Suikoden now available on the US PSN store!!

Everybody buy this game! It's a fantastic RPG, well worth $6. Now, they need to get Suikoden II up there...

[quote name='Masterkyo']Suikonden 2 and thousand arms, alundra ;)[/quote]

Suikoden 2 is already out in japan.. so as long as this does okay then we will get it as well..

I'm seriously betting Sony is saving that and the final fantasy/chrono cross/others japan has for a better time.. like more towards spring/summer..

this is gonna sound stupid but im a noob ps3 owner is this for the PSP or can i play this on my Ps3?

edit: im an idiot, this is the psp forum *slaps forehead*

[quote name='AshesofWake']this is gonna sound stupid but im a noob ps3 owner is this for the PSP or can i play this on my Ps3?

edit: im an idiot, this is the psp forum *slaps forehead*[/quote]

All "classic" downloads on the PSN work on both platforms. So while this is the PSP forum, it's not entirely wrong to ask that question here considering it's about PSN and it spans both platforms.

I think however when dealing with non-classic games, you have to make two purchases on each platform version to get it on both, which sucks. I know Beats was this way when I purchased it way back when and I don't think I can transfer my Super Stardust HD over to my PSP either.

Can anyone give me some info on how the download works? I am thinking of upgrading my card, so will this matter for the game? Can I just copy it onto the new stick or is there some kind of DRM issue? I assume as long as I play it on the same PSP there shouldn't be any problems. Also, what happens if my PSP breaks or something?

Sorry for the noob questions, just never downloaded anything from the store that costs $$$.

[quote name='Ryukahn']Can anyone give me some info on how the download works? I am thinking of upgrading my card, so will this matter for the game? Can I just copy it onto the new stick or is there some kind of DRM issue? I assume as long as I play it on the same PSP there shouldn't be any problems. Also, what happens if my PSP breaks or something?

Sorry for the noob questions, just never downloaded anything from the store that costs $$$.[/QUOTE]

it should be tie to your PSP and not the memory card

[quote name='Draekon']All "classic" downloads on the PSN work on both platforms. So while this is the PSP forum, it's not entirely wrong to ask that question here considering it's about PSN and it spans both platforms.

I think however when dealing with non-classic games, you have to make two purchases on each platform version to get it on both, which sucks. I know Beats was this way when I purchased it way back when and I don't think I can transfer my Super Stardust HD over to my PSP either.[/QUOTE]

so since i dont have a psp i can download it and play it on my PS3???? omg omg omg. i did not know...thanks for that info!

[quote name='Ryukahn']Can anyone give me some info on how the download works? I am thinking of upgrading my card, so will this matter for the game? Can I just copy it onto the new stick or is there some kind of DRM issue? I assume as long as I play it on the same PSP there shouldn't be any problems. Also, what happens if my PSP breaks or something?

Sorry for the noob questions, just never downloaded anything from the store that costs $$$.[/quote]

The DRM that allows you to play the game goes to your PSP firmware and will stay even if you update. The game can then be transferred to any memory stick as long as it's played on your PSP.

[quote name='J7.']This is awesome, everyone buy it so we can see Suikoden II release on PSN.[/quote]

This and Wild Arms 2. Konami will hopefully put Silent Hill and MGS soon too.

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']Suikoden 2 is already out in japan.. so as long as this does okay then we will get it as well..

I'm seriously betting Sony is saving that and the final fantasy/chrono cross/others japan has for a better time.. like more towards spring/summer..[/QUOTE]

The odds are slim. I suspect this is such a giant pain in the ass because Sony wants all the money from publishing. Look at almost ALL the games listed over here on the PS Store. What do they say? SONY except for like two. This is probably one and then there's Tekken 2. I suspect it might have been in the contract that in order for Namco to offer T5 on PSN they had to offer a game on the PSN store at a discounted price or maybe vice versa with them getting more then usual for PS Store offerings and percentages.
Compare it to the Japanese PS Store. It's got EnixSquare and other's names on the games, no Sony for almost everything.

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']Suikoden 2 is already out in japan.. so as long as this does okay then we will get it as well..

I'm seriously betting Sony is saving that and the final fantasy/chrono cross/others japan has for a better time.. like more towards spring/summer..[/QUOTE]

Neither Suikoden is available on the JPN Playstation Store.

I'm playing through this game for the first time, and have two questions:

1) During one of the liberation army/imperial army 'battles,' one of my stars (Luc, ugh) died. His name is now on the star tablet, but greyed out. Can I resurrect him somehow?

2) What motivation do I have to recruit all 108 stars? I'm interested in finishing the game, but I don't feel exactly compelled to gather every bloody one of them if it's of no real consequence on how the game finishes up.

