Suicide Bomber Killed in London Not Linked to Blasts!

trytej

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
Man Killed In London Not Linked to Car Bombings

LONDON - Police identified the man who was chased down in a subway and shot to death by plainclothes officers as a Brazilian and said Saturday they no longer believed he was tied to the recent terror bombings.

Friday's shooting before horrified commuters prompted criticism of police for overreacting and expressions of fear that Asians and Muslims would be targeted by a "trigger-happy culture" after two well-coordinated attacks in two weeks.

Police expressed regret for the death of the man at the Stockwell subway station, identified Saturday as Jean Charles de Menezes, 27. Witnesses said he was wearing a heavy, padded coat when plainclothes police chased him into a subway car, pinned him to the ground and shot him about five times in the head and torso.

Hours after the shooting, Police Commissioner Ian Blair said the victim was "directly linked" to the investigations into attacks Thursday and July 7. In the latter, suicide bombings on trains and a bus killed 56 people, including four attackers.

Police initially said the victim attracted police attention because he left a house that was under surveillance after Thursday's bungled bombings, in which devices planted on three subway trains and a double-decker bus failed to detonate properly. Stockwell is near Oval station, one of those targeted.

"He was then followed by surveillance officers to the station. His clothing and his behavior at the station added to their suspicions," police said Friday.

But Saturday, a police official said on condition of anonymity that Menezes was "not believed to be connected in any way to any of the London bombings."

"For somebody to lose their life in such circumstances is a tragedy and one that the Metropolitan Police Service regrets," a spokesman said on condition of anonymity, which is police policy.

However, police did not explain what went wrong or say whether Menezes had done anything illegal.

In Brazil, the Foreign Ministry said it was "shocked and perplexed" by the death of Menezes, whom it did not name but described as "apparently the victim of a lamentable mistake."

The ministry said it expected British authorities to explain the circumstances of the shooting, and Foreign Minister Celso Amorim would try to arrange a meeting with British Foreign Secretary Jack Straw during a visit to London.

Brazilian media reported that Menezes was an electrician who had been legally living and working in England for the past three years. He originally came from the small city of Gonzaga, some 500 miles northeast of Sao Paulo in the state of Minas Gerais.

"He spoke English very well, and had permission to study and work there," Menezes' cousin Maria Alves told the O Globo Online Web site from her home in Sao Paulo.

Menezes' family was Roman Catholic. When asked if he had become Muslim in Britain, Agostino Ferreira Rosa, a policeman in Gonzaga said: "According to his family, he had nothing to do with Muslims or Islamism. He was Catholic."

"There was no reason to think he was a terrorist," Menezes' grandmother, Zilda Ambrosia de Figueiredo, told the Globo TV late Saturday. "He was very easygoing and very communicative with everybody. It's terrible what they have done to him."

Mayor Ken Livingstone said the killing was a "human tragedy" that was a consequence of the attacks.

"The police acted to do what they believed necessary to protect the lives of the public," he said. "This tragedy has added another victim to the toll of deaths for which the terrorists bear responsibility."

Livingstone drew a hard line before the mistake became clear, declaring that anyone believed to be a suicide bomber faced a "shoot-to-kill policy."

The shooting was an indication of the nervousness and anxiety around the city of about 8 million people. A police watchdog organization, the Independent Police Complaints Commission, said it would investigate the shooting but make sure not to hinder the bombings probe.

Shami Chakrabarti, director of the civil rights group Liberty, said such an investigation was critical for reassuring the public.

"It's incredibly important that society remains united at such a tense time, it's very important that young Asian men don't feel that there is some kind of trigger-happy culture out there," Chakrabarti said.

The Islamic Human Rights Commission said "in the current climate of anti-Muslim hysteria, IHRC fears that innocent people may lose their lives due to the new shoot to kill policy."

Iqbal Sacranie, secretary-general of the Muslim Council of Britain, said, "It's absolutely vital that the utmost care is taken to ensure that innocent people are not killed due to overzealousness."

Police have made two arrests in the Stockwell neighborhood following Thursday's attacks. The second arrest was made late Friday "in connection with our inquiries" into those attacks, Metropolitan Police said.

