Stupid Customer Stories? I want to hear Stupid Employee Stories.

I used to work at an amusement park when I was a teenager. I worked in the parking lot sometimes with this kid who used to scam the park. Halfway through the summer he was hauled off by the cops stealing thousands of dollars.

You want a stupid employee story?

A few years ago at a retail store I worked at, a guy was skimming money off his cash register. He took a bunch every few days for a couple weeks and ended up with about five grand. He was never convicted of a crime.

Now here's the stupid part:

On one of the days when the guy took a lot (around $1K), the store manager on duty and the loss prevention lead freaked out because they thought they had actually lost the money instead of it being stolen. The manager on duty had the bright idea to use HIS OWN money to replace the missing grand until they could figure out what happened to it. The LP lead went along with it, and a secretary with 20 years of experience was in on it as well. A few months later, the story finally comes out that the money had been replaced, and the district managers fired all three of them. The manager technically "retired," because he was old enough, but the other two got booted and lost all of their retirement and options.

Now THAT'S a stupid employee story.

Stupid employees? We get atleast 4-5 new threads everydayabout 'stupid' employees. 'Gamestop wouldn't hold my hand and walk me to the PSX section, EB only gave me $2 for my 12 year old game, Game Crazy would'nt....". I REALLY don't think there is a need for this thread, since everyone else seems to like tos tart there own thread to whine about something. But, I guess since you've never had a job, you don't have any customers to complain about.

[quote name='gizmogc']Stupid employees? We get atleast 4-5 new threads everydayabout 'stupid' employees. 'Gamestop wouldn't hold my hand and walk me to the PSX section, EB only gave me $2 for m 12 year old game, Game Crazy would....". I REALLY don't think there is a need for this thread, since everyone else seems tolike tostart there own to whine about something. But, I guess since you've never had a job, you don't have any customers to complainabout.[/QUOTE]

Awwww, is someone sad because someone's trying to steal his claim to fame?

[quote name='gizmogc']Good ol' scorch.[/QUOTE]

Then don't immediately assume that the OP has never had a job and jump on him like that.

Speaking of stupid employees, there was his kid at Hollywood Video.. I mean, I don't care how new you are, most people have common sense.. I told him the last name.. I handed him the driver's license.. I spelled out my last name for him.. he put in the phone number, he put in the address and asked if I had rented there before.. "only for the past five years".. after twenty minutes, he realized he was trying to enter my last name as my first name.

I specifically avoid him when I go in now.

There's one employee who's been at EB here for about two years, and she STILL dosen't know how to run a register correctly, or check stock on the products she has.

So, I hate when stores higher 'special' employees. You know the ones I'm talking about, mentally retarded. What do they stores do with them? Stick them right at the register. And guess what? There are 2-3 registers open. So now, we have to wait in line for hours why this employee tries to figure simple things out (counting back change, taking money, bagging, etc).. Now, I know it sucks that they have a condition, but there really is no reason they should be working in retail.

[quote name='Roufuss']There's one employee who's been at EB here for about two years, and she STILL dosen't know how to run a register correctly, or check stock on the products she has.[/QUOTE]

Is she hot? If so, there is no reason for her to do any of the above. I'm sure a decent amount of business comes from guys oogling over her.

[quote name='gizmogc']So, I hate when stores higher 'special' employees. You know the ones I'm talking about, mentally retarded. What do they stores do with them? Stick them right at the register. And guess what? There are 2-3 registers open. So now, we have to wait in line for hours why this employee tries to figure simple things out (counting back change, taking money, bagging, etc).. Now, I know it sucks that they have a condition, but there really is no reason they should be working in retail.[/QUOTE]

Man, seriously! I know most places are equal opportunity employers, but come ON! Employees like that should be working the floor and helping out customers, not behind a register and trying to count out money.

[quote name='gizmogc']Is she hot? If so, there is no reason for her to do any of the above. I'm sure a decent amount of business comes from guys oogling over her.[/QUOTE]

She looks like she got hit by a train.

I haven't seen her the last few times I've gone in... I think she quit / got fired.

