Suggestions: TV Shows on DVD

cdeener

CAGiversary!
Feedback
28 (100%)
I am looking to buy some shows on DVD and need some suggestions. The main thing I like are comedies.

Here is what I have so far:

Sanford and Son Second Season
Sanford and Son Third Season
In Living Color First Season
In Living Color Second Season
Chappelle Show First Season
Chappelle Show Second Season
King of Queens Season Two
Good Times Second Season
Good Times Third Season
Family Guy Volume 1

[quote name='crazytalkx']Scrubs!!!![/QUOTE]

Season 2 this fall, Season 1 out now!

Reno 911 Very Funny
Seinfeld Don't like that much
Rescue Me Haven't watch seen it yet but have heard good things
Nip/Tuck Don't really like it much
Simpsons Seen too many episodes in syndication
Family Guy Love this show waiting to get the Second Volume on sale
Scrubs One of my favorite shows will buy it when I find it on sale
Everybody loves Raymond Like it somewhat but don't want it on DVD
Arrested Development Will purchase it is so funny
Undeclared haven't heard of it but I'll look into it
Curb Your Enthusiasm Don't like Larry David that much
Sports Night I enjoyed it very much

adult swim shows, if yer into those--especially Sealab, Aqua Teen and Space Ghost!

and Aeon Flux, if you can find a non bootleg copy that costs less than an arm and a leg.

Arrested Development, Scrubs, Sports Night. I have watched all of AD about 4 times, Sports Night 3 times, and Scrubs just once (it just came out).

[quote name='alonzomourning23']Why doesn't anyone ever listen when I tell them to buy "corner gas"?[/QUOTE]

I will get some more information about it first.

[quote name='dental_regurgitation']How can you guys afford these box sets? They're priced ridiculously high...[/QUOTE]

I don't think most of them are that high... think about it. A full season is typically 22 episodes. If it is a one hour program, that is about 18-19 hours of entertainment right there. It's very comparable to a few film DVD purchases.

I love TV on DVD. I honestly rarely watch "live" TV anymore between DVD's and TiVo.

[quote name='dental_regurgitation']How can you guys afford these box sets? They're priced ridiculously high...[/QUOTE]

For the ones I own I only paid about a average of 15 bucks. The reason I asked for suggestions is so when I see some box sets on sale I know which are better to get then waste my money on something that won't get watched often.

holy shit, Aeon Flux is going for $150....nevermind on that.

I hope the movie brings about a rerelease of an updated version of the DVD with all the missing episodes.

Reno 911! (Seasons 1 & 2 are out now! Must buy! I absolutely love the show, as you can probably tell)

South Park (Seasons 1-5 are out now. A bit pricey, but if you like the show, it's worth it)

Kids in the Hall (Seasons 1 & 2 out now. Season 3 only available through the web; available in stores in October; funny sketch comedy; great stuff)

Viva La Bam (Seasons 1-3 out now; not sure if it's fully comedy, but I love it)

Chappelle's Show (Seasons 1 & 2 out now! Awesome DVD set; great rewatchability)

[quote name='Saucy Jack']Reno 911! (Seasons 1 & 2 are out now! Must buy! I absolutely love the show, as you can probably tell)

South Park (Seasons 1-5 are out now. A bit pricey, but if you like the show, it's worth it)

Kids in the Hall (Seasons 1 & 2 out now. Season 3 only available through the web; available in stores in October; funny sketch comedy; great stuff)

Viva La Bam (Seasons 1-3 out now; not sure if it's fully comedy, but I love it)

Chappelle's Show (Seasons 1 & 2 out now! Awesome DVD set; great rewatchability)[/QUOTE]

I haven't really seen Reno 911 but the few times I've watched it is hilarious.

Don't really care for South Park anymore.

Kids in the Hall is a great comedy sketch show. When I can find it on the cheap might have to pick it up.

I love Viva La Bam. Bam just does some outragous shit to his family. When I find it on the cheap I will pick it up.

Already know about Chappelle's Show own both seasons and can't wait for the third if it ever happens.

Reno 911! Season 1 is pretty easy to find cheap nowadays. Season 2 is a bit pricey, though at around $30. I took the plunge on it though 'cause I love the show and I don't regret it one bit.