Police have not released many details of the arrests, including the identities of those in custody.

Thousands of officers fanned out in a huge manhunt amid hopes the publication of closed-circuit TV images of four suspected attackers would lead to their capture. Blair declined to say if the men in custody were among the four pictured.

Security alerts kept Londoners on edge, and fears of a new terrorist attack led Italian soccer powerhouse Inter Milan to cancel its English tour because of safety concerns, a decision criticized by England's Norwich City soccer team.

""For Inter Milan to refuse to travel because of the threat of terrorism is simply giving in to the terrorists," said the team's chief executive, Neil Doncaster.

Hundreds of people also gathered Saturday to mourn Anthony Fatayi-Williams, a 26-year-old oil executive among those killed July 7.

"The cathedral is full. I can see Nigerians, people from different backgrounds, white and black, I can see people of all ages gathered here representing the different races of humankind," said his uncle, Tom Ikimi, a former Nigerian foreign affairs minister.

Wow.

This is a repost. Didnt you read the other thread and keep yourself updated? Some people like Rich still said he deserve to be shot regardless.

But does anyone honestly take Rich seriously? He's like PAD, except less entertaining.

[quote name='beguile']This is a repost. Didnt you read the other thread and keep yourself updated? Some people like Rich still said he deserve to be shot regardless.[/QUOTE]

And you should be too if you run from police into a crowded subway with a suspicious looking coat.

Didn't we already establish that there are any number of situations in which someone in a crowded subway station could miss someone telling them to stop running? It's clearly a case of excessive force, but the policeman's actions are understandable. But even taking into account the heightened sense of tension in London, you don't see anything wrong with tackling him, then shooting him 5 times? In the other thread, someone mentioned 20 cops in the area. Couldn't any of those policemen restrained the person in a non-lethal fashion?

As Scotland Yard said: it's a tragedy. It's sad someone was mistakenly gunned down. The cops should be treated with a decent amount of leniency, taking into account the situation, but still... Better judgement could have been used.

Oh, and Rich? I reccomend to you compassionate conservatism.

[quote name='Rich']And you should be too if you run from police into a crowded subway with a suspicious looking coat.[/QUOTE]
What exactly is a 'suspicious looking coat'? Please be precise, because I certainly don't want to accidentily buy one, since apparently that's a crime punishable by death. As for running from police, so far, there's a distinct lack of evidence that he even knew he was being followed by police. Although there's a lot of missing information that hasn't officially been filled in yet, it doesn't appear that he broke into a run after police tried to stop him. Instead, the police were following him when he suddenly started running (possibly because he realized he was about to miss his train?) At that point, they ran him down, tacked him, and shot him.

[quote name='Drocket']What exactly is a 'suspicious looking coat'? Please be precise, because I certainly don't want to accidentily buy one, since apparently that's a crime punishable by death. As for running from police, so far, there's a distinct lack of evidence that he even knew he was being followed by police. Although there's a lot of missing information that hasn't officially been filled in yet, it doesn't appear that he broke into a run after police tried to stop him. Instead, the police were following him when he suddenly started running (possibly because he realized he was about to miss his train?) At that point, they ran him down, tacked him, and shot him.[/QUOTE]

And when all the information has "officially been filled in," then perhaps my opinion will change.

[quote name='Rich']And when all the information has "officially been filled in," then perhaps my opinion will change.[/QUOTE]
The fact that the police refuse to publicly say exactly what happens would indicate that its not real good for their side. Its hard to believe that if they had nice, clean, easy justification for their actions, they wouldn't share it to avoid the shitstorm of bad publicity that they're currently getting hit with.

[quote name='Drocket']What exactly is a 'suspicious looking coat'? Please be precise, because I certainly don't want to accidentily buy one, since apparently that's a crime punishable by death. As for running from police, so far, there's a distinct lack of evidence that he even knew he was being followed by police. Although there's a lot of missing information that hasn't officially been filled in yet, it doesn't appear that he broke into a run after police tried to stop him. Instead, the police were following him when he suddenly started running (possibly because he realized he was about to miss his train?) At that point, they ran him down, tacked him, and shot him.[/QUOTE]

Well, here's a witnesses account (though it should be taken with a grain of salt, considering he, and most others, thought he was asian)

Mark Whitby said: "I was sitting on the train... I heard a load of noise, people saying, 'Get out, get down'.