[quote name='Scorch']Man, seriously! I know most places are equal opportunity employers, but come ON! Employees like that should be working the floor and helping out customers, not behind a register and trying to count out money.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. I'm not sure why Wal-Mart decided to place him and several 'others' (Not trying to be mean) on registers throughout the week. And I'm not even sure why I even still shop at Wal-Mart...But I just don't get it. He can go get carts, he can greet at the door, he can stock...But NOT counting money and deaing with direct customers.

[quote name='Roufuss']She looks like she got hit by a train.

I haven't seen her the last few times I've gone in... I think she quit / got fired.[/QUOTE]

Oh..I'm sorry. I hired two girls (1 still works there) for my store...both can do registers, clean etc. There game knowledge may not be as 'extensive' as myself or other employees, but man, did they bring in sales... I remember when DOA Volleyball came out, they went outside in Bikini's and held up xboxs...We sold 12 that day, lol. I'm so glad that when I left I remained friends with them....there REALLY good drunks ;)

Wasn't my idea. They just showed up and were outside. I had no idea for about an hour or so till I heard a customer say 'Who are those girls outside'. Sadly, I had to end it then due to those reasons Scorch. However, we sold 12 Xbox in that 1 hour or so (I was wondering why too, but I was in the back, my employees were ringing up Customers)...pretty amazing.

[quote name='doctorfaustus']You could be sued for that....
perv[/QUOTE]

How on earth did you even manage to stuble across a ten month old thread?

Im calling bullshit. Besides the fact that most girls that work at game stores would drive away business rather than bring it in if they were in a bikini.

Second the 'but stupid employee threads happen everyday' bit- although stupid co-workers sounds like fun!

My mom worked with a guy who was fired for taking 1 chicken strip from the deli girl cuz he had no lunch money that day. ONE strip.

Another guy she worked with had been there like 20 years, was a couple months from retirement will benfits and 401k and stuff- and lost it all because he stole a bag of Hershey's kisses. (let this be a lesson to all that Safeway is DAMN strict with their employees on theft.)

I also remember a story about the 'Special Needs' girl at Safeway sneaking out on breaks to sleep with the 'special needs' boy at the goodwill across the street, but I know no details on that. (Damn.)

And recently 2 managers were fired from my sister's Goodwill for theft... one was arrested too. They acted like they were trying to keep it 'secret'... then marched in him handcuffs around front... by the full wall front windows, were everyone could see. Oops.

A co-worker of mine was recently fired for not showing up to work. Now this isn't normal "Oh I forgot" not showing up, this is him knowing, looking outside and seeing it rain and going "Bah, it's raining, I'm not gonna go."

Idiot...

Ok, here is my conversation when I tried asking to pre-order MGS3: Subsistence and get the bonus disc (which they had since I saw them on the shelf behind the register).

Employees: Hi, what can I do for you?
Me: I'd like to reserve Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence please.
Employee: Metal Gear 3 already came out
Me: I know it did, I want to pre-order the re-release of it.
Employee: You can't preorder it if its already out.
Me: The thing is though, its NOT out yet, and will be towards the middle of March, look it up on the computer.
*He does*
Employee: Well there it is, I think we have some right now, I'll go get one.
*comes back with MGS3*
Me: Thats not what I want.
Employee: Sure it is, its MGS3.
Me: Let me ask you one thing, what are those DVD's behind you being given out for pre-ordering?
Employee: I'm not sure, let me ask.
*He does*
Employee: They are being given out for pre-ordering Metal Gear
Me: Yes! That is what I want!
Employee: But you want Metal Gear 3 which is already out, this is a different Metal Gear
Me: Yeah, thats what I want, and when I pre-order it right now I get the DVD, right?
Employee: No, you dont get it until the game is out.
Me: Oh thats too bad. Bye.

the not so smart employees at gamestores is pretty easy to understand:

gamestores pay their employees minimum wage, even less than what a fast food restaurant pays their employees.

This leads to a high turnover of their work force, very few of the employees stay long enough to learn the job so a lot of times you will walk into a game store where the employee cannot work the register, or forgets to put the game disc in etc.

