Suikoden V thread - Post your impressions, reviews and etc here!

[quote name='slidecage']up to around 7 hours now ...... what i play so far its like Part 1 and 2... nothing really ground breaking

im starting to like it even though some parts are plain stupid

like the scared games... you already know who put the sleeping stuff to the person before they even admit it ....

3 hours into it i would probally only gave it a 2-3

i figure if i play an hour a day i have it beat by say Aug 2006 LOL

this is maybe what i really dont like RPGS anymore if im lucky i can only play around 1 MAYBE 2 hours per day now ... thanks to school. work and other stuff i need to do

I remember playing Vandel hearts 1 for 12 hours in a row once and loved that game

same with FF 7[/QUOTE]

I have no problem if you end up not liking it. I just think it's messed up to be judging a game when you have really just started it.

is there a lot of running around having to talk to people are the scared game (dont know if spelling that right)

tired of having to sit though around 5 mins of talking - cutscreens everytime you turn around.... i want to pound some monsters : )

Great, no one answered my question, but instead I'm bombarded with personal scores ,which I don't care about.

Guess nobody knows...

Can't answer your question Rodimus. Not only do I not read EGM, but I tend to ignore mainstream reviews entirely. Especially if I already love a game. Kind of pointless for me to read it at that point.

[quote name='eau']So, how does V compare to III?[/QUOTE]

I think it's better than III, but I'm one person, so who cares.

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']I think it's better than III, but I'm one person, so who cares.[/QUOTE]

i concur...no more dumb trinity crap, more people in battles...the return of a GOOD storyline and likeable characters

i say 5 is hands down better than 3....after trying to play S3 like 4 times i finally finished it the 4th and was just left feeling kinda empty...the game just wasnt what i wanted

[quote name='blackjaw']i concur...no more dumb trinity crap, more people in battles...the return of a GOOD storyline and likeable characters

i say 5 is hands down better than 3....after trying to play S3 like 4 times i finally finished it the 4th and was just left feeling kinda empty...the game just wasnt what i wanted[/QUOTE]

You felt empty from 3? wow.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Definitely better than 3. Easily on par with 2.[/QUOTE]

I agree, much better than 3...not sure about 2 yet, but I haven't finished.

Suikoden V is easily equal to 1 & 2 and in some areas is even better. This is the Suikoden that many of us have been waiting for, and hopefully Konami will continue with this formula instead of trying to change it again.

[quote name='thingsfallnapart']You felt empty from 3? wow.[/QUOTE]

yeah, you know how at the end of some games you feel accomplished or feel glad to have beaten it or like "that game was awesome"....i just felt...blah...empty...the game wasnt worth it...whatever the feeling was it wasnt good

I guess I'll have to give this game a chance since so many CAGs think positively of it. I enjoyed III until about chapter 4 when I suddenly realized I couldn't care less about any of the characters or the story. I quit playing shortly after. I'm still not sure what happened exactly but the game just started boring me to tears. That was about a year ago and I've been trying to get myself to finish it ever since.

AAAAARGH!!! I just got done beating a fairly difficult War Campaign, Which took me a couple tries to do, then after I beat it while I was buying stuff the game froze and I forgot to save.

I went back, and beat it again, but man.... That sucked. Anyone else have the game freeze on you?

Question - Even though I think the war battles are pretty good, anyone find them to be frustrating. It's hard to make a strategy in the game. The enemy comes at you in a cluster and it's hard to make one group target another. Sometimes I want to heal a group but I don't have a chance.

[quote name='cletus']I guess I'll have to give this game a chance since so many CAGs think positively of it. I enjoyed III until about chapter 4 when I suddenly realized I couldn't care less about any of the characters or the story. I quit playing shortly after. I'm still not sure what happened exactly but the game just started boring me to tears. That was about a year ago and I've been trying to get myself to finish it ever since.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you are like me, dont bother. It honestly isnt worth it.

I have to say that I'm loving the soundtrack on S5. It really is pretty rad and varied. Im also impressed with the voiceovers.

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']AAAAARGH!!! I just got done beating a fairly difficult War Campaign, Which took me a couple tries to do, then after I beat it while I was buying stuff the game froze and I forgot to save.

I went back, and beat it again, but man.... That sucked. Anyone else have the game freeze on you?

Question - Even though I think the war battles are pretty good, anyone find them to be frustrating. It's hard to make a strategy in the game. The enemy comes at you in a cluster and it's hard to make one group target another. Sometimes I want to heal a group but I don't have a chance.[/QUOTE]

Keep an eye on that PS2, it might be coming down the home stretch.

I couldn't really get into Suikoden I or III (those are the only ones I have).

I generally enjoy RPGs, but is V better than the ones I already own?

[quote name='willardhaven']I couldn't really get into Suikoden I or III (those are the only ones I have).

