Suggestions for a cheap travel-worthy DS game

WarriorBlake

CAGiversary!
I'm about to take a trip to Florida with our church group and I'll be a 5-6 hour trip one way. I'm thinking about getting a long and deep DS game to play on the trip. But, seeing as this is a CAG forum, I would like to get a game for as less as possible and would like to spend less than $20. I am thinking about getting FF 3 used from a local Gamestop since an RPG is a good way to kill time. Any other suggestions?

If you like strategy RPG at all you can find Advance Wars: Dual Strike for $20 new at most stores. I think I put about 100 hours into that game back when I first got it.

I've heard some bad things about FF3 so I would recommend against it. It may have a graphical update but the gameplay is still the same constant grinding that all RPGs of that era had.

Puzzle games like Picross, Puzzle Quest or Planet Puzzle league are good for travel as well as they can be played in long bouts or in short bursts.

Obviously not for everyone, but I had a blast with My Sims for the DS (and no I am not a kid). Can't go wrong with Sim City either, in my opinion.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Puzzle games like Picross, Puzzle Quest or Planet Puzzle league are good for travel as well as they can be played in long bouts or in short bursts.[/quote]

Not for a 5-6 hour trip they're not.

Why not try a Castlevania game? Or since it's a DS, you can pick up FFIV or FFVI. If you've never played FFVI, it's highly recommended. The Phoenix Wright games are extremely cheap too.

I second Advance Wars (either) though good luck finding the first one that cheap. It was selling for a premium recently.

How about Picross? I put about 30-40 hours into that and still have a lot more to do. I'm not sure if you can go 5-6 hours solid on that, though (I did a few times but that isn't for everyone). In any case, it meets your price point - $20 MSRP or even less if you can find it used.

When I was in high school, people had sex on the field trip buses. Do they not do that anymore? Video games *are* bad news. :lol:

[quote name='torifile']When I was in high school, people had sex on the field trip buses. Do they not do that anymore? Video games *are* bad news. :lol:[/quote] This is a CHURCH TRIP!! Premarital sex isn't exacly smiled upon, especially in the presence of the whole youth group!

Thanks for all replies! Now that I have a good list of games, i've got a few questions:

[quote name='Hostile'] Or since it's a DS, you can pick up FFIV or FFVI. If you've never played FFVI, it's highly recommended.[/quote]

FFIV and VI are both on the DS? Are you sure about that?

I've played the first Advance Wars and it's a good game. How better is it on the DS?

I've herd about the Phoenix Wright games, but never really played one. Which one would be good for a beginner?

Castlevania is a good series of action games. Which one is the best for the DS?

I saw two other games that look interesting. Mega Man Star Force (aka Mega Man Battle Network) and Touch Detective. Any experience with these games?

Thanks again to all the posters!

[quote name='WarriorBlake']Thanks for all replies! Now that I have a good list of games, i've got a few questions:

I've played the first Advance Wars and it's a good game. How better is it on the DS?

I've herd about the Phoenix Wright games, but never really played one. Which one would be good for a beginner?

I saw two other games that look interesting. Mega Man Star Force (aka Mega Man Battle Network) and Touch Detective. Any experience with these games?

Thanks again to all the posters![/quote]

Id stay away from Touch Detective. If you get stuck (and you probably will) you are screwed.

[quote name='Hostile']Not for a 5-6 hour trip they're not.

Why not try a Castlevania game? Or since it's a DS, you can pick up FFIV or FFVI. If you've never played FFVI, it's highly recommended. The Phoenix Wright games are extremely cheap too.[/QUOTE]

Not for the whole time, but who games a whole 5-6 hours anyway? I suppose some do, but I can't stand to look at the small DS screens anywhere near that long. So on cross country flights I tend to just play in a few bursts.

But if he does want something to kill the whole travel time with, the Castlevania games are a good choice.

[quote name='WarriorBlake']Thanks for all replies! Now that I have a good list of games, i've got a few questions:

Thanks again to all the posters![/quote]

Oh, sorry. I meant since the DS can play GBA games, you can get the GBA ports. FFIV is on the DS and should come out soon (I think it's already been released in JPN) and FFVI, if I recall correctly, was in the process of being made.

Phoenix Wright, there's no guarantee you'll enjoy, since it's a point-and-click adventure with a very anime-ish comedy tone. Know that there are some minor annoyances like very little animations, standard point-and-click on everything to get the right answers, etc.

I would speak more about Advance Wars and Castlevania but I'm not a fan of either.

[quote name='Hostile']I would speak more about Advance Wars and Castlevania but I'm not a fan of either.[/QUOTE]
Burn Him! With Fire! :D

The DS version of Advance Wars has a few new units, touch screen controls, overpowered CO powers, and a ridiculous amount of extra maps in addition to the single player campaign which is already ~30 levels. Otherwise the basics are still the same as the first Advance Wars. Now that I think about it I haven't seen this game in a while in stores either. You can try the newer Advance Wars instead but I haven't played it so I can't comment on it.

The Castlevania games are kinda like Symphony of the Night Lite. They aren't as good IMHO or as long but only because of hardware limitations. They should last you more then your 5-6 hour trip though.

Advance Wars and Puzzle Quest are both good suggestions. Zelda is also pretty fun.

Since your DS has a GBA port, you may also want to consider one of the Final Fantasy GBA carts. I played FFIII one time on a very long plane trip and it was mucho fun.

Ninja Gaiden: DS. You could play the whole game one way on the trip, and then do the higher difficulty on the way back.

One of the best games for the DS.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll probably still go for FF III used if I can. If not, i'll try to go for Advance Wars (where available) or Phoenix Wright. Then, if I cant find either (doubt it sinc ei'm conna check two gamestops) i'll look for puzzle games like pictocross. Again, thanks for all the help!

For the love of god - don't get FF 3.

It's boring as crap.

I would say get a Phoenix Wright game (you can probably get the first one quite cheap now) and a puzzle game.

Either Tetris or Mr Driller are addictive, good time wasters and none too offensive if your any of your church group are peering over your shoulder.

Am I too late to second/third/nth Picross?

[quote name='Hostile']Not for a 5-6 hour trip they're not.[/quote]

Dude, have you played Picross? He'd be lucky to only play for 5-6 hours. Or maybe that's just me.

I found FF III used for $25. It was more than $20, but I had an $8 GS GC so it got in my >=$20 range. I played it for an hour and it doesn't seem that bad.

For the love of god - don't get FF 3.

It's boring as crap.

I would say get a Phoenix Wright game (you can probably get the first one quite cheap now) and a puzzle game.

Either Tetris or Mr Driller are addictive, good time wasters and none too offensive if your any of your church group are peering over your shoulder.

Am I too late to second/third/nth Picross?

[quote name='Hostile']Not for a 5-6 hour trip they're not.[/quote]

Dude, have you played Picross? He'd be lucky to only play for 5-6 hours. Or maybe that's just me.

I found FF III used for $25. It was more than $20, but I had an $8 GS GC so it got in my >=$20 range. I played it for an hour and it doesn't seem that bad.

[quote name='kida101']Brain Age 1 or 2...cuz of the sudoku.[/QUOTE]

QFT

Also might look at one of the many DS puzzle games.

Warioware, Feel the Magic, Rub Rabbits, and Mario Kart are other good time wasters for me.

[quote name='kida101']Brain Age 1 or 2...cuz of the sudoku.[/QUOTE]

QFT

Also might look at one of the many DS puzzle games.

Warioware, Feel the Magic, Rub Rabbits, and Mario Kart are other good time wasters for me.

bread's done
Back