Super Famicom Voltage Question

naruto179

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
So I ended up with a free Super Famicom. It has the original ac adapter. It's Japanese so it is 100v, but I'm going to use it in the States which is 110v. Would it be safe to use it here, or is there a better alternative? I was reading you can use an NES ac adapter or original Sega Master System ac adapter, but I don't know how much truth there is to this.

You may want to look at buy a voltage converter, because the transformer in the Famicom might now be able to handle the 110 load. Voltage converters can be found for reasonable prices.

Yeah, I was starting to consider the option of a converter. I tried playing the Super Famicom with the original adapter for a little while. Nothing seemed to be getting hot, so maybe it's fine. Would their be anything internally though that but touch I wouldn't notice?

The 10 volt difference might not be large enough to mess with the transformer in the original power adapter, but you wouldn't really know unless you let it run for a while. It will get hot none the less, it just depends on whether the addition 10 volts will cause the transformer to start melting components. If you plan on playing it a lot I would suggest getting a converter just for safety and that way you don't have to keep checking the adapter, but if your just going to play it sparringly then you might be able to get away with your orginal adapter.

A convertor usually isn't neccesary. I have multiple japanese systems, SFC PC Engines (japanese Turbografx), and have never had any issues.

[quote name='nectarsis1']A convertor usually isn't neccesary. I have multiple japanese systems, SFC PC Engines (japanese Turbografx), and have never had any issues.[/QUOTE]
Ditto. You'll be just fine without a convertor, OP.

bread's done
Back