Suggestions on an upscaling DVD player

Mr Unoriginal

CAGiversary!
Feedback
111 (100%)
I'm picking up a 42" Sony Wega LCD HDTV this week and want to get an upscaling DVD player to go along with it and, of course, impress the ladies.

Don't really want to spend more than a $100 but it sounds like I can get something for less than that. Any suggestions or personal reccomendations?

i honestly have not heard of anything better than this Oppo player (other than the Toshiba HD-DVD player. It costs $149 but from several people I know and the reviews, its upscalling quality is unparalleled.

hope this helps.

I'm sure a stand alone player would be better, but you could get a VGA cable for your 360. Then put the bigger money towards the HD-DVD add-on.

I never heard of Oppo, but Circuit City and Amazon have the Sony 5-DVD upscaling (1080i max) carousel for about $130.

upconvert + Sony + not having to change the disc after every movie = excellent.

The load time is quick (I've heard stories of awful load time with some), and the upconvert seems pretty good on my 37" Vizio. Of course, I've been too lazy to actually rent a 2nd copy of a movie I own, hook up a standard DVD player to the components, and compare them back and forth playing at the same time like I plan on doing one day...

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-DVPNC85H-5-Disc-Progressive-Changer/dp/B000EDK8XC/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-3130119-8527347?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1173680756&sr=8-1

The only negative reviews stem from the blokes who buy it for the CD player function and find out it won't do multi-disc random shuffle. (the 2nd most worthless function of a carousel right behind A-B repeat).

Another vote for OPPO. I was looking into an upscaling DVD player as well and kept running across OPPO. But they're expensive for me.

whats the oppo compatability with playing dvd-r and +r? I have a lot of my movies backed up that way, and my upconverting philips plays everything I throw at it and id like an oppo if itd be the same way.

[quote name='BasketCase1080']whats the oppo compatability with playing dvd-r and +r? I have a lot of my movies backed up that way, and my upconverting philips plays everything I throw at it and id like an oppo if itd be the same way.[/QUOTE]

How is the Phillips? The price is definately right, but it is also $50-$100 less than everything else, so does the quality suffer?

[quote name='Kerig']I never heard of Oppo, but Circuit City and Amazon have the Sony 5-DVD upscaling (1080i max) carousel for about $130.

upconvert + Sony + not having to change the disc after every movie = excellent.

The load time is quick (I've heard stories of awful load time with some), and the upconvert seems pretty good on my 37" Vizio. Of course, I've been too lazy to actually rent a 2nd copy of a movie I own, hook up a standard DVD player to the components, and compare them back and forth playing at the same time like I plan on doing one day...

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-DVPNC85H-5-Disc-Progressive-Changer/dp/B000EDK8XC/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-3130119-8527347?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1173680756&sr=8-1

The only negative reviews stem from the blokes who buy it for the CD player function and find out it won't do multi-disc random shuffle. (the 2nd most worthless function of a carousel right behind A-B repeat).[/QUOTE]

That Sony player is a piece of crap. I would not recommend getting that one. If you are looking for one under $100, Panasonic makes a decent one though.

I work at a CC and that Sony player is on display. We have had to replace three in the last 6 months because they stopped reading discs.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']How is the Phillips? The price is definately right, but it is also $50-$100 less than everything else, so does the quality suffer?[/QUOTE]

IMO not at all. Makes all my regular dvds look amazing. For example... last night mission impssible 2 was on tnt hd and looked comparable to my own copy on dvd upconverted.

theres this samsung one its great my cousin has it and it max is 1080i its really good through HDMI it was like 90

I bought an upscaling off brand (JSI) from Sears about a month or two back. It was on clearance for $40 so YMMV but it came with a HDMI cable and upconverts to 1080i and has progressive scan capabilities so its worth looking into. *This is my first post so sorry if I have done something wrong

[quote name='zewone']You have a 360? Use that. Or, get the HD-DVD player for it.[/QUOTE]

The HD-DVD player of the 360 does not upscale SD DVDs. Well, it DOES, but it has to be connected by a VGA cable and the normal 360 drive can upscale anyway.

[quote name='gizmogc']The HD-DVD player of the 360 does not upscale SD DVDs. Well, it DOES, but it has to be connected by a VGA cable and the normal 360 drive can upscale anyway.[/QUOTE]
Right. What I meant, though I didn't explain myself, is that some people are paranoid of using the 360 as a DVD player, in fear of the drive dying. If he was one of those people, I would suggest the HD-DVD player so there is less wear and tear on the 360 drive.

[quote name='zewone']You have a 360? Use that. Or, get the HD-DVD player for it.[/QUOTE]

I thought there was a thread here that said that the 360 doesn't upscale DVDs? When I play a DVD on my 360 now, the my HDTV goes to 480.

Fry's currently has a refurb model that does upscaling over HDMI and DiVX for $40. Hard to go too far wrong for that price. I'm thinking of getting it just for the DiVX support.

For the Xbox 360 you need the VGA cable. You can get one for $9.99 used at EB/GS (store locator on their site works). Or Play Asia has one for $11.30 shipped or one with an optical audio out for $13.30 shipped.

I've got both the 360 and the Phillips DVP5960. I personally prefer the DVP5960, mainly due to it being a HDMI connection rather than component (360); and the USB port for harddrive divx reading.

If you dont have a price range, Oppo makes the BEST upscaling dvd players you can get. They can run pretty high though. If you're looking cheap, go with the DVP5960, its available for as low as $50.