The high employee theft at game stores is easy to understand, an employee is pissed about how bad the upper management treats them and so they figure they are justified in stealing(whether it is a dozen systems or just a few games) from the store before they quit.

I will say that for the most part, the employees I encounter are usually very friendly and good to talk to, they might not have the best job skills but that is understandable(they are not paid much at all).

When it gets to the point where an employee does not want to stop playing a game to ring up a customer(this has actually happened to me at gamecrazy heh) then that can be a problem because the store loses business.

[quote name='fieldkillah']A mentally hadicapped guy was fired from where i work for jerking off in front of customers.[/QUOTE]

:puke:

I worked at a pawn shop for a while. Well, one day one of my co-workers decided to show off his intellect and play Jesse James with one of our loaded revolvers. Shot his dumb ass in the hand in front of two customers. fucking moron.

About 5 years ago I worked with a guy that was a complete dumbass.
It was in a distribution center (warehouse). I worked in a department that had its own building which made it nice. There were about 15 of us that worked there, we unloaded trailers and sorted the cartons by store numbers and then loaded trailers for the stores. Well this guy to start with had already been in an industrial accident. At a previous job he had got his hand caught in an overhead conveyor ( don't know how) and it ripped off his pinky and some of the muscle from his arm. The sad thing is that he didn't get a thing for it... but anyway...

This guy was constantly being picked on, made fun of and such. For instance...
Once we took his jacket and raised someone up with a forklift and taped it to a chain hanging from the ceiling.
Another time, the day was almost over and there was nothing to do so we were just messing around, someone picked up a roll of shrink wrap (plastic wrap) that we used to wrap pallets and gave the end to him to hold... ( can you see what comes next?) ... and starts wrapping him to a pole. He was stuck and couldn't move, all he did was smile and laugh. The security guard had to come cut him loose because we all left when it was time to go.
Another time, nothing much going on some one had some tape... taped him up and then put him on a pallet... used a forklift and stcked him on top of some other pallets for awhile.

The guy loved the attention...

[quote name='thesilentshadow30']About 5 years ago I worked with a guy that was a complete dumbass...
The guy loved the attention...[/quote]

I don't see how everyone picking on him makes him a "complete dumbass." :roll:

[quote name='briansraregames']I worked at a pawn shop for a while. Well, one day one of my co-workers decided to show off his intellect and play Jesse James with one of our loaded revolvers. Shot his dumb ass in the hand in front of two customers. fucking moron.[/QUOTE]

Why the hell would you keep guns loaded in your store anyway? That seems to be inviting death.

[quote name='thesilentshadow30']About 5 years ago I worked with a guy that was a complete dumbass.
It was in a distribution center (warehouse). I worked in a department that had its own building which made it nice. There were about 15 of us that worked there, we unloaded trailers and sorted the cartons by store numbers and then loaded trailers for the stores. Well this guy to start with had already been in an industrial accident. At a previous job he had got his hand caught in an overhead conveyor ( don't know how) and it ripped off his pinky and some of the muscle from his arm. The sad thing is that he didn't get a thing for it... but anyway...

This guy was constantly being picked on, made fun of and such. For instance...
Once we took his jacket and raised someone up with a forklift and taped it to a chain hanging from the ceiling.
Another time, the day was almost over and there was nothing to do so we were just messing around, someone picked up a roll of shrink wrap (plastic wrap) that we used to wrap pallets and gave the end to him to hold... ( can you see what comes next?) ... and starts wrapping him to a pole. He was stuck and couldn't move, all he did was smile and laugh. The security guard had to come cut him loose because we all left when it was time to go.
Another time, nothing much going on some one had some tape... taped him up and then put him on a pallet... used a forklift and stcked him on top of some other pallets for awhile.

The guy loved the attention...[/quote]
Ah, you never know, maybe he was just a nice guy. Doesn't stop the fact that you and your buddies were a bunch of jackasses

I was at EBGames yesterday around 8 PM and one of the employees was on the phone complaining about how he wasn't getting paid as much since Gamestop took over. After at least 15 minutes on the phone he hung up and then came and asked if I needed help. I was done at that point and he rang me up. After that he started playing Guitar Hero with the other employee in the store.

