suggest a cheapass (decent to good) home audio system for me

skulls dont fade

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
i'd like a dolby digital, prologic II audio system for movies, tv, and gaming.

music too, i guess.

i don't know much about these things, so whatever info you guys can hook up, i'll be appreciative. if i can get it at walmart, that would be cool, my sister works there and can hook up a discount. but that's not mandatory. i'm moving into my own apartment, so i'd like to have some cool stuff. wireless rear speakers would be NICE but not necessary. thanks.

yo i have a yamaha reciever id sell for like 120 shipped (with all the manuals/box/remote ect) obviously you need to buy your own seperate speakers, i replaced this with a onkyo 6.1 DTS reciever, so i am still using my cerwin vega speaker setup. this is the best way to do it, so you can peice your system together on your own. if interested in doing it THIS way as opposed to getting a crappy put together system let me know. yamaha is NO joke when it comes to audio recievers

of course it is dolby digital, 5.1 ect, so let me know whats up
(oh and check out the 180+ ebay 100% positive feedbacks on my account, exceed192ln7)

My neighbor bought one of these last Christmas and the sound quality is amazing.

I have found good reviews on the various sites I've checked, as well as customers here at the CC web site.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?V1BC26DCA
(CircuitCity.com link)

Onkyo Home Theater System (HTS-770)
$424.99 - ($100 cheaper than what my friend paid)

You get a powered subwoofer, two surround sound side speakers, one center back surround sound speaker (thus making it 6.1), two bookshelf speakers and a center speaker - as well as the receiver.

• 6.1-channel surround sound
• 1000 watts peak power
• Dolby® Digital/DTS®
• Dolby® Pro Logic II

It also has two digital optical inputs - one for a Monster Cable/other hookup for the gaming surround sound and one for your DVD player.

We watched the second Harry Potter movie at his house and the whole place shook during the scene with the Whomping Willow.

With the center back surround sound speaker, playing Halo 2 was a lot of fun. You can hear people trying to sneak up on you during Swords/No Radar games on Lockout.

The Onkyo 770 is what I've been looking at too. Amazon has a refurb available for 249.99. I'm pissed that I missed an open-box version at CC for 380.

[quote name='Maizrim']My neighbor bought one of these last Christmas and the sound quality is amazing.

I have found good reviews on the various sites I've checked, as well as customers here at the CC web site.

(CircuitCity.com link)

You get a powered subwoofer, two surround sound side speakers, one center back surround sound speaker (thus making it 6.1), two bookshelf speakers and a center speaker - as well as the receiver.

• 1000 watts peak power
• Dolby® Digital/DTS®
• Dolby® Pro Logic II

It also has two digital optical inputs - one for a Monster Cable/other hookup for the gaming surround sound and one for your DVD player.

We watched the second Harry Potter movie at his house and the whole place shook during the scene with the Whomping Willow.

With the center back surround sound speaker, playing Halo 2 was a lot of fun. You can hear people trying to sneak up on you during Swords/No Radar games on Lockout.[/QUOTE]

Good deal if it works well, which is apparently does...

Btw, if you guys are looking for a great 6 Disc Changer DVD/CD player, you can't go wrong with this:

Onkyo 6-Disc DVD/CD Player (DV-CP702)

http://makeashorterlink.com/?I61D32DCA
(another link from CircuitCity.com)

[Circuit City is $20 more expensive than JR, but the reviews are decent]
{See below for JR's cheaper prices/links} :D

-------------------------------------------------------

Unit Info:

Supports multiple formats: DVD, CD, CD-R, CD-RW, MP3, VCD, DVD-R, DVD-RW, VCD, SVCD, and Kodak Picture CD

Progressive scanning: Delivers amazingly smooth, crisp, enhanced-definition (480p) images when connected to a digital TV.

Digital optical output: Avoids magnetic and electrical interference that can occur with standard audio cables.

Component video output: Delivers a great picture with a minimum of interference.

-------------------------------------------------------

This player is very realiable and quiet - you can barely hear the disc change!

We replaced our piece of crap Sony DVP-S570D DVD player with this unit a couple of months ago, with the money I won from winning my fantasy football league.

(As for the Sony 570D, just do a Google search for the terrible reviews and info about the class action lawsuit against Sony in California. I will never buy another Sony product ever again - $500 wasted!!)

Our Onkyo player is silver however, to match our JVC TV.

You can get Onkyos products in both black or silver. (Silver is just harder to find it seems - including the above Home Surround Sound system)

$179.99 (Black) - Clearance Item!
http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=3988259

$179.88 (Silver)
http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=3991424

HTH

check out "sixth avenue electronics" .com. they have the onkyo for $419 with six cent shipping and no sales tax. pretty good price.

thanks a ton you guys, i think i will go with this onkyo system depending on how much i get when i sell my college books back. (that's the best part of the semester!)

[quote name='Maizrim']My neighbor bought one of these last Christmas and the sound quality is amazing.

(CircuitCity.com link)

• 1000 watts peak power
• Dolby® Digital/DTS®
• Dolby® Pro Logic II

With the center back surround sound speaker, playing Halo 2 was a lot of fun. You can hear people trying to sneak up on you during Swords/No Radar games on Lockout.[/QUOTE]

damn you must have really nice neighbors. people down here sucK.

i have an Onkyo TX-906 that i just use for music. Does anyone know if i can gain any cash from this to put towards the new system? any amount really, i don't need two receivers.

[quote name='skulls dont fade']thanks a ton you guys, i think i will go with this onkyo system depending on how much i get when i sell my college books back. (that's the best part of the semester!)[/QUOTE]

Good luck with selling your books - I know our book store just started buying books back for "Up to 50% back!" and the prices still suck. The fine print is that the 50% back books are on a list of a select few.

Unless of course you have business or science books that is. :) You would be surprised how many times history books come out with new editions and they refuse to buy them back altogether.

Funny, I know History repeats itself but I still don't need five different versions of a book about the Third Reich.

Have you ever sold any books through Half.com? You might get up to 60% for each book that way, plus they reimburse you for the majority of shipping costs as well.

wow i didn't know that. actually at my university (this is my 4th semester) i usually get back at least 50% of what i spent. sometimes more. here, if you go the either the first day or the second day of buyback, you get the best deals. this year, i didn't buy 1 book for a class...so i still have some to sell. i think i'm gonna put up an away message or a post on a message board for my school that if anyone has these classes i'll sell them for cheaper than the bookstore, but more than what i'd get from them. i usually knock off 10-15 bucks for kids that way. they get a deal, i get a deal...no problem.

bread's done
Back