Yes oppo all the way, From what I have read on AVS Forum is that a Good progressive scan player is better than most up scaling DVD players. And remember your TV up converts anyway and it has a good scaler in it so if you do buy a up convert DVD player make sure you get one with a Faroudja chip set or I doubt you will see much improvement. Also here is some good stuff for research http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=423609

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']I thought there was a thread here that said that the 360 doesn't upscale DVDs? When I play a DVD on my 360 now, the my HDTV goes to 480.[/quote]

How can you tell it goes to 480?

I also have a 42inch Sony WEGA with Sony's Dream System.
How can I tell when I play a movie whether its playing on 480 720 or 1080?

I watch movies and I change the color setting on the tv from standard to vivid and I can't complain they look great. Same with my PS2, I change the color settings on the tv. I still play Smackdown vs RAW, and my cousin who has an xbox360 is surprised. He says that my PS2 game graphics looks like his 360 game graphics.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']I thought there was a thread here that said that the 360 doesn't upscale DVDs? When I play a DVD on my 360 now, the my HDTV goes to 480.[/QUOTE]
It can upscale up to 1080p with VGA cables. Since you're getting a LCD HDTV, I'm thinking it should have a VGA port.

[quote name='D_Icon']

How can you tell it goes to 480?

How can I tell when I play a movie whether its playing on 480 720 or 1080?[/quote]

On my TV, it tells me what resolution my TV is outputting at in the top left corner. When I start my 360, it says 1080i, if I throw a DVD in, it says 480p.

The Panasonic DVD-S52K (or S if you want silver) is a great looking and feature rich upconveting player that usually only runs about $70 or so, the hardest part is finding one now (just recently went off the market as they get ready to crank out the 2007 players in May)

[quote name='D_Icon']How can you tell it goes to 480?

How can I tell when I play a movie whether its playing on 480 720 or 1080?

I watch movies and I change the color setting on the tv from standard to vivid and I can't complain they look great. Same with my PS2, I change the color settings on the tv. I still play Smackdown vs RAW, and my cousin who has an xbox360 is surprised. He says that my PS2 game graphics looks like his 360 game graphics.[/QUOTE]

Zewone more or less answered it, but more specifically, press the "Display" button on the remote and it should come up in the upper right.

[quote name='zewone']It can upscale up to 1080p with VGA cables. Since you're getting a LCD HDTV, I'm thinking it should have a VGA port.

On my TV, it tells me what resolution my TV is outputting at in the top left corner. When I start my 360, it says 1080i, if I throw a DVD in, it says 480p.[/QUOTE]

You Should set your 360 720p always match the native resolution. The 360 has a damn good scaler and all games are native to 720p what your doing is scaling 720p to 1080i then back to 720p. The TV will always show the signal that is being input in be it 480i or 1080p but the TV has to scale it to its native resolution its a fixed pixel display .

[quote name='Kfoster1979']You Should set your 360 720p always match the native resolution. The 360 has a damn good scaler and all games are native to 720p what your doing is scaling 720p to 1080i then back to 720p. The TV will always show the signal that is being input in be it 480i or 1080p but the TV has to scale it to its native resolution its a fixed pixel display .[/QUOTE]
My HDTV is 1080i native.

A vote for the oppo from me, Astonishing player, I've got a KVL-46v2500 sony 1080p set. The combo is amazing. I can't even bear to look at other dvd players. I've got the 981 for the hdmi and 1080 upscaling amazingness. Buy it, dvds are cheap, you can stretch the bank for a dvd player you'll be using for years.

[quote name='Kfoster1979']What sony do you have?[/QUOTE]
I don't have a Sony. I have a Philips 30PW8420. I think you have me confused with the OP, Mr. Unoriginal.

[quote name='zewone']I don't have a Sony. I have a Philips 30PW8420. I think you have me confused with the OP, Mr. Unoriginal.[/QUOTE]

Yes Yes I did sorry about that

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']How is the Phillips? The price is definately right, but it is also $50-$100 less than everything else, so does the quality suffer?[/QUOTE]

I own it and it has it's good points and bad points. For one the remote kinda sucks. There's so few buttons that you need to use the menu select buttons to fast forward and options like language is MIA. The thing also doesn't make it easy to change the aspect ratio so if you pop in a TV DVD, you need to scroll through all the options. It is a real pain in the ass which is why I just use a normal DVD player for those. But if you're looking for something to play anamorphic 16x9 DVD movies this is it.

P.S. you need to order an HDMI cable from Monoprice, it isn't included.

[quote name='bobthecat23']theres this samsung one its great my cousin has it and it max is 1080i its really good through HDMI it was like 90[/quote]

I have this one Samsung dvd v9650 ...yeah it has hdmi and upconversion is 720p/1080i and its dvd-r cd-r/rw compatible.Got mine for around 100.got it at bb...

I Just bought the Sony DVP-NS75H from CC for 94.99. I hooked it up with my HDMI Cable I bought from Monoprice.com and hooked up a set of Standard RCA Cables. I popped in King Kong and I was switching inputs to see the big difference.

From what I can tell the Picture and Color gets a tiny bit better on the HDMI then the RCA. But what I'm tring to figure out if it's 100.00 better then the RCA connections. Hmmmmm....

[quote name='bobthecat23']http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Samsung-Hi-Def-Conversion-DVD-Player-DVD-HD860/sem/rpsm/oid/146863/catOid/-12873/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do this one is 90$ and u can get a cheap hdmi from mono price or playasia[/QUOTE]
i have that player, i am very satisfied with it.
older dvds dont look so hot with it, like the movie, "the bear" but more recent movies and anything recorded digitally look great upconverted.
i havent tried upconverting to 1080p as my lcd doesnt display it.

bread's done
Back