I don't understand how people can think they are underpaid if they only do actual work for

[quote name='jkanownik']I was at EBGames yesterday around 8 PM and one of the employees was on the phone complaining about how he wasn't getting paid as much since Gamestop took over. After at least 15 minutes on the phone he hung up and then came and asked if I needed help. I was done at that point and he rang me up. After that he started playing Guitar Hero with the other employee in the store.

I don't understand how people can think they are underpaid if they only do actual work for

Boy I have a stupid story. So one day I decided to go grab some grub with my wife at the local McDonald's. We step up to the counter and ask for the simplest of things 2 (two) #2's and some chicken mcnuggets (#2 consists of 2 burgers, medium fries and a med drink for those who dont know). So the girl rings it up and the total was around 11ish or what not. We then step aside as she prepares our food and hands us our bag. She then places the 2 drinks from the meals by the bag. Obviously, if anyone knows mcdonalds and their crappy service you double check your bag. Even though I noticed what she put in the bag, I checked anyway and just waited assuming she was waiting for the rest of my food. And then she stares at me and asks, "what are you waiting for?". I blankly stare at her, "Just waiting for the rest of my food". She asks what do i mean? So I tell her. "There are only 2(two) burgers in here, where is the rest of my meals? I ordered 2 #2's" "oh" the girl mumbles and walks away and gets me ONE set of fries and puts it in my bag. Again I stare at her and she asks why I was waiting. I'm like, I'm missing 2 more burgers and 1 more set of fries. So she stubbles off and gets me another set of fries and places that in my bag. Again she stares at me and asks why I was still waiting. At this point even the people behind me were amazed at her stupidity, they just kept laughing like it was some sort of joke. Took her a long damn time to finally get my order completed -_- Can't believe someone can be so dumb. Not only did she SAY what I ordered, obvioulsy, 2 drinks and 2 burgers (the first 'order' she gave me ) doesnt cost the 11ish she charged me. Let alone, she just went and got what I was saying was missing, didn't even check the receipt or anything. I could have asked for 5 big mac's and the idiot would have gotten them.

Now that's a dumb employee if I ever saw one.

had a short but stupid encounter at best buy today.

I was looking for the cheap PS2/Xbox component cables that only cost $15 but could only find those ridiculous Psyclone cables.

Me: So, do you guys have any PS2 component cables for less than $60?

Him (without missing a beat, practically cutting off my last word): Nope, that's all we got man, sorry. Say, I just bought those for myself though and they're really nice. You should check them out.

Me: ummm, right. they're $60. Thanks.

it was totally obvious he was full of shit, so I looked around more, found official Sony cables and finally the cheapo $15 universal kind, which are now made by Gameshark instead of Madcatz.

I know that the employees at Ebgames may be doing little, but we did screw them over. You see, the employee may have done his work, sold extra stuff, and then when Gamestop bought them out he lost:

His spiff: Commission for selling warranties.

Hours: Ebgames did not require a TWO closers on weekdays, because of this, managers got 40 hours a week. But Gamestop requires two closers each night and does not give you extra hours and sees nothing wrong with giving the assistant managers 33- 35 hours a week.

So that means an EB manager, at $10 an hour, has now lost his commision, and lost $50 - $70 dollars a week in pay. So if he says, F**k it, customers need help, they ask for it, I am going to go play some DS and half-ass for Gamestop, I say more power to him.

I want to a Game Crazy the other day. I wanted the chubby, greasy, smelly guy to take some stuff out of the display case for me to look at, but it took me several tries to get the his attention because all he wanted to do was DS PictoChat with his friend, a skanky-looking goth chick (not an employee), standing right there in the store!! Any time I did not require his full attention, he went back to his DS and was even doing it while trying to answer my questions about their products.

The Naperville Gamecrazy that I go to is ridiculously awesome... I think the one you went to was the exception. The employees at my store are actually really helpful, they don't talk down to you, don't try and sell you the MVP membership and various subscriptions, and generally aren't douchebags... which is nice.

on topic:
as long as it's a stupid co-worker thread...i guess...but i was under the impression that like 70% of parts of this site are 'stupid employee stories'

I also am not sure if it really fits as well under 'shopping discussions' as it may wind up fitting more under 'off topic'...