"I saw an Asian guy. He ran on to the train, he was hotly pursued by three plain clothes officers, one of them was wielding a black handgun.

"He half tripped... they pushed him to the floor and basically unloaded five shots into him," he told BBC News 24.

"As [the suspect] got onto the train I looked at his face, he looked sort of left and right, but he basically looked like a cornered rabbit, a cornered fox.

"He looked absolutely petrified and then he sort of tripped, but they were hotly pursuing him, [they] couldn't have been any more than two or three feet behind him at this time and he half tripped and was half pushed to the floor and the policeman nearest to me had the black automatic pistol in his left hand. "He held it down to the guy and unloaded five shots into him........

"I didn't see any guns or anything like that - I didn't see him carrying anything. I didn't even see a bag to be quite honest.

"I got into the ticket hall. I was approached by a policeman and London Underground staff asking me if I needed counselling.
"I was just basically saying I've just seen a man shot dead. I've seen a man shot dead. I was distraught, totally distraught. It was no less than five yards away from where I was sitting. I actually saw it with my own eyes."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4706913.stm

I think he clearly knew he was running from someone, but a better argument would be if he knew he was actually running from the police, since many of them were plainclothes. He could have saw a guy with a gun and then a bunch of people chasing after him, but not realized they were police. Considering it seems that those who were closest to him were plainclothes, this is very possible in my mind.

[quote name='alonzomourning23']Well, here's a witnesses account (though it should be taken with a grain of salt, considering he, and most others, thought he was asian)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4706913.stm

I think he clearly knew he was running from someone, but a better argument would be if he knew he was actually running from the police, since many of them were plainclothes. He could have saw a guy with a gun and then a bunch of people chasing after him, but not realized they were police. Considering it seems that those who were closest to him were plainclothes, this is very possible in my mind.[/QUOTE]

You bring up a good point. I wonder if any of the police running after him were actually in uniform.

If the guy was already down, why did they need to shoot him?

Something about this isn't sitting too well with me. It sounds like both sides were "wrong".

Don't bother talking to Rich. It's like talking to a brink wall. You throw a ball at it and it balls back. The wall can't think for themselves. You rather spend your energy talking to someone that's open minded and intelligent. Someone rather less rigid and less stubborn.

[quote name='beguile']Don't bother talking to Rich. It's like talking to a brink wall. You throw a ball at it and it balls back. The wall can't think for themselves. You rather spend your energy talking to someone that's open minded and intelligent. Someone rather less rigid and less stubborn.[/QUOTE]
Well you see, there's a problem there: nearly all the rational people already agree with me on most topics, which doesn't really leave much to discuss. For a good argument (which I admit I enjoy), you need to find someone who disagrees with you. Its just an unfortunate fact of life that most of the people in that category are completely nuts or totally disconnected with reality. Basically, I'm just making due with what I have, in terms of debate opponents...

[quote name='Drocket']Well you see, there's a problem there: nearly all the rational people already agree with me on most topics, which doesn't really leave much to discuss. For a good argument (which I admit I enjoy), you need to find someone who disagrees with you. Its just an unfortunate fact of life that most of the people in that category are completely nuts or totally disconnected with reality. Basically, I'm just making due with what I have, in terms of debate opponents...[/QUOTE]

I don't know that Rich is nuts, but he has admitted in another topic that he doesn't even believe what he types. So why argue? Even he doesn't even believe the bullshit he posts.

If you don't agree with something someone has said in a post, then you should feel free to say so. But, there's no need to insult the other person, directly. If you truly feel that someone has nothing to offer here, then the Ignore function will serve you much better than making snide remarks about him.

[quote name='RBM']If you don't agree with something someone has said in a post, then you should feel free to say so. But, there's no need to insult the other person, directly. If you truly feel that someone has nothing to offer here, then the Ignore function will serve you much better than making snide remarks about him.[/QUOTE]
But a day without a snide remark is like a day wasted. :lol:

Hundreds of relatives and friends of a Brazilian shot to death in London after being mistaken for a terrorist marched along the cobblestone streets of his hometown Gonzaga, demanding the arrest of the British police who fired the fatal shots.