Mike,

1) Your FUBAR. You need to restart your game to keep LUC. One of the drawbacks would be I had to load a couple of saves/repeat battles from keeping this happen. Your hero can only permanently die in those big battles. Sucks.

2) You can get most without a guide, however some people require certain conditions and *scratchs head* I think by a certain time, at least in part two. Theres also one guy that's real hidden and I doubt you'll get him without a guide/walkthrough. Also you'll need all 108 stars to get that extra scene/best ending.

Oh, huh. Must they all be alive by the end of the game?

I couldn't care less about Luc, he was a useless character. Just wanted to know if I could revive him. Thanks for the headsup, though.

[quote name='mykevermin']Oh, huh. Must they all be alive by the end of the game? [/QUOTE]

Yes. Moreover, there's one character who becomes unrecruitable slightly before the point of no return for having all 108 stars.

I couldn't care less about Luc, he was a useless character.

Ironically, he's plot important in later games.

[quote name='mykevermin']Huh. So...does that mean I won't be able to finish the game since he's dead?[/QUOTE]

Nope just won't be able to get the 108 star ending, where basically a "special" event happens that you may or may not want to miss depending on your liking of a certain someone. It also effects Suikoden 2 if they decide to port it because a 108 star ending is needed for the "extras" in Suikoden 2.

BTW, Luc also plays a major rule in future Suikodens (especially part 3). If he dies in the first one I'm unsure if that plays a roll in your saved data for Suikoden 2, but I know the 108 stars is definitely a issue.

Is anybody playing this game on the PSP? How big is the file and does it support widescreen for the PSP and PS3? I don't mind spending $6 for a digital copy I can use on my PS3 too.

BTW I already ripped both games from personal collection and got it working for my psp. I even got Suikoden 1 save files to transfer over to Suikoden II with a little work of course. I even got the FMV to work on Suikoden II, it's like a prefect port to the PSone to PSP! So if Konami ever released Suikoden II on PSN store it should be possible to use your save files from Suikoden I over to Suikoden II.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Monsta Mack']Nope just won't be able to get the 108 star ending, where basically a "special" event happens that you may or may not want to miss depending on your liking of a certain someone. It also effects Suikoden 2 if they decide to port it because a 108 star ending is needed for the "extras" in Suikoden 2.

BTW, Luc also plays a major rule in future Suikodens (especially part 3). If he dies in the first one I'm unsure if that plays a roll in your saved data for Suikoden 2, but I know the 108 stars is definitely a issue.[/QUOTE]

That's fuckin' lame. The least they could have done is tell me "HEY DUDE RELOAD A SAVE FILE!"

It seemed so insignificant that he'd die in the game. It's an RPG after all, it's either inevitable as a part of the game progression (e.g.,
Gremio sacrificin' his submissive lil' self
), or something that happens in the midst of battle that you simply find the in-game Phoenix Down or whatever to use and revive. Permanent death in an RPG can suck my ass, especially when they treat it so nonchalantly.

Ugh. Maybe I'll download a PSX savefile for Suikoden II when (if?) it comes out in the PSN.

Thanks for the headsup, though. What a dreadful game design, especially since it seems due to random assignment (he died in an army battle, so it wasn't like I was suckin' on the battlefield - the game decided Luc was dead).

[quote name='mykevermin']That's fuckin' lame. The least they could have done is tell me "HEY DUDE RELOAD A SAVE FILE!"

It seemed so insignificant that he'd die in the game. It's an RPG after all, it's either inevitable as a part of the game progression (e.g.,
Gremio sacrificin' his submissive lil' self
), or something that happens in the midst of battle that you simply find the in-game Phoenix Down or whatever to use and revive. Permanent death in an RPG can suck my ass, especially when they treat it so nonchalantly.

Ugh. Maybe I'll download a PSX savefile for Suikoden II when (if?) it comes out in the PSN.

Thanks for the headsup, though. What a dreadful game design, especially since it seems due to random assignment (he died in an army battle, so it wasn't like I was suckin' on the battlefield - the game decided Luc was dead).[/quote]

About your spoiler
I don't know if you know but if 108 of your Star is still alive at a certain point in the game you can bring Gremio back, so this is another reason to collect and keep all of your star alive.

[quote name='mykevermin']Nah, I had one game save and I'm not goin' back. That's fuckin' stoopid, stoopid game design.[/quote]

Yeah it suck but you do know that keeping all 108 stars alive and using the save data for Suikoden I will unlock a cool surprise for Suikoden II right?

Suikoden II is way better than the first one.