Viva La Bam Season 1 is easy to find cheap as well. Brand new it doesn't run over $20. I think Wal-Mart might have it for $15. Like Reno 911! Season 2, Viva La Bam Seasons 2&3 runs about $25-30. It's a great set, though. The bonus disc rocks. I took the plunge on it and I don't regret it, either.

[quote name='tornadomann']arrested development, Viva La Bam, and American Chopper[/QUOTE]

Forgot about American Chopper. I have both of the season sets; good stuff.

Sorry to skew away from the thread, but I figured it would be better to ask here than to start a new thread. Hopefully someone can help me.

As you all know, I love Reno 911!, and I have been looking into the actors/writers' past work. I know that a bunch of them came from The State. Does anyone have any info on where I can find episodes of The State or Viva Variety. I want to see more stuff from these people, and I figure it would be best to get into those shows. I know that The State isn't going to be released on DVD soon due to "red tape" issues.

Has anyone seen "The State" or "Viva Variety"?

[quote name='WeaponX2099']OMG The state kicked ass. Check out Stella too. Comedy central's tuesday is basically The State.[/QUOTE]

I've seen Stella's live/stage stuff, and it was excellent. However, I'm not really digging their Comedy Central show, unfortunately. From what I've read about The State, it sounds great. I just wish that there was a way to see it. If they could just get the DVD out, I'd give it a blind buy.

Here are my suggestions:

- Complete your Sanford & Son collection
- All in the Family
- Baretta
- Taxi
- Alias
- Twin Peaks
- Carnivale
- Have Gun -- Will Travel
- Dragnet
- N.Y.P.D. Blue
- Gilmore Girls
- Ren & Stimpy
- King of the Hill
- Pete & Pete
- Freaks & Geeks

I should place emphasis on probably Alias, Pete & Pete and Carnivale. Amazing television shows.

[quote name='starman9000']Freaks and Geeks,
The Office (bbc)
Arrested Development
Scrubs
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Futurama[/QUOTE]
This is an excellent list of choices, and you couldn't go wrong with any of them. Add in NewsRadio, Reno 911, and Wonderfalls and the list is just about perfect, IMHO.

[quote name='Danimal']This is an excellent list of choices, and you couldn't go wrong with any of them. Add in NewsRadio, Reno 911, and Wonderfalls and the list is just about perfect, IMHO.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Reno is great, I just ordered it from DDD. I have Wonderfalls on loan and am having trouble getting into it. I thought NewsRadio was funny but havent considered buying it. Is it really that good?

Enjoy all the suggestions. I will keep most in mind when I am looking at sales to see if it is in my price range. I try to keep it cheap as possible that is why I don't buy any set at full price.

[quote name='Saucy Jack']Forgot about American Chopper. I have both of the season sets; good stuff.

Sorry to skew away from the thread, but I figured it would be better to ask here than to start a new thread. Hopefully someone can help me.

As you all know, I love Reno 911!, and I have been looking into the actors/writers' past work. I know that a bunch of them came from The State. Does anyone have any info on where I can find episodes of The State or Viva Variety. I want to see more stuff from these people, and I figure it would be best to get into those shows. I know that The State isn't going to be released on DVD soon due to "red tape" issues.

Has anyone seen "The State" or "Viva Variety"?[/QUOTE]

I don't know where you can find episodes of The State or Viva, but I used to watch both shows pretty regularly when they were on. On Viva, I remember that Thomas Lennon was the host and Kerri Kinney was in it as well. I don't remember a hell of a lot about the show but I remember I thought it was funny.

Reno 911! season 1 and 2 were excellent but season 3 is really letting me down. The show is completely different than the first two seasons, and it's not an improvement. The skits from 1 and 2 were all about the interaction between the officers while on calls, at headquaters, etc. So far in season 3, that dynamic seems to be completely gone. I've heard that season 3 and 4 were filmed at the same time and at first I thought that was good news. With the current direction of the show, I'm not so sure.

reno 911
mr. show
golden girls
futurama
family guy
aqua teen hunger force
harvey birdman
space ghost
simpsons

bread's done
Back