Suggestions for a Cheap Ass Laptop

Thunderscope

CAGiversary!
So im looking for a cheapass laptop, one around $350-500 and currently the ones that caught my eye are from Compaq, Dell, Toshiba, and Lenovo. Im a mac guy, thats my main computer, I just need something cheap, portable for trips and whatnot. They all are dual core AMD X2's, at least 1gb ram, with a DVD Burner. The Lenovo is around $499 but it lacks the features of the other ones. The compaq is the cheapest but I dunno about the quality... As soon as I get one im upgrading the ram. Another question, Vista or XP?

Lenovo's are great. Get an Intel Core 2 Duo processor, if you can stay in your price range.

There isn't much difference between Vista and XP.

I was looking at the Dell Vostro 1000 with the AMD X2, I prefer AMD, I just don't know about the quality of the Vostros

[quote name='Thunderscope']I was looking at the Dell Vostro 1000 with the AMD X2, I prefer AMD, I just don't know about the quality of the Vostros[/QUOTE]

The only reason to look for AMD is cost. Intel's processors are marginally more expensive, but outperform AMD by a huge margin.

Not far enough for me to want to pay an extra $150, remember this is a light use 2nd computer for me. If I want power I'll use my new imac

[quote name='Liquid 2']The only reason to look for AMD is cost. Intel's processors are marginally more expensive, but outperform AMD by a huge margin.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

bread's done
Back