I generally enjoy RPGs, but is V better than the ones I already own?[/QUOTE]

You really didn't enjoy Suikoden 1? It's not too long (I think I beat it in 10 hours my first try) and, imo, is a pretty good introduction to the series. I guess it depends upon what you didn't like in part 1 that would make you like part 5.

[quote name='Roufuss']You really didn't enjoy Suikoden 1? It's not too long (I think I beat it in 10 hours my first try) and, imo, is a pretty good introduction to the series. I guess it depends upon what you didn't like in part 1 that would make you like part 5.[/quote]

Really it was just the lack of a run button.

[quote name='willardhaven']Really it was just the lack of a run button.[/QUOTE]

I actually went back and tried to play 1 recently and that pissed me off to no extent

You could run in Suikoden 1, but you had to equip a character with the Holy Rune and they had to be in your party. The character ,Stallion an Elf, had the True Holy Rune which allowed you to run on the overworld map.

Kuma - It's a slim PS2, but that thing does get pretty hot after a couple hours of play.

[quote name='slidecage']off topic but why hasnt there been a VANDEL HEarts for the ps 2[/QUOTE]

They are making one for the DS.

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']AAAAARGH!!! I just got done beating a fairly difficult War Campaign, Which took me a couple tries to do, then after I beat it while I was buying stuff the game froze and I forgot to save.

Question - Even though I think the war battles are pretty good, anyone find them to be frustrating. It's hard to make a strategy in the game. The enemy comes at you in a cluster and it's hard to make one group target another. Sometimes I want to heal a group but I don't have a chance.[/QUOTE]

I usually position someone with an attack Rune near where the opposing army is going to hit, so that if they're looking to attack before I can get their weakness there, I attack with the rune to hurt them and make the unit turn around.

Other than that, I got nothing.

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']You could run in Suikoden 1, but you had to equip a character with the Holy Rune and they had to be in your party. The character ,Stallion an Elf, had the True Holy Rune which allowed you to run on the overworld map.

Kuma - It's a slim PS2, but that thing does get pretty hot after a couple hours of play.[/QUOTE]

Yeah but in 2 there was a button until you got Stallion. I remember him being one of my highest level characters just because of that damn rune.

[quote name='Blind the Thief']I usually position someone with an attack Rune near where the opposing army is going to hit, so that if they're looking to attack before I can get their weakness there, I attack with the rune to hurt them and make the unit turn around.

Other than that, I got nothing.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I try using runes and catapults to weaken the oncoming enemy. But when you hit them they do that little "randomly run anywhere" thing. And sometimes they don't run away, but rather to a place you don't want them to. But I can ussually handle the fights. Also you have to move the cursor super fast if you want to pull something off. I'll think, "Oh damn, I need to heal." But then I get sucked into a fight, and then another. Eventually I forget to heal after all the delays.

Not reading this thread anymore because it's starting to contain MAD spoilers but...

I'm at hour 7 and LOVING IT! I think I'm about to hit a major turning point and can't wait to keep going. Haven't honestly felt this excited about an RPG in quite a long time.

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']I just heard EGM gave it a 6.5. Now I don't care about scoring, but what did they actually wrote about it? Does anyone know?[/QUOTE]

Basically they said

- graphics "lack style"
- "bad cover version"
- "mildly engrossing"
- "lengthy load times"
- "infuriating new camera angle"
- "long winded" story

I couldn't disagree more!

Any idea how to recruit Sorensein (Babbage / the inventor's apprenctice)?

Apparantly I need to recruit him so that I can recruit Babbage later, but it won't let me. Looking online, it says i'm supposed to speak with him and then to go to the Revolving Bridge, talk to a soldier, and go back to Sorensen to kick-start things...but the soldier just says "the bridge can only be rotated from the other side, blah blah blah" and nothing is happening.

Any thoughts? I hope I didn't mess something up...

[quote name='Blind the Thief']Any idea how to recruit Sorensein (Babbage / the inventor's apprenctice)?

Apparantly I need to recruit him so that I can recruit Babbage later, but it won't let me. Looking online, it says i'm supposed to speak with him and then to go to the Revolving Bridge, talk to a soldier, and go back to Sorensen to kick-start things...but the soldier just says "the bridge can only be rotated from the other side, blah blah blah" and nothing is happening.

Any thoughts? I hope I didn't mess something up...[/QUOTE]

First, how far are you in, and also, are you in the middle of another quest? I don't think this character is highly missable, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Scrubking - Thanks, I had a rough idea of what they might not like about it. I can't belive they dissed the story. In the recent years RPGs have had very cliched stories, and Suikoden V seems to avoid many cliches. I'm kinda sick of the "find a mysterious girl, save the world" crap. Even though Suikoden V is based in a "fantasy" world, it feels more real than most RPGs.