Mildly Off topic reply:
[quote name='nosuchsoul']I know that the employees at Ebgames may be doing little, but we did screw them over. You see, the employee may have done his work, sold extra stuff, and then when Gamestop bought them out he lost:

His spiff: Commission for selling warranties.

Hours: Ebgames did not require a TWO closers on weekdays, because of this, managers got 40 hours a week. But Gamestop requires two closers each night and does not give you extra hours and sees nothing wrong with giving the assistant managers 33- 35 hours a week.

So that means an EB manager, at $10 an hour, has now lost his commision, and lost $50 - $70 dollars a week in pay. So if he says, F**k it, customers need help, they ask for it, I am going to go play some DS and half-ass for Gamestop, I say more power to him.[/quote]

What planet are you on?

EB was losing spiffs merger or no merger.
(Besides, in every other job in the world, if something's on your job description, it's your job to do it, wether or not you are 'bonused' for it. the difference between the best GS employees and the worst EB employees is that the EB employees were doing things just to milk the spiffs instead of actually buying into their own services. I hate the idea of GPGs, but it's sad to realize that no one at EB thought it was anything but a scam, but sold them anyway to get an extra .30 cents)

Their pay rate never decreased, and minimum wage has risen across the board in these parts now, so all the sales associates are getting paid either the same per hour or the older EB ones are making more then their GS counterparts and now with less responsibilities then they used to have.
EB not requiring two closers each night was an unwise and unsafe policy anyway. And how is giving more hours to the staff = a bad thing? EBs I know don't know how to use up the hours they're being given.

Lastly. Anyone who says, "F**k it, customers need help, they ask for it" is *not* the kind of person that you would want working for gamestop or in any kind of job for that matter, and inevitably will/should quit or be canned for being an self-involved lazy individual.

Back on topic:
I believe there was a GS that hired a wheelchaired employee for seasonal floor stuff, greeting and handing out flyers, etc at christmas. although how 'stupid employee stories' became a debate over EOE i don't know, heheh

[quote name='tauruskatt']on topic:
as long as it's a stupid co-worker thread...i guess...but i was under the impression that like 70% of parts of this site are 'stupid employee stories'

I also am not sure if it really fits as well under 'shopping discussions' as it may wind up fitting more under 'off topic'...

Mildly Off topic reply:

What planet are you on?

(Besides, in every other job in the world, if something's on your job description, it's your job to do it, wether or not you are 'bonused' for it. the difference between the best GS employees and the worst EB employees is that the EB employees were doing things just to milk the spiffs instead of actually buying into their own services. I hate the idea of GPGs, but it's sad to realize that no one at EB thought it was anything but a scam, but sold them anyway to get an extra .30 cents)

Their pay rate never decreased, and minimum wage has risen across the board in these parts now, so all the sales associates are getting paid either the same per hour or the older EB ones are making more then their GS counterparts and now with less responsibilities then they used to have.
EB not requiring two closers each night was an unwise and unsafe policy anyway. And how is giving more hours to the staff = a bad thing? EBs I know don't know how to use up the hours they're being given.

Lastly. Anyone who says, "F**k it, customers need help, they ask for it" is *not* the kind of person that you would want working for gamestop or in any kind of job for that matter, and inevitably will/should quit or be canned for being an self-involved lazy individual.

Back on topic:
I believe there was a GS that hired a wheelchaired employee for seasonal floor stuff, greeting and handing out flyers, etc at christmas. although how 'stupid employee stories' became a debate over EOE i don't know, heheh[/quote]

What in the name of freaking alli-baba are you freaking talking about??

Losing hours when you are used to getting 40 a week is the same as getting a cut in pay. You are willing and able to work those hours, the company creates a situation where hours are taken away from you in order to give them to other employee's, they have effectively cut your pay!!!!

They gave those hours to employees with a lower rate of pay, which adds up when you ahve hundreds of stores. In the companies view = pure profit.

