Studio Ghibili/anime movie deals?

Freedom Fries

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
I'm shopping for a gift for my girlfriend and I'm looking for the best deals on Studio Ghibli DVDs. I saw the list on Amazon for Cyber week, but I'm afraid she's not into that.

I also saw the 50% off coupon for Borders, but it seems it would just make their DVDs a normal price.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for the help.

There is this @ Amazon UK sale. Otherwise there probably won't be any major sale(s) until (leading up to March 2011) when Nausicaä BD and Tales from Earthsea are released.

[quote name='ssjmichael']They sell Studio Ghibli collections on ebay for cheap, but they're likely not official and the quality probably isn't as good. Still, it might be a cheap way to introduce someone to these great films and then get the official releases down the road (hopefully in mouth-watering Blu-ray)

See this auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/Hayao-Miyazaki-...?pt=US_DVD_HD_DVD_Blu_ray&hash=item1c171e6f8c

Comes out to $2.75 a movie. 172 sold so far[/QUOTE]

Why would you advocate paying piraters? Reported.

[quote name='zenintrude']Why would you advocate paying piraters? Reported.[/QUOTE]

Who said it's pirated? Anyway report me if you want. I'm merely just pointing to a set that's selling pretty well on ebay with good feedback. If it's a pirated set then feel free to delate it mods.

[quote name='WTK']There is this @ Amazon UK sale. Otherwise there probably won't be any major sale(s) until (leading up to March 2011) when Nausicaä BD and Tales from Earthsea are released.[/QUOTE]

Cool, I didn't know about Tales from Earthsea. It says that he deviated from the books, so hopefully he left out any of the crap after LeGuin turned into a superfeminist and total emasculated the main dude.

[quote name='WTK']There is this @ Amazon UK sale. Otherwise there probably won't be any major sale(s) until (leading up to March 2011) when Nausicaä BD and Tales from Earthsea are released.[/QUOTE]

These will [likely] not play on your American player for various reasons (Region locked, PAL encoding, etc.)

[quote name='WTK']There is this @ Amazon UK sale. Otherwise there probably won't be any major sale(s) until (leading up to March 2011) when Nausicaä BD and Tales from Earthsea are released.[/QUOTE]One little problem with those discs you listed on Amazon UK.

They're region 2 discs, which means they won't play on a US Region 1 DVD player. If you have a region-free player, this isn't an issue, though not everyone does.

BluRay movies are possibly region-free, though they're on a case-by-case basis and you'd need to check before buying. DVDs, they're always region-locked, and UK is Region 2. US + Canada is Region 1, plus some other areas are in Region 1 as well.

[quote name='Freedom Fries']Awesome, do you think these can play on laptops/computers?[/QUOTE]

There's also a way to change the region on your disc drive, but you get a limited number of times you can do this before the drive gets locked.

[quote name='DJE']There's also a way to change the region on your disc drive, but you get a limited number of times you can do this before the drive gets locked.[/QUOTE]

Which is why I advise you to run then through VLC instead of your laptop's stand alone DVD program.

[quote name='Freedom Fries']Man, I don't understand! Why are Studio Ghibli films cheaper in Europe than in the States?[/QUOTE]

yeah Studio Ghibli films are crazy priced thats mostly why I don't own too many of his movies.

[quote name='Freedom Fries']Man, I don't understand! Why are Studio Ghibli films cheaper in Europe than in the States?[/QUOTE]

US = Distributed by DISNEY
EU = Not distributed by DISNEY

:)

there's a set that has a beige cover with a crest on it. It's about $30 on ebay for 18 movies I think. It's decent quality, and with english subtitles.

[quote name='V3rtigo']there's a set that has a beige cover with a crest on it. It's about $30 on ebay for 18 movies I think. It's decent quality, and with english subtitles.[/QUOTE]

Sound like it might not be exactly legit to you?

[quote name='monoxide101']Cool, I didn't know about Tales from Earthsea. It says that he deviated from the books, so hopefully he left out any of the crap after LeGuin turned into a superfeminist and total emasculated the main dude.[/QUOTE]

Actually, Hayao Miyazaki had nothing to do with ToE, and it shows, given the movie received mediocre to poor reviews from most critics. The transfer to the animated screen was so bad that the author disowned the film and refused to show up at the premiere.

I would stick with Hayao's films. If this is for your gf, I'd go with Totoro.

There is one Miyazaki film Disney doesn't distribute, and that's the Castle of Magliostro. You should check that one out -- an excellent film.

[quote name='Vegan']Get her Grave of the Fireflies. lol[/QUOTE]

She will love this movie. It's Ghibli's first Comedy movie.lol.

No but seriously, if she hasn't seen this move then get her this one. Everyone should have this in their collection.

[quote name='battra92']Whisper of the Heart is another great Ghibli choice. It is by far the most underrated Ghibli film.[/QUOTE]

It's my wife's favorite.

[quote name='Vegan']Get her Grave of the Fireflies. lol[/QUOTE]

We saw it together. She didn't like it because it was so unlike everything else she's seen from Studio Ghibli.

I mean, it was really sad, and I warned her before seeing it, but it's just not her cup of tea.

edit: Is 29.99 a good deal for Nausicaa? It's one of the only movies I can find in a brick and mortar store.
I think they may also have Pom Poko too.

She already owns Totoro, Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, Ponyo, and I think one other one, but I forgot.

edit2: Okay, I just checked and apparently my local Barnes and Noble has most of the Studio Ghibli films in stock for 29.99. Good deal?
Anyone know any other brick and mortar stores that sell these? Checked FYE and Best Buy. Nothing.

[quote name='Vegan']You may want to hold out on Nausicaa. Restored Blu-ray/DVD combo comes out in March.[/QUOTE]

Yeah so does Tales of Earthsea -____-
And her birthday is in March too. Hmmm.. decisions, decisions.

bread's done
Back