Like I said, I'll finish the game as is and probably try to download a gamesave from Gamefaqs or somewhere. It's not guaranteed that we'll get Suikoden II on the PSN, but I'm damn sure hoping so.

[quote name='mykevermin']Like I said, I'll finish the game as is and probably try to download a gamesave from Gamefaqs or somewhere. It's not guaranteed that we'll get Suikoden II on the PSN, but I'm damn sure hoping so.[/quote]

Yeah I guess you can do that. I'm hoping for Suikoden II as well.

[quote name='blueweltall']Is anybody playing this game on the PSP? How big is the file and does it support widescreen for the PSP and PS3? I don't mind spending $6 for a digital copy I can use on my PS3 too.

BTW I already ripped both games from personal collection and got it working for my psp. I even got Suikoden 1 save files to transfer over to Suikoden II with a little work of course. I even got the FMV to work on Suikoden II, it's like a prefect port to the PSone to PSP! So if Konami ever released Suikoden II on PSN store it should be possible to use your save files from Suikoden I over to Suikoden II.[/quote]
Suikoden is playable on PS3 too? In addition to playing the dl on PSP?

[quote name='J7.']Suikoden is playable on PS3 too? In addition to playing the dl on PSP?[/quote]

Yeah I'm pretty sure that's what it said in the PSN store.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']It also effects Suikoden 2 if they decide to port it because a 108 star ending is needed for the "extras" in Suikoden 2.[/QUOTE]

In order to get
McDohl
in Suikoden II all you need is a save from the final save point of Suikoden I (in
Gregminster
); doesn't matter how many stars you have. The only thing 108 stars changes is whether
Gremio
is there with him (either way, only
McDohl
is recruitable). I'm not even sure the dialogue changes.

So the net effect of not having 108 stars in the transfer save is rather minimal as far as Suikoden II is concerned.

EDIT: Apparently having 108 stars also gets you a cooking recipe in SII. Who knew.

Oh, and having Luc dead won't have any effect on his presence/recruitability in SII, either (in fact, he's mandatory again).

Well, if I'm gonna be a noob at something, might as well be this.

Doesn't change that it's a dumbass game design (permanent death based on random assignment). But, hey, this was out in 1996 or so. I hope the following games don't have that bullshit in them.

I think it's in all of the following games? Yes, it's really stupid, but IMO getting all 108 stars is only really worth doing in S III.

[quote name='pete5883']I think it's in all of the following games? Yes, it's really stupid, but IMO getting all 108 stars is only really worth doing in S III.[/quote]

Was there ever a guide to Suikoden III? I never finished Suikoden III or IV. I finished Suikoden V though, that game was just awesome. Hopefully if the DS Suikoden game sell well we get a Suikoden VI for the next-gen system.

The player has more control over whether characters die in later games since the war battle systems are more intricate (e.g. grid based). Also because I don't recall anything like the
rather difficult duel you have to win to save Pahn
happening again.

There's an excellent guide for III on gamefaqs, I forget which one it is. Also, after III you don't load the data, on IV at least it doesn't load, which was estupido as I had all 108 stars at the end of III. (good game, too, III I mean)

[quote name='Magus8472']The player has more control over whether characters die in later games since the war battle systems are more intricate (e.g. grid based). Also because I don't recall anything like the
rather difficult duel you have to win to save Pahn
happening again.[/quote]

That was supposed to be hard? All you had to do was use him to about level 26-30.. two battles near the Secret Factory and he was at everyone else's level.. 2 guardian rings + his weapon at level 9/10.. it was a joke. The guy you fight almost always desperate attacks.

Suikoden 3 had one hard one.. I think part 2 did as well.

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']That was supposed to be hard? All you had to do was use him to about level 26-30.. two battles near the Secret Factory and he was at everyone else's level.. 2 guardian rings + his weapon at level 9/10.. it was a joke. The guy you fight almost always desperate attacks.[/QUOTE]

Not hard if you know it's coming and what strength you need him to be at, no.

I suppose special dispensation must always be made for psychics. As for the rest of us...

Guess I should have read this more. Was wondering why I couldn't use some of the folk I had recruited (in this case Viki), guess they died in battle. That's pretty stupid, never saw a message saying they had died IIRC.

Besides that and the lame rune/magic system, I'm enjoying this game. Really wish I had known about the dying in siege battles beforehand though, as I don't think I have a save that far back.

Not sure I want to start over since I've already had to do some grinding, but having folk die with no way to bring them back is going to annoy me.

Edit: Well hmm, after looking at some sites, it would appear Viki is not playable? Figured she would be since I could use her in the war battles.

bread's done
Back