I just finished the game last night. I enjoyed it much more than any Suikoden since the first. The story, characters and battles sequences were better than I had expected. Suikoden V ranks right up there with SMT: Nocturne as my favorite RPG experience on the PS2. However, I was quite disappointed with the last portion of the game leading up to the ending. It could be that I was enjoying it so much and just wanted more, but something just didn't feel right.

Also, though I made a conscious effort to check every town/area after every important sequence in the game, I missed a ton of optional characters. I would keep going back to talk to certain characters from time to time hoping they would join, but I couldn't figure out how to recruit many of them. In some cases I would go to the place where a character was earlier and they would be gone, leaving no clue as to whether or not I could/should track them down(waterfall guy, the chef, etc). In previous Suikodens the recruitment process didn't seem so difficult.

[quote name='onikage']In previous Suikodens the recruitment process didn't seem so difficult.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing...it seems way too easy to miss some characters / you have to do some really random stuff to get some people.

So I'm going to start this game tonight. Are there any specific characters that I need to be on the lookout for that have short or missable recruitment periods? I don't want to look at a FAQ since I don't want to spoil anything just yet, but if I know which ones (by name or description) then I can stop when I see them and THEN look at a FAQ for just that person if I can't figure out how to receuit them myself. I'd hate to move on and not be able to get them.

[quote name='io']So I'm going to start this game tonight. Are there any specific characters that I need to be on the lookout for that have short or missable recruitment periods? I don't want to look at a FAQ since I don't want to spoil anything just yet, but if I know which ones (by name or description) then I can stop when I see them and THEN look at a FAQ for just that person if I can't figure out how to receuit them myself. I'd hate to move on and not be able to get them.[/QUOTE]

Oboro is probably the most frustrating, that is if you don't do a certain event.
Nakula
Murad
Killey

Just to name a few. This one has alot of missiable stars. Suikoden 1 had only a couple, like Leon Silverburg's recruitment time frame was very short. Just remember to always ask them to join if you are given the option. Be persistant, and keep asking them, some stars take a little time to convince. After big story events go back and ask all the people you think you can recruit. That's about the best advice I can give you without looking at a FAQs.

EDIT:

Just a reminder Haleth is highly missable. I just missed him and now I'm pissed as hell. 107 stars, and now I've lost all motivation to play. I'll still beat it but I'm really disapointed. The thing that sucks about Suikoden V is it almost forces you to look at a FAQ to get all the characters. Damn I'm pissed!!!

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']

EDIT:

Just a reminder Haleth is highly missable. I just missed him and now I'm pissed as hell. 107 stars, and now I've lost all motivation to play. I'll still beat it but I'm really disapointed. The thing that sucks about Suikoden V is it almost forces you to look at a FAQ to get all the characters. Damn I'm pissed!!![/QUOTE]

OK, that settles it, I'm printing out the stars part of the FAQ, 'cause I don't have the time for this (and I want the "good" ending). The first FAQ up on gamefaqs actually has a spolier free "optional" character section that is separate from all the characters you get during the normal story, so that is perfect.

Played about 2 1/2 hours last night, and now I can see where slidecage was coming from (never thought I'd say that :D). But even if I hadn't read the comments here I'd know it would have to pick up - after all, I've been in a total of about 4 battles, and none of the Duels and War battles yet - which are mentioned in the manual and various reviews. But boy oh boy does this game start off slow. And I am disappointed in the graphics, but only in comparison to the last 2 games I played (Grandia III and DQ8). But that's just a matter of getting used to them. I'm sure once I'm 15 hours in it will be fine (but damn, the slowdown when there's like 6-8 characters on screen with relatively plain backgrounds is a bit inexplicable).

Io - I'm a diehard Suikoden fan and I was falling asleep in the first 10 hours. Intresting story, not much action. Things eventually pick up pace, don't worry. The War battles show up more torwards the end once you build an army.

Still pissed I missed one freakin' star. Guess I gotta play the game again.

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']Io - I'm a diehard Suikoden fan and I was falling asleep in the first 10 hours. Intresting story, not much action. Things eventually pick up pace, don't worry. The War battles show up more torwards the end once you build an army.

Still pissed I missed one freakin' star. Guess I gotta play the game again.[/QUOTE]

that has to suck, i can see missing like 20 of them but 1? that has to hurt

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']EGM gave Grandia III - 8.3 and Suikoden V - 6.5.

Thats just wrong.[/quote]
Those definetly need to be reversed. Grandia is a 7.5 at best, while Suikoden V is an 8 at least.

[quote name='Kuma']that has to suck, i can see missing like 20 of them but 1? that has to hurt[/QUOTE]

Happened to me in Suikoden 2 and missing Clive.

I never played the game since.

