) If I see a buyer has over 10 feedbacks and 100%, I will skip the DC to save myself time at the post office (filling out 50 DC forms would take half an hour!). It's risky, but I figure a 100% buyer should be a safe person.

Less then 10 or 100%, I don't trust them and get the DC.

I understand what electrictroy is saying, but I agree on always getting DC. It's worth it if it's just weeding out the assholes for everyoe else to see.

Besides it not at all expensive and it's quick. When I take my package up to the counter, I ask for it, they scan a label, hand me the DC receipt/number and slap the rest on the package. I don't what paperwork electrictroy is talking about.

How about an update OP? There's nothing like a scammer getting busted!

I put DC if the item is expensive. If the item is less than $10 (including shipping), I'll take the hit. Its probably something I wanted to get rid of. BUt if its an pricey item, I will add DC. If its a very expensive electronic such as cellphone, I'll add DC and insurance (included in shipping). Other than that, insurance is optional (if available).

THe post office says that the insurance slip is trackable, but not from our end..only the USPS end.

[quote name='TurkeyOnRye']I understand what electrictroy is saying, but I agree on always getting DC. It's worth it if it's just weeding out the assholes for everyoe else to see.

Besides it not at all expensive and it's quick. When I take my package up to the counter, I ask for it, they scan a label, hand me the DC receipt/number and slap the rest on the package. I don't what paperwork electrictroy is talking about.

How about an update OP? There's nothing like a scammer getting busted![/QUOTE]
The paperwork electrictroy is talking about is the green DC slips that you have to fill out. You fill it out with the buyers shipping info.

That green slip that the PO scans for you and slaps on the package, the part they give to you is the part you are suppose to fill out with the buyers info.

[quote name='electrictroy'](3) If I see a buyer has over 10 feedbacks and 100%, I will skip the DC to save myself time at the post office (filling out 50 DC forms would take half an hour!). It's risky, but I figure a 100% buyer should be a safe person.

Less then 10 or 100%, I don't trust them and get the DC.[/QUOTE]
Might as well just get DC to be safe. Going by feedback or % isnt safe. Someone with 95% or 10 feedbacks and 1 negative could of been someone leaving feedback cuz they are an arse or misunderstanding.

For example. Someone can have 978 positives and 3 negatives. This is about a 99.7%. The 3 negs could of been buyers who are arses for leaving negatives or people who are picky and just loves leaving negs.

Or someone with 10+ and 100% can still screw you over. So no matter what the feedback or % is, they can screw you over. Dont forget, feedback and % is just a number.

To save yourself the time and hassle, why not just grab a whole bunch of slips from the PO, take them home, and when you package the item up, fill out the slip and slap it on the package. Not only do you save yourself time, but you save time at the PO as well.

[quote name='TurkeyOnRye']When I take my package up to the counter, I ask for it, they scan a label, hand me the DC receipt/number and slap the rest on the package. I don't what paperwork electrictroy is talking about.[/QUOTE]
Writing down the name or zipcode on the DC receipt. (Takes time.) Else, you just have a blank piece of paper & no clue which person it is for.

[quote name='electrictroy']Writing down the name or zipcode on the DC receipt. (Takes time.) Else, you just have a blank piece of paper & no clue which person it is for.[/QUOTE]

The receipt you get from the Post Office shows the City, State and Zip for each DC you purchase. Unless you are shipping multiple items on the same receipt to different people in the same city, it's really not hard to keep track of this stuff. You shouldn't have to write down anything.

[quote name='shipwreck']The receipt you get from the Post Office shows the City, State and Zip for each DC you purchase. Unless you are shipping multiple items on the same receipt to different people in the same city, it's really not hard to keep track of this stuff. You shouldn't have to write down anything.[/QUOTE]

Actually I've seen the level of detail on PO receipts vary. Some don't list the zip on the receipt at all for example.

[quote name='wubb']Actually I've seen the level of detail on PO receipts vary. Some don't list the zip on the receipt at all for example.[/QUOTE]

Ah, well YMMV then.

[quote name='shipwreck']The receipt you get from the Post Office shows the City, State and Zip for each DC you purchase. Unless you are shipping multiple items on the same receipt to different people in the same city, it's really not hard to keep track of this stuff. You shouldn't have to write down anything.[/QUOTE]
Majority just state Zip on the receipt. Even so, if a problem arises, who wants to look through all the receipts to find a Zip code especially if you have multiple packages on one receipt. Not to mention, what happens if you cant find the persons name and address? The DC slip is your proof of who it is and where it was shipped.

[quote name='iazybandit']Majority just state Zip on the receipt. Even so, if a problem arises, who wants to look through all the receipts to find a Zip code especially if you have multiple packages on one receipt. Not to mention, what happens if you cant find the persons name and address? The DC slip is your proof of who it is and where it was shipped.[/QUOTE]

Well like I said, apparently all the Post Offices I use are up to date and list the city, state, and zip on the receipt along with the DC#. I myself would never have a problem finding the person's full address because I keep track of that electronically separately. And as I stated earlier, if I have multiple packages going to the same city & zip, then I make note of that. fuck people, this doesn't have to be so complicated.

I had a similiar situation occur with a buyer. They emailed me 3 weeks after the auction ended stating they still haven't received the game. I emailed them the DC number and web link and never heard back from them. I learned to use DC on all shipments the hard way as well (scammed out of $30 by a buyer through Paypal, then he tried to sell the card back to me a month later!).

[quote name='shipwreck']Well like I said, apparently all the Post Offices I use are up to date and list the city, state, and zip on the receipt along with the DC#. I myself would never have a problem finding the person's full address because I keep track of that electronically separately. And as I stated earlier, if I have multiple packages going to the same city & zip, then I make note of that. fuck people, this doesn't have to be so complicated.[/QUOTE]
As you stated its YMMV. You have your way of running things and we have our own way of running things. You may not be shipping packages all the time, others such as myself, ship every week. No one said anything about this being complicated. You stated your experience, and we're stating ours.

I was leaving the DC slips blank but was told they had to have some info so I just scirbble in the zip code and buyer's last name. I don't even use the neon green slips once I mail the item. If I have to look up a DC number I just use the receipt like shipwreck does.

[quote name='iazybandit']As you stated its YMMV. You have your way of running things and we have our own way of running things. You may not be shipping packages all the time, others such as myself, ship every week. No one said anything about this being complicated. You stated your experience, and we're stating ours.[/QUOTE] iasybandit likes to debate! (laughs)

I'll check my USPS receipt when I get home. If the DC number & Zip code are already printed there, then yes that will save me a lot of time! No more filling out the Green forms. Thanks.

Ah... ok. I get it now. I've never noticed the space for that on my green slip... but I've never used it... I can usually keep track of what I send.

[quote name='electrictroy']iasybandit likes to debate! (laughs)[/QUOTE]
Its called conversing..you know as in talk amongst one another. Which some of you seem to take seriously. If you disagree with me or dont like what I say, feel free to ignore me. You dont have to respond back to my posts. I'm not forcing you to read what I say. Just like I have the right to say or express myself, you have the right to ignore me.

bread's done
Back