Unless the said employee is a profound moron, they recognize that the company is taking money out of your pocket in order to put it into theirs.is what happened with spiffs. The company does want you to sell the same amount, and they now want to keep all the money that they used to share with you. Yes, this is business, which is built on greed, but now the company wants it all and will no longer give a share to those who earned them that money.

So it is being greedy, an employee reconginez this, and as he has a right to do so, he will stop putting in the effort for less pay. If the company wants to do so, then start firing those employees, until then, the company should shut up, and accept they created a situation that will earn them less money.

And if the f-tards up at Gamestop HQ want it any different, then change the scenario. Until then, maybe Gamestop should stop telling us to act like Salesmen, not SalesCLERKS. If you want us to be salesmen, then give us a reason to increase revenue. Right now, there is no reason. Hours are given be transactions and used trade-ins, and I am talking about an increase in hours of 4 hours for three thousand in sales more per week. This is too little reward for the effort.

And just for me, who won a company wide reservation contest last year, I got me a nice $0.35 rasie for the year. Yeah, I was treated right by Gamestop for doing my job well. (/sarcasm)

A co-worker when i worked at gamecrazy let a customer walk off with 13 brand new PS2 memory cards. And on a seperate occasion, the manager's own NES system which was hooked up in the store.

If you want to talk to a moron, call 414-771-1036 and ask for eric

[quote name='tauruskatt']on topic:

Mildly Off topic reply:

What planet are you on?

Back on topic:
I believe there was a GS that hired a wheelchaired employee for seasonal floor stuff, greeting and handing out flyers, etc at christmas. although how 'stupid employee stories' became a debate over EOE i don't know, heheh[/QUOTE]

The "best" EB employees are stupid. I know people who will trade in games at a lost on purpose to help out their store and they really care about their store's numbers and stuff. The only reason why anyone at my store might care is because we don't feel like getting yelled at by the DM and we want to get our raises. Sure we're selfish but why should we work our butts off so the people who are sitting on their asses at corporate can earn all the dough while laughing at us? I only do what is necessary to keep my job because I realized that the "worst" employees were the ones who were reaping the benefit of the job.

I need to get a new job. If only I'd stop getting fired from jobs on campus because people don't feel comfortable around me... :lol:

[quote name='nosuchsoul']
Losing hours when you are used to getting 40 a week is the same as getting a cut in pay. You are willing and able to work those hours, the company creates a situation where hours are taken away from you in order to give them to other employee's, they have effectively cut your pay!!!![/QUOTE]

Meanwhile, a cashier rejoices becuase he can finally afford car payments and quit taking the bus to work.

So the company gets a lil' boost from a slightly lower payroll per store... in return, the store employees get to be safer (What idiot decided the old closing policies?), the closing process goes faster due to extra hands, and the cashier/floor grunts- you know, the people the customers normally have to talk to- are in a slighly better mood cuz they get a bit more money now.

I'm a supervisor in my store- you have no idea how quilty I feel when my cashiers go beg for more hours to cover rent/bills/medical costs, when the store's only giving them 10 hours a week for the 'slow' season... and still-at-home, no car, no bills, supposedly part-timer me gets a comfy 30-40 a week simply because I had a background check and get a register key at the start of my shift. (I suppose I should be justifying it by saying only the floral and bookeeping people have worked in the store longer than me... But it doesn't.)

Call me kooky, but a manager who gets pissed over sharing his hours with his fellow staff- who usually need it more- is not someone I wanna be dealing with anyway.

[quote name='nosuchsoul']Unless the said employee is a profound moron, they recognize that the company is taking money out of your pocket in order to put it into theirs.is what happened with spiffs. The company does want you to sell the same amount, and they now want to keep all the money that they used to share with you. Yes, this is business, which is built on greed, but now the company wants it all and will no longer give a share to those who earned them that money.[/quote]

Unless the company has insituted penalites for decreased warranty plans and stuff- ...so? Good excuse to leave the damn customers alone about warranties they don't wan't. (Now, if there are penalites now on top of the de-spiffing... then they're bastards.)

bread's done
Back