Some of the protesters held banners denouncing British police as the real terrorists; other placards were adorned with snapshots of Jean Charles de Menezes, urging British Prime Minister Tony Blair to send his body home so it can be buried.

All said Blair's apology did not go far enough.

"Apologies don't help, we want justice," they chanted, stopping briefly to offer a prayer for the 27-year-old electrician who left Brazil to work in Britain so he could return home with enough savings to start a cattle ranch.

In London, Foreign Minister Celso Amorim said he had instructions from President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva "to take firm measures to defend the interests of the family of a Brazilian who died in an absurd manner."
AdvertisementAdvertisement

The militant Landless Rural Workers' Movement has scheduled protests tomorrow in front of the British embassy in the capital, Brasilia, and the consulate in Rio de Janeiro.

The movement said in a statement that Menezes "was assassinated in cold blood, victim of intolerance" and called for the British withdrawal from Iraq.

Gonzaga's mayor, outraged over news Menezes was shot seven times in the head and once in the shoulder, called the killing an "assassination."

"It's easy for Blair to apologise, but it doesn't mean very much," said Mayor Julio de Souza. "What happened to English justice and England, a place where police patrol unarmed?"

Many were angry that there is still no word on when the body might be shipped back to Gonzaga, a central Brazilian town of 6,000 where young men often head to the United States and Europe to finance a better life back home.

Menezes was killed last Friday, and Brazilians traditionally bury their dead no later than 24 hours after a person dies.

"We don't want apologies, he's ours and he should be here," said Maria Jose Carvalho, who has two sons working in the United States.

- AP

http://www.theage.com.au/news/war-o...london-shooting/2005/07/26/1122143826836.html

Now I don't know about you but I think this is pretty #%#@ed up. Got to love how europeans complain about our intolerant policies but when terror strikes look at that. Shot 7 times in the head... great

[quote name='Zoglog']http://www.theage.com.au/news/war-on-terror/brazilians-protest-over-london-shooting/2005/07/26/1122143826836.html

Now I don't know about you but I think this is pretty #%#@ed up. Got to love how europeans complain about our intolerant policies but when terror strikes look at that. Shot 7 times in the head... great[/QUOTE]

That would be a good argument, if there weren't plenty of europeans complaining. Let alone this is the u.k., which doesn't seem to consider itself european.

this situation is really jacked up. the part that keeps playing over and over in my head was how the police commissioner said that the brazilian was directly linked to terrorism before they found out that he obviously was not.

You see the funny thing is they can enact that kill policy BECAUSE it is Europe and not the USA. Because unlike here they don't have a bill of rights ;)

Sounds like the Brazillian might not have been wearing a "bulky" coat, nor did he jump the tube station barrier as earlier reported:

Relatives say Met admits that, contrary to reports, electrician did not leap tube station barrier

Mark Honigsbaum
Thursday July 28, 2005
The Guardian

Jean Charles de Menezes, the Brazilian shot dead in the head, was not wearing a heavy jacket that might have concealed a bomb, and did not jump the ticket barrier when challenged by armed plainclothes police, his cousin said yesterday.

Speaking at a press conference after a meeting with the Metropolitan police, Vivien Figueiredo, 22, said that the first reports of how her 27-year-old cousin had come to be killed in mistake for a suicide bomber on Friday at Stockwell tube station were wrong.

"He used a travel card," she said. "He had no bulky jacket, he was wearing a jeans jacket. But even if he was wearing a bulky jacket that wouldn't be an excuse to kill him."

Flanked by the de Menezes family's solicitor, Gareth Peirce, and by Bianca Jagger, the anti-Iraq war campaigner, she condemned the shoot-to-kill policy which had led to her cousin's death and vowed that what she called the "crime" would not go unpunished.