[quote name='Msia']Those definetly need to be reversed. Grandia is a 7.5 at best, while Suikoden V is an 8 at least.[/QUOTE]

Well, I'm only 7 hours in (now) so obviously I haven't gotten out of the "slow" part yet, but my personal scores would be 9.0 for Grandia III and 7.0 for Suikoden V based on what I've seen so far (incorporated in that is the fact that I DO expect it to get better - some of the low score is based on the battle system, which seems dull so far). Hopefully it will increase as I get further in. FWIW, I'd give DQ8 a 10.

Wow, let me just say that anyone who is reading this and hasn't played it yet - the story takes a dramatic turn for the better around 10 hours, just like everyone said. This alone has bumped up my personal review score by a notch and I haven't even gotten into the "new" part very far yet.

So far this is shaping up to be one of the best stories I've ever seen in a console game (my favorite to date was actually Fire Emblem PoR of all things - great story in there even though it is not a traditional RPG). To those who have played further, do the twists and turns keep coming in this game, or did I go through the only big one? (Will be disappointed if it stagnates from here :D).

One more question - in the options menu you can select "Voice A" or "Voice B" (or off) for the Prince's voice. I have it set on Voice A - yet I haven't heard him speak yet - he just nods to people or it fades to black when he is explaining things. I assume this changes at some point?

[quote name='io']Wow, let me just say that anyone who is reading this and hasn't played it yet - the story takes a dramatic turn for the better around 10 hours, just like everyone said. This alone has bumped up my personal review score by a notch and I haven't even gotten into the "new" part very far yet.

So far this is shaping up to be one of the best stories I've ever seen in a console game (my favorite to date was actually Fire Emblem PoR of all things - great story in there even though it is not a traditional RPG). To those who have played further, do the twists and turns keep coming in this game, or did I go through the only big one? (Will be disappointed if it stagnates from here :D).

One more question - in the options menu you can select "Voice A" or "Voice B" (or off) for the Prince's voice. I have it set on Voice A - yet I haven't heard him speak yet - he just nods to people or it fades to black when he is explaining things. I assume this changes at some point?[/QUOTE]

No, that voice is mostly for the yells he makes when he's hit in battle, as far as I know.

And yeah, after that HUGE twist there's standard Suikoden plot (we need to help this town, how we gunna do it? etc.) for awhile...but just when I was thinking it would kinda settle itself, there was another big twist (I'm about 35 hours in).

So yes, the story stays good. :)

This game has grabbed me from the beginning.. something that no other Suikoden game has been able to do, with the exception of Suikoden I (I never made it through Suikoden II). Suikoden III took 20 hours to get interesting to me, so the fact that I'm in love with V after such a short time is really telling.

I've already been angry at a few of the game's events, and I'm only around 7 hours in. My favorite part is the characters, they just have so much personality and it is plain to see that they know each other (and some of them just love to get on the others' nerves.. Miakis and the princess, for example :lol: )

If this game keeps getting better as it goes on, it might be a contender for my top rpgs of all time list :hot:

Finally, at about 20 hours hit my first semi-challenging battle - the "twin" things you fight in that water place :D. Not TOO hard, but it was the first time I had to use magic and several healing items. Didn't help that I had 4 new characters with me and hadn't upgraded their weapons at all yet. I had almost forgotten there was magic up to this point (been doing Auto on almost all battles). My biggest knock so far on the game was the uninspired (and easy) random encounter battles. But this one (though it was a boss battle and not random) was excellent - even the graphics got better somehow (lots of spell effects here that I hadn't seen much of before). Hopefully there's more of this to come.

[quote name='io']Finally, at about 20 hours hit my first semi-challenging battle - the "twin" things you fight in that water place :D. Not TOO hard, but it was the first time I had to use magic and several healing items. Didn't help that I had 4 new characters with me and hadn't upgraded their weapons at all yet. I had almost forgotten there was magic up to this point (been doing Auto on almost all battles). My biggest knock so far on the game was the uninspired (and easy) random encounter battles. But this one (though it was a boss battle and not random) was excellent - even the graphics got better somehow (lots of spell effects here that I hadn't seen much of before). Hopefully there's more of this to come.[/QUOTE]

That seemed to be about the only challenging battle for me, and I'm much further in the game. The easy difficulty is definitely my biggest complaint.

Finally got my EGM today, read the review...the only thing that really bothered me is that they called the story "standard." I think it's one of the better stories in an RPG in a long, long time.

I don't understand how people keep saying this game is easy. I would say medium to hard on some of the bosses. I beat the game with like 80 hours on it and I still felt that my characters were weak compared to the monsters and bosses.

It was a miracle that I defeated the last boss. All my characters had died except Zerase and Eresh and I was just about to turn it off when a spell finally killed the guy.

bread's done
Back