"My cousin was an honest and hard working person," said Ms Figueiredo who shared a flat with him in Tulse Hill, south London. "Although we are living in circumstances similar to a war, we should not be exterminating people unjustly."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/attackonlondon/story/0,16132,1537613,00.html

[quote name='E-Z-B']"Although we are living in circumstances similar to a war, we should not be exterminating people unjustly."[/QUOTE]

Testing the litigous waters with the big toe in the press, as it were. Let the family members of the shot Brazilian sue for damages. If the London courts award damages, then let's see how this will impact enforcement procedures for their anti-terrorism forces.

If I were on a jury hearing this case, I would not award damages. Not because I feel that the London officers were justified in the shooting, but because I would place greater weight on the downstream consequences for the public than on this family's suffering. Yes, I realize that I would be traumatized if it were my family member who had gotten shot...but, I am not one to sue a cop when suicide bombers are making daily headlines.

[edit: look at that, I've handed the terrorists their victory. How sad.]

[quote name='RBM']If I were on a jury hearing this case, I would not award damages. Not because I feel that the London officers were justified in the shooting, but because I would place greater weight on the downstream consequences for the public than on this family's suffering. Yes, I realize that I would be traumatized if it were my family member who had gotten shot...but, I am not one to sue a cop when suicide bombers are making daily headlines.[/QUOTE]
The terrorists have already won you over if you're willing to accept the loss of an innocent family member for something that doesn't make you one bit safer.

How is it that the British police have successfully captured all these terrorists alive lately but the one innocent guy they shoot 5-8 times in the head?

[quote name='MrBadExample']The terrorists have already won you over if you're willing to accept the loss of an innocent family member for something that doesn't make you one bit safer.

How is it that the British police have successfully captured all these terrorists alive lately but the one innocent guy they shoot 5-8 times in the head?[/QUOTE]

Cuz they played too many Video games :D?

[quote name='alonzomourning23']"Suicide bomer killed in london not linked to blasts", This title is just as bad.[/QUOTE]

If it was changed to this, it would be a litter better:

"Suicide bomber" killed in london not linked to blasts

according to leaked sources:

The documents, from the probe into the death of Jean Charles de Menezes and leaked to ITV news, suggest the he was restrained before shot by officers...........

The documents, including witness statements, also suggest Mr de Menezes did not hurdle the barrier at Stockwell tube station, as first reports previously suggested, and was not wearing a padded jacket that could have concealed a bomb.

But still, why was he running you ask?

The latest documents suggest Mr de Menezes had walked into Stockwell Tube station, picked up a free newspaper, walked through ticket barriers, had started to run when he saw a train arriving and was sitting down in a train when he was shot.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4157892.stm

To ad insult to injury, he was wearing a jight denim jacket, not a "bulging trenchcoat", and he was sitting down when police approached him.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20050817/wl_afp/britainattacksbrazil;_ylt=AjZPpJLvrBnI_S8eRdu3dPR0bBAF;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

LONDON (AFP) - British police face acute embarrassment after leaked documents showed that a Brazilian killed on suspicion of being a suicide bomber was not trying to flee and was being overpowered when he was shot in the head at point-blank range.

The documents and images, which show him pausing to pick up a newspaper and using his ticket to get into the London underground railway system, contradict earlier police claims and witness statements.

The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC), which is investigating the police killing of Jean Charles de Menezes, refused on Wednesday to confirm or deny the report broadcast late Tuesday.

Police shot the electrician, 27, after he boarded a subway train on July 22, a day after four would-be bombers tried but failed to repeat the July 7 blasts that killed 56 people.

The city was in tense mood with all four suspects having escaped and police and government officials warning of the risk of further attacks.

Initial reports said de Menezes had been acting suspiciously -- wearing a bulky jacket, jumping a ticket barrier at Stockwell Underground station, south London, and sprinting onto the train.

But witness accounts and photographs leaked to ITV television showed him in a light denim jacket walking calmly into Stockwell station.

They also revealed that de Menezes -- whose death brought to light a secret police "shoot to kill" policy in dealing with suspected suicide bombers -- was being restrained by an officer before being shot eight times, including seven bullets to the head, in front of horrified commuters.

In addition, a police officer outside his flat disclosed that he had failed to videotape de Menezes when the Brazilian left because he had gone on a toilet break.

"The officers who have done this have to be sent to jail for life because it's murder and the people who gave them the order to shoot must be punished," de Menezes's cousin Alex Alvez Pereira said.

"We won't rest until we have justice, even if it takes years," he told the Evening Standard newspaper.

Home Secretary Charles Clarke, also speaking to the Evening Standard, said he was "uneasy" about any death at the hands of the police and there needed to be a full investigation.

The ITV report indicated the operation was flawed from the start as police monitored de Menezes' block of flats in south London where they believed two of the July 21 suspects were living.

The undercover officer supposed to identify anyone leaving the building admitted he had been away from his post when the Brazilian left, "relieving myself", according to the network's report.

"At this time I was not able to transmit my observations and switch on the video camera at the same time. There is therefore no video footage of this male," he was quoted as saying.

Surveillance footage at Stockwell later captured the electrician arriving at a normal walking pace, collecting a free newspaper, then slowly descending to his train on an escalator.

Contrary to witness accounts on the day, he was seen to board the train via the middle doors before pausing, looking left and right, then sitting down in either the second or third seat facing the platform.

Moments later, police burst in and apparently restrained the Brazilian before pumping seven bullets into his head and one into his shoulder. Three more bullets missed him and the casings were left on the floor.

A member of the police surveillance team was quoted as saying: "I heard shouting, which included the word 'police', and turned to face the male in the denim jacket."

"He immediately stood up and advanced towards me and the SO19 (armed) officers ... I grabbed the male in the denim jacket by wrapping both my arms around his torso, pinning his arms to his side.

"I then pushed him back on to the seat where he had been previously sitting ... I then heard a gun shot very close to my left ear and was dragged away onto the floor of the carriage."

In a statement, the IPCC said it did not know the source of the leak, and that its investigation was continuing.

"Our priority is to disclose any findings direct to the family, who will clearly be distressed that they have received information on television concerning his death," it said.

There was no comment from the Metropolitan Police.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the whole situation makes me sick :cry:
:puke:

em·pa·thy (
ebreve.gif
m
prime.gif
p
schwa.gif
-th
emacr.gif
)n.1. Identification with and understanding of another's situation, feelings, and motives.

7-22-05
[quote name='doraemonkerpal']what if the guy was just trying to catch the train and was in a hurry? try to think outside the box sometimes instead of just black and white![/QUOTE]

7-23-05
[quote name='Rich AKA Mr. Sarcasm']I don't think you understand...he was late for his train![/QUOTE]

7-25-05
[quote name='Rich']And when all the information has "officially been filled in," then perhaps my opinion will change.[/QUOTE]

...:roll:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050818...R.9Q5gv;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

[quote name='article']...Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir Ian Blair told journalists on July 22, the day of the shooting, that Menezes failed to obey police instructions and officers said "his clothing and his behavior at the station added to (police) suspicions." While Blair initially insisted Menezes was linked to the terror investigation, it soon become clear that he had no connection to the failed attacks and police expressed their deep regret at the shooting.

A leaked report into Menezes' death that was made by public by Britain's ITV television on Tuesday also suggested the initial police statements about what happened that day were inaccurate.

Menezes was followed by officers for more than a half-hour before the shooting and no attempts were made to stop him, according to ITV. The surveillance officer who called in reports about Menezes described him as wearing a denim jacket and carrying nothing, but suggested he was "worth someone else having a look."

The Brazilian calmly entered the Stockwell tube station, paused to pick up a free newspaper and used his travel card to pass through the barriers, the closed-circuit footage showed.

After descending the escalator and running to catch his train, Menezes took a seat on the subway train and was pointed out to armed police by one of at least three surveillance officers who had been followed him.

The surveillance officer says he then "heard shouting which included the word 'police,'" ITV reported. Menezes stood up and walked toward the surveillance officer, who tackled Menezes and pushed him back into the seat, then "I heard a gunshot very close to my ear and was dragged away on to the floor," the officer said.

The Daily Mirror, citing unidentified police officials, reported Thursday that the officer leading the operation, Commander Cressida Dick, had ordered Menezes to be detained before he got on the train and to be taken alive. Police refused to comment on the reports...[/quote]